Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cape Girardeau, MO 5-2-11: CW's first appearance at the Show Me Center!  (Read 6793 times)
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« on: May 04, 2011, 08:51PM »

Cape Girardeau, MO 5-2-11

The audience attending the Celtic Woman concert at the Show Me Center in Cape Girardeau, Missouri on May 2, 2011 was treated to its first appearance of the group there and judging from the ovation given the performers at the end, it will not be the last if future scheduling there is possible. No doubt many new fans were created upon seeing them for the first time.

It was not to be a forum-gathering occasion.  My attempts in ascertaining who was attending the show from the Celtic Woman forum and fan forums for the individual soloists in the days and weeks prior to the show had not borne fruit.  Either nobody was responding, or nobody was coming to this late-scheduled show.  After it was learned by Kentucky Educational Television (KET) that the customary two nights at the Louisville Palace would be but a single night this year, the possibility of affiliating with another show in the area was explored and apparently succeeded with the Cape Girardeau show, which would be a draw to KET’s western viewing area.  Add to the fact that the charge for M&G tickets through KET is among the highest in the country,  the prospects of my seeing any other forum members at the show looked very dim indeed.  The task is then to attract new forum members from those present.

The weather could not have been much worse. Flooding in that area around the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers was occurring.  In fact, the night of the show the US Army Corp of Engineers destroyed the nearby Birds Point levee in an effort to prevent flooding in Cairo, Ill.  Water was ominously edging up along the highways leading to Cape Girardeau as I made my way there.  Had the show not presented the opportunity to both support KET and Celtic Woman, I would not have made the 350 mile-each-way trip.  At the M&G Lisa Kelly expressed surprise at seeing me there. It would though, after all, be my last show of the tour and I was determined to go despite heck or…high water!  Cheesy

Seating in the Show Me Center was well back from the stage, giving plenty of room for  bagpiper Anthony Byrne to process up steps in the center (right in front of me, as it were) and for the choir to spread out at the conclusion of the show, which is sometimes done in those venues where space permits. Interestingly, my seat ticket was front row but not center.  I was seated talking to a delightful elderly couple from Dublin whose son was married to KET personality Melanie Glasscock and whom had come with them from Lexington with KET personnel for the show.  They were most knowledgeable about Chloe’s mom Adele (Twink) whom they said had been popular throughout Ireland since the 1960s. They had seen Chloe on her show as a child and knew of her sister Naomi as well.  We didn’t know at the time, but they would get to speak with Chloe at the M&G following the show.

Just as the show was about to begin, KET membership director Michelle Ripley offered me the seat dead-center front!  She said she had seen me seated too far from center in Louisville and wanted me to be closer! I therefore had the best seat in the house, seated next to Michelle and her husband!  Shocked

I had with me the forum signs made to display in support of the individual performers.  These were added this year as counterparts to the Fiddler Crossing Sign we had displayed in support of Mairead Nesbitt the last two years.  I had been unable to locate any other forum members by which we might coordinate a display.  Consequently, I was faced with the decision: whether to serve as the sole displayer or forgo displaying them at all for this show. I ultimately decided that a display of support in favor of the artists ought to trump any considerations of my own dignity. However, I was aware that a solo display of signs by me did smack of some of the man-on-the-street-corner displaying signs that read, “The End of the World is At Hand”.  Tongue  And I was sure I looked the part.  But what the heck: the performers knew me, the audience didn’t and we were all likely to perish in the flood waters anyway; so display the signs it was!  Wink

The majority of the audience may have seen broadcasts of the Songs From the Heart DVD on PBS stations, but most had not seen this show. The a cappella start of Nil Se’n La  with candle-lit angels Chloe, Lisa Kelly and Lisa Lambe taking the stage must have been wondrous and thrilling to them—as it still is to me! I was pleased that they applauded Mairead as soon as she came out on stage. Her fame precedes her!  Songs from the Heart is underway to a venue experiencing its first Celtic Woman show!

Chloe welcomes the audience and tells them that although it is their first show here,  they have had more than twenty appearances in Missouri.  Indeed, I had heard tweets and reviews of the Springfield show just days earlier and knew it could not be topped here.  But for those lucky souls here tonight, it would be the night Celtic Woman came to town!  When Chloe announces that champion bagpiper Anthony Byrne would be performing as specials guest on Galway Bay, an audible approval can be heard spreading through the crowd. Many piper appreciators here tonight—and Anthony and Tommy Martin give them much to appreciate!

Someone new on the spotlights this night?  Several times the correct soloist was not illuminated and an idle one was deprived of a few precious seconds of solace by being cast in the spotlight. I’ll bet that did not go unmentioned later after the show. How could you not anticipate the next 8 bars from Lisa Kelly?  The guy on the spots gets no Christmas card from me this year!

The audience has already shown it is primed for Mairead Nesbitt and they are in for a treat from Coast of Galacia!  Twelve (12) spins from Mairead during it!  The audience ought to be made to collectively try it themselves during the intermission!  On second thought, no..   Undecided

The audience slowly recognizes this version of Orinico Flow: not the same as on the DVDs, but recognizable and appealing none-the-less.  Most have not seen Chloe in it and fewer still Lisa Lambe. They are in for an unexpected treat and applause afterward is hearty.

My Lagan Love is next. Lisa Lambe’s poetic introduction is haunting and she is gorgeous, isn’t she!  What type of lame-brained leannan-sidhe wouldn’t be smitten with this one!  You hear from the audience the occasional, “Is she the girl on the program?”.  No, much prettier.  The choir parts are hauntingly beautiful—done by this choir no less ably than their predecessors.

The performance of Isle of Hope is a highlight for me each show. Tonight is no different.  As I stand for an ovation after its performance I can tell I’m joined by others, though can’t gauge how many. Tommy Martin gets applause for his fantastic pipe work in the piece, as well he should.

Granuaile’s Dance from Mairead and percussionists Ray Fean and Andy Reilly are rousing points for the crowd.  I flash the “Bodrain Player Crossing” sign at Ray very quickly—he sees it and laughs. Mairead delivers a tremendous hip bump to Ray.  Bruises to the hip from these, to the shoulder from spoons, a hazardous job!  Mairead saddles up to Andy who braces for an impact, but gets only a slight bump from Mairead, who gives a laugh!  Good Night My Angel follows.  Then Danny Boy, which I know will always be a crowd favorite.

Mo Ghile Mear!  The Dubliners sitting down from me I know are appreciative—the Irish lyrics are no mystery to them, nor are the sentiments behind the song.  And they tell me so at intermission.  They are thrilled with the show! And Chloe looks just like her mum at that age!

A marvelous rendition of the second half starter “The Call” gets everyone’s attention, as it must do.  Next, Lisa Lambe delights the crowd with her animated introduction of Dulaman, drawing quite a laugh as she introduces the two fine specimens of “sea weed”.  The “Lambe Crossing” sign goes up in my lap! She “spoons up” on Ray’s shoulder. The spoon ends up in Dermot’s pocket: don’t forget to take it out for the wash!  I’m thrilled that she sings to me in the portion of the song when she sings out to the audience!  Shocked  Do I stand for an ovation? What do you think!   Wink

And now, the numbers collectively entitled Songs From the Heart! The first slow number Walking the Night.  Beautiful pipe work comes from Tommy Martin, transitioning into a faster number with the duet of Lisa and Chloe taking over the singing duties in a song called Tabhair Dom Do Lamh.  Ray on the spoons: from the perch of his drum kit tonight, instead of on-the-rove.  Tommy’s pipes are masterful in this number.

The Moon’s A Harsh Mistress!  The  delightful interplay between Lisa’s singing and Mairead Nesbitt’s fiddle are a high point on the song, reminiscent of The Voice from A New Journey.  Lisa can really belt this one out with tremendous power and emotion!  She is such a joy to watch always!  Brian Connor performs perfectly on the piano and the interplay between he and Lisa is always fun, watching professionals who obviously possess such high regard for the talents of the other. David Downes has come to know he can trust his creation with the like of Brian, which speaks extremely highly of his talent.

Music hinting of mystery and danger next arises. Then lovely Chloe Agnew emerges from the shadows!  Of course, it’s When You Believe!  Could anyone perform it better?  With more energy and passion to give life to the lyrics? Not in my book!  Much of the appeal of this song is in the choir’s additions to it: the harmonies and choreography to which the choir members perform perfectly!  My these new girls are pretty—Eimear McCarthy, Laura McCabe and Máiréad MaGuire, joining Dermot Kiernan, Niall McGrath and Ciarán Kelly, the veteran male choir members.  I must stand to display my “Chloe Fan” sign on this one!  

At the Ceili!  This lively number is a source of never-ending source of fun watching the cast in their myriad  and fast-paced subplots!  Nobody could take it all in from watching only one performance! And don’t assume it will be exactly the same every night—it won’t!  A perpetual point of sadness for me is the part initially sung by Órla Fallon in this song.  I still miss her from the show so. Fortunately, I saw and talked to her only last week in Columbus and so the grief is greatly alleviated by the knowledge that she is still among her fans here.  It is no reflection on any deficiency in Chloe’s singing of those lines presently—but in simply missing Órla.  The song has rightly been included in every Celtic Woman show from A New Journey to the present, as it is a favorite and will remain so.

David’s   beautiful arrangement   of Dvorak’s Non C’e Piu  follows.  It would be a wonderful climax to any show and is certainly always a high point for me!  The alternating duets between  these gorgeous ladies affects me greatly any time I hear it.  The beauty of the arrangement alone warrants a standing ovation.  They will always get one from me, regardless of what the rest of the audience does.  Somehow, the cast is not surprised to see me rise to my feet afterward.  Tongue

Mairead’s lovely voice is utilized to introduce us to one of Celtic Woman’s renowned and best-loved numbers, You Raise Me Up.  What Celtic Woman concert would be complete without it?  She does a beautiful job and the audience is gratified at last to hear her speak!  The choir has an enhanced part in this version which has been creatively and fittingly introduced by David.

The Mo Ghile Mear Reprise is next!  Máiréad a la Jimi Hendrix! The instrumentalists are all featured and allowed to do their stuff on this one,  from the piano, to the percussion, to the bass, guitar and pipes, all get to show us something of their versatility to an extent not seen in any other number! Such excitement!  Surely, they don’t expect the audience to just quietly leave after this one!  A standing ovation from the entire house leads to the encore of Spanish Lady!  Where were they when I was standing up by myself like an idiot!  Playing hard to get, no doubt.   I am totally thrilled as Lisa Lambe blows me a kiss as she departs from the stage!   Shocked What a sweetheart!  Kiss

A thoroughly lively and enthralled audience leave this first show in Cape Girardeau, Missouri!  You bet they’ll try to get them back.  The Show Me Center has been Shown!  Cool

Meet & Greet

Probably the smallest M&G I have ever attended, but what quality!  Three Dublin-natives down from Lexington, KY with KET bigwigs.  Michelle Ripley and her husband, who was kind enough to take the photos of me appearing below.  In return,  I took photos of the KET staff with Lisa Kelly and Chloe Agnew.  These will probably appear in KET publications (hopefully minus a gigantic finger appearing also in the frame).  Will they give me credit?  No need, the front row center seat this night is enough!  Grin

I had a small birthday gift and card for Lisa’s birthday coming this weekend.  Knowing this would be my last show of the tour, I had also likewise brought a gift and card for Chloe, whose birthday is not until June 9.  It was my great fortune to have both of the birthday girls at the M&G so that I could give these gifts to them in person!  
Lisa, noting  I am many miles from my  Lexington home, asks how far I have come tonight.  350 miles each way, I say.  The combination of it being a KET-sponsored show and then giving me one last chance to see them this tour proved irresistible!  Lisa notes she has already signed this, my second tour program, twice.  Still want a signature?  Need she ask!  Yes, anywhere!  Same situation with Chloe, but she gives me a couple of additional autographs anyway!  She gives me a hug and I swing around to the edge of the table for an arm-in-arm with her!  I told her I was giving her the birthday gift since I would not be at a show around her actual birthday.  She asked me when my next show would be?  A Christmas tour show, I’m afraid would have to be my next!

I took the photos of them with KET personnel and they were off!  Lisa thanked me again for the birthday gift as she left.  I thanked Michelle Ripley of KET for the wonderful seat and urged her to try to get a Lexington date for them of the Christmas show, perhaps with the Lexington Philharmonic.  She said she would try and I know she will.  And so ended my last show of the 2011 Songs for the Heart Tour on an extremely high note!

The VIP KET group from Lexington with whom I shared the front row! TV personality Melanie Glasscock is next to KET Membership Director Michelle Ripley at right.

Lisa K and Chloe at the start of the Cape Girardeau M&G!

The birthday girl and the birthday-girl-in-waiting!

Lisa inspects the gift bag for possible booby-traps! None of the old mouse-trap-in-the-gift-bag for these two!  Tongue

A much welcomed hug from Chloe!  Wow!

Chloe graciously poses with the Starman!  Beauty and the Beast for sure!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 12:38PM by Starman » Logged

John910

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:32PM »

Great review.  Smiley
shankdee
Honorary Roadie

"We were all talking about you" said Lisa Kelly

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 01:33AM »

Cheesy  WOW incredible review...showing how they make NEW fans and respect and appreciate the regulars..
      that is the same seat I had at my FIRST TULSA concert...first row...center..seat...which caused LISA KELLY to
      tell me  "we were all talking about you"  HA...good times...thanks again..and it was scary, too with all the
       floods around. May you have many more concerts like a string of beautiful pearls...to view on velvet and appreciate
       as you have done this evening...

shankdee

Thanks For my Beautiful Deirdre Banner...GodsHorseGirl* * *
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

There can be miracles, when you believe!

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 06:00AM »

Wow really great review! I'm glad your last concert ended like that!! Very nice! Smiley

Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 05:17PM »

Thank you all for your kindness!  Now "CW withdrawal" sets in for a while.  Sad

SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 08:24PM »

Now THAT'S ending things on a high note! Glad you had a great time, John. I am sure the girls recognize you as one of their biggest supporters!

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 05:02AM »

Now THAT'S ending things on a high note! Glad you had a great time, John. I am sure the girls recognize you as one of their biggest supporters!

Zee

Even with the sunglasses on?  Tongue  Thanks Zee!  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: