Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Artists  (Read 482483 times)
Texas Celtic Girl
Honorary Roadie

There can be Miracles,when you believe!

« Reply #345 on: January 24, 2010, 09:04PM »

I don't always agree with her politics, but there's no denying that Barbra Streisand can carry a tune!!

Zee

Couldn't  have said it better myself,Zee!

Thanks,Guardian and Annie!
8/17/10  Finally met Rosie Allen! Thanks,CW!
Sorgi

« Reply #346 on: February 01, 2010, 08:45PM »

http://www.mondaviarts.com/events/event.cfm?event_id=780&season=2009
Hmmmmmmm

-Dan

IloveyouSarahBurke!! <3
Choir Member

When You Believe~ Chloe:"that was for you" 5/15/15

« Reply #347 on: February 03, 2010, 01:58PM »

My 2 favorite singers (other than CW of course.. Smiley ) are Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth.  They were both in the original cast of Wicked Idina was Elphaba (she won a Tony) and Kristin was G(a)linda.  Idina was also in the original cast of Rent and the Rent movie as Maureen, and she's in Enchanted as Nancy Tremaine.  Kristin is in The Music Man with Matthew Broderick as Marian the librarian, Deck the Halls as Tia Hall and Bewitched as Maria.  She's in a gazillion more movies, but it would take too long to name them all.  She was also Olive in Pushing Daisies.  Smiley

Thanks Scott! 
I MET CHLOE (6X),LIL' LAMBE (4X)MAIREAD NESBITT(6X)AND SUSAN(6X) MAIREAD CARLIN(4X) ALEX SHARPE,and EABHA!!!!!!!!!!
Où est le lait de soja?
« Reply #348 on: February 03, 2010, 02:09PM »

Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong decade.  This is one of the voices I always heard growing up from my mother... good ol' Judy Blue Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2r4SSKfe4A

and at 70, she's still kickin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8OWZp801ms

~Mel

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 07:03PM by Où est le lait de soja? » Logged
Snookie
Total Fanatic

« Reply #349 on: February 03, 2010, 09:20PM »

My 2 favorite singers (other than CW of course.. Smiley ) are Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth.  They were both in the original cast of Wicked Idina was Elphaba (she won a Tony) and Kristin was G(a)linda.  Idina was also in the original cast of Rent and the Rent movie as Maureen, and she's in Enchanted as Nancy Tremaine.  Kristin is in The Music Man with Matthew Broderick as Marian the librarian, Deck the Halls as Tia Hall and Bewitched as Maria.  She's in a gazillion more movies, but it would take too long to name them all.  She was also Olive in Pushing Daisies.  Smiley

I agree with you 100%! Absolutely LOVE them!!!! Grin

Ggunsailor
Total Fanatic

Fill my glass, I'll sing a song!

« Reply #350 on: February 04, 2010, 02:23PM »

I love those two, too! Grin

"Music is something one can never be with out."-Me
IloveyouSarahBurke!! <3
Choir Member

When You Believe~ Chloe:"that was for you" 5/15/15

« Reply #351 on: February 06, 2010, 02:43PM »

Idina and Kristin are 2 of my heros.  After meeting Idina, she has become even more amazing because of how sweet and down to earth she is....

Thanks Scott! 
I MET CHLOE (6X),LIL' LAMBE (4X)MAIREAD NESBITT(6X)AND SUSAN(6X) MAIREAD CARLIN(4X) ALEX SHARPE,and EABHA!!!!!!!!!!
Texas Celtic Girl
Honorary Roadie

There can be Miracles,when you believe!

« Reply #352 on: February 06, 2010, 06:40PM »

Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong decade.  This is one of the voices I always heard growing up ... good ol' Judy Blue Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2r4SSKfe4A

and at 70, she's still kickin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8OWZp801ms

~Mel

I think i was born in the wrong time too,Mel!lol.  All joking aside,I love Judy!

Thanks,Guardian and Annie!
8/17/10  Finally met Rosie Allen! Thanks,CW!
Mike

« Reply #353 on: February 06, 2010, 10:23PM »

This is one of the most peaceful and gentle songs that I've heard in a really long time. 
I just discovered it a couple of days ago and feel the need to get the album.

Allison Krauss has an exceptionally great voice and I really like this song, Killing the Blues.   Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ-41hF_vw8
Katharine
Bodhrán Player

Believe :-)

« Reply #354 on: February 06, 2010, 11:16PM »

This is one of the most peaceful and gentle songs that I've heard in a really long time. 
I just discovered it a couple of days ago and feel the need to get the album.

Allison Krauss has an exceptionally great voice and I really like this song, Killing the Blues.   Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ-41hF_vw8

I love this song!  I really love Allison Krauss, too.  I think she has such a soft voice, and it's beautiful, too! 

Thank you, Dayna, for my awesome banners!!
Où est le lait de soja?
« Reply #355 on: February 10, 2010, 10:02PM »

Quite possibly the best bodhran player.

http://audioboo.fm/boos/26471-turbo-bodhran-yvonne-mairin-fahy-vor
(Yvonne's bodhran solo starts towards the middle, but I don't recommend fast-forwarding, because Mairin is an amazing fiddle player)  She does

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri82w3kfnkw

The audio is pretty bad ... but you get the idea.

~Mel
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 10:04PM by Où est le lait de soja? » Logged
Jennifer
« Reply #356 on: February 11, 2010, 07:52AM »

My 2 favorite singers (other than CW of course.. Smiley ) are Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth.  They were both in the original cast of Wicked Idina was Elphaba (she won a Tony) and Kristin was G(a)linda.  Idina was also in the original cast of Rent and the Rent movie as Maureen, and she's in Enchanted as Nancy Tremaine.  Kristin is in The Music Man with Matthew Broderick as Marian the librarian, Deck the Halls as Tia Hall and Bewitched as Maria.  She's in a gazillion more movies, but it would take too long to name them all.  She was also Olive in Pushing Daisies.  Smiley
Yay! Cheesy

I'm also a fan of Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth! Cheesy
Bluefire
Total Fanatic

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

« Reply #357 on: February 11, 2010, 08:51AM »

My 2 favorite singers (other than CW of course.. Smiley ) are Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth.  They were both in the original cast of Wicked Idina was Elphaba (she won a Tony) and Kristin was G(a)linda.  Idina was also in the original cast of Rent and the Rent movie as Maureen, and she's in Enchanted as Nancy Tremaine.  Kristin is in The Music Man with Matthew Broderick as Marian the librarian, Deck the Halls as Tia Hall and Bewitched as Maria.  She's in a gazillion more movies, but it would take too long to name them all.  She was also Olive in Pushing Daisies.  Smiley

Fabulous singers, both of them!  I've been singing along to Idina's album "I Stand" quite a bit and I am forever a fan of Kristin as Olive in "Pushing Daisies".   Smiley

I LOVE Judy Collins! My fav song of hers is Anathea.  It's Beautifully Haunting.

My all-time favorite of Judy Collin's is something of a lullaby - the title song to the Rankin & Bass animated movie "Wind in the Willows" (performed within the first 5 minutes of the film).  I have a VHS copy taped off the TV... still trying to track down a better copy, though (it was never released on DVD.  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:07AM by Bluefire » Logged

And if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free!
Où est le lait de soja?
« Reply #358 on: February 11, 2010, 11:27AM »

Yay! Cheesy

I'm also a fan of Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth! Cheesy

I do enjoy Idina. I've been a fan since way before Wicked.   However, cannot tell a lie, I was a little disappointed in I Stand.  It's a good CD, just didn't do much for me.   Still I Can't Be Still is my favourite album of hers.  and her other album Here makes a regular occurrence on my iPod ... I like the more acoustic setting.

~Mel 
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #359 on: March 01, 2010, 04:54AM »

Martina McBride & Trace Adkins 'Shine all Night" Tour

I attended their concert here last saturday night. I have a few comments, and a question or 2, that forum members might be able to answer. I will try to keep this short and not end up a long review.(hahaha yeah right...me concise?)

First, if I had to grade the sound, I think I would give it a D. Trace sounded ok, but his music is more about energy, loud, lots of instrumentation, etc. Its not about quality. I dont mean that in a bad way. But its different for Martina. She has a great voice, so quality matters a lot. But she didnt sound good at all. I figured something was wrong. Maybe with equipment. Then I thought maybe it was my seat location. I was left center 10th row. Way left. So I thought maybe my seat location too much in front of some type of speaker, while too far away from another. Martina sounded 'chipmunk'. But then I read the review in todays paper. Here is a quote...

Although Ms. McBride was clearly dealing with an illness of some kind, her singing didn't suffer. She took in a lot of fluids and never missed a note, really concentrating to deliver the goods. She did deliver them, once again showing why she is still on top of her game

So, my question for you who know a lot about sound. Was it seat location? Could it have been equipment issues? Or was it likely illness, with this reviewer I just mentioned just being kind? Because Martina clearly gave it her all. Though I ddint think it was a health issue until I read that review.

Second, beach balls...who needs them? I give a D to the radio station sponsoring this concert. At the very end someone, I presume the radio station because they seemed to have the station logo on them, released a bunch of beach balls and fans were smacking them about in the air. I know it happens at other conecrts too, but its very distracting. Plus, I tend to flinch when I see one headed toward me. Maybe I am just a wet blanket on the fun,

Third, the crowd's enthusiam at times, slumber at others. Now this was strange. Trace had the place rockin and rollin, people were standing, lots of energy. The lady near me even sort of was rubbing up against me. At first I thought maybe because of the cramped conditions in floor seating, but I think if I did what she did to a woman I would end up in jail! BUt I am a bit flattered, but also a bit, I dont know, surprised. But many ladies were going nuts over Trace. Then intermission as they removed Trace's stuff. Then Martina does her first song, then AFTER that first song, about 8 ladies got up and left! Including the one next to me. Why didnt they just leave at intermission, if they only wanted to see Trace? Was strange. Then the crowd got quiet hit! The lady fiddler tried prompting claps, but got none, Even Martina's prompts went unanswered at one point. BUT, the crowd did perk up after the one song. Cant remember the name now, but she got a surprising standing O with a lot of cheers, sort of out of the blue. Everyone woke up! But maybe Trace's style sort of wears on fans, and they get a little tired by the time Martina comes out. Plus her style is different. Though theres a lot of energy too, its different.

Now some positive stuff. Martina gets an A+ for her fan interaction. I thought this even before I found out she was sick. To be that good while sick, WOW. After that standing O I mentioned, she said a very nice , yet brief thank you. She has a great sense of humor. Trace is good with interaction too, but I would say an A, not A+.

The show had plenty of lights, tv monitors on the back of the stage, even a boom that had a crescent moon thing with a seat, that hoisted Martina in the air and took her over the crowd to a stage near the sound board. So the special effects were very effective.

And perhaps most important, everyone had a lot of fun. Lots of energy to the show. Certainly worth paying the price to go. A great show.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: