Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starman's Louisville Review: 4/12/11  (Read 6224 times)
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« on: April 14, 2011, 05:22PM »

Songs From the Heart: Louisville Palace Theatre April 12, 2011

Celtic Woman appeared to a sold-out audience at the Louisville Palace Theatre on April 12, 2011. According to Michelle Ripley, Membership Director at Kentucky Educational Television (KET), the state’s PBS broadcasters, the show marked the 13th show in Kentucky to date. As  I told her later at the M&G,  I had attended 11 of those shows. There was another appearance which was not a PBS-sponsored show: that in  Paducah’s Carson Center in October 2009 which coincidentally had the closest seats to the stage that I have ever seen anywhere (good news for us, though I don’t know about for the performers).

Forum members Tiffany (Lisa and Helen fanatic), Paul (Anderpaw) and I were the only forum members known to me to be in attendance.  Both of them are old hands in attending past shows there at the Palace.  Paul and I had seats together the last three years. We knew we were in for a fantastic show!

I had attended Sunday’s show in Cincinnati with a number of forum members and had told the Marvelous Singing Lisas  at the M&G that I would see them in Louisville, as well as told Bubba, Dustin, Piper Tommy Martin and anybody else I had occasion to talk to there. I had told one of the road crew I would see him in Louisville and he said, “Not if we don’t get this stuff torn down and moved!” ?  They did.

The trip from Lexington @ 85 miles away didn’t start entirely smoothly for me.  In my haste to get on the road I spilled gasoline on my pants. Oh no!  Maybe the smell will be so strong they will evacuate the building! Maybe they won’t let me in the M&G!  But when I looked at the price at the gas pump, I thought: this is more expensive than the priciest cologne or aftershave! If anybody asks, it’s “Eau de Petrol”—the latest fad and the envy of men everywhere!  

This was my eighth time to see them at the Palace (my sixth from the front row). .Unlike previous years, they would be doing only one show in Louisville instead of the usual two. The Tran-Siberian orchestra would be there the next night instead. ?  The next KET-sponsored show is May 2 in Cape Girardeau, MO instead of in Louisville, a very long drive for me.  But tonight,  Paul  had gotten there early and has staked out a spot under the marque. He is decked out in fan forum buttons on his cap.  Mine is on my shirt.  I know from past experience that Chloe, at least, notices.  She had taken me to task in Roanoke last year for not having one of her forum buttons on—I had given it away to a young fan who had gone wild over it.  “Well then, you’re off the hook I guess” Chloe had said.  Tonight I wore buttons for them all!  Clad in all that metal, as long as I didn’t get hit by lightning and go up in an accelerant-aided fireball, I guessed I would be alright.  I was relieved when the doors opened and we went inside, however.

After purchases at the concession stand,  Paul and I headed to our seats on the front row.  We were further down from last year, in front of the instrumentalists. However, I was pleased to see that KET’s Michelle Ripley had gotten the front row center seat, which she said was the first time she had had it.  After all these years promoting Celtic Woman on KET and introducing them, she has definitely earned it! However, she vacates it to take the stage to introduce them, as she has during most of their performances.  If I had been next to her, I would have suggested she come up through the trap-door center stage like the magicians do, but I wasn’t.  Maybe next year!

As the show gets started, it quickly becomes apparent that the sold-out audience is very attentive, but not in a mood to interact—yet.  As the beautiful candle-maidens take the stage with their heavenly harmonies, the third maiden emerges; and Louisville gets its first glimpse of newest Celtic Woman Lisa Lambe.  Those who don’t have programs or have not yet perused them, may have been surprised to see Lisa L instead of Lynn Hilary—as I had been surprised to see Lynn step into the spotlight instead of Meav that day in November 2007.  Pre-show Paul and I had spoken with those around us of the new soloists—showing them her picture in the program and on our forum buttons.  Of course, these did not do justice to her physical beauty and the beauty of her singing in real life.  They were rapt at this newest addition to the heavenly choir, as I knew they would be.

“Angels—the only way really to describe them” the usher at the orchestra pit had told me.  He was a fan, as was his son.  I told him about the fan forums and invited him to join, as we similarly had the husband-and-wife usher team at the Fox Theater in Atlanta. He said he would, so we need to welcome him if he does. He can tell us all about the trap doors at the Palace!

Paul and I have Fiddler Crossing signs and “LL” signs to display which we do and get nods from Máiréad  and Lisa L upon seeing them. At intermission, Tiffany says she is seated too far away to display any with effect.  She does have her forum buttons on though! We will stand for ovations to the soloists for their major numbers whether anybody else does or not.  I will always stand for Non C’e Piu in salute to Musical Director David Downes’ arrangement of this number regardless of whether anybody else ever does.  He has put together an entire show of excellence—not just a few big numbers around many lesser ones.  I don’t care what the convention of the audience is regarding ovations.  This is not a conventional show.

The entire cast is hitting on all cylinders tonight despite an attentive, though not yet interactive crowd. But you can tell from the look on their faces that they are thoroughly enjoying the show. Applause is plentiful. Máiréad  has to work hard to get them on their feet, but she does it.  She does eleven (11) spins during her performance of Coast of Galacia!  I wonder if she ice skates?  How in the world does she do it? In fact, how does she do virtually all of the things that she does?  

Each of the soloists handles the introductions of their respective songs very ably and is well-received by the audience: Lisa Kelly in describing the songs in general; Chloe on Galway Bay; Lisa Lambe’s spoken parts on My Lagan Love and especially her entertaining introduction of Dulaman; Máiréad  in You Raise Me Up.  This is an element that was missing in the shows throughout the years and it is apparent that the audience has yearned for a bit more insight into the personalities of the girls—and they are rewarded in that regard.  Chloe, they have known a bit more all along and are always a mass of smiles when she speaks.  When she speaks of possibly moving to town here, everyone hopes she will end up next door!

At the Ceili is a source of never-ending excitement, as there is activity in every corner—except what’s this—Ray Fean has escaped the floor and is at his drum set—avoiding a bump by Lisa Kelly? She did give him quite a whallop in earlier shows—she motions for him to come down—Ray shakes his head, he’s not coming!  No girl for again Dermot as the rich man!  Somehow, we think he comes out better off-stage!

The choir is in top form and we get a good luck at the new members, Máiréad , Elmear and Laura.   The guys are really belting it out.  I’m in front of Ewan on the guitar.  He has a multi-function foot pedal—the first time I have seen it up close.  I have seen (and coveted) these things in catalogues, but never used one. In my day the old fuzz-tone and wah-wah peddle were about all we had, the echo device being very exotic when it came out. Primitive  compared to this stuff. And he can really play!  He seems smoother than in earlier shows, through sheer repetition and practice, no doubt.

Amazing Grace goes wonderfully well there, as I knew it would. The crowd has a good idea—big applause for pipers Anthony Byrne and Tommy Martin during the highlight of their parts, yet avoid the slight impiety of overly-praising the artists on a hymn. At my church applause is given only the music from the little ones (who might cry if they don’t get it).  

The crowd delights in Lisa Lambe’s introduction in Dulaman.  When she whips out the spoons several people audibly laugh with surprise. One of these days Ray is going to have a bruise on his arm there..  Last year the entire audience rose for an ovation for Danny Boy.  Expected to be joined by them this time, it is but Paul and I (that I can see). I can’t account for the difference—it was done just as movingly this year.

Always a highlight for me in Songs From the Heart, is Lisa Kelly’s performance of The Moon’s a Harsh Mistress. Besides giving me an unrelenting opportunity to look at Lisa, it is a treat to see her put her all in it show-after-show.  The interplay between she, the piano and Máiréad  on the fiddle are wonderful musically and visually in their choreography.

When you believe is always a highlight for me and indeed a large part of the audience. The climax of the song with Chloe’s astounding vocals and the wonderfully strong backup vocals and choreography of the choir are very moving. I’ll never remain in my seat at the conclusion of this one.

It seems only Máiréad  can get this crowd on its feet (except for Paul and I, whom only the ushers can keep down). I suspect she must feel something akin to actual physical weight in her attempts to get them to rise. But as is so often the case, she finally does. And from that point on in the show, they always rise willingly and enthusiastically. Through You Raise Me Up, the Last Rose reprise and finally the encore Spanish Lady!  And now Ms. Lambe is a veteran of Louisville as well! She blows me a kiss as she leaves the stage—wow! .

Paul and I proceed with the crowd led by Dustin to the M&G. Names are checked off the list. Michelle Ripley goes up with us and will act as host. The cameras come out.  Who will it be? We had the Lisas in Cincinnati, so a strict rotation should produce Máiréad  and Chloe—but it is in fact Máiréad  and Lisa Lambe!  I have a new program to get signed, as my old one is filled up.  New Energizer batteries for the camera that let me down in Cincinnati! Very low lighting presents a problem.  In those precious seconds at the table how long is it going to take the flash to recharge.  Too long, as it turned out. After I took a picture of Paul, a lady stepped in the way, returning to the table after she had already left and so Paul is barely visible.  Two other photos with him in it are without flash and are therefore poor shots.  The photos he took of me at the table are much better. Sorry Paul.

Máiréad  and Lisa L were beautiful, as always!  I congratulate them on a great show. I told them my next show would not be until Springfield, IL.  Lisa said, “Well now you’ll have to do better than that!”.  Only a week away.  Besides, I’m not Mike Brown (Mr. Peabody)!  She will soon hear of the phenomena of fan “withdrawal pains” when the tour ends.  Very real and very painful.  

I talked with Máiréad  about Springfield, IL and the fact that there will be a substantial presence of the Máiréad  fan forum there.  Any chance she can do the M&G there? Of course, she doesn’t know at this point. I give her a hello from Rick Shears of Pixie Land fame.  She says hello to me from Nichol, whom she said tweeted her with the request to pass on a hello to me!  How nice of Máiréad  to do that! I told she and Lisa that I had to pass on Chicago again this year in favor of the home-town show sponsored by KET. Unfortunately, they have been within a few days of each other the last three years.  I got a big hug from both Máiréad  and Lisa which in itself was well worth the price of admission!   Then Paul kindly takes my picture with KET’s Michelle Ripley, as do the girls when they get done at the table.  Paul and I get a picture of each other in front of the Palace theatre after the show.  Another great show at the Palace for us both!

I sincerely hope the convention of holding two shows at the Louisville Palace can be resumed next year, as they can definitely fill it up both nights, and continue bringing the type of joy to the region that has thrilled us since 2006.

Lisa L and Mairead pretending to be interested in what I'm saying.  LOL!  Tongue

Not the hugs, but a nice shot anyway! Better from Paul than I got for him.  Embarrassed

KET's Michelle Ripley and I at the Louisville M&G

Michelle Ripley of KET with the girls after the M&G

A woman steps in just as my shot of Paul snaps!  Embarrassed
The others I took were without the flash and very poor.  Embarrassed

Shots of Paul (Anderpaw) and I outside the Louisville Palace right after the show.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:44PM by Starman » Logged

MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:43PM »

Another fantastic review, John! Even though the crowd didn't want to get involved, it's good you and Paul were there to show them how CW fans are supposed to behave! Grin Thanks for sharing!

It's a shame you couldn't make it to Chicago, but I hope you have a good time in Springfield. Be sure to give Máiréad the kind of birthday concert she deserves!
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 08:05PM »

Another fantastic review, John! Even though the crowd didn't want to get involved, it's good you and Paul were there to show them how CW fans are supposed to behave! Grin Thanks for sharing!

It's a shame you couldn't make it to Chicago, but I hope you have a good time in Springfield. Be sure to give Máiréad the kind of birthday concert she deserves!

You all will represent me and other CW forum fans who can't go in Chicago well, I'm sure!  I told Máiréad and Lisa L I couldn't go because I had to choose between the home state show and PBS station or Chicago and felt compelled to choose the former.   It's the same story I've told them at Louisville M&G the last three years. Unfortunately, the Louisvlle shows and Chicago are always the same week.   Undecided Cry

Iluvcelticwoman
Featured Soloist

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:37PM »

Fantastic Review! SO nice of Máiréad to give that message to you from Nichole
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:41PM by Iluvcelticwoman » Logged

John910

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 11:02PM »

Great review and story of the Meet & Greet.
SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 07:26PM »

Great review, John!! I think you must be sneaking up on Mike on number of shows attended this Spring. Wink Grin

Glad you had a wonderful time!

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
greenfire6
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 09:50PM »

Another magnetic review and images John! Thanks for commiting the time to writing/editing and posting. Please believe me I know what is involved and don't take your contributions for granted.

The number of shows many of you in the eastern/central time zone are able to attend boggles my mind. LOL! I know not if and when I will have the opportunity to see Miss Lisa perform. This makes your reviews and those of all the others very enjoyable for me.

-David, a voice crying from the intermountain west, USA wilderness...
avalonfreak06

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 08:08PM »

I'll be at the Springfield, IL show!!! Dont have a meet and greet though...im SO sad, I wish I had one...oh well, at least I get to see them again!!! Smiley
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 10:47AM »

I'll be at the Springfield, IL show!!! Dont have a meet and greet though...im SO sad, I wish I had one...oh well, at least I get to see them again!!! Smiley

Hope to meet you there tomorrow night avalonfreak06!  Smiley

Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 11:17AM »

Great review, John!! I think you must be sneaking up on Mike on number of shows attended this Spring. Wink Grin

Glad you had a wonderful time!

Zee

Thanks Zee!  I catch as many shows as I can.  I occasionally see Lisa K and Chloe apparently looking to see if I join in the singing of Mo Ghile Mear.  They must be thinking, what's this--all these shows and he still doesn't know the words yet?!   Cheesy   It's not that I don't know the words, but is a conscious display of mercy upon those around me.  Tongue

Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

There can be miracles, when you believe!

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 02:49PM »

Great review and great pics! Smiley

user102079

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 05:46AM »

I was very lucky to be in the front row at the Louisvillle Palace. I agree for some unknown reason the audience didn't really get involved,  I tried, but had no luck!  I I loved meeting Mairead and Lisa Lambe, such a wonderful group of ladies. A night I will never forget!!!
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 04:29PM »

Thank you User102079!  Welcome to the Celtic Woman Fan Forum!  I'm sure I saw you at the show and perhaps spoke to you!  I hope you will continue to join us here!  Cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: