Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies about Ireland  (Read 138556 times)
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #195 on: March 30, 2009, 08:40PM »

My favorite

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2009, 10:53PM »

THE QUIET MAN!!!! got it for my birthday now i can watch it whenever i want to!

My favorite

If you were going to be in Ireland in mid-April, you could be shown around the parts of Mayo and Galway where it was filmed.....by a redhead.  OK I'm not Maureen O'Hara, but you can't have everything! And I know that area like it was my Mom's back yard......
Oh wait - it was my Mom's back yard! Cheesy

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2009, 11:09PM »

So Maggie was that little red headed girl in the background? (There had to be one at least.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Angie
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #198 on: March 31, 2009, 08:58AM »

I love Darby O'Gill and the Little People - it's a Disney film - and yes, Sean Connery is worth watching it for - but I love the whole thing.  Angela's Ashes is VERY sad, but definitely interesting and worth watching - I couldn't figure out why it was called that though, since she didn't die, but my daughter , who is somewhat mentally challenged had an ephiphany - she said mom, I think it is because she is living in the ashes of her LIFE!  Blew me away !!!  Anyone have any other ideas?

Angie
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #199 on: March 31, 2009, 09:01AM »

I love  The Quiet Man  too.  Definitely a favorite.

celticheart18
Honorary Roadie

You'll always have my heart...

« Reply #200 on: April 09, 2009, 11:39AM »

I'm watching the Quiet man right now and i didn't realize that the Isle of Innisfree is played in the score of the movie. so beautiful!
Benyi

« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2009, 05:44PM »

"The Wind that Shakes the Barley."

I liked this picture a lot. Seen in V.S.O. and enjoyed with real Irish accent. Great movie, cast and history. Superb Soundtrack, too,  especially the song: “Oró, sé do beatha ‘bhaile”
 Wink
Maggie
« Reply #202 on: May 13, 2009, 10:01AM »

"The Wind that Shakes the Barley."

I liked this picture a lot. Seen in V.S.O. and enjoyed with real Irish accent. Great movie, cast and history. Superb Soundtrack, too,  especially the song: “Oró, sé do beatha ‘bhaile”
 Wink

I have the DVD of The Wind that shakes the barley. I had to order it from Ireland as it was not issued here at the time.
I think the best version of "Oró" is Sinéad O'Connor.

usted está in Barcelona?
Viví en Palma de Mallorca durante 5 años, hasta 1980. Soy Irlandesa.
Visité Barcelona muchas veces. Aquí en Florida, ellos hablan español sudamericano mas que Castellaño.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:03AM by Maggie » Logged
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #203 on: May 13, 2009, 11:38AM »

I loved Wind that Shakes the Barley, Thanks to a Tipperary fey. It hits pretty close to home and Maggie knows why.
I just loaned it to a friend at work. He is interested in that and the one of Michael Collins. A few years ago, he and his wife were in Belfast and were quite nervous about being in a pub as this was during the Troubles.
If you haven’t seen it, it takes place in County Cork where my family is from.

Jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #204 on: May 13, 2009, 02:24PM »

A few years ago, he and his wife were in Belfast and were quite nervous about being in a pub as this was during the Troubles.Jim

When I worked for LWT in 1981, my Boss Andrew (not his real name) was married to a Catholic girl from Omagh, County Tyrone. Andrew was clean shaven, very sharp-looking with short hair and a London accent.
His wife had 2 brothers, who knew which pubs they could go into, and which others would be dangerous for Catholics.

Andrew, his wife and her brothers went into a "Catholic" pub one night.
He started to enter the bathroom and was being followed by 2 Irishmen. He suddenly realized he might be in danger, and went back to the table. His brothers-in-law had a word with the 2 guys.......they had thought he was an off-duty British soldier.
In those days, that could have endangered his life.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 02:27PM by Maggie » Logged
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #205 on: May 13, 2009, 02:36PM »

Well my friend and his wife are about 5feet 2 and definitely could not be considered British. Little people maybe<g>

Jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #206 on: May 13, 2009, 03:00PM »

Well my friend and his wife are about 5feet 2 and definitely could not be considered British. Little people maybe<g>
Jim

The point is though, most Americans never really understood the situation in Northern Ireland, and might say the wrong thing, with good intentions.
The best rule while in Northern Ireland during those troubled times was - do not comment in any way on the political situation,or religion, or make jokes about it.
Thank God those days are gone.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 03:02PM by Maggie » Logged
Bluefire
Total Fanatic

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

« Reply #207 on: May 13, 2009, 03:34PM »

"Circle of Friends"

More set in Ireland than about, but I figured I'd throw this out there.  We watched this film in my Irish Theater Lit. class in college.  Pretty good film, actually.

And if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free!
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #208 on: May 13, 2009, 06:14PM »

Amen Maggie. Never let Ireland fall backwards to those times. too Many have died as shown in the movies Michalel Collins and Wind that shakes the barley (See, On topic and not political).

Jim

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Angie
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #209 on: May 14, 2009, 12:58PM »

There is a good movie showing this month, can't rember the channel - possibly AMC, I'm not sure, and it isn't set in Ireland, but is about the  "Fighting Irish"  Notre Dame.  "RUDY" - I saw it about 10-12 years ago, and haven't seen it around since.  It stars Sean Astin, as Rudy, and itis a wonderful story, won't give it away, VERY INSPIRING!  Check it out on cable or satelite this month.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: