Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SandyB's South Bend Review  (Read 3501 times)
SandyB

« on: April 17, 2011, 06:06PM »

This is my first CW show review so please bear with me! Friday night in South Bend was my 6th show…..and my 5th M&G……in less than two years.  Sadly, this will be my only show this Spring tour.  My sister (barbeaver) and I arrived in Mishawaka and checked into the hotel mid-afternoon.  Nick and Cherie were planning to pick us up at 4:30 at our hotel, so we had only a couple hours to get ready.  The weather was not cooperating and I ended up taking a shower in the dark after the power went out!  When Nick and Cherie picked us up, we were already in concert mode (that means nervous tummies, and excitement building.)  It was so nice to put faces to names. They were wonderful hosts (even though they are not South Benders, they knew the area well.)  We met up with Allan (wraith257) and Jeanine at the Fiddler’s Hearth and enjoyed a traditional Irish meal.  Meanwhile, it was POURING rain outside. “We only have to walk two blocks” (we think to ourselves.) It can’t be so bad.  WRONG…..it was pouring rain and windy when we left the restaurant to walk to the theater.  Umbrellas (graciously provided by Nick and Cherie) kept our heads and shoulders dry, but everything else was soaked.  Still everyone remained in good spirits as we trekked to the bathroom to dry off.  Then we made our way to our seats – all of which were in the pit!  Barb and I had 2nd row seats on the right side.  As the clock inched closer to 8:00, Phil arrived and distributed the new CW and Lisa Kelly forum buttons. It was good to see him again and to meet his family.  Before the show began, Barb and I were scoping out the seats in the front row just ahead of us.  FOUR EMPTY SEATS!  We were prepared for an “ISU”, but alas, during the 2nd or 3rd song, two men (very BIG men I might add) took two of those seats, and a bit later in the first half, another arrived to take one of those seats. 
     OK, showtime, and for the first two songs, we had a great view of the entire stage!  I was pleasantly surprised with the changes they have made in Songs From the Heart! First and foremost, the addition of Lisa Lambe:  Her voice and personality blend so well with the other girls and the band!  She seems so comfortable with the group, like she has been with them for years!  So, so, so playful in Dulaman (love the spoons) that I’m sure I was grinning through the whole song (well, I must admit….through the whole show!)  Chloe told us that if there was a reward for the “smiliest audience” we would win it!  I loved the two Lisas doing My Heart Was Home Again, which I will say I was a little skeptical as that was my favorite Alex song. The two Lisas more than did the song justice and it’s still one of my favorites.  Chloe again enthralled me with When You Believe.  She has grown so much over the years and is just flawless.  What can I say about Lisa K.?  She sure can belt it out on “The Moon’s a Harsh Mistress” and I totally LOVE Fields of Gold (it’s even my ringtone!)  Once again, I was speechless with Máiréad’s performance – how can she play so eloquently while she is flying across the stage?!  Amazing! The one song that was the biggest surprise for me was Danny Boy.  I have always liked it, and have enjoyed the CW version of it…..but this new version (was it a new version or was it solely the new voice that made it seem new?)  It was so moving for me, the girls’ voices blended so well in it and I was awestruck with it’s beauty.
Now to describe the best part(s) of the night for me!  I had printed out one of the new Lambe Crossing signs (created by Henny aka dutchfan) and was hoping that Lisa L. had not seen one in the audience yet.  When she sang her first solo, I held the sign below my chin and waited for her to spot it.  When she did, she gave me the biggest smile, with a slight nod of the head and a small squeeze as if she was giving herself a hug. OMG, I was in heaven!  I continued to get nods and smiles for the rest of the show from Ms. Lambe!  Throughout the show, all of the ladies gave such awesome acknowledgements of our love for them!  There were many winks, smiles and silly faces, some as a result of signs and others because they could tell how much we were enjoying ourselves.  After the encore, Spanish Lady, where I always join in with the shoulder shrugging, as the girls were exiting the stage, Lisa L. tilted her head my way (she had to look around the man in front of me) made eye contact and blew me a double kiss!  Another OMG!  Barb was sure the kiss was meant for her since she had met Lisa at a M&G last week, but I know better!   Wink 
     Lastly, the Meet & Greet.  Of course I was hoping to meet Lisa Lambe, especially after all the interactions during the show…and since I have met the other girls.  It was not to be, though, and I was very happy to meet with Máiréad and Chloe. After all, it has been a year since I’ve seen them at a M&G. This was the smallest M&G I’ve ever been to.  Probably only about 16 people, so we were not rushed at all.  Máiréad was so sweet as always and signed the couple items I had, all the while chatting about the show and Twitter.  Then I moved on to Chloe, who immediately said, “so nice to see you again!”  My heart skipped a beat…..it feels good when the girls remember meeting you previously!  After I commented on the wonderful show, we chatted a bit about the darn rain and she said it’s just a given that they will be bringing rain with them to their shows! 
     Barb and I spent a bit of the rainy day Saturday visiting the South Bend Chocolate Company, an Irish Imports shop and the campus of Notre Dame.  It was all in all, a wonderful, wonderful trip to South Bend and I am of course going through CW withdrawal, as I have no idea when I will see them again!  Hoping for a Christmas show close to me!

SandyB
Jennifer
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:30PM »

great review! Smiley
barbeaver

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:32PM »

Hi SandyB:  That was an awesome review, especially for your first one!!! You seem like a pro. I am so glad you are my sister and that I have been able to bring you into the Celtic Woman fold. About the kiss that LisaL blew to you...she blew it with two hands, one for you and one for me. I have to say that this was my fourth show this tour and I was really excited for Sandy to see the changes. I didn't tell her about any of the surprises, but I am sure I could not hide the great anticipation I had for her to see LisaL for the first time. My oh my, she is a fabulous addition to CW. I will try to add some additional insights in a review a little later. Thanks for sharing your wonderful thoughts about the show and the girls...and thanks for loving Celtic Woman...almost as much as I do.

Barb Cheesy

EMERALD GEMS
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

There can be miracles, when you believe!

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:50PM »

Yep really nice review! Smiley

greenfire6
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 07:15PM »

Wonderful review SnadyB! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Long live Celtic Woman!
Nick

Still hoping to meet Lisa K.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 08:34PM »

A wonderful review of such an awesome event.  Sandy, you covered it so well, I will only add a couple comments.  I confess.  I made up some small signs for the girls, such as "We love you Celtic Woman" and the same for each of the girls "We love you ______________" (fill in the blank with each name).  Cherie and I were front row center, so the signs were held low (chin level) at the appropriate time for each solo or group song. They were very visible to the girls and did not block anyone's view.  They seemed to enjoy them.  Yes, I was a "little" excited.

Secondly, this was my first time to attend a show with any forum members.  My wife and I received a very warm welcome from the entire group.  We felt an instant bond which we hope will last a long time.  This group was certainly everything we could have hoped for.  Thank you all, so much, for making South Bend an evening to remember!

Nick
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:43PM by Nick » Logged

Thank you Evi for this beautiful banner!
shankdee
Honorary Roadie

"We were all talking about you" said Lisa Kelly

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 12:47AM »

Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy   Wink   Wink  Very great review...i could just picture being in that audience with the signs, and them
                            acknowleding their fans the way they do...then the description of their marvelous voices and
                            work-of-art solos...you captured the flavor of what it is like to be in their presence and
                            in the same room with them..
                            I could EASILY sympathize with you not meeting LISA LAMB...I had been to TWO meet and greets
                            met Lynn, Mairead, Lisa and Alex..but had NOT met Chloe Agnew yet...and there was a man going
                            in with a pass for 4...and he said he only had three in his party...and the Old meanie of PBS
                            Red Rocks, said, NO, you don't know that man, he is a stranger to you( what should that matter at all)
                            so I was so blue...Mother Rosie had to counsel me over it.. I was totally crushed...but MR Said, you
                            ralize that Chloe is so young and energetic and
                            you will have another chance before you know it to meet her.
                            Well, I had to wait another 17 months I think it was... and i had to fly all the way to Australia
                            to do it !!! But mission accomplished!! She jumped out of her chairand threw her arms around me and
                            gave me the biggest hug...I was so surprised...so elated....I was in shock. I had her sign the T SHIRT
                            I had made with her picture on it..she giggled and we chatted...I also gave her a NOW C D..which
                            featured C W on a track...she got a big kick out of that...She said I have always wanted to be on a NOW
                            CD ! ! ! ! ALL of the girls came out for the M AND G that evening...I didn't know it
                            would be the last time to see Lynn
                            Hillary because her announcement came soon after that that she would leave the group....IT was a
                            wonderful evening so much laughter and since the picture taking went so well, they decided to let
                            the fans in USA take pictures...and we have seen some of the wonderful results of
                            these happy occasions. . . So thank you again for the WONDERFUL...Review...I think I heard they really
                            enjoyed SOUTH BEND.... Shankdee

Thanks For my Beautiful Deirdre Banner...GodsHorseGirl* * *
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: