Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review: San Antonio 5/17/11  (Read 3604 times)
Scott

« on: May 18, 2011, 10:36AM »

After a wait of more than eight months (my longest drought from shows since 2008), it was finally time for my first CW show of 2011.  This would be my fifth year with the tours and my thirty-first show.  Somewhere along the way I've become an old-timer of Celtic Woman.

My original plan back when the tour was announced was to go north to my old haunts at Wallingford, Manchester etc but lack of funds made that impossible.  It wasn't because of the cost of the concert tickets; it was what I have come to call the "associated costs."  This includes lodging, meals, ground transport, and most of all airfare.  I decided instead to concentrate on the later shows in Texas.  This would give me time to beef up my financial resources and would cost less since there would be no flying involved.  The Houston show was an obvious choice because of it's proximity.  Beaumont became a fun option when Roy indicated he wanted to go.  I also decided to take a chance and grab up tickets to San Antonio and Austin, in the hope that I could make those shows work as well even if no other Forum members showed any interest in going.  This would give me 4 shows in 6 days, almost as dizzying of a pace as what Mike and I did when we toured the Northeast following along with the ladies in late '09.

As the months turned into weeks my plan seemed to be working.  And when the weeks turned into days I breathed a sigh of relief.  I would be able to afford the shows and still have a financial cushion when I was done.  In the past I have sometimes taken enormous risks by lining up shows and had to take it on faith that life after the shows would work out, financially.  This year was different, I knew that the heady traveling of years past was impossible for me this Spring and I had to take it on faith that the shows I did choose would feel satisfying enough.  And as the days turned to hours it developed just as I had hoped, and more.

I drove out to San Antonio from Houston, which took less than 4 hours.  The ride was uneventful.  I called Tink and Coren (CTandrews), who were on the opposite side of San Antonio doing some shopping, so I took the time to park and take the short walk over to The Alamo, which is what San Antonio is most famous for.  Shortly after, Tink and Coren arrived and we went inside to see the exhibits inside The Alamo, during which we met up briefly with Forum fan Lester, who I had met at Houston last year.  Tink and Coren and I walked over to a cafe across from the venue and talked until the venue opened.  San Antonio has a very nice pedestrian-centered downtown; it was very relaxing sitting and talking about Celtic Woman until we were joined by Edanargu (Edd) who had driven up from Mexico.  I very much wanted to meet Edd, as he was the first fan from outside the United States that I would get to meet.  Coren and Tink talked of what had transpired the night before; or should I say, of what had PERSPIRED the night before: the air conditioning had not worked on the first night, the crowd had not been receptive, and the girls were ragged by the end of the night.  I was determined to do whatever it took to help make up for it tonight.  So when the doors opened we crossed the street and made our way inside.

The Majestic Theater is an ancient restored theater built into an old office building.  Again as with most of the restored theaters, the bland exterior belies the wondrous interior.  The interior lobby and hallways have all restored finery and detail (along with restored plumbing for the shortest water bubblers ever haha), while the inside of the theater itself is just like what El Paso was SUPPOSED to look like, with the fake walls and fake stars on the ceiling.  The theater had opera boxes, and no pit.  The stage was slightly shorter than some that I had seen, providing good sight even in the front rows.  The balcony was set back a bit to make room for the opera boxes.  The stage was exceptionally deep, which would provide plenty of room for Mairead to maneuver.  All in all, I would place San Antonio as second only to Buffalo among the theaters... it even beats out Boston, which is hard to do.

I originally had row E far over to the piano-side, almost at the exit doors to the side.  But within 2 minutes of when I was seated Coren ran over and remembered that he had a single seat in row B at the foot of the aisle piano-side that he had bought before he and Tink had gotten seats together, so he and I located it and I sat there.  This seat was practically a front-row seat, as there was no front-row seat in front of it.  I heartily thanked Coren... there was no question that the girls would see me from this seat!  But I also noticed that there were four seats unoccupied in front-row center; hmmm, those seats looked so lonely over there, we'd have to see about helping those seats out later.... and finally it was show time.

"Nil Se'n La!!"  Like never before, this song hit me... perhaps because Lisa Kelly and Chloe recognized me almost immediately (it would have been hard not to, as I was the only Forum member visible at the front).  And for most of the rest of the First Act, I received almost limitless attention.  But anyway "Nil Se'n La" was so perfect tonight.  I screamed myself hoarse as the song ended.  And yes, I liked Lisa Lambe immediately... "Fields Of Gold" again felt incredibly personal as Lisa made plenty of glances over to me; the crowd was showing itself to be VERY enthusiastic tonight, which was a relief... "Coast of Galicia!!!"  You would never know that the tour was winding down by watching Mairead; she seemed as energetic as she ever had been... "My Lagan Love" was my first real chance to experience Lisa Lambe in solo, and she has a much different and beautiful interpretation of the song compared to Lynn... "Orinoco Flow!!"  I LOVE the little change they made this year by giving each girl a little 1-second solo in the middle of the song, very nice and how in the world does David keep improving this song when I could have sworn it was already perfect?Huh?... "Galway Bay" made me realize as Chloe sang it tonight that Galway Bay isn't just in Ireland; every land in the world has it's own Galway Bay, a place we'd like to get back to if only we could... "Goodnight My Angel" has been totally changed, the pace is considerably faster than it was last year, not much like a lullaby now... "Mo Ghile Mear" was a fantastic ending to the first half.  I realized I had just experienced maybe the most personal half-show I'd ever had; it felt like Lisa K and Chloe had seen and sang to no one except me for almost an hour.  Of course that isn't what happened but it sure felt like it.  At intermission I immediately ISUed to the front-row center aisle seat that I had seen, and beckoned to Tink, Coren, and Lester to join, which they did.  There would be no lack of Forum interaction now!!!

Second half... "Amazing Grace" was special to me tonight as Anthony marched up the center aisle and finished by standing just 3 feet from me; the song received a standing ovation from the full house, very classy of the crowd... "DULAMAN!!!" Lisa Lambe, you are wow!!!  That song is yours now, don't let anyone tell you otherwise... "Non Ce Piu" was riveting and dramatic as always... "Mason's Apron" finally reached within me, I never quite loved it before but tonight the song came to life with an extremely enthusiastic clapping by the crowd and the usual great interaction Mairead has with the drummers (oh and welcome to our new drummer, even though he's not so new now having gone through almost the entire tour haha)... its time for "You Raise Me Up" already??  Seems like it comes earlier and earlier every show, but just like at Houston last year Chloe sang my favorite lyrics in the world while looking right at me with a gentle smile... "Encore Finale" was a demonstration of how much better the lighting is on this tour; its like a billion times better now than it ever was before; and Mairead has tweaked the violin solo just a bit more to make it even more amazing than ever; we in the front led the standing ovation when the girls came back out, whooping and hollering all the while... then a very satisfying "Spanish Lady" finished the show.

We made our way out slowly, Edd (who inherited my first-act row B seat via ISU) said his goodbye as he had to head home to Mexico.  The remaining four of us went looking through the Riverwalk of San Antonio for a place to eat and talk, finally settling on a McDonalds.  Tink was very curious about my impression of Lisa Lambe, and I'll tell you my impression is good all around.  It's obvious her background is in stage acting, she shows it so clearly in "Dulaman" and this is no knock against Lynn in any way; it's merely a different interpretation, just as Lisa's "My Lagan Love" is also a different interpretation.  As I've said in the past, comparisons with regards to CW are like pizza; I think all pizza is great, but the pizza I have at that moment always somehow seems better than the ones I'd had before haha.

Finally it was time to head out, I had a long ride home and I think we were all emotionally spent for the night.  Lester made me promise that I'd pull over and rest if I got tired, and I in fact did that, so that I didn't get in until almost 6am... which gave me a little sleep before getting up and getting ready for my official front-row center show and M&G at Houston for the next night.  But more about that next time.

-

I am so, so glad that I went to San Antonio.  Just like with Buffalo in late '09, May 17th at San Antonio followed a show that had not gone well (although the reasons those preceding shows had not gone well were not entirely the same in the two cases).  We all of the forums did our best to make the girls forget about all that at this show tonight.  I think we succeeded.  And it was nice for me to have attention from Lisa K and Chloe after so long without it.  I realized again just how much being a fan means to me.  Thank you to the girls for making my return to the tours so memorable.

Iluvcelticwoman
Featured Soloist

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 10:41AM »

See what did I tell you.. "I told you so". I knew you would be hooked on Lisa L.. Yay for ISU!!! I can't wait to here more about it tonight Wink

Bluefire
Total Fanatic

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 10:54AM »

The Majestic is a great theater, isn't it?  Aside from all the wonderful artistic touches around the theater, it's also a great size venue for seeing the girls.  The booming drums hit you without deafening you, and the soft sounds feel like they are right next to you.  These are things the arena doesn't generally do well.

I didn't tell you all since there was still some debate on if I could go, but I was indeed at that show.  I had a front row mezzanine seat (though technically not the front, since there were reserved corporate sections in front of me).  However, with the incline of the Mezzanine and even the Balcony seats, you could see everything wonderfully. 

The couple next to me knew the girls from PBS, but this was their first time seeing them live.  We had some good discussions.

And if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free!
lcainsa
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 11:15AM »

Yes, I felt that the crowd wasn't as receptive as it could have been on Monday night, but I will say that my sister and I did our very best to show our appreciation in spite of what the rest of the audience did (or didn't) do!   Wink
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

There can be miracles, when you believe!

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 11:43AM »

Great review Scott! Smiley

Jennifer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 03:13PM »

Great review!
totallylovesCw

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 07:04PM »

great review

April 16 was the best night i ever had
thank you Julia  for a wonderful banner and Evi for the avatar Smiley
Jeffrey aka Jeff
sunflower
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 12:41AM »

Wonderful review! I'm so glad you had a great time!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: