Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies about Ireland  (Read 138533 times)
Conchobar
Total Fanatic

« on: August 18, 2007, 10:26PM »

I thought I would start a thread on movies about Ireland. Feel free to add on. These are just my favorites. I will give a very brief synopses of each.

Gangs of New York: Stellar cast, Scorsese, good tale of the Irish in America at the time.

Far and Away: Not a Tom Cruise fan, but good tale of how the Irish overcame difficulties to rise.

Michael Collins: Liam Neeson as the big fella!! Great story of the Irish war for independence, and the problems thereafter.

Bloom: Incredible adaptation of James Joyces "Ulysses (my favorite book)  starring Stephen Rea as Leopold Bloom! Not to be missed.

Nora: The story of Joyce and his wife Nora played by Ewan McGregor, and Susan Lynch. Great story but not for the easily offended.

In the Name of the Father: Daniel Day Lewis as Gerry Conlon and the story of the Guildford Four. Incredible!!!

Veronica Guerein: Cate Blanchett in the story of a reporter who delves into dublins dark drug underground

Bloody Sunday: Starring no one you know but a realistic account of the events of that tragic day. Shot documentary style, it is very good. Plus the extras have eye witness accounts and are just as good as the film.

Truth is just like time, it catches up, and it just keeps going.  DW
KiernanKate
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 10:36PM »

Dancing at Lughnasa: I'm not sure if it's about Ireland too much but the story line is based in Ireland
fireyred09
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 10:37PM »

Widow's Peak: Again, not solely about Ireland, but takes place there.
Conchobar
Total Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 10:44PM »

Dancing at Lugnasa? Meryl Streep? I love it.
Havent seen widows peak so I need more details.

One more from me, or maybe two

This is the Sea,
Last of the High Kings

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 11:44PM »

The Quiet Man

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 02:27AM »

My own favourites:

The Wind that Shakes the Barley:
Very emotional for me. Filmed in West Cork. Set in 1920 when the Black & Tans clash with the locals, and two brothers struggle through civil war. All Irish cast, which means the accents are REAL, unlike in Far & Away.

Waking Ned Divine - comedy which was filmed in the Isle of Man, but the cast is entirely Irish and so is the humour. Marvellous tale!!!

Secret of Roan Inish - magical tale filmed on the coast of Donegal. I still want to adopt the little boy in this movie!

Agnes Browne:
Good tale of Dublin women, funny in parts, very moving in others. Good cast.
I thought this was more of a "chick-flick" but my husband enjoyed it too.

Into the West (1992) -  a wonderful movie filmed in Dublin suburbs. Great cast, including Gabriel Byrne, Ellen Barkin and Colm Meaney.
And a lovely horse, which made it a winner for me.
(Caution - there is a Spielberg mini-series of the same name, set in the American West......not as much fun!)

"Omagh" and "Veronica Guerin" are Irish movies which I can't say are my favourites, but they are very disturbing because they are true stories, and very well done.
Omagh tells the awful story of a brutal and senseless bombing in Northern Ireland.
Veronica Guerin is about a woman journalist who tried to make a difference and stop the drug dealers destroying the lives of children. There was a fine line between her bravery and recklessness.

Oldies I love:
My Wild Irish Rose (1947) About an Irish tenor and the girl he loves.
Sentimental for me, because this was my Dad's song for me. He taught me to waltz to it.
Shake Hands with the Devil:
I love this because James Cagney was my Mum's favourite, and I watched it with her one Saturday night.....just my Mum & I, a box of chocolates and James Cagney!

The Quiet Man:

Of course I love this movie. it was my Dad's all-time favourite.

Ryan's Daughter:

Because I AM Ryan's daughter....... I'm not like the unfaithful wife in the movie though!!!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 02:31AM by Maggie » Logged
Conchobar
Total Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 03:17AM »

*Banging head on table*  How could I forget "The Quiet Man"!!!! I still have a crush on Maureen O'Hara!!
I so want to see "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" but haven't been able to find it
Loved "Secret Of Roan Inish"!   

Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 04:20AM »

If you need to see "Visions Of Ireland" by PBS, go here:
http://www.celticwomanforum.com/index.php?topic=1362.msg31611#new

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
KILARNEY06

Some F.O.O.L.S never learn

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 07:49AM »

The Quiet Man was great, and  waking Ned Divine is also a must see.

I have never met a man who has given me as much trouble as myself.
Texas Chava

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 08:26AM »

I'm not sure if there was another "Wind That Shakes the Barley" but a new one is coming out on DVD on September 4th starring my favorite,
Cillian Murphy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng7hOiaC2Zk
   (A peak at the movie)

Another movie I really enjoyed is:  "The Boys and Girl From County Clare"  which features lots of great music and a Corr in a starring role.

"Amgela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt was so depressing but I have such a new found respect for Frank McCourt since I read he was a NYC public school teacher forever!

A cute movie and autobiography of Jim Sheridan is "In America" about an Irish family coming to America after a tragedy.  Great, uplifting movie!

"This is My Father" written by and starring Aidan Quinn

I like all the movies mentioned before too.   Cheesy

"Intermission" funny tale with Cillian again, Colin Farrel, Colm Meany and the guys singing Newgrange in a really funny way (round and round went the cherry walls).

More Cillian Murphy movies in Ireland: "Breakfast on Pluto", "On the Edge" (he even speaks in Irish in this one).

His new movie is "The Edge of Love" and though while not Irish, it is about Dylan Thomas and takes place in Wales.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 09:33AM by Chava » Logged

Banner by Scott
Maggie
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 11:29AM »

I'm not sure if there was another "Wind That Shakes the Barley" but a new one is coming out on DVD on September 4th starring my favorite, Cillian Murphy.

So you like that Irish eye-candy, eh? Wink Wink Wink

Yes that's the right movie, but that version of  Óró Sé do Beatha 'Bhaile is not the one in the movie, it is Sinéad O'Connor's version, which is also very good. She sings it with passion, which is how it was meant to be sung when Padraic Pearse wrote it.

Here is the trailer for the movie. It is a superb movie, but is not for minors.
I really should not be the one to critique this movie.
You should watch it a couple of times, you might have a problem understanding the Cork accent the first time round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc61Cjmmbkg
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 11:59AM »

Wow! Those are nice video links about this subject. Smiley

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Maggie
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 12:40PM »

*Banging head on table*  How could I forget "The Quiet Man"!!!! I still have a crush on Maureen O'Hara!!
I so want to see "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" but haven't been able to find it

My copy of "the wind that shakes the barley" was sent from Ireland almost a year ago.
It won the Palme D'Or in Cannes, but wasn't released in the USA until 3/16/07, and then only to a limited number of theaters.....that was a big mistake! They missed out on a lot of money.
Most of the British audiences didn't like it of course........"our soldiers could never be that brutal!" Shocked

Yeah, right........
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 12:44PM »

If I could have one, then would be able to contain the features?

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Texas Chava

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 03:29PM »

I just love that Irish eye candy, Maggie.  The first time I saw Cillian Murphy was at 2:00 in the morning on HBO in 'Red Eye".  I kept thinking to myself that no one on the face of the earth could possibly be that good looking!  You should watch "Breakfast on Pluto".  It is about the IRA, Cillian starts as Kitty, and it also stars Liam Neeson and another all time fave of mine, Stephen Rea.  Hey Maggie, I just love Celtic men, that's why I married me one!~  Wink

Banner by Scott
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: