Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Artists  (Read 482671 times)
Natalia
Bodhrán Player

May 12 was a wonderful day!

« Reply #375 on: May 16, 2010, 02:01PM »

I just learned that Idina Menzel will perform here on June 29, tickets go on sale tomorrow at 9am!  Shocked  Since CW wont be within my travel range until July, this looks like it can fit in my schedule very well! LOOK OUT Idina here I come!  Cheesy

That's awesome! Idina is wonderful! Enjoy!

Où est le lait de soja?
« Reply #376 on: May 16, 2010, 07:52PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpHiFwb6hyI

Damien O'Kane.  He's currently part of Kate Rusby's band (and her partner they just had a baby together in September Cheesy )

He has very nice voice, and is an amazing banjo player.

You check out his album summerhill on iTunes.

Mel
Jennifer
« Reply #377 on: May 16, 2010, 07:56PM »

I just learned that Idina Menzel will perform here on June 29, tickets go on sale tomorrow at 9am!  Shocked  Since CW wont be within my travel range until July, this looks like it can fit in my schedule very well! LOOK OUT Idina here I come!  Cheesy
have fun! Smiley i'm seeing Idina in November Grin
Enchanted

« Reply #378 on: May 17, 2010, 08:35PM »

LILITH FAIR COMPETITION - please vote for Marina V!

THE BIG LILITH FAIR CONTEST IS HERE!!!

I saw Marina playing live in my home town about a year ago.  She is great!  I've been a fan ever since.
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #379 on: June 30, 2010, 07:16AM »

Idina Menzel - Heinz Hall Pittsburgh - June 29, 2010

On a scale of 1 - 10, I give Idina’s performance a 547! WOW! Just amazing! This lady has an amazing, powerful voice and hits ALL the notes with power and quality. In addition to the voice is the charisma. It seems she just reaches out and grabs the audience. You just can’t help but give her your full undivided attention. Plus she mixes in humor with the more serious songs in a way that you go from having a tear in your eye to a pain in your side from laughing so hard. The sense of humor, the empathy of emotion, and talent are unreal.

I arrive at the show and quickly see a mass of people in front, along with “SOLD OUT” signs outside the hall. So I head for my seat. Fourth row right, but also on the aisle, so I am looking to my left, out over the aisle to see her center stage. This turned out to be an excellent seat. I was about 25 feet away with a great view. I could also hear her natural voice.

The Pittsburgh Symphony started the evening off with a few songs. The director told some good jokes, like “you see you all are lucky to be here, the show is sold out. Its easier to get an iPhone than a ticket for this show”. Then an intermission, and then its Idina.

She started off with “the life of the party”. I didn’t know many of the songs she did. I did recognize Cole Porter‘s “Sex for sale”, which was combined with “Roxanne” and red lights came on when the “red light” lyrics were sung. Idina moved in a  kind  of sultry way, at one point pointing and wiggling her finger in a “come here and get it” kind of motion, as one might expect for this song. She had fun singing a Lady Gaga song and amused everyone. She also had a fun, upbeat kind of song about her 10 month old son. It was cute how she worked him into the songs and a story for the show. She really does a great job with her jokes, stories, and speeches. She told her Barbra Streisand story and sang “Funny Girl”. She claimed that both her idols, Streisand and Aretha Franklin, were only mildly impressed with her one performance they were both at of “don’t rain on my parade” at Kennedy Center. At one point , she really tugged on our hearts as she pointed out a lady up front center who she talked with earlier in the day. This lady had breast cancer, and Idina dedicated her next song, “Gorgeous”, to her. At another point, Idina talked about how the one producer of Rent  died of an aneurism at age 35 when she sang “no day but today“ from Rent..

Another cool thing she did was to put down her mic and take off the ear thing and sing the first part of the last song a cappella and in natural voice.  A great standing ovation and she was back out on stage with her encore song, “ tomorrow” from Annie. We did not get a second encore song, though I have read some other cities have. The audience was polite and provided a nice standing ovation at the end, but, like so many Pittsburgh crowds at performing arts concerts that I have seen, the audience was mostly subdued and calm throughout the show.  A bit of “Velcro seat syndrome” in effect. 

Although I enjoyed her humor, I would guess that some might not be as impressed. She did use the word ‘suck’ and then said “can I say that?” and made a joke out of it. She also made an implication that she preferred President Obama over President Bush. She seemed to be careful what she said though and limited it. One of her strengths seems to be knowing were to draw the line yet also be a bit edgy and funny. But I would think that since we all have different attitudes on that, that some might not appreciate such things. But I thought it all worked out very well.

There are 2 things that I would have liked to have seen different. First, the program wasn’t that great. It wasn’t the usual $20 type loaded with pics and info. It was just one of those cheap printed by the venue types that ushers handed out for free. Too bad because I am sure she could have sold a lot of programs , even at $20 or more. Second, I would have liked to have heard her sing “I dreamed a dream” and some other songs that I actually  knew.

But this a great entertaining performer. A must see if she comes to your town!

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #380 on: July 05, 2010, 02:26PM »

I just learned that TobyMac will be here in December. Not sure if I want to go though. Anyone seen them lately?

For those of you unfamilar with them, they are 2 of the 3 guys of DCTalk, a Christian rap group from maybe 15 years ago. They were pretty good.I know it sounds sort of strange....Christian Rap?  Shocked I still regret not going to their one concert here many many years ago.

If I was sure they were going to perform some of the popular DCTalk songs I would go.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #381 on: July 06, 2010, 09:32AM »

If anyone is interested in the professional newspaper's review of the Idina Menzel concert I attended.....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10182/1069441-388.stm

celticartzyangel
« Reply #382 on: July 06, 2010, 12:04PM »

I just learned that TobyMac will be here in December. Not sure if I want to go though. Anyone seen them lately?

For those of you unfamilar with them, they are 2 of the 3 guys of DCTalk, a Christian rap group from maybe 15 years ago. They were pretty good.I know it sounds sort of strange....Christian Rap?  Shocked I still regret not going to their one concert here many many years ago.

If I was sure they were going to perform some of the popular DCTalk songs I would go.
TobyMac and DCTalk are AMAZING!!  Cheesy
SusanZ
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #383 on: July 07, 2010, 12:19PM »

Just saw Mary Chapin-Carpenter in concert last week. What a fantastic show! I think she is truly a talent, a fabulous songwriter. I think a lot of her songs could be classified as poetry. She just released a new CD "The Age of Miracles". Absolutely beautiful - just listen to "Mrs.Hemingway". It's about Ernest Hemingway's first wife and their time together in Paris before he fell in love with her best friend! Very haunting.

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Où est le lait de soja?
« Reply #384 on: July 07, 2010, 01:20PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B7udr-BGBE

Nic Jones, anyone?  * looooovvvveeeeee * I forgot I had a bunch of his music on my iPod ... don't know how I could ever forget about this voice, but somehow I did.  (but fortunately, I cleaned up my iTunes ... and there is now a Nic Jones playlist, so it won't happen again Cheesy )

Mel
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:21PM by Où est le lait de soja? » Logged
CelticWomanAddict
Total Fanatic

You'll Never Walk Alone

« Reply #385 on: July 07, 2010, 04:58PM »

Ringo Starr of The Beatles is 70 today

lisaholic nr1
« Reply #386 on: July 07, 2010, 05:37PM »

Did not know that... happy birthday Ringo!
AmandaLKlvr

Let me sail, Let me sail, with the Orinoco Flow!!

« Reply #387 on: July 08, 2010, 09:28AM »

Celine Dion.
I've never been a huge fan of hers. I liked her big hits like My Heart Will Go On, etc. So I decided to watch Celine: Through the Eyes of the World for fun and I was amazed by her talented voice! It's a documentary showing her Taking Chances tour with footage of the concert and behind-the-scenes. Not only does she have a great voice, she is also hilarious!! After I saw that, I became hooked to more of her songs! Her voice is one of the few in the world that can sing amazing live! (and of course, CW Cheesy) So if you've only heard some of her songs, I would look into more of them. I even like her French songs, even though I have no idea what she's saying... Shocked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEggoXwoXEY&playnext_from=TL&videos=j7Rr6kBdbrw

.-Amanda-.
Iluvcelticwoman
Featured Soloist

« Reply #388 on: July 08, 2010, 09:40AM »

I looooooooooooooove Celine Dion

SusanZ
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #389 on: July 08, 2010, 07:44PM »

Ringo Starr of The Beatles is 70 today

Saw him in concert with his All-Star Band on Tuesday night in Lancaster. He looks FABULOUS!! Great show too!

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: