Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Genealogy  (Read 27862 times)
Maggie
« on: May 04, 2011, 03:24AM »

Yesterday I did a Notary Signing at the home of a very nice couple who are members of the Church of LDS.
We had a good chat, and the subject turned to Genealogy.
They told me that anyone can go into a Mormon Church (not a Temple though) and access their Genealogy files.
They told me you just need to ask whoever is there and they will help you. There is no charge.

Helpful Sites:
http://www.ldsgenealogy.com/#Getting_Started
https://www.familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator
lcainsa
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:10AM »

Great timing, Maggie!  I am on Facebook, and since I "Liked" the Ireland Tourism Facebook page, I get information when they post it.  This morning they posted an article with a link to a new web site called "Ireland Reaching Out".  Here's what their About Us page says:

Ireland XO is an Irish-government sponsored project based on a simple idea. Instead of waiting for people of Irish heritage from around the world abroad to come to Ireland to trace their ancestry, the people of Ireland, organised parish by parish are going the other way; through national and local records, we are identifying who emigrated from Ireland, tracing them and their descendants across the world. In this way, local Irish communities can be expanded to virtual communities engaging all of their people worldwide. The IRO is set to become one of the largest voluntary and community programmes in Ireland and we welcome your support.??

If you believe your people came from Ireland, we invite you to enter details as directed on our website. Whether you simply know your people came from Ireland, or you know the county, parish, or townland, or you simply have an Irish surname, we invite you to become a member of our project. If you enter your family details you will be opening up the possibility that Ireland XO can assist you. At present, the national pilot project is well underway in South-East Galway. The IRO programme is set to expand nationally in the coming months.

They are launching their "Week of Welcomes", inviting descendants and friends of Irish emigrants to visit Ireland in June.  The pilot project is to take place in Galway.  Afer reviewing the site a bit, it looks as though it's not really an asset for genealogical research in terms of having links or information for conducting research, but I suppose if you participate in it you'll likely gain some resources for further research in the area your ancestors came from.

~Lisa

Edited to correct spelling and add a bit more information after reviewing the site.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:40AM by Lisa » Logged
lcainsa
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 09:43AM »

Just a note on your links, Maggie, I've used the LDS site a bit, and it's nice, they have information that I couldn't find via PRONI, and I've found several pieces of information that really helped in terms of birth records for my grandfather's siblings.  My only complaint with the familysearch.org records online is that you are given a Print option, but at least from Internet Explorer, the print results are very poorly formatted.
Maggie
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 11:14AM »

Just a note on your links, Maggie, I've used the LDS site a bit, and it's nice, they have information that I couldn't find via PRONI, and I've found several pieces of information that really helped in terms of birth records for my grandfather's siblings.  My only complaint with the familysearch.org records online is that you are given a Print option, but at least from Internet Explorer, the print results are very poorly formatted.

I think the best way to go is to utilize as many free sites as possible, and link whatever you learn.
Start a family tree and add the branches as you find them.
There is no need to pay big bucks to Ancestry.com and such, if you know where to look.
As for printing, I usually select the text, cut and paste, if that will work.

Regarding Ireland XO, it sounds like a fun project and a clever Tourism marketing strategy by :

I wouldn't raise the hopes too high, however, of anyone planning to go without doing their own research first.
All they can do is point you in the direction of the many Family History Centres, which are excellent,
but unless you know where your ancestors are from, you are not going to come away with much solid information.
You have to realize too, that the name your family has in the USA may have been changed by the Immigration Officer,
or even by your early immigrants to make the name easier to spell, or so they would fit in better.
Your relatives in Ireland will have the original Irish name. For example, the name Donaho may have been O'Donaghue.
 Mulcahy would have been O'Maolchatha or Ni Mhaolchatha.

The best way to start is to ask older family members, or get hold of their birth certificates and work backwards.
It's a tragedy that most young people are not interested in their ancestors, then when they become interested
it's too late to ask Grandpa.

In Ireland, the families who remained through the Famine, the uprisings, the War of Independence and the Civil War,
know their own family history, they grew up surrounded by a close family and took it for granted.
So they were rather amused when Americans started to show up in the 1950s looking for their "roots".
The numbers have increased over the years, as Americans with Irish roots yearn to find out more about
their relatives who stayed.
I remember we were all sitting around the table having lunch in Aunt Elsie's farmhouse one day. when an American
came up the path and stood by the open door. He was obviously American...
...red polyester pants, crew cut, expensive camera around his neck. My Aunt greeted him, invited him in.
He was embarrassed when he saw we were eating, and offered to return later.
"Not at all!" said Aunt Elsie "you'll sit down and eat with us!"
He was looking for the Churchyard in the village, where he was hoping to find his ancestors.
Aunt Elsie told her son "After lunch you will take him to the Priest to look through the Parish Records."
The man was overwhelmed, and delighted when the Priest found birth, marriage and burial records of many family members.
I think that is the kind of hands-on old-fashioned hospitality that Ireland XO is hoping to bring back,
although it will be more high tech and you probably won't be invited for lunch....
There are not many "Aunt Elsie's" left....unfortunately.

If your ancestors were from the same part of the World as me, I would direct you to Nenagh, Tipperary.
This building used to be the Governor's House and Jail, but is now the Family Research and Genealogy Centre:

QUOTE: "Also housed in the Governor’s House is the Genealogy Centre which provides a family history research service for clients
whose ancestors originated in North Tipperary. The main genealogical sources for the North Riding are computerised. These include church records (all denominations), Tithe Applotment lists (1830’s), Primary Valuation lists (1850’s), gravestone inscriptions (exclusive to the centre), civil births, deaths, marriages and the 1901 census.
Several other important sources, like the 1650’s Civil Survey, 1660’s Hearth Money Rolls and the 1840’s poor law rate books
 have also been input to the database. The centre provides an efficient genealogical service. Callers are welcome! Research is conducted on a fee basis.
The Heritage Centre is open all year round Monday to Friday from 9:30 – 5pm.
Also open Saturdays from May – August from 10am – 5:00pm(last admission 4:30pm). Admission: FREE!"

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:24AM by Maggie » Logged
lcainsa
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:29AM »

I know, Maggie, so true, there aren't many "Aunt Elsie's" left... I sent a message to my cousin in Ireland to ask her if her father remembers much or has told her anything, he is in his 90s now, but apparently his memory is still pretty sharp.  My mother is the oldest child in her family, but her dad, who emigrated from Ireland in 1905, died when she was only 20.  She is 90 now, with dementia, and really doesn't remember much of her own family history from when she was growing up, much less anything that may have been told to her.  Her next youngest sister, my Aunt Kay, died last December, and she would have known more, but I never thought to ask her much beyond a copy of notes she took on the family history many years ago.  I so regret not having talked with her more about it. 

This is one of my fears, that there are very few left in Ireland who might have knowledge of our family history, as very few of my grandfather's siblings ever married. 

And I absolutely agree that you should utilize as many free sites as possible, there's a lot of info out there.  I didn't mean to suggest that folks shouldn't use the LDS site, just wanted to comment that printing from that site is a bit of a pain.  I just bought the Family Tree Maker software, which came with 6 free months on Ancestry.com, but I don't intend to start it until I've found everything else I can find for free.  And I won't be subscribing after the 6 months runs out.  (I'd far rather save that money to put toward a trip to Ireland to do some research of my own!  Cheesy )
Maggie
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 12:23PM »

I know, Maggie, so true, there aren't many "Aunt Elsie's" left... I sent a message to my cousin in Ireland to ask her if her father remembers much or has told her anything, he is in his 90s now, but apparently his memory is still pretty sharp. 
....... And I won't be subscribing after the 6 months runs out.  (I'd far rather save that money to put toward a trip to Ireland to do some research of my own!  Cheesy )

That sounds like a good plan.....but I would hurry up that trip to Ireland to see your great-uncle.....
You will regret it if you miss the opportunity to speak with him.....as I know only too well.

My favourite Uncle was a mine of information, and so much fun.....we had a lot of great talks,
and I recorded the last talk we had on family history. I miss him very much.

I missed out on the talk I planned to have with my 2 maternal uncles in the wilds of Mayo who lived into their 90s.
I know all the history on paper....but you can learn so much more by filling in the gaps with little personal details.
The only way is by face-to-face conversation.
Where in Ireland is your uncle?
You should definitely go ASAP.....it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing.
This is one time I would run up the credit card....you can always catch up later!   Wink

Home sweet home....the hills I used to walk with Uncle Jerh:

lcainsa
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 12:30PM »

He lives in Castlederg, County Tyrone, not far from where my grandfather grew up.  One problem I foresee is understanding him!  We visited Northern Ireland for two weeks about 18 years ago and stayed with them.  It's the only time in my life I've sat listening to and having conversation with someone in my own language and had so much difficulty understanding what he was saying!  Of course, there are colloquialisms like "praties" for potatoes, but he has a fairly thick brogue, and there would be times when my mother, sister, and I would all look at each other and whisper "What did he say?!?" because not one of us understood him, lol! 

I'll have to get my cousin to come over and "translate"!  Smiley
Sorgi

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 05:21PM »

If it weren't for the fact that the hills turn golden brown in the summer (They are already starting to shift from green) that could the part of Amador County that I just drove through today.

-Dan

Maggie
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 07:29PM »

If it weren't for the fact that the hills turn golden brown in the summer
(They are already starting to shift from green)
that could the part of Amador County that I just drove through today.

Those hills are very special to me.....
That is a view from the mountain that saved my Great-Granddad Ryan's life during the Famine (and the rest of the family)
So it is the reason I'm here!
It is the source of the trout stream that still runs through the back yard of that little 200-year old cottage.
Whenever I'm home and my cousins are looking for me.....they know where I'll be.

Still the water flows.....sent from Heaven, my Granddad used to say:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 10:48AM by Maggie » Logged
lcainsa
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 10:29AM »

Just sttarted following the Genealogical Society of Ireland http://www.familyhistory.ie/ on Facebook, and saw a post from them this morning with a link to an article from Family Tree Magazine on Resources for Finding Your Female Ancestors.  While some of the information on the site is likely restricted (since you can become a VIP subscriber for only $50 a year), it looks like they have some resources and tips available at no charge.  They also have a few Genealogy blogs, which could provide useful info!
Maggie
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 01:39AM »

While some of the information on the site is likely restricted (since you can become a VIP subscriber for only $50 a year),
 it looks like they have some resources and tips available at no charge.
 They also have a few Genealogy blogs, which could provide useful info!

Those sites are really interesting.
It can be difficult tracing your female ancestors in Ireland.
Traditionally, they would have married and raised a family close to their parents and siblings.
However, because of the Famine, many of them travelled in search of food sources and work.
The coast, lakes and rivers were a source of fish, cockles, mussels, seaweed etc.

Many young ladies went to England to work in domestic service, including several aunts of mine.
They came back and married Irishmen, but some of the couples moved to England later because
employment was easier to find there.
Because Ireland was under British rule, there were no travel restrictions, and no passenger records
between Ireland and England. This is why many Irish ancestors are difficult to trace, and may be found in UK Records.

Two of my uncles in Mayo who were brothers never married.
They said they were too busy working the land, and the opportunity to marry never came.
One of them said to me "Who would want a poor farmer like me?"
Two of my Ryan relatives never married....uncle Jerh was disabled in an accident when he was a young man.
He was handsome with twinkling blue eyes and a gentle humour. His sister Mary had plenty of chance to marry,
but said it was her duty to care for her aging parents and her brother.
It was such a pity that Jerh never married.....he would have made a lovely husband and Daddy.

Here is an example of why records can be hard to find.
The following is part of the Baptism record of my maternal Grandmother.
I have the original, and her birth certificate.
There are several spelling errors in the official records, I have put the correct names in parentheses.
I can understand how the errors occurred, the handwriting of the originals is very ornate with many loops and swirls.

Type:                Baptism Record
First Name:         Heonora   (Honora)
Denomination:     Roman Catholic
Address:             Litterbrick   (Letterbrick)
Mother's Name:   Meary Loftus   (Mary)
Sponsor 2 Name:  Bgt Leoftus   (Bridget Loftus)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:16AM by Maggie » Logged
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 04:30PM »

I have been doing research on my family and found that my mother's male ancestors go back to a crab fisherman (Scrob - or LeScrob) born before the year 1000 in Normandy, France.  Others trace to (and before) Grimaldus I who founded Monaco.
Scrob's son was Richard Fitz Scrob, a Norman knight who became a landowner in England when he was granted lands by King Edward the Confessor prior to the Conquest.  He built Richard's Castle in about 1048-1050 in county Hereford, where he died in 1067.  Part of the castle still exists.
My dad's family was from Ireland -- his father came through Ellis Island about 100 years ago. Smiley

Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 06:13PM »

My grandpa Orie had some ancestors who were not only Celtic, but also last named Jordan for I'm inspired by a foreign country on earth.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Lily Anna
Total Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 06:39PM »

My great great grandma is from Ireland. I think she came over before Ellis Island, though. My grandpa does a lot of genealogy and he figured it that we are related to the people who created Toblerone chocolate. I'll have to ask him more about it sometime!

Thanks, Shining Bright!
Eric90

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 06:59PM »

I have a Great Grandmother on my Mother's side that was 100% Irish and a great grandfather on my father's side that was 100% Irish too don't know how much Irish I have in me though, I should get some DNA testing done lol

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: