Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Session (Seisiún) - What is it?  (Read 2877 times)
Maggie
« on: March 01, 2011, 03:26AM »

You have all heard of an Irish Session, or Seisiún in Irish.

Those of you who have been to Ireland might have been in a traditional Pub,
when musicians start to wander in with their instruments.
They gather around the fire, or at a table, and start to play. There can also be singing, dancing and poetry.
It is amazing how a random group can play together so well, but most of them know the same session tunes.
There is an etiquette to joining in a session, even if a famous musician wants to join in, he/she must ask
the other musicians. Every Irish musician you have heard of will have played in a Session more than once.
Yes, even Máiréad Nesbitt, Órlagh Fallon, Ray Fean, Eoghan O'Neill, Donal Lunny, etc.
I know that CW Chorus members have sung in sessions also. You never know who might show up and join in.
I was at a seisiún last July in the hills of Tipperary, when a very famous Irish singer walked in.
He was invited to give a song, and he asked the musicians permission. It turned out to be a great night.

You don't have to go to Ireland to attend a Session....they are all over the world, wherever Irish musicians gather.
There might be one near you. You can search on this site, you can also browse the task bars:
http://www.thesession.org/sessions/

There is a traditional session here in Orlando every 2nd Wednesday at the Claddagh Cottage Irish Pub.
It is a great experience....Irish music well played, good pint of Guinness, Irish owner and bar staff.....
it's like being home......well almost! I've even danced a reel or two there, and I'll be there on Wednesday.

Here is a link to the website:
http://home.earthlink.net/~birdfiddler/EOWS.htm
Click on "Etiquette" to read what it is, and how it all works.
QUOTE:
"The point of a Session is to have fun.
If everyone abides by the usually unspoken etiquette guidelines,
it leads to a more enjoyable time for all participants."

Session in full swing at the Claddagh Cottage:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 04:09AM by Maggie » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: