Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Artists  (Read 482631 times)
Lanti SF
Honorary Roadie

Proudly diagnosed Celtaholic!

« Reply #315 on: October 30, 2009, 03:18PM »

I've only heard their version of Carol of the Bells

Thanks Godshorsegirl!
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #316 on: October 30, 2009, 03:23PM »

Has anyone heard of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra? I came across them on Amazon and can't quite make up my mind about them. I kinda like them.
They've been mentioned often on our forum.

http://celticwomanforum.com/index.php?topic=2414.msg80463#msg80463

http://celticwomanforum.com/index.php?topic=833.msg106037#msg106037

http://celticwomanforum.com/index.php?topic=2494.msg81330#msg81330

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Lanti SF
Honorary Roadie

Proudly diagnosed Celtaholic!

« Reply #317 on: October 30, 2009, 03:28PM »

Has anyone on the forum heard of Jay Chou (popular in Asia) or Luo Dayou (from the 80's)?

Thanks Godshorsegirl!
CWFan2
Total Fanatic

Love You Always Lisa!!

« Reply #318 on: October 30, 2009, 03:50PM »

I've only heard their version of Carol of the Bells
They're actually, quite amazing.

... Bill

Still And Forever ... Our Angel From Heaven
LISAFAN4EVER
Choir Member

Lisa's my hero!

« Reply #319 on: October 30, 2009, 03:52PM »

Thanks for the links, Rich.

shankdee
Honorary Roadie

"We were all talking about you" said Lisa Kelly

« Reply #320 on: November 02, 2009, 08:19AM »

Wink Those are some cool tatoos!!!

Thanks For my Beautiful Deirdre Banner...GodsHorseGirl* * *
Lisa and Helen fanatic
Bodhrán Player

Lisa K ALWAYS brightens my day no matter what.

« Reply #321 on: November 02, 2009, 01:07PM »

I'm not sure if other members have said this or not but I like Michael Buble.  He's very talented. Smiley

I love my Kelly sisters! Cheesy
Texas Celtic Girl
Honorary Roadie

There can be Miracles,when you believe!

« Reply #322 on: November 02, 2009, 01:39PM »

I really like a  talented young Artist from Israel named Yael Naim. You may recognize her song " A New Soul" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgEfYGzojcA&feature=fvw   from the Macbook commercial.
 Another lovely song is "Far,Far"   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajcRFpJBLQ8

Colbie Callait is another artist I enjoy. Her song "Bubbly",has garnered some attention in the pop scene.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PWfB4lurT4

Thanks,Guardian and Annie!
8/17/10  Finally met Rosie Allen! Thanks,CW!
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #323 on: November 06, 2009, 12:29PM »

I saw the ad in local magazine for this Irish group to be performing at the college near me on Dec. 4

http://www.celticgrove.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=92&Itemid=2

http://www.danu.net/

http://www.canyons.edu/offices/pio/canyonspac/danuvideo.html
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 12:57PM by Shywolf » Logged
Inga
« Reply #324 on: November 07, 2009, 03:36PM »

David Garrett, german-american violinist

www.youtube.com/watch?v=erO4Hq5Spr0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWrzNsxhiGA

www.david-garrett.com
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:25PM by Inga » Logged
Lisa and Helen fanatic
Bodhrán Player

Lisa K ALWAYS brightens my day no matter what.

« Reply #325 on: November 07, 2009, 03:41PM »

I really enjoy the group Superchic[k].  They're kinda punkish, especially when they started out but they're great and really motivational. Smiley

I love my Kelly sisters! Cheesy
Texas Celtic Girl
Honorary Roadie

There can be Miracles,when you believe!

« Reply #326 on: November 08, 2009, 08:42PM »

I really enjoy the group Superchic[k].  They're kinda punkish, especially when they started out but they're great and really motivational. Smiley
Grin they're pretty awesome

Thanks,Guardian and Annie!
8/17/10  Finally met Rosie Allen! Thanks,CW!
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #327 on: November 19, 2009, 06:28AM »

Be on the lookout on Nov 23rd. Thats when a new CD of a brand new high profile artist is scheduled for release!

From the Artist
" I am convinced that music really is the universal language of beauty which can bring together all people of good will on earth" - Pope Benedict XVI

Yeap...the Pope has a CD! According to Amazon, the regular CD with 8 tracks will be $14, while the deluxe edition will include a 20 minute DVD and cost $23. I read somewhere that the Pope actually has a good voice. And I enjoy Gregorian chants a lot, though I usually relax to them when I cant sleep. But I would be interested in hearing more about it, if any of you buy it and review it. I am gonna wait at first and see what others say about this before jumping and buying.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Ggunsailor
Total Fanatic

Fill my glass, I'll sing a song!

« Reply #328 on: November 19, 2009, 09:11AM »

I'm not sure if other members have said this or not but I like Michael Buble.  He's very talented. Smiley
My little sister loves him!

"Music is something one can never be with out."-Me
celticfan1973
« Reply #329 on: November 19, 2009, 10:43AM »

Moya Brennan is a brilliant singer, and harpist. She was is a former member of Clannad. Here is some info on her:

"When you walk the windswept hills and endless beaches of Donegal it all makes sense. Timeless, elemental and carried heavenwards in soulful breath, Moya's voice reaches out to the farthest places but still touches the soul. She sings with an angel's voice, arousing a passion in every listener. Her music refreshes and heals, exciting the senses, bringing a sense of calm to tired hearts. Always fresh, forever just a dream away Moya captures the essence of her homeland in all its cascading beauty, mystery and contradictions. Yet she sings from the heart to a world where hope, faith and joy are not just a dream."

Yes, it all makes sense and there are elements of these qualities in many of the world's great singers. Yet it is astounding that her voice goes from strength to strength. She stands as an Irish icon with the world as her stage. In her music making, Moya has never been content to nestle within comfortable boundaries. From an early age she trod the boards with her father Leo in the dance halls, then became fixated with the likes of Joni Mitchell and the Beach Boys before going on to share, with her band Clannad, an enlightening discovery of the extraordinary wealth of Celtic history and melody on her doorstep. Clannad sent tremors through the world of traditional music. With Harry's Game they took the Irish language and its melodies to places that it had never been before. Top of the Pops, major record contracts and world tours. The accolades followed -Ivor Novello and BAFTA awards plus, after several nominations, a Grammy award in 1999. Their music was fresh, vibrant and progressive.Alongside all of this, Moya has developed an individuality which has already shown itself in her expanding body of work. When an artist's career can often be measured in months, hers spans decades. Through this clamorous journey, through school halls, folk clubs, festivals, discos, churches, the world's most renowned concert halls she has travelled purposefully and always focused. The power of her whispered tones and the beauty of her music touch the soul. Gently, yet persistently, her songs and her music are redefining Irish music.

Moya's albums and comments:

Máire (1992)

“My first solo album. After years of teamwork here I was at last with my own blank canvas. Both daunting and exciting. I was 8 months pregnant when I finished in the studio so those last few days were touch and go. I’d come across Calum’s (my co-producer) name through his work with The Blue Nile. Great musicality and loads of dramatic space. I’d known Donal (the other co-producer) for years and regarded him as the godfather of contemporary Irish traditional music! Calum, Donal and I inspired each other to produce an album which took my background as a starting point but spread its wings to incorporate influences from a lot of the ‘world’ music – African, Bulgarian, Asian and others- that I was listening to at the time. My sisters (we call ourselves The Jeannettes when we’re messing around) had the time of their lives and provided the album with the unique feel that only a Brennan party in full swing can achieve!”

Misty Eyed Adventures (1993)

"Back to Scotland for my second album. Thrilled to be working with Calum and Donal again - and of course the lure of the North Berwick coast. One song, The Days of the Dancing, was inspired by my father, Leo, who often talks of those glorious times when he was touring with his show band. The village halls would be packed to the gills on a weekend night, men on one side of the room, ladies on the other, all decked out in their best and eyeing each other nervously waiting for someone to make the first move. Having recorded the lullaby, Oró, for my baby girl on my first solo album the title track of this one, Misty Eyed Adventures, was written for my son, barely a year old and facing all the world had to throw at him."

Prefect Time (1998)

“Another big step for me. Having explored sounds and influences from around the world it was now time to delve into my faith and, particularly, how it figured in my home country. Many see Celtic spirituality as a mix of pagan and New Age traditions. I was keen to highlight the distinct Christian origins of our cultural heritage. Not just St. Patrick but the emphasis placed in Celtic Christianity on the wonders of creation and the simple beauty of what surrounds us in fuelling our passions. As the millennium came to a close I saw Ireland standing at a crossroads. Now, more than ever before, a healing heart was needed. I’d worked with Denis (my producer for both Perfect Time and Whisper to the Wild Water) with Clannad and also on the Irish Football squad’s World Cup anthem for Italia 90! Consequently, he understood the ethereals and we still managed to maintain a down-to-earthness which carried us through more than a few late nights.”

Whisper To The Wild Water (1999)

“After Perfect Time I talked to so many people about the uncanny spiritual quality that Irish music has and how it touches the soul in a way that no other music can quite do. Sometimes mournful yet full of hope, it captures sadness at a point where the only place to go is upwards. The spirit of days gone by which took the Irish abroad, to carry hope in the world, lives on.”

Two Horizons (20003)

"I wanted to do something here that I have never attempted before. Tell a story. I was very lucky to have been able to work with Ross who allowed the time and space to explore ideas fully without having to rush on to the next thing. The story of the harp grew from a number of directions. First, I wanted to reflect an Irish theme. Second, I found myself writing more and more in the studio with my harp (an absolute pleasure having relied on mostly keyboards before). And lastly, I became fascinated with the way harp music is a strong cultural tradition in many parts of the world and always has a peaceful, transcendental beauty about it. This has been the most ambitious but satisfying piece of work I have ever done."

An Irish Christmas (2005-2006)

‘An Irish Christmas’ charts a different course, reviewing the Christmas story through a blend of new tracks and leftfield favourites. From ‘God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen’ to ‘In The Bleak Midwinter’, Moya reworks the classics with an intimacy that restores the personal and the passionate to what have become mumbled, half-remembered musical yarns. The listener is placed in the front row of the ultimate nativity opera. According to Moya, the idea for the album first came to her some time ago: “I’ve been involved in number of other people’s Christmas projects in recent years,” explains Moya, “but I wanted to capture a truly Celtic Christmas feeling.” “It’s always important to bring the meaning of Christmas to the fore. It is the essence of what I believe in and the album offers both celebration and reflection on that familiar theme.”

Signature (2006)

Signature looks back over a life less ordinary and portrays Moya's experiences through a collection of twelve superb tracks. Musically sharp and finely tuned, the album cleverly treads a fine line between the contemporary and the traditional while Moya emerges as a skilled songwriter with a global ear. In true Irish tradition, many of the songs have that bittersweet flavour - so this is no rose-tinted retrospective. Rather, Signature is a series of snapshots of Moya’s life – each chosen moment launches a lyrical reflection - which, when all woven together, produce a tapestry of contrasting colours and emotions.

Heart Strings (2008)

Heart Strings is Moya’s first ever live solo recording and features the prodigious talents of the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. Recorded at the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall and in Germany in October 2007 the thirteen tracks include three classic songs from Moya’s days as the voice of Clannad, including ‘Harry’s Game’, ‘I Will Find You’ and ‘In A Lifetime’. Drawing on Moya’s recent solo work with tracks like ‘Tapestry’ and ‘Sailing Away’ – tracks that showcase both her skill at crafting evocative moments and her prodigious band’s skilful musicianship - the live show recording underlines just why Moya is known as the First Lady of Celtic music. Moya was thrilled to work with Julie Feeney who both scored the orchestral arrangements and conducted on the night.

More about Moya Brennan at her site http://www.moyabrennan.com
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: