Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4/23/11: A Magical Night At The State Theatre  (Read 3630 times)
Jennifer
« on: April 24, 2011, 05:50PM »

This is really long, so it'll be in three parts: Before the show, First act/intermission, and Second act/after the show.

Incredible. Unbelievable. Beautiful. Gorgeous. Breath-taking. Mesmerizing. Honestly, how many words can you use to describe your first Celtic Woman show?

Before The Show

My day basically started as a normal Saturday. I had orchestra, and then I went to lunch with my aunt who was here from New York City. During lunch, I kept looking at my phone because I was keeping count how many minutes there were until the afternoon concert. I also couldn't stop thinking, “I'm seeing Celtic Woman tonight. I'm seeing Celtic Woman tonight.”

After the lunch, as my mom and I were going home, I asked my mom if we could go to Starbucks. She, sadly, said no because we had just had lunch, and we were going to eat dinner in a couple of hours.
The night before, my mom had asked me to take a nap before we went to have dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe because she knew it was going to be very busy for me. Of course, when I was at home, my mom took a nap, and I couldn't take a nap because I was way too hyper and couldn't calm down at all.

Finally, I had to wake up my mom half an hour before we had to leave to get my grandma so she could get ready for the concert. It took my mom more than half an hour to get ready. By the time she was ready, I had been sitting there for a while, waiting to go. (I must have really been hyper last night.)

We were supposed to get my grandma at 4:30, but since my mom had taken a while to get ready, we were going to be a little late. When we had left our parking garage, I called my grandma to tell her we were on the way. As we were going to my grandma's, all I could think was, “could this ride PLEASE go any faster?!?!” When we FINALLY got to my grandma's, my mom said, “Merry Christmas!” because we had given my grandma a ticket to the CW concert as a Christmas present.

As we were driving to the Hard Rock Cafe, I was literally bouncing in my seat, impatiently waiting to get to the restaurant. After we had finally gotten to the parking garage where we parked, I literally jumped out of the car. My grandma and mom both had to tell me to calm down. Turns out they would have to tell me to calm down a lot while walking to the restaurant.

Finally, we had gotten down to the skyway. Now, I didn't really trust my mom with leading us on the skyway because when I went to see Idina Menzel in November, we had gotten lost in the skyway on the way to Orchestra Hall. (My mom's still denying that she got us lost...) I was so nervous that we were going to get lost that I was literally speedwalking throughout most of the skyway... Until my mom and grandma finally got me to slow down and walk at a normal pace by telling me I could go crazy when we were within a block of the restaurant.

When my mom, grandma, and I had reached where we were supposed to go down to the street level of the hotel, I was trying to be patient... Obviously, I was failing miserably at keeping calm, because as soon as we reached where I could go crazy, it took my mom to say “OK, you can go” for me to literally run to the restaurant. When I reached the Hard Rock Cafe, I was really confused on where the entrance was. I just followed the patio to where I saw the entrance. I entered the Hard Rock Cafe; the waiter there took one look at my four buttons, and said, “You must also be with the other button wearers over there,” and pointed over to the table where Sarah (SarahBurkeFan!), Destiny, Sarah, and a guy (I found out a short time later that his name was Michael, and they had met him at the concert) were sitting. I saw Sarah waving at me, and I literally ran over to the table, where Sarah hugged me. Then Sarah introduced me to everyone, and I went to sit down.

A while later, I saw my mom and grandma had arrived at the restaurant. (They were way more sane than I had been the entire day.) I introduced my mom and grandma to everyone, and then sat and talked to everyone. During the dinner, I learned that there had been a power outage at the afternoon show. When everyone was talking about it, all I could think was, “Oh wow... That's scary.”

When we had finished our dinner, the waiter asked us about dessert. Since we weren't sure if we wanted dessert after we had just gotten done with dinner, the waiter brought out all of the cups so we could see what they looked like. As I looked at it, I decided that the strawberry shortcake cup sounded good to me, so I decided to order that for my dessert. Sarah also ordered the strawberry shortcake cup.

After we had gotten the desserts, I had a bite out of my dessert, and thought, “this is actually good!” I hadn't really liked cheesecake before having it, but it was really good, so I decided to keep eating it. A few minutes later, I was like, “I think I actually like cheesecake now!” Everyone looked at my cup and burst out laughing. Then Sarah asked me how I ate that so fast... I still don't know if it was because it was really good, if it was because I hadn't had a lot to eat earlier in the day (before dinner, the most I had eaten was two pancakes at the restaurant my mom and I went to with my aunt for lunch), or if it was because I hadn't been paying attention to how fast I was eating it.

Then, after we had decided we were done with eating at the Hard Rock Cafe, we walked to the State Theatre. While walking there, I couldn't help but notice that I should have brought a jacket with me because I get cold very easily when it's under 55 degrees. Then I decided that I was fine without a jacket because it wasn't like I was shivering a lot like I had been when I stage doored after seeing Idina Menzel last November. When we were across the street from the State, I took a picture of the marquee purely because I wanted to take a picture of the marquee while it had Celtic Woman on it.

Ten minutes after we walked into the theatre, the doors finally opened! We all got our tickets scanned with the ushers in the door, and then walked into the lobby. (I don't know the name of the room outside the auditorium.) I immediately noticed the merchandise table, but then decided to go there after going to the bathroom.

When I went to the merchandise table, I was trying to see what the black shirt looked like because I had been wanting that shirt for a while. Then my mom and grandma came up from the bathroom, and asked me what shirt I had wanted. Then they asked me if I would rather have the red shirt. When we got to the front of the line, I asked if I could see both the red shirt and the black shirt. After seeing both shirts, I decided to get the black shirt and a program.

After getting my shirt and program, my mom, grandma, and I found our seats. The seats were a little to the right, and had a really good view of the stage. When we walked up to our seats, my mom asked me how I liked the seats. I was literally speechless! I was like, “uhh....” My mom and grandma laughed. When waiting for the show to start, I realized that the theatre was playing Anthony Byrne's CD.

About 20 minutes later, the recording of David Downes telling us the show would start in a bit came on. All I could think was, “this is it... You're seeing Celtic Woman.” A little while later, my grandma asked me where they were. I said, “wait patiently.” (I should have taken my own advice earlier in the day!) A couple of minutes later, the lights came down, and the most incredible night of my life began.
Jennifer
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 06:09PM »

First Act/Intermission

First Act

Nil Sen La: Is it normal to start crying during Nil Sen La? When I heard Chloe start to sing, I lost it and started bawling. I kept having to wipe my eyes as they kept singing, which made me really sad because I couldn't see the girls.
I love love the new arrangement of Nil Sen La! The a capella part before they got into the energetic part is amazing! I gave them a one person (well, in my section, anyways) ovation when this song was over.

Fields Of Gold: From the moment Lisa K came on stage to sing Fields of Gold, I was mesmerized. I was really excited to hear this live for the first time. Lisa really blew me away with the beauty and power in her voice as she sang this. When watching her sing, I didn't even notice the choir come in until they started singing with Lisa.

Coast of Galicia: Mairead honestly blew me away with this song. Whenever I watch my SFTH DVD, I always smiled every time this song came on. I couldn't stop smiling and giggling during the song. I also counted 11 spins that she did during CoG.

Galway Bay: When Chloe came out to introduce this song, I couldn't help but start smiling. Then, as she was talking, someone in the audience yelled out, “I love you, Chloe!” Without any pause in her speech, Chloe said, “We love you too!” It was so funny! When she got to when she was introducing Anthony Byrne, she said she hoped we'd give him “that warm Minneapolis welcome” we always give Celtic Woman. (I don't know if this is the exact quote Chloe used)
Before the music started, I had managed to stop crying. But when the song started playing, and when Chloe started singing, I started crying all over again. I couldn't help but admire the beauty in Chloe's voice as she sung!
The only thing I didn't like was that while Chloe was singing, the guy behind me was singing as well. This annoyed me because I wanted to hear Chloe sing it, not the guy behind me! My grandma also noticed that the guy was singing behind us, and she gave me a look saying, “What is he doing?!?!”

Orincolo Flow: The drums at the beginning of this song scared me! I was not prepared for how loud they would be! I loved the harmony in the middle of the song, and I also loved watching the choreography.

My Lagan Love: The moment Lisa L started the poem that she spoke before My Lagan Love, I was mesmerized. This was my first real look at Lisa L as a solo artist, besides the Youtube videos I had watched when I had heard she would be joining Celtic Woman. This song was gorgeously sung! I loved watching Lisa L move around the stage while singing this, and I loved when the choir came in and started singing with her. It gave me chills.

My Heart Was Home Again: When Lisa K started to introduce this song, I wasn't sure what song this was going to be since I hadn't really memorized the setlist. Then, Lisa K said, “....My Heart Was Home Again,” and I recognized it from the Youtube video I had listened to before going to the concert. This song was very beautiful.

Granualie's Dance: When Mairead came out again, my grandma leaned into me and whispered, “There she is again!” (I think my grandma really likes Mairead...) Mairead was so energetic during this song! I cheered for her after the song was over.

Goodnight My Angel: Since I had been watching Mairead as she walked offstage, I was shocked to see that Lisa K and Chloe were already by the piano! I was like, “how did they get there so fast?”
I absolutely LOVE the new arrangement of this song! It's gorgeous! When Chloe was like, “get over here!” to Lisa after singing and hugged her and kissed her cheek, I couldn't help but go, “awwww!”

Danny Boy: My grandma was like, “oooh!” when this song came on because she really likes Danny Boy, and she had done a arrangement of this song at my old school last year. I actually really like how Mairead fills in the missing harmony with her violin. It was very cool to hear Mairead play with Lisa K, Lisa L, and Chloe.

Mo Ghile Mear: When the choir came out and the music started, I thought, “already?” I was really sad that the first act was already over! I love hearing it live! I stood up and applauded (not caring about the guy behind me) when it was over.

Intermission: After going to the bathroom, I went to find Sarah, Destiny, and Sarah so I could tell them how I was enjoying the concert. After I couldn't find them, I went back into the auditorium where my grandma told me that Sarah and Sarah were both near the pit. Turns out they had been asking about two empty pit seats that they had wanted... Unfortunately, they weren't able to get them. That was also where I met a girl named Leslie, and an usher named Wendy. (I really hope you join the forum, Leslie! Oh, and sorry if I spelled your name wrong... And Wendy, you are soooo nice!!!) However, they were able to move to some empty seats that were in front of where I had been sitting in the first act. When Sarah asked me if I wanted to move up with them, I immediately said yes. We then moved up to the fifth (I think?) row with Sarah and Leslie. Sarah and Destiny sat in front of us.
When we were moving to the new seats, an usher went over to us and said that Sarah, Sarah, and Destiny had to go back to their old seats. But then Sarah told him that Sheryl (I didn't know who had given them permission until I read the first part of Sarah's review) had said it was OK for them to sit there. He was just like, “OK.” He left us alone for the rest of the night.
After we had gotten settled in our new seats, I was like, “I got an ISU at my first concert! YES!” Destiny then turned around and chuckled. Then Sarah counted how many rows I had moved up, and while it wasn't a lot of rows, I found I liked the view from my new seat better than my original seat.
Jennifer
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 06:51PM »

Second Act/After The Show

Second Act

The Call: When The Call started, I couldn't help but notice that the introduction was a little shorter than it had been on the DVD. It didn't take away from the fact that this was a beautiful song.

Amazing Grace: I had read that this song would make you bawl in other reviews... I did cry while listening to this song.. Especially when they all hit their climax near the end of the song.

Dulaman: Lisa L is hilarious in her introduction! I didn't really know what song she was introducing (I should pay attention to the reviews... Haha!) until she said, “this... is a love song.” When we were all at dinner, Sarah was talking about how she knew the right places to pause so people could laugh! Well, she was right!
This has now got to be my favorite Dulaman ever! Lisa L has stolen it from everyone who has ever done it! I loved how the spoons was incorporated into the song, since I had watched the video where Ray was teaching everyone how to play the spoons! Lisa really has it down! I counted 7 (I think) spins during the song. I gave this a standing ovation.

Songs From the Heart (Walking The Night/Give Me Your Hand): When this song started, I actually thought it was When You Believe because I could only see Chloe... Then, after looking for a little bit, I found Lisa L.
This has now got to be one of my new favorite songs EVER! (I'm listening to it as I type this up, actually.) It is so gorgeous!!! I love love love this song!

The Moon's A Harsh Mistress: I have always loved this song, ever since I first heard it on the SFTH CD. Lisa K once again blew me away with this song! It was just beautiful!

When You Believe: When the music for this started, I immediately broke down crying. This song had gotten me through a really hard part of my life where I was depressed, and I was so confused and I didn't know who to turn to... So when Chloe was singing this, I couldn't even look up because I was bawling... The last key change in the song was when I started bawling.
When Sarah and I stood up to applaud, Sarah asked me if I had been crying, and I said “yeah.” I tried to explain why, but I couldn't really explain why because I was still crying. I think Sarah understood I couldn't explain why I was crying when I was like, “because... um...”

At The Ceili: When the music for this started, I was still trying to calm down from WYB, so I couldn't smile a lot when Lisa K and Lisa L came out. As it went on, I calmed down and started laughing and smiling like an idiot. I loved watching both of the Lisas flirting with various members of the band and choir. I absolutely love Chloe in this song! She looks like she fits in with everyone else!

Lost Rose Fantasia/The Mason's Apron: When Mairead came out again and the introduction started, I couldn't help but notice that it sounded a little like The Last Rose of Summer... The tune of the introduction just reminded me so much of Last Rose of Summer...
When Mairead had finished Lost Rose Fantasia, I was like, “she's not done.” Then the Mason's Apron started, and I couldn't help but smile and laugh as she kept playing. I clapped along with the beat while Mairead was playing, which I almost never do at concerts...

Non Ce Piu: All I can say was that this was beautiful. I loved the harmonies, and it was just so beautiful.

You Raise Me Up: When Mairead started her introduction, I was like, “No!” I couldn't believe it was almost over already! Then, when Mairead started playing, Sarah looked over at me and said, “this song makes me bawl!” I already knew this song was going to make me cry, so I said, “this song is going to make me cry!”
When Lisa started singing the first chorus, that was when I started crying. I had been looking forward to hearing her sing the chorus for this song ever since I first heard her sing YRMU on the Helix CD. I also sung along with her.
When the song hit the climax, that was when I started to bawl all over again. I tried to sing along as best as I could, but gave up when I was crying too hard to sing... When the song was over, I immediately stood up and cheered.

Finale/Mo Ghile Mear: This song always makes me sad when I listen to it on the deluxe CD, but it was full of so much energy that I couldn't feel sad that it was the second to last song. However, I was still sad that it was almost over. Mairead was full of energy during this! We started clapping, but I guess that wasn't enough for Mairead, because she stood there and motioned with her bow and violin to clap along. When Ray and the other drummer (I don't remember his name!) joined her to play, Ray motioned for us to clap by clapping his hands above his drum. We all clapped even louder.
A little while later, when Lisa L (or was it Lisa K that came out first?) took her bow, I stood up and started to cheer. Then, as the girls took their bows, the cheering got really loud! After the song was over, Lisa K looked over at where we were all sitting, and clapped at us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Chloe was thanking everyone, she asked us if we had fun. We said yes, but like Mairead had been during the Finale, Chloe wasn't happy with our answer, so she asked us again. This time, we all cheered as loud as we could. She then said she was very happy that we had enjoyed ourselves. (What's the quote?)

Spanish Lady: When Chloe told us to clap, sing, dance, do whatever made us happy, I really took that to heart! I was clapping and singing along during the song, and I also did the shoulder shrug when they did it. (I hadn't really learned the shrug; I just did it when they did it!) When it was over, I was sooooo upset!

After The Show

After it was over, we all went out to the lobby. We were all wondering if Anthony was going to come out, but then quickly decided he wasn't coming out. So after we had decided he wasn't coming out, Sarah asked if we could take a group photo with me in it. As we were taking the photos, Michael came up, and we told him to get into the pictures with us!
Right after that, we were all talking about how we had enjoyed the show. Michael asked my grandma, “So how did you enjoy your first show?” We all looked at her, and then when she didn't say anything, we all burst out laughing! It was so hilarious!
A little while later, my mom decided it was time for us to go because I had to play three services for a church in the morning... So I said goodbye to everyone, and Michael decided to follow us to his car since he thought he had parked in the same ramp. (Turns out he didn't...) Then, as we were going to the skyway (Mom, I don't trust you with the skyway. At all.), Sarah, Destiny, and Sarah showed up! We all laughed because we had just said goodbye! Sarah was like, “Long time no see!” Then we walked with them until they had to go another direction.

After we had gotten to our car, I was so sad. I couldn't believe how lucky I was to have finally seen a CW show! It was honestly one of the most magical nights of my life!

Now I'm just going to wait until August, when I can get tickets for the Christmas symphony concert in Minneapolis. Can't wait!!!
John910

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 09:43PM »

Great review Jennifer.
LauraHutchison

Lisa Kelly _ Our forever "She-roe !"

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:13AM »

Fields Of Gold: From the moment Lisa K came on stage to sing Fields of Gold, I was mesmerized. I was really excited to hear this live for the first time. Lisa really blew me away with the beauty and power in her voice as she sang this. When watching her sing, I didn't even notice the choir come in until they started singing with Lisa.

When she hits the stage you dont notice anything but her....and blow you away with that sound is right....she is amazing.
Very nice review.

""..People forget what you said, people forget what you did, but people will NEVER forget how you made them feel" __Maya Angelou
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

There can be miracles, when you believe!

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 05:03AM »

Once again, great review Jennifer! Smiley

Jennifer
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 11:47AM »

I forgot IOH, IOT... Sad

Isle of Hope, Isle of Tears: Amazing. Just amazing.
sunflower
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 12:26PM »

Wonderful review!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: