Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Artists  (Read 482605 times)
melle mel

« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2008, 06:45PM »

Looks like James Taylor will be hittin' the road this summer, and coming to Seattle (Chateau Ste. Michelle Winery in Woodinville) doing two shows, July 21st and 22nd.

I dig some of James' stuff, and my Dad's a fan of his music. Dad often plays his CDs in the car and the songs brings good memories of our family road trips and such. I'm sure James will be amazing in person.

Tickets go on sale Monday morning, so consider this Dad's early birthday present.

... And I got a pair of tickets for the July 21st show! Both nights are sold-out!

This will be a great show indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EoNd_maBbY

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2008, 06:53AM »

Luan Parle has posted a video, singing her beautiful song "Ghost" - in Irish!  It's a great song in any language, and she performed it perfectly under - shall we say - less than perfect conditions.  (She was freezing.  Cheesy )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeP1Rzua5Zg

Note - this video is worth watching just for her adorable hat.   Grin

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2008, 01:22AM »

Yay! The Moody Blues!!! Cool Cool Cool

There are several new clips on You Tube from the current tour.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2008, 08:37PM »

Luan Parle continues never ending tour.

http://redtrackmusic.com/?p=177

RedTrack favourite and an artist that can throw her name into the hat for the ‘Hardest Working Musician in Ireland’ award...........

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
paige
Honorary Roadie

Live Life to its Fullest!!

« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2008, 10:22PM »

I recently discovered a singer by the name of Connie Talbot.
She was on Britan's Got Talent and wowed Simon Cowell. She didn't win the competition but still got at record deal and the mindblowing thing is.. She just turned 7 years old!! I just think she is absolutely amazing especially for her young age and her voice will mature beautifully.

check out this link for a clip of her on Britan's Got Talent-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zBxt_w8_zQ

[you can find more videos of her on youtube]

official website-
www.connietalbot.com

i also love and reccomend
josh groban, the beatles, the beach boys, celine dion, & theres many more..

Thanks Mel!

Rest In Peace Margaret Ann Pater. 6/2/25-4/6/08
I love you Nana.
greenfire6
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2008, 10:13AM »

With five CD’s produced since 2002, Celtic band Banshee in the Kitchen is the real deal.

The 3 talented, personable and attractive ladies made the drive up from County Kern, California to County Lyon, Nevada LOL! and gave a lively performance for us in our tiny but well appointed and comfortable Cultural Center Theater.

The audience was overjoyed and gave enthusiastic applause for each three tune/song set and found much humor and information in the well timed and delivered lines between sets. Additionally, persons in the audience far more knowledgeable of Celtic music than I were very favorably impressed.

More than skilled musicians and vocalists the ladies have a gift for arrangement and blending the sound into a delightful, even mesmerizing mix. The transitions are exquisite! Their music includes some of what I call experimental- what they simply confess as pushing the envelope or out there. Yet they never stray far or long from the Traditional.

Their love for Celtic music results in breathtaking expertise and a joyous performance. They travel far and wide playing Festivals and theater appearances. My recommendation would be to watch for them and go hear them if you can.

Organizationally and in presentation the band seems horizontal with no particular lady dominating the stage. From left to right as they appeared for us was Brenda Hunter, hammered dulcimer, fiddle, vocals. Jill Egland, accordion, flute, bodhran, vocals (Jill also plays whistles but not on this night). Mary Tulin, 6 & 12 string guitars, an unusually large Irish bouzouki, vocals. The presentation is further enhanced by their wearing cultural dress.

Their five albums are: If We Were Us, 2002; Catching the Mooncoin, 2003; Even Hotter Water, 2005; Invite the Light: world music for winter, 2006 and finally Banshee in the Kitchen- live at painted sky, 2008. I purchased their 2005 and 2008 albums. Those will become an important part of my Celtic music library!

Thank you Banshees! You’re wonderful! Hope to hear you live again soon!
Maggie
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2008, 10:49AM »

With five CD’s produced since 2002, Celtic band Banshee in the Kitchen is the real deal.
The 3 talented, personable and attractive ladies made the drive up from County Kern, California to County Lyon, Nevada LOL! and gave a lively performance for us in our tiny but well appointed and comfortable Cultural Center Theater.

For such talented and accomplished ladies, I think they could have chosen a better name, especially if they ever plan to play in Ireland.

Banshee is from the Irish Béan Sí (fairy woman).
The banshee is a very bad omen.
Many people hear the banshee wailing around the house right before a family member dies. A relative of mine gets this warning before each bereavement, and calls the Priest.

If more than one banshee is heard, it means someone important is about to die.

Bottom line : In Ireland, nobody wants to hear the Banshee!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 12:39PM by Maggie » Logged
greenfire6
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2008, 02:11PM »

The name gave me some reservations although my reservations weren't as well defined as Maggie's. So I went there not really expecting them to be as good as they are.

I will write to you a lady in our community named Padraign was there and declared them wonderful. Padraign is what I compliment as All Irish, All the Time. She produces and hosts a brand new, twice weekly, program on our local FM station called The Celtic Music Hour. She is very knowledgable of the Irish music scene- especially in the Trad arena.

I will admitt, for now the purpose or intent of the name remains a mystery.

Meanwhile... Right after I posted this review I Emailed a copy to Mary, Jill and Brenda proceeded by one of my typically long winded thank yous. Mary has already sent me a very kind reply saying they loved the venue, the audience and were happy to meet a lot of nice people. She is thankful for the positive exposure Òrla’s and the CW Forums may provide them.

Maybe I will get the courage to Email Mary, Jill and Brenda and ask them about the name.
willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2008, 05:20PM »

A wonderful group that I really like is Walela (Cherokee for hummingbird), who performs Cherokee music.  Three women, Rita Coolidge, her sister Priscilla Coolidge and her niece Laura Satterfield, form this group, and their music is haunting and beautiful. 

Here's Cherokee Morning Song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLxW1scnoIw

Here's Amazing Grace in Cherokee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvYIjFtPQEk&feature=related

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
greenfire6
« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2008, 04:16PM »

A wee update regarding Banshees in the Kitchen:

Mary Tulin (Banshees in the Kitchen, guitars and vocals) has updated the bands website. (Add Webmaster to her many talents). Among other changes it now shows a very warm, colorful image of the Banshees performing in Yerington, Nevada the night of 12 April 2008. I would guess the picture was captured by Mary’s husband Kip, also known as the band boy because he takes care of much of the logistics on most gigs.

I will repeat the hyperlink here:      www.bansheesinthekitchen.com/

If you care to take the time to go there the picture is at the top of the In Concert page with a suitable caption.

The picture is just as I described in my review (earlier in this thread)- from left to right; Brenda Hunter, hammered dulcimer, fiddle, vocals, Jill Egland, accordion, flute, bodhran, whistle, vocals and Mary, 6 and 12 string guitars, Irish bouzouki, vocals.

The website is quite a good work so consider taking some time to look around.

I would like to boast I’m one of the heads silhouetted in the audience. The truth is the five of us were sitting further down and much closer to the stage! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2008, 02:55PM »

Luan Parle sings the Irish National Anthem - Amhrán na bhFiann - Live at the Bernard Dunne / Felix Machado fight in the International Events Centre in Castlebar in April 08.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMJroF-1_5o

greenfire6
« Reply #131 on: June 04, 2008, 10:08AM »

I am happy to write I am riding down to Bakersfield, California day after tomorrow where it will be my privilege to hear Banshee in the Kitchen live!

The “Banshees” will perform at Dagny’s Coffee Company in downtown Bakersfield, 7 to 9 pm, Friday, 6 June.

This is a kick-off of sorts for their summer season of concerts and festivals. Mary Tulin (guitars, Irish bouzouki, vocals) emailed me (that this); Should be fun.  We're doing this gig to a) connect with our local fans, b) try out some new material, and c) spin up for a huge festival we have a week from Sunday. Here Mary is referring to a festival in Santa Ynez, California where they will perform on 15 June.

This 2nd opportunity to hear Banshee in the Kitchen live has emerged much sooner than I expected. I’m really excited to, once again, hear their lovely interpretation of Celtic tunes and songs and thank them personally for their dedication to their music and generosity in sharing it with us.

It will be a good ride too! I plan to cross the Sierra Nevada Mountains at Ebbetts Pass where Hwy 4 goes to one lane for many miles. Then throttle south, through the Gold Rush Country, to Fresno and on to Bakersfield.

Life is Grand!
ChloeAgnewfan
Honorary Roadie

the only

« Reply #132 on: June 04, 2008, 11:17AM »

anyone listen to Kate Voegele??

Thanks Jeff and Snookie for the banners!
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2008, 11:25AM »

anyone listen to Kate Voegele??
Yes!  Kate's terrific, and she's touring right now!  Check the schedule on her MySpace page.

ChloeAgnewfan
Honorary Roadie

the only

« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2008, 12:10PM »

i checked it out, but sadly the only venue close enough is knoxville and its tomorrow. Sad

Kate's voice is an amazing gift.

Thanks Jeff and Snookie for the banners!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: