Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies about Ireland  (Read 138535 times)
KiernanKate
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 03:33PM »

I should be banging my head on the table!!!

I forgot Gone with the Wind!!!!!!!!

lol not very Irish or anything but .... Scarlett was Irish
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 03:36PM »

Scarlett? Who's/What's Scarlett? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Texas Chava

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 03:47PM »

Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler, Kimberly.  It is a very long movie, but definitely a classic.  Ask your parents about it..."Gone With the Wind"

Banner by Scott
Maggie
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 04:16PM »

I should be banging my head on the table!!!

I forgot Gone with the Wind!!!!!!!!
lol not very Irish or anything but .... Scarlett was Irish

No, her father was Irish. She had never been there.
There was nothing Irish in the movie as far as I remember, except the quote from her father about the Land. (he was supposed to be Irish)
Wickster
Honorary Roadie

Class of 2011!

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 04:23PM »

My own favourites:

The Wind that Shakes the Barley:
Very emotional for me. Filmed in West Cork. Set in 1920 when the Black & Tans clash with the locals, and two brothers struggle through civil war. All Irish cast, which means the accents are REAL, unlike in Far & Away.

Waking Ned Divine - comedy which was filmed in the Isle of Man, but the cast is entirely Irish and so is the humour. Marvellous tale!!!

Secret of Roan Inish - magical tale filmed on the coast of Donegal. I still want to adopt the little boy in this movie!

Agnes Browne:
Good tale of Dublin women, funny in parts, very moving in others. Good cast.
I thought this was more of a "chick-flick" but my husband enjoyed it too.

Into the West (1992) -  a wonderful movie filmed in Dublin suburbs. Great cast, including Gabriel Byrne, Ellen Barkin and Colm Meaney.
And a lovely horse, which made it a winner for me.
(Caution - there is a Spielberg mini-series of the same name, set in the American West......not as much fun!)

"Omagh" and "Veronica Guerin" are Irish movies which I can't say are my favourites, but they are very disturbing because they are true stories, and very well done.
Omagh tells the awful story of a brutal and senseless bombing in Northern Ireland.
Veronica Guerin is about a woman journalist who tried to make a difference and stop the drug dealers destroying the lives of children. There was a fine line between her bravery and recklessness.

Oldies I love:
My Wild Irish Rose (1947) About an Irish tenor and the girl he loves.
Sentimental for me, because this was my Dad's song for me. He taught me to waltz to it.
Shake Hands with the Devil:
I love this because James Cagney was my Mum's favourite, and I watched it with her one Saturday night.....just my Mum & I, a box of chocolates and James Cagney!

The Quiet Man:

Of course I love this movie. it was my Dad's all-time favourite.

Ryan's Daughter:

Because I AM Ryan's daughter....... I'm not like the unfaithful wife in the movie though!!!

Ryans Daughter,Waking Ned Diving and The Quiet man are three of my all time favorite movies!!

i love angelas ashes as well, i read the book..and i cry everytime i watch it

Maureen O'Hara is one of my favorite actresses of all time, she beats out any actress of today, [of course im biased lol]

Wickiexxx

"Even when they have nothing, the Irish emit a kind of happiness, a joy."
-Fiona Shaw
Conchobar
Total Fanatic

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 05:02PM »

When I went to Ireland I happened upon the beach in Dingle where part of Ryans Daughter was filmed. A film canister fillled with the sand sits proudly on my Irish bookcase. 

Truth is just like time, it catches up, and it just keeps going.  DW
Maggie
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 02:14AM »

When I went to Ireland I happened upon the beach in Dingle where part of Ryans Daughter was filmed. A film canister fillled with the sand sits proudly on my Irish bookcase. 

I rode a beautiful horse on that beach! It's at Castlegregory, and also Glenbeigh Strand.
We stayed in a B&B farmhouse not far away, and the farmer let me run his horse on the beach. Unforgettable moment. I have a picture somewhere.......

Not this one, but it's all I can find right now:
Anderpaw
Total Fanatic

Love the pipes!

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 01:15PM »

I know that this isn't an Irish movie, but I recently watched "Local Hero" with Peter Riegert and Burt Lancaster that is set in Scotland. Burt Lancaster plays an oil tycoon who wants to buy a town in Scotland for a refinery site and he sends Riegert to the town to negotiate with the people there. In the movie they mentioned a ceili, and then there was a scene in the town's dance hall with a band, dancing, drinks, food - a ceili. The question I have is a ceili an Irish tradition or do the other Celtic cultures embrace it as well?

Texas Chava

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 03:38PM »

Maggie would know the answer for sure (along with a few others here) but I did go to the Houston Highland Games (Scottish event) and they had a ceili.

Banner by Scott
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 03:41PM »

A ceilidh is the equivalent to the Irish ceili.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Maggie
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 04:07PM »

The question I have is a ceili an Irish tradition or do the other Celtic cultures embrace it as well?

The Scots have a Céilidh too, (that's the Scottish spelling) but of course it's not half as much fun as an Irish one!!!
That's not just bias, it's a fact.....I've been to both.

The Scottish one is composed of couples dancing together circling the dance floor. sometimes they do a "progressive" dance where the lady progresses to the next gentleman.

Irish Céili dancing is usually performed in a circle or several lines.

Here is a céilí in a Church Hall in Ireland, one of the dances they do is Scottish "The Gay Gordons", and by the way , that means the cheerful Gordon Highlanders Regiment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiojq3D24dk

This is amazing! A Japanese Céilí band....they're good too. There's a guy in front eating with chopsticks.
I think Irish music has taken over Japan........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGlYJ5_g-CQ
Maggie
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 04:15PM »

A ceilidh is the equivalent to the Irish ceili.

Rich, I started my post before yours was on there, but it took me longer, because I had to watch several céilís on YouTube, most of which were c**p.

Didn't want you to think I was ignoring your excellent answer! Wink

Whenever I see that notice "Someone else has posted' I think "I'll have a look in a minute".
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 04:29PM by Maggie » Logged
Conchobar
Total Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 05:49PM »

Maggie,
Thanks for that. I have a friend who several years ago spent St. Patricks Day in Japan and called me from there very depressed because no one (not even Americans) would acknowledge the day. I received the most depressing video ever made.
On the same story he also sent me a newspaper clipping from the Irish embassy saying that anyone who was or could claim Irish ancestry were welcome to the embassy that night for a dinner and reception.
He had a great time.
Once again proving that the Irish never forget their own. 

Truth is just like time, it catches up, and it just keeps going.  DW
Texas Chava

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2007, 04:51PM »

My husband found an movie  in Ireland for me last night.  It was on the IFC channel (that along with Sundance seem to have some really good, different kinds of movies).  It was called "The Last of the High Kings".  It was not as good as the title, more of a teen movie but beautiful landscapes.  The mother in the movie was played by Catherine O'Hara (Home Alone) and Maggie, even though she is an American actress, I just kept thinking about you the whole time....she was a red head, and passionate about everything Irish and not afraid to tell anyone what was on her mind! Catch the movie is you can sometime. 

Banner by Scott
Anderpaw
Total Fanatic

Love the pipes!

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2007, 06:58PM »

Thanks, Maggie and Rich. You were right, Maggie. From the way I saw it portrayed in the movie, the Scottish Céilidh seemed much tamer than the Irish Céili I've heard about.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: