Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Wonderful Night in Sioux Falls  (Read 3761 times)
David Knisely

« on: April 24, 2011, 02:55AM »

Well, after a 252 mile drive from my home through unlisted and frustrating Nebraska construction zones, I finally arrived in Sioux Falls, South Dakota on the afternoon of April 20th, 2011,for the Celtic Woman concert in the fabulous Great Hall of the Washington Pavilion.  I had arranged to meet a female friend of mine for dinner who hails from Madison, S.D. and is a recent Celtic Woman fan.  She would be attending her first C.W. concert that night, so I felt a little like “the veteran”, as I had two under my belt (my first had been all by myself right there at the Pavilion only two years ago for the “Isle of Hope” tour).  We had a fairly pleasant dinner at a local family restaurant before heading over to the Pavilion early to get decent parking (which there was plenty of it turned out).  Of course, getting out of our vehicles, I saw the big semi trailers, so I went over to one side, and sure enough, there was the big Celtic Woman “Songs from the Heart” logo big as life on the side.  It didn't generate quite that feeling of wonder I had felt the first time I had seen the “Lady on the Semi”, but then again, there is only one “first time” for a Celtic Woman concert.  Still, it was nice to see it again and feel that wonderful anticipation.

Getting inside and to our seats was easy, but we were not quite as close as I had expected.  I mistook the letter “I” on the ticket for the number 1, so while we were still on the orchestra level not far from the stage, I was farther away (perhaps 50 feet from the stage) than I had been in Kansas City the previous summer (I was in the 2nd row then).  However, it turned out that it didn't make a lot of difference.  I had forgotten how fantastic the acoustics of the Great Hall are, as there isn't a bad spot in the entire 1800 seat 3-tiered venue (now known as the “Mary Sommervold Hall”).  Here is a link to  a “virtual tour” of the hall:

http://www.visionvideoinc.com/virtualtours/

We settled into our seats and I started looking around.  Sure enough, closer to the front, I spotted a man with a black leather jacket that had the yellow diamond of the “Fiddler Crossing” sign on the back.  The hall was rapidly filling-up to its full capacity, so while we waited, I filled my friend in on some of the details of the concert and the group's history (I had to explain the “Fiddler Crossing” sign to her).  Then came the booming voice of the MC giving the usual copyright spiel about not taking pictures or video (I quipped to my friend, “Can I make a drawing?”), followed by the  dimming of the house lights.   The sound of wind and waves filled the hall, and a few people seemed to get a little confused by it, but my mind immediately said “Orinoco Flow!”  Sure enough, that song soon came booming out from the stage sounding as good or better than it had last year in Kansas City.  The lighting effects were spectacular, and the wonderful choir really sounded like they were there to be *heard*, as the song got going.  I got my first look at Lisa Lambe, and while I listened carefully to see if I could distinguish her voice alone, the song sounded pretty much the same as it always has in the live version (outstanding as always).  This time, I didn't get the “blasting” I had gotten last year (I was sitting under the big speaker array then), so things sounded notably better.

The song finished to a round of rather loud applause, and once things calmed down a bit, Chloe began to speak to the crowd with her “Are you having a good time?” question (followed by a roar of approval).  She mentioned their appearance of two years ago at the Pavilion, and the warm reception they had been given.  She also quipped that it had been very kind of Sioux Falls to bring the “Irish Weather” up there on their day off (it had been cloudy, rainy, and cold the previous day).   After the little verbal warm-up, Chloe did her first solo, but I soon lost track of which songs went where, as I was more interested in just appreciating the wonderful experience.  Lisa Kelly did “Fields of Gold” with her usual wonderful form, but later performed “The Moon's a Harsh Mistress”, in a way that really nailed that song.  This time, Lisa gave it a treatment that was richer and more masterful than she had on the Songs From The Heart DVD, so it looks like she is a lot more comfortable with the piece.  Indeed, each of the performers this night seemed to be right on target all the time, with no hesitation,  no minor variances, or other indications of a less than perfect performance.   They definitely had brought their “A-game” with them!

Then came a moment I had been looking forward to: Lisa Lambe's first solo.  She came out and also spoke to the crowd for a bit with the lead-in to “Dulaman”.  She appeared very confident on-stage and was able to work the crowd effectively, as well as putting a little bit of fun into harassing one of the drum players as the song started.  Dulaman was noticeably different than with last year's performance.  It had a bit of a change of arrangement along with a bit of a change in sound which definitely presented Lisa Lambe's own individual style when doing the song.  Did it work?  YES IT DID!!  One thing I had had trouble with in other performances was the lyrics of Dulaman, as I am not versed in the words of true “Irish”.  However, whether it was the hall's fine acoustics or Lisa Lambe's singing (probably both), the song seemed clearer and sharper, making it a lot easier to hear the actual words instead of hearing them sort of “mush” together.  It is almost as if Lisa was more distinct in her “Irish diction”.  Indeed, at that point, it was clear that I was hearing her voice come directly from the stage rather than through the speakers.  When she turned away from us, the audio was less sharp as the speakers were what I heard then, but as she faced us directly again, the words became more distinct (even if I didn't know what they actually meant).  She really impressed me with her presence, singing talent, and versatility (and I didn't know she could play the spoons that well).  In later songs, she worked with, harmonized, and blended well with both Chloe and Lisa K.  While I sometimes miss the presence of some of the previous members of Celtic Woman, I now know that Lisa Lambe didn't merely “replace” a member; she has significantly augmented the group.

Then, there was Mairead.  Well, what more can one say except merely her name, knowing that single word means some of the best violin performances on the planet.  The stage was somewhat smaller than some she had been on, so she couldn't build up a  great deal of running speed, but she was still the “Flying Fairy Fiddler” as she actively demonstrated the concept of “music in motion”.  As she went into “The Coast of Galicia” (I think), I was glad that other “concert veterans” closer to the front knew that it was time to start clapping in rhythm with Mairead's playing (my hands were a little sore by the end of the concert).   All I had to say to my companion next to me was the word “Now!” and I think she understood it was time to clap to the music.  In a few of her songs, Mairead also did do a little “directing” of the crowd with her high whirling of her bow over her head as if to tell them it was again time to “get involved” with the song (and we dutifully started clapping again).   I tended to like her more dynamic songs most, but when she did “The Lost Rose Fantasia”, it was beyond breathtaking.  The performance was better than the DVD both because it was live and because these performers have  clearly hit their stride and pushed what was good to something that is of true excellence.

As with last year, the song before intermission was “Mo Ghile Mear”, and it was just as dynamic and powerful as before (other than the fact that there was no room for the choir to come down into the audience this time).  I had the same exhausted feeling as I headed out for a break, only to almost run into the bagpipe player in the restroom!  Once things got underway again, it was with more delight.  “Goodnight My Angel” was a bit different, as it only had the piano as the sole instrument used.  I liked that, as it highlighted the vocal talents of the girls.  As “New Ground/Isle of Hope” started, my friend asked what it was, so I gave her a couple of seconds of info on it being the theme from the previous tour.  As usual, the pipes were haunting in that great hall, and Chloe was once again at her best with the song. Chloe seemed to be very pleased with how one particular solo went, as she gave a little playful “kick” and a whoop towards the audience after it ended.  “Amazing Grace” was beyond words, with two sets of bagpipes playing.   “Danny Boy” had always been my friend's favorite, and this time, it was stunning.  One thing about the new ensemble is that they are incredibly balanced when singing together.  This time it was just all four girls, with Mairead supplying just enough violin to complement and support the voices of the “two Lisas” and Chloe.   Just when you think they can't get any better, they do!  The harmony was incredibly perfect, and this live version just blew the one from last year out of the water.  The only thing better was Lisa Lambe and Chloe doing “Walking the Night” together.  These two doing this song were simply magic!  We also found out just how fast Chloe can change her costume!  She hurried off-stage after one of her solos just as “At the Ceili” began.  She had to be back in time for her part in the song, and sure enough, she popped-up in her wrap costume at just the right moment.  This time, it was Chloe's turn to harass the piano player, although Mairead did go over and playfully bother the uilleann pipes player a little during that song.

When all four soloists finally gathered on stage and Mairead began speaking, I knew what would be coming next (sadness).  Although I love the song, “You Raise Me Up” has been my personal “tear-jerker” since the passing two years ago of a little girl I had the privilege of taking care of for many years.  It was sad, both because of that and because I knew it would be the last song of the night (with the exception of the Finale and a possible encore).   Celtic Woman did the song with the same emotional impact that it had had the first time I had heard it, and when they paused as Lisa Kelly did her “Thank you very much, you've been a great audience”, the place just erupted and the last notes of the song were nearly drowned out by a roaring standing ovation  (one of at least three I noted during the concert).  The Finale again was done to a nearly deafening standing ovation, followed (once things calmed down a bit) by the wonderful encore of “Spanish Lady”.  After more applause, the concert was over, and I faced the long four-hour-plus drive home.  I know each time I go to a Celtic Woman concert, I feel that it is better than any of the previous ones, and this one was  no exception.   When they come back to Washington Pavilion in the future, I will be there.

“Writing From the Heart”

David Knisely

Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

There can be miracles, when you believe!

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 05:01AM »

Really great review David! Thanks for sharing your experience with us! Cheesy

firefly loves lisa k.
Honorary Roadie

Yep. I´m a LisaK.holic!! <3

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 05:11AM »

Awesome Review David!! Thanks for sharing. Loved it

by me
I met Lisa Kelly, Lisa Lambe, Chloe Agnew, Mairead Nesbitt
Ich liebe dich! xxx
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 05:26AM »

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 07:24AM »

Thanks, what was the song list??

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
LauraHutchison

Lisa Kelly _ Our forever "She-roe !"

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 12:09PM »

Great review...thank you for sharing it with us and I am so glad you had a great time!

""..People forget what you said, people forget what you did, but people will NEVER forget how you made them feel" __Maya Angelou
John910

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 09:32PM »

Great review David.
David Knisely

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 12:24AM »

Thanks, what was the song list??

I can't recall all of them or their order, but here is what I remember hearing (I think):

Orinoco Flow (lead-off song)
Galway Bay
Fields of Gold
Dulaman
The Coast of Galicia
My Lagan Love
The Moon's a Harsh Mistress
Non Ce Pui
Nil Sen La
Mo Ghile Mear (last song before intermission)
Goodnight My Angel
The Lost Rose Fantasia
The Mason's Apron (I think, but it was definitely a rousing Mairead solo with two drummers)
New Ground/Isle of Hope, Isle of Tears
Danny Boy
Walking The Night (Give Me Your Hand)
When You Believe
At The Ceili
You Raise Me Up (last song before the Finale)
Finale (Mo Ghile Mear)
Spanish Lady (encore)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: