Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Voice" lyrics  (Read 30920 times)
Lynne

« on: April 11, 2007, 03:42PM »

The way I hear the lyrics to one line of "The Voice" is

"Bring me your peace and my wounds, they will heal". 

And this is what the entry from the Wikipedia site for Brendan Graham who wrote the song indicates.

This, I believe, is a reference to Scripture that says "by his wounds we are healed" which is a reference to Christ.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 04:10PM »

Quoted from the Wikipedia article on the song The Voice:

Lyrically, it is a very Celtic-inspired song, with the singer portraying herself as "the voice" which watches over the world, describing "her" effects on the natural world, such as the wind, the seasons, in a similar way to Mother Nature.

Mother Nature is telling mankind that the world's injuries will heal if man finds peace.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Lynne

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 05:06PM »

After reading my post, I see where it might be misunderstood.  What I meant was the wikipedia site showed the lyrics as being "...my wounds, they will heal". 

The last statement is my personal feeling about the song and what it says to me is a reminder of Christ's wounds that heal us.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 05:17PM »

Gotcha.  So we agree on everything.  Wink

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Meldy

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 04:18PM »

I think it has two views:  mother nature and God.  The first time I heard it I thought it had to do with mother nature, I wasn't wrong but there are other perspectives.  Like Hayley's "Let Me Lie" is about mother nature too. Wink

Banner by:  Scott
Alanna

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 09:25PM »

The song seems more like Nature than God to me, except that a particular part of the opening verses, "Answer my call and I'll set you free," seems like it's directly from the Bible.

By the way, a question that has been bugging me as of late: when Lisa sings the part that is supposedly "I am the force that in spring time will grow," does she say "force" or "voice?" Cheesy

Meldy

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 09:44PM »

It's "the force" I looked it up in the little booklet from the A New Journey album. Smiley

Banner by:  Scott
Alanna

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 01:00AM »

Yes, I know the lyrics say "force" but when I hear Lisa singing it, I can't tell if it's "force" or "voice!"  They do sound much alike, you know Cheesy

Anderpaw
Total Fanatic

Love the pipes!

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 01:59AM »

It's "the force" I looked it up in the little booklet from the A New Journey album. Smiley
Don't go by the booklet. If you check the lyrics for The Prayer it says "I pray we'll find your light and hold it in our hearts. When stars go out each night behind us where you are." Chloe clearly sings "Remind us where you are." Smiley

Lynne

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 04:17AM »

The Voice
Music and lyrics by Brendan Graham

I hear your voice on the wind
And I hear you call out my name

"Listen my child," you say to me
"I am the voice of your history"
"Be not afraid, come follow me"
"Answer my call and I'll set you free"

I am the voice in the wind and the pouring rain
I am the voice of your hunger and pain
I am the voice that always is calling you
I am the voice, I will remain

I am the voice in the fields when the summer's gone
The dance of the leaves when the autumn winds blow
Ne'er do I sleep throughout all the cold winter long
I am the force that in springtime will grow

I am the voice of the past that will always be
Filled with my sorrows and blood in my fields
I am the voice of the future
Bring me your peace
Bring me your peace and my wounds, they will heal

I am the voice in the wind and the pouring rain
I am the voice that always is calling you
I am the voice

I am the voice of the past that will always be
I am the voice of the future
I am the voice
I am the voice
I am the voice
I am the voice
Alanna

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 04:46AM »

Don't go by the booklet. If you check the lyrics for The Prayer it says "I pray we'll find your light and hold it in our hearts. When stars go out each night behind us where you are." Chloe clearly sings "Remind us where you are." Smiley

I noticed that too! And I think there's also a typo in the lyrics to The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun although I'm not sure. The booklet says the words in Orlagh's part are "I will the earth delight" but it sounds more like "I will the earth to light" to me Huh

jsharp

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 06:03AM »

As someone who's designed lyric sheets for CDs before, I assure you that - even though we try our best - they aren't perfect sources for information. I've actually had some uncomfortable discussions with the artist about what was written and what they actually sing. Sometimes on a cover song they misunderstand the original words and sing them wrong for years!

"No, really, dude. It's not 'Hold me closer, Tony Danza.' Elton John might be thinking that but he's saying 'Tiny Dancer'."

“You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” - Anne Lamott

Kelsey

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 08:24AM »

"No, really, dude. It's not 'Hold me closer, Tony Danza.' Elton John might be thinking that but he's saying 'Tiny Dancer'."

Wow, that is really funny!  Grin
Kelsey

Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 09:11AM »

in "Caledonia" Lisa sings "But if I should become a stranger" but the lyrics say "shall"

Thanks Lindsey
CWFan2
Total Fanatic

Love You Always Lisa!!

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 08:16PM »

Another 'lyric gaff' I noticed is in Orlagh's "CARRICKFERGUS". Near the end of the song, there is 2 or 4 lines she sings, about being drunk, which IS included in the number on The Live At Slane Castle concert DVD but is NOT included in the lyrics in the "THE NEW JOURNEY" CD. Plus, she also leaves this 'drunk' part out of the song on Tour now. I would say, in this overly politically correct world, that part is omitted for obvious reasons. But I was confused when she was singing this on SLANE CASTLE but I couldn't find it in the NEW JOURNEY CD lyrics. It appears there might be a couple/few typos and gaffs with the lyrics and one or two parts intentionally left out across both the SLANE CASTLE DVD and THE NEW JOURNEY CD.

Peace to all ... Bill

Still And Forever ... Our Angel From Heaven
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: