Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Scottish heritage  (Read 4804 times)
Anderpaw
Total Fanatic

Love the pipes!

« on: February 21, 2011, 02:25AM »

I've been digging around on ancestry.com and have come across my earliest Anderson ancestor. Robert Anderson, who was born in 1575 and seemingly lived his life in Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland. The information I have come across is a bit erratic and sketchy, as you can imagine, but is quite exciting as well!

Maggie
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 12:38PM »

I've been digging around on ancestry.com and have come across my earliest Anderson ancestor. Robert Anderson, who was born in 1575 and seemingly lived his life in Alloa, Clackmannanshire, Scotland. The information I have come across is a bit erratic and sketchy, as you can imagine, but is quite exciting as well!

There are indeed many Andersons in that part of Scotland.
You might find this interesting:
(By the way, over the pond "lieutenant" is pronounced "leftenant")

http://www.clacksweb.org.uk/community/lordlieutenant/

It is quite difficult to trace Scottish ancestors beyond the Jacobite/Williamite Wars.
As with the Irish, the Jacobites had to lie low or face annihilation.

I think this would be a good place to start - the Anderson Association:
http://www.anderson-assoc.org/page4.html

Membership is only 12 Pounds, or $19.50.
You would probably learn more from them, and get more authentic information than from other
genealogical sources.
The Chairman/ Editor is David A. R. Waterton-Anderson KSG.
The KSG means Knight of the Order of Saint Gregory.

I think you'll enjoy the "Heraldry" section.
I studied Heraldry along with Genealogy, it has it's own language taken from Norman French.
The devices on the shield are not a "crest", they are the Coat-of-Arms.
The crest is a seperate piece which surmounts the COA, in the case of a Military man, it is usually a helmet.
The Coat of Arms was handed down to the eldest son only, not the whole family.
Therefore there is no such thing as a "family crest" for one name. There is a huge industry in selling such things,
 but no guarantee it has anything at all to do with your family.
The History they sell is an approximate history of the name, not of an individual family.

The Coat of Arms was awarded to one particular person for his achievements, much like a medal in today's Military.
It was worn on the shields of the division or regiment under his command, so they were recognizable in Battle.
The devices are called Armorial Bearings, because they were borne on his armour or shield.
There may have been many Anderson Coats of Arms, just as soldiers today in the same family
can be awarded different medals. That does not mean their descendants have the right to wear them.
In ancient times that would have been as serious as someone claiming to be a Vietnam Veteran when he never served.

Nor can anyone just invent their own Coat of Arms......in England they are regulated and granted
to individuals by the College of Arms.
Arms are not usually granted to non-British citizens, unless you can provide proof you are
a direct descendant of someone who was granted arms.
In Scotland, Coats of Arms are regulated by:
http://www.lyon-court.com/lordlyon/221.185.html

We don't know which Anderson was awarded the following COA, but it tells us a lot about him.
 The red Cross of Saint Andrew means he was a warrior.
The crimped edges tell us he owned tilled land.
The star tells us he was a noble person.
The 3 crescents mean he was honoured by the sovereign 3 times,
for serving in the Crusades, maybe in all 3 campaigns.

I have some more bits for you, I've sent you two emails.

Anderson Motto: "Stand Sure"
The oak and acorns signify antiquity and continuous strength:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: