Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies about Ireland  (Read 138553 times)
shankdee
Honorary Roadie

"We were all talking about you" said Lisa Kelly

« Reply #210 on: May 17, 2009, 01:30AM »

Smiley  Don't have time to read through the 14 pages of this thread...so sorry if this MOVIE has been mentioned. Embarrassed

Echoes   from Maeve Binchy's story  set in 1950's  Ireland...Runnning time 209 Minutes..

a windswept Irish seaside town fills with eager vacationers...but Clair and David dream of escaping their lives there
Claire wins a scholarship to Univeristy in Dublin...David is there studying medicine

Starring: Geraldine James  Siobhan Garahy, Denise McCormack, Robert Hines, Stephen Holland, Dermot Crowley and John
Kavanaugh  and is in TWO parts VHS...
I have not watched it yet...but I am going to send it to Kelli for her auctions... Cheesy

shankdee

Thanks For my Beautiful Deirdre Banner...GodsHorseGirl* * *
Maggie
« Reply #211 on: May 17, 2009, 05:17AM »

There is a good movie showing this month, can't rember the channel - possibly AMC, I'm not sure, and it isn't set in Ireland, but is about the  "Fighting Irish"  Notre Dame.  "RUDY" - I saw it about 10-12 years ago, and haven't seen it around since.  It stars Sean Astin, as Rudy, and itis a wonderful story, won't give it away, VERY INSPIRING! 

I worked for 2 major TV Studios in the UK, which I really enjoyed.
However, one lasting side-effect of working in the industry is.... it gives you a very critical eye.
I notice all kinds of errors in TV and movies, especially in continuity, costume, and the correct time period.

Rudy is an inspiring story, and the cast is good especially Sean Astin, but it has a lot of errors.
The story is set in the early 1970s, but there were several modern vehicles in it, including a Ford Explorer and a Toyota Corolla. Modern street lights and flood lights were used.
One kid wore a shirt with "Jerome Bettis" on.....Dave told me Bettis didn't play until the 90s.
Boom mics were visible.......a poster showed the WTC twin towers which were not built in 1971.
Shots of football crowds showed the wrong colours and banners for the teams supposed to be playing.

OK, these things may not spoil your enjoyment of the movie, but to me they show sloppy work,
 and not taking pride in the craft of movie making, and a lack of respect for the audience.

"Hey, get me some stock shots of football crowds, nobody's gonna notice which teams they're for". Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 05:23AM by Maggie » Logged
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #212 on: May 17, 2009, 08:16PM »

maggie you must have roared when watching old westerns and seeing telephone wires or a plane flying in the background during the horse chases.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #213 on: May 17, 2009, 11:41PM »

maggie you must have roared when watching old westerns and seeing telephone wires or a plane flying in the background during the horse chases.Jim

Yes..... Cheesy.....there were a few of those!

A trumpeter in Ben Hur had a wristwatch on, modern bound books can be seen on a shelf, and motorcycles can be heard.
Also, tracks of the camera vehicle can be seen in the arena.

Wouldn't happen in an Irish movie........ Wink
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #214 on: June 16, 2014, 06:50PM »

How  about ...  "The  Secret  Of  Roan  Innish "     Undecided 

Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #215 on: June 17, 2014, 01:49PM »

I know one. My parents and I have seen a film called "The Last Leprechaun" and the film is really set in Ireland.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
oregongirl29
« Reply #216 on: June 17, 2014, 11:59PM »

Angela's Ashes was a good movie, but really sad.

The Secret Of Roan Irish was another good movie.

To add to the list of movies here, A Shine Of Rainbows is a great movie. But you will need some tissues close to the end.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:03AM by Irishgirl29 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: