Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review of Kasey Ireland Trip!!!!!  (Read 18269 times)
Maggie
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 06:29PM »

Total side note here sorry,
But if you want to buy souvenirs do it at the airport. SOOOOOOOOO MUCH Cheaper.

Better yet.....don't buy any souvenirs.
Tell family and friends the only thing you'll be bringing back is yourself.
Shopping in Ireland takes up too much time, money, and baggage allowance.
And anyway.....everything you would buy in Ireland you can get (probably cheaper) on the internet.

Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 08:00PM »

Better yet.....don't buy any souvenirs.
Tell family and friends the only thing you'll be bringing back is yourself.
Shopping in Ireland takes up too much time, money, and baggage allowance.
And anyway.....everything you would buy in Ireland you can get (probably cheaper) on the internet.

Ooooooooo I dunno on that one. I have to disagree. I ALWAYS buy souvenirs no matter what country I'm in. It's part of the fun for me! I know they are just items and material things, but looking at them brings back all of the memories and you can keep them forever.

However, I do agree that you have to be careful not to run out of room in your suitcase!!!! I always usually get small stuff. One of my favorite things that I've ever gotten was a necklace that my Dad bought for me in Christchurch Cathedral in Dublin. It has a shamrock on it and I love it. My second favorite is my claddagh ring, purchased in a small shop in a town somewhere outside of Killarney (I think). I also got a few other trinkets, including a small Irish flag that I display on my bookshelf along with a small American flag. Another fav was a paperweight from the Guinness Storehouse, but that was free so it probably doesn't count. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy I dunno, I'm getting off track but my point is that souvenirs usually have meaning, and that's why I personally buy them. I could get a claddagh ring anywhere on the internet, but when I look at mine I am taken back to the shop that I purchased it from and the day we spent sightseeing outside of Killarney.

Anyway, I think souvenirs are awesome but just keep it small so you don't have to bring another suitcase. Hahaha. Shopping rules. My two cents on the matter.

Kasey, I'm glad you had an awesome trip, dude. I'd love to go back and retrace your footsteps because it sounds like the trip of a lifetime, although I dunno if I'd have as much energy as you did, even at age 25, lol.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:04PM by Emily! » Logged

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 07:06AM »

It truly sounds like the trip of a life time!!  I would not have remembered ANY of it after the first night if I had tried to keep up with you, Kasey!!! Undecided  As for the souvenirs-- I used to bring back a small amount of dirt from all the places I went.  ( Some of the places were ALL dirt!! LOL)  But on one trip I was ask to come back to an office while they took the vial out-- carefully-- and ask me about it. I can certainly understand why that happened, considering where I was coming from,and I haven't done it since.

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
Maggie
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 11:24AM »

Ooooooooo I dunno on that one. I have to disagree. I ALWAYS buy souvenirs no matter what country I'm in.
 It's part of the fun for me!

Just different views...and different ages!  Cheesy
I'm not a tourist in Ireland or UK so never think of buying souvenirs.
The souvenirs I have are in my heart. Having said that I do bring back some priceless items.....
paintings done by Thomas Patrick specially for Nanna and Gramps......and impressions of his little hands.
Dave has bought me souvenirs of special occasions....his first visit to Ireland he bought me a gold Claddagh ring
from a little jewelry shop in Templemore.
Also antique Claddagh earrings to remember a special family gathering in Birmingham UK.

My Mother used to love photos I took on vacation in France, Spain, Italy etc..
....then I would write a little love note on and frame them for her. It's a good idea....so much more tangible than
emailing them. (Mammy never saw an email, and now she gets all her messages delivered by angels)
During 5 years as a FEMA damage inspector, I have spoken with and hugged thousands of people
who have lost their homes and everything in them.
(Yes I know, FEMA aren't supposed to hug people!)
What they mourn most are photographs of loved ones and family occasions....weddings, Christenings etc.

Dave and I have had 2 big moves during our 30 years together, when we threw out a lot of "stuff".
We are getting ready to throw out a lot more "stuff" as we prepare to spend more time over the Pond, God willing.
If we had kept all the "souvenirs" we would need to rent a couple of warehouses! Cheesy

....I used to bring back a small amount of dirt from all the places I went.  ( Some of the places were ALL dirt!! LOL)  But on one trip I was ask to come back to an office while they took the vial out-- carefully-- and ask me about it. I can certainly understand why that happened, considering where I was coming from,and I haven't done it since.

In with the dirt you could be importing disease or tiny insects which could ruin a country's agriculture.
Ireland is very strict on that, being a largely agricultural Country.
When I lived in Palma de Mallorca, there were Oil Drillers from the USA based there for R&R.
They worked in the Middle East, teaching the Kuwaitis, Algerians, Saudis etc how to build rigs and drill for oil.
They brought scorpions into Mallorca, either accidentally in luggage or deliberately.
The Government spent millions trying to get rid of them.

This is what US Customs says under "Prohibited Items" :

Soil
Soil is considered the loose surface material of the earth in which plants, trees, and scrubs grow.
In most cases, the soil consists of disintegrated rock with an admixture of organic material and soluble salts.
Soil is prohibited entry unless accompanied by an import permit. Soil must be declared
and the permit must be verified.

To get back on topic (sorry) I know Kasey brought his Mom some Waterford Crystal, and had tattoos done (ugh!)
but I hope he didn't overdo it with the souvenirs.
Would like to see some pics though!
(Not the classified ones  Wink )

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 11:35AM by Maggie » Logged
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 01:12PM »

Just different views...and different ages!  Cheesy
I'm not a tourist in Ireland or UK so never think of buying souvenirs.

True.

I agree though that the photos are the most priceless. They are the first things that get bagged up or placed in waterproof containers when there's a threat of a hurricane. Our vacation photos are among the favorites.

So Kasey.....when are we going to see pics of these tattoos?Huh? Grin Grin Grin

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Antiup

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 02:36PM »

For souvenirs I am kind of forced into it. I have two nieces that look for things everytime I come home from an adventure so I have to spoil them. (They got Ireland sweaters and T-shirts) I did not go to crazy on them though. Some Key Chains, Butlers Chocolates and Maggies Surprise (which should be in the mail by now) Nothing that clogs the baggage. I will always have the photos and memories. I have not been able to get the adventure out  of my head. lol.

I use to collect soil from all the places as well. I wanted to bring home some from Iraq but strict customs laws and inspections stopped that one. Lucky for me I still had enough sand in my ears, toes and uniforms to fill up a whole jar. Sand just gets everywhere. lol.

Tattoo pics huh??? I think this one is classified. lol. lol. its nothing major and pics should be on Facebook Wednesday night of the whole trip. lol.  Wink well maybe not the whole trip.  Wink

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

What a trip!!!!
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 04:20PM »

Hahaha okay cool. I will look for the photos on FB.  Grin

Maggie
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 06:18AM »

Hahaha okay cool. I will look for the photos on FB.  Grin

Ya mean I have to join facebook to see Kasey's photos?  Shocked   Don't want to do that.

Kasey - I want a private showing....including the classified ones.

Quote from Kasey:
"Got a quick powernap and off to Barney Castle to kiss the stone. Good times.
Found it pretty easily and got pics of me kissing the stone.
Like you really need me to be able to talk any more."

He means BLARNEY Castle of course. I think he must have been thinking of Barney Rubble!

In case you don't know, kissing the Blarney Stone is supposed to give you the gift of eloquence...
 this enables you to talk your way out of anything.....the art of B.S.
(Irish people are born with it)

Kasey I told you before you went, you didn't need to kiss the Blarney Stone!!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:55AM by Maggie » Logged
bpea55

Orlagh, So happy for you, Mom to be! WOO HOO!!!

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 02:18PM »

OK...I'm off to find Kasey's FB page!
Bp

"While we seek Myrth and Beauty and Music light and gay, there are frail forms waiting at the door.....though their voices are silent, their pleading lips will say,
"Oh, Hard times, come again no more..."
Thanks so much Orlagh!
I will always remember...
Angie
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2010, 07:20AM »

Happy you had such a wonderful adventure Kasey - sounds fabulous!  I have to go there one day - hopefully soon - lately I have been going there via Maeve Binchey's books, just finished my 4th, and I have 3 others waiting in the wings. she's great, but I would rather go there in person.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: