Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Native Americans and the Potato Famine  (Read 5602 times)
Betsy

« on: March 15, 2011, 05:41PM »

In 1830 Andrew Jackson signed "The Indian Removal Act" which made members of the Cherokee, Chickasaw, Seminole, Creek and Choctaw tribes move out of their homelands. It started on November 1st 1831 with the removal of the Choctaw nation in Mississippi. They were forced to move approximately 1,200 miles to Oklahoma. They were promised food and blankets. An empty promise and an estamated 4,000 innocent lives were lost on the trail.

You may think that this has nothing to do with the Potato Famine but in 1847 after hearing of the troubles in Ireland the Choctaws gathered up $710 and sent it to the starving country. This was unexpected and very generous. It is one of the most beautiful stories of giving I have ever heard and it is not very well known. I feel as though everybody should know this story and realize it's impact. I feel grateful to the Choctaw people.

This song is by Damien Dempsey and it is really cool. It's called "Choctaw Nation" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtLqnHFG3_8
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:28PM »

When one sits in the Hoop Of The People, one must be responsible because all of Creation is related. And the hurt of one is the hurt of all. And the honor of one is the honor of all. And whatever we do affects everything in the universe. - Passed down from White Buffalo Calf Woman

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Maggie
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 08:25PM »

When one sits in the Hoop Of The People, one must be responsible because all of Creation is related.
And the hurt of one is the hurt of all. And the honor of one is the honor of all.
And whatever we do affects everything in the universe. - Passed down from White Buffalo Calf Woman

Such wise words. They apply to the disaster in Japan today, just as they applied during the Famine.
Wherever our brothers and sisters are hurting.

The President of Ireland, Mary Robinson, went to thank the Choctaw Nation.
https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/michael/www/choctaw/robinson.html

Here is Chief Hollis E. Roberts sitting next to President Robinson,
while Khristy Wallace plays a tribute on a hand-made flute:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: