Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Artists  (Read 482587 times)
jons
« Reply #240 on: March 17, 2009, 09:51AM »

Here are some non-classical artists that may, just may appeal to some of the members on here:

It’s the general rule of thumb that well established artists who have a good career behind them always produce a cover album when they get older. Nothing wrong with that. Why though do the album covers always have to be in black and white? WHY, I ask you? Song’s Of Love And Loss was the first Tina Arena’s cover albums, having recently released a new one in November. The first one features a couple of Dusty Springfield songs and a Kate Bush one as well. Her voice is smooth like silk and shares the same gentle tones as Hayley Westenra.

Will is the only Lad amongst the lasses here. He is, in my opinion, the best thing to come out of a music talent show (apart from G4 and Kelly Clarkson or course!) His voice is jazzy, bluesy and emotive. The songs generally suit his voice. In fact some people don’t like Will’s voice and I’m glad I’m not one of them. I couldn’t imagine what it would be like not to like his voice. And he is such a great guy. This latest album Let It Go has some great lyrics on the songs as only Will can sing them. Utterly captivating.

Some of you are probably enjoying Taylor Swift’s new album right now. And why not, it’s a great little album; Taylor has lashings of personality. However, when it comes to country music, some of us prefer the more mature woman like Dolly for instance and this lass - Lee Ann Womack.
Call Me Crazy is full of songs that Lee Ann is famous for - poignant lyrics. Country music is not all line dancing and Southern accents. However songs such as Last Call, The King Of Broken Hearts and Everything But Quits (a duet with George Strait) bring it back home that this is a country album with references to Johnny Walker Red and cheatin’ songs. Country at its best.

As its St Patrick’s Day today it is appropriate to mention Cara Dillon. Hill Of Thieves his her latest album of folk songs. Usually people run a mile when they hear the word ‘Folk’ and ‘Song’ in the same sentence, but that would be a big mistake if you run away from this lady. What’s going to change your mind? Her voice for one thing. Astonishing is the word. Her voice is calming, rich and subtle. The songs have all the usual Irish trappings, but its done in such away that it should appear to all. Every song on the album is superbly produced, full of detail to listen out for and has those wonderful lyrics to move you and relax. Listen to the more typical up-tempo folk and you will have your foot tapping uncontrollably. Its addictive. Aside from Hayley’s Japanese albums, music doesn’t get any better than this.
CWFan2
Total Fanatic

Love You Always Lisa!!

« Reply #241 on: March 17, 2009, 03:09PM »

Lee Ann Womack is one of my favorite Country singers. She has that 'traditional Country' sound to her voice. Along with the 'traditional Country' looks too. But, Patty Loveless will forever remain my all-time number one favorite in Country Music.

... Bill

Still And Forever ... Our Angel From Heaven
Delaney

so-called chaos

« Reply #242 on: March 17, 2009, 06:12PM »

GELN HANSARD- he starred in the movie ONCE.
um his duet with MARKETA IRGLOVA won an oscar for best song!

um FALLING SLOWLY..good good song!
and his other song "Say it to me now" is really good!!

haha this movie actually is about these two ppl in Ireland!!! woo hoo!

5 months till im in ireland permantly!!=)

...lost in the darkness of my own circumstance, criticizing echoes leaving me awake in the night... the barrier and blockades that keep me safe&in control while I pretend that Im ok...
Delaney

so-called chaos

« Reply #243 on: March 17, 2009, 06:13PM »

Lee Ann Womack is one of my favorite Country singers. She has that 'traditional Country' sound to her voice. Along with the 'traditional Country' looks too. But, Patty Loveless will forever remain my all-time number one favorite in Country Music.

... Bill

Martina McBride! hands down!! ive seen her twice and she is amazing!
but i like lee-anne too!!)

...lost in the darkness of my own circumstance, criticizing echoes leaving me awake in the night... the barrier and blockades that keep me safe&in control while I pretend that Im ok...
CWFan2
Total Fanatic

Love You Always Lisa!!

« Reply #244 on: March 18, 2009, 08:01AM »

I've seen Martina in concert 3 times myself and yes, she too is one of my favorites. The woman can sing! You'll get no arguement from me there!

But Lee Ann has that real traditional 'country sound' to her voice. (Kinda like Tammy Wynette).

And Patty, coming out of the coal-mining hills of eastern Kentucky (Pikeville, KY) blows all others away with her 'Mountain voice'. (Ya know she has two cousins, albeit distant cousins, by the names of Crystal Gayle and Loretta Lynn)? And Loretta, of course, was the original Coal Miner's Daughter. Patty hails from the same region and the same lineage. Get her "Mountain Soul" album. And her Christmas album "Bluegrass And White Snow". She's completely, totally, 100% authentic. (I've seen Patty in concert 3 times too).

BTW ... Don't forget that Martina's new album "Shine" releases next Tuesday (03/24/09).

... Bill

Still And Forever ... Our Angel From Heaven
btimerson
CWF Global Moderator
Total Fanatic

Made it to ForumFest 2012 in Chicago!

« Reply #245 on: March 18, 2009, 06:59PM »

I did a quick search and didn't find this.  Leslie Mills singing "Before the Night Ends".  Very nice.  Words and music. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kT7-J6RHgQ

Brad T

Sorgi

« Reply #246 on: March 20, 2009, 10:57AM »

I can't wait to browse through this thread I'm always on the lookout for good music suggestion.

I'll drop a couple of my current faves, if anyone likes Classical/Spanish guitar a friend recently turned me on to Andres Segovia and Ottmar Liebert....fantastic instrumental music.

Also, at the risk of revealing myself a complete nerd the Battlestar Galactica Soundtracks are amazing, all the music is originally recorded for the show, it's almost entirely instrumental a very tribal/world music flavor, the few songs with lyrics are sung in Latin, Irish and Armenian off the top of my head.  Anyway the music is fantastic alot of percussion and strings it's one of my must listens.

I think someone else posted this YouTube of "Wander my Friends", but I can't find it on the forum so here's the relink :
Someone tracked down a translation and posted it with the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx0NSHME4N0

Stargate Atlantis has one called "Beyond the night"  (the person who uploaded the video used a german disc so for a few seconds you have German before the song starts) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8FaP5cnJbs

-Dan

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #247 on: March 20, 2009, 05:30PM »

Shiraz Tilley (Raz) had a demo album on itunes. I think she is going to be a keeper.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
jons
« Reply #248 on: March 22, 2009, 09:11AM »

I think I wasted some money on Jazz singer Melody Gardot. It was after watching the Paul O'Grady show (on uk tv) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLF68GEw9W8. In the interview she is an incredible sweet and gentle woman. Her voice is sublime. so I download her album from Itunes. Unfortunately it was one of those rare times when the songs just don't do it for me (the song in the video is the best on on the album). I was a bit disappointed with her take on' Over The Rainbow' (Mind you, it does have a few good sound effect at the beginning to test your stereo imaging).

I've give it a few more listens to see if I can get used to the songs.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 09:13AM by jons » Logged
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #249 on: March 22, 2009, 09:33AM »

Shiraz Tilley (Raz) had a demo album on itunes. I think she is going to be a keeper.

Jim
I agree, Raz is very good.  You can hear samples on her MySpace page at http://www.myspace.com/shiraztilley.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
jons
« Reply #250 on: March 22, 2009, 10:01AM »

This is a song from Tina Arena's second cover album: http://www.imeem.com/chansons/music/zeSTJ2JD/tina-arena-downtown/

Is that not beautiful? The song was originally sung by Petula Clark.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #251 on: April 08, 2009, 03:38PM »

Celtic Collections has a new artist named Cathy Maguire.  She toured with The High Kings, and she's releasing her first solo CD this month.  She's a very talented young lady.  for more information and clips from her album.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
BLUESTARMAN

« Reply #252 on: April 09, 2009, 03:35AM »

In between I'm listening to Dire Straits.

NEVER HURT A WOMAN!!
jons
« Reply #253 on: April 09, 2009, 06:53AM »

Speaking of Country singers, this artist was on a promotional version of the new Sony X Walkman:

Brittany McDonald. It didn't look real to me - the name Brittany and the song title 'Another Wannabe'. It looked more like a mock up. But she was real. Way back in March 2008 real in fact.

She is like a more mature Taylor Swift. The songs on the five track EP are funny and charming at the same time. I can't believe I missed her.

http://www.myspace.com/brittanymcdonaldmusic

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #254 on: April 24, 2009, 01:53PM »

The Moody Blues will be touring the US and Canada this year, starting in Arizona and California in July.  The schedule is on their official web site:
www.moodyblues.co.uk/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 02:10PM by Jim M. » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: