Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Artists  (Read 482653 times)
LisaKholic

« Reply #495 on: March 01, 2011, 03:43PM »

Josh Groban just announced his tour if there any fans out there:

http://www.joshgroban.com/splash/
If I can convince my mom, I may be able to make it to his show in July Smiley

I'm going to see if I can get tickets for me and my best fried Grin

Thanks Bluefire ^^
Lisaaaaa Kelly!!!<3
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #496 on: March 05, 2011, 06:03PM »

Amy Grant & Michael W Smith  Pittsburgh - Benedum March 3, 2011

These 2 Christian musical performers brought their “2 Friends” tour to town last night and it may have been one of the best concerts that I have ever attended. I found myself a bit surprised at how much I was drawn into it all.  People stood, clapped, waved their arms in the air. I don’t really get into that sort of thing. The musical content rocked. It did seem like a rock concert at times, with strong guitar solos and exciting lighting. Then at other times, very meaningful and thought provoking songs. Both Amy and Smitty know how to interact well with the crowd. Speeches and jokes contributed to their stage presence. The show contained a great mixture of fast upbeat content, slower more meaningful content, and just verbal content.
   Memories and getting older were constant themes. Amy is now 50! They go back over 20 years. One on song, they both talk about how they both have kids now in college and how tough it is for parents to watch kids leave the nest.  Smitty told a joke that got a lot of laughs. It went something like ‘I was at a Nashville mall and found myself stalked by a little girl, maybe 12. She kept following me around so I finally stopped and asked her ‘Can I help you with something?’ And she replied ‘Aren’t you Michael W Smith?’ and he replied  ‘Yes, whats your name?’ and she said ‘my Grandma is your biggest fan!’ “ He mentioned how some people in attendance may have seen him or Amy in concert when they were kids, and how they now bring their kids to shows.
   They also both did a song dedicated to military families. It’s a song about being apart from those you love. Amy joked that although Michael is a “beautiful man, I don’t love him like that. Sort of like singing a love song with your brother” and she got some laughs.  Martina McBride used a similar joke when she sang one song live with her brother as duet partner because Keith Urban wasn’t there to sing it with her.
   They did 2 encore songs. When they returned to stage for those, Amy wore her trademark leopard spotted coat that she wore way back in her early days. Smitty also changed a bit. The last song was one about friends. Seemed to include that word a hundred times. I don’t know the actual song title.
   I tried taking some notes and writing down the set list, but as always that’s tough to do when its dark inside the theatre. They did not have a real program, and what the ushers gave out and called ‘programs’ were really ads for Smith’s future cruise. The concert lasted 3 hours and moved along at a fairly good pace. No shortage of content. We certainly got our money’s worth.! They did provide a 15 minute intermission, and just before they cut us loose for that, Amy, Michael, and Michael’s drummer gave  the sales pitch to get people to donate to something called Compassion, their charity thing to help people in other countries.
   The show started with both Amy & Smitty on stage. Amy just left of center. Smitty with his keyboard just right of center. The first part of the show included Amy songs, mostly old stuff, with Michael out there at the start, then he eventually left the stage. The first song was “Stay for a While” (I could be wrong on some song names). Second song was “Everywhere I go”. Amy told the crowd to get up and dance. She said to ‘dip and sway’. I stood, but I didn’t sway though 99% of the crowd did. I was NOT about to ‘dip’ though I am still unsure what that even was. Maybe the little downward motion some did at the end of the sway? I don’t know but people enjoyed the whole thing a lot. LOTS of crowd participation tonight in a theatre with few empty seats! Everybody was really into it all, singing along, standing at times, clapping, etc.
   The next 2 songs were “Love will find a way” and “Praise to the Lord”. Praise included a mean guitar solo. After the song, Amy introduced the guitar player that played it, one of 3 guitar players she had. His name = Pat Buchanan! I chuckled a bit and thought of some jokes involving political commentator Pat Buchanan. Amy would eventually introduce all of her band and her 2 backup singers. Two of the band have been with her since her early days, and her one backup singer is her now husband’s Vince Gill’s daughter.. She has a powerful voice.
   Smitty then left the stage and Amy did some of her solo stuff. A song possibly called “Laura” (this one had a speech with it), then “Baby Baby” had some people clapping, swaying, singing along, etc. Then she sang “Every heartbeat belongs to you”, “Better than a Halleluiah” , “arms of love” , “what about the love”, and then, while alone on stage, just with guitar, Amy sang “El Shaddai”. The band came back and she sang “We are Christians” or maybe its entitled “What can we do”?)
   I did have a problem all night long on song identification. I have an Amy cd or 2 and know some of her older stuff, but I clearly lack detailed knowledge of most of her music. In my younger days I used to watch our local Christian music tv station’s music video show called “Lightmusic” and learned a little about both Amy and Smitty’s music. But sadly that provided only a limited background on their work.
   Smitty came back out and they did a few songs. One was “Emmanuel” Then came the speeches about their charity work and their pitch to get donations. Then intermission. Crew started changing the stage while they talked, removing Amy’s band’s stuff and putting Michael’s stuff up there.
   The second act started with Smitty all alone with his keyboard, located dead center stage now. He started with a medley of old songs, starting with “My Place in this World” and included others I don’t know the names of. I thought to myself “Why do all those songs in a quick medley like that? “ But later I could see why. This show did have a LOT of content and would have lasted forever if he did the whole versions. He has 22 cds so that’s a LOT of material.
   Then he did an instrumental piece from his instrumental cd that was a showstopper. WOW! He said that he originally did that song in Dublin with a 65 piece orchestra, then he looked around on stage and being all alone, people laughed. He told us to imagine one, and that he would tell us when to do so. He made a motion like fiddle playing at the appropriate time and people laughed. As I left, I forgot to check the merchandise table for that cd. I may buy it from Amazon.
   He did a number of solo songs, as well as having Amy come out and join him on a few. I think some of the solos were called “Angels watching over me”, then “Faithless Heart”  Then he gave his speech about his daughter moving off to college at Pepperdine and how sad it was to see her leave. Amy came back out for that song about kids leaving the nest and said how choked up she gets singing it. (“How to say goodbye“) They did the song for the troops that I mentioned earlier. Then Amy exited stage and Smitty did more of his solo stuff, including “Secret Ambition”.
   Smitty did 2 more songs that I would call showstoppers. “Welcome Home” a song from his new cd “Wonder”, is a great one. About losing friends and death. This song reminded me a bit of Carrie Underwood’s “Temporary Home”. Then he sang “Majesty” and just left the whole crowd silent.
   Then Amy came back out for a song called “Heaven’s Rain,  They eventually did 2 encore songs together.
   Amy did a good job and put on a great show. But I must say that Smitty ruled this night. He had several show stopper type songs and had the crowd listening to his every word. He seems to be a bit of a paradox. He isn’t a very flashy kind of guy, but he really connects to the crowd with his stage presence, music, and humor,  and puts on a very entertaining and meaningful show!

Go see this show if you can!

Newspaper’s review can be found at http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11064/1129850-388stm

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
celticartzyangel
« Reply #497 on: March 05, 2011, 08:14PM »

Amy Grant & Michael W Smith  Pittsburgh - Benedum March 3, 2011

These 2 Christian musical performers brought their “2 Friends” tour to town last night and it may have been one of the best concerts that I have ever attended. I found myself a bit surprised at how much I was drawn into it all.  People stood, clapped, waved their arms in the air. I don’t really get into that sort of thing. The musical content rocked. It did seem like a rock concert at times, with strong guitar solos and exciting lighting. Then at other times, very meaningful and thought provoking songs. Both Amy and Smitty know how to interact well with the crowd. Speeches and jokes contributed to their stage presence. The show contained a great mixture of fast upbeat content, slower more meaningful content, and just verbal content.
   Memories and getting older were constant themes. Amy is now 50! They go back over 20 years. One on song, they both talk about how they both have kids now in college and how tough it is for parents to watch kids leave the nest.  Smitty told a joke that got a lot of laughs. It went something like ‘I was at a Nashville mall and found myself stalked by a little girl, maybe 12. She kept following me around so I finally stopped and asked her ‘Can I help you with something?’ And she replied ‘Aren’t you Michael W Smith?’ and he replied  ‘Yes, whats your name?’ and she said ‘my Grandma is your biggest fan!’ “ He mentioned how some people in attendance may have seen him or Amy in concert when they were kids, and how they now bring their kids to shows.
   They also both did a song dedicated to military families. It’s a song about being apart from those you love. Amy joked that although Michael is a “beautiful man, I don’t love him like that. Sort of like singing a love song with your brother” and she got some laughs.  Martina McBride used a similar joke when she sang one song live with her brother as duet partner because Keith Urban wasn’t there to sing it with her.
   They did 2 encore songs. When they returned to stage for those, Amy wore her trademark leopard spotted coat that she wore way back in her early days. Smitty also changed a bit. The last song was one about friends. Seemed to include that word a hundred times. I don’t know the actual song title.
   I tried taking some notes and writing down the set list, but as always that’s tough to do when its dark inside the theatre. They did not have a real program, and what the ushers gave out and called ‘programs’ were really ads for Smith’s future cruise. The concert lasted 3 hours and moved along at a fairly good pace. No shortage of content. We certainly got our money’s worth.! They did provide a 15 minute intermission, and just before they cut us loose for that, Amy, Michael, and Michael’s drummer gave  the sales pitch to get people to donate to something called Compassion, their charity thing to help people in other countries.
   The show started with both Amy & Smitty on stage. Amy just left of center. Smitty with his keyboard just right of center. The first part of the show included Amy songs, mostly old stuff, with Michael out there at the start, then he eventually left the stage. The first song was “Stay for a While” (I could be wrong on some song names). Second song was “Everywhere I go”. Amy told the crowd to get up and dance. She said to ‘dip and sway’. I stood, but I didn’t sway though 99% of the crowd did. I was NOT about to ‘dip’ though I am still unsure what that even was. Maybe the little downward motion some did at the end of the sway? I don’t know but people enjoyed the whole thing a lot. LOTS of crowd participation tonight in a theatre with few empty seats! Everybody was really into it all, singing along, standing at times, clapping, etc.
   The next 2 songs were “Love will find a way” and “Praise to the Lord”. Praise included a mean guitar solo. After the song, Amy introduced the guitar player that played it, one of 3 guitar players she had. His name = Pat Buchanan! I chuckled a bit and thought of some jokes involving political commentator Pat Buchanan. Amy would eventually introduce all of her band and her 2 backup singers. Two of the band have been with her since her early days, and her one backup singer is her now husband’s Vince Gill’s daughter.. She has a powerful voice.
   Smitty then left the stage and Amy did some of her solo stuff. A song possibly called “Laura” (this one had a speech with it), then “Baby Baby” had some people clapping, swaying, singing along, etc. Then she sang “Every heartbeat belongs to you”, “Better than a Halleluiah” , “arms of love” , “what about the love”, and then, while alone on stage, just with guitar, Amy sang “El Shaddai”. The band came back and she sang “We are Christians” or maybe its entitled “What can we do”?)
   I did have a problem all night long on song identification. I have an Amy cd or 2 and know some of her older stuff, but I clearly lack detailed knowledge of most of her music. In my younger days I used to watch our local Christian music tv station’s music video show called “Lightmusic” and learned a little about both Amy and Smitty’s music. But sadly that provided only a limited background on their work.
   Smitty came back out and they did a few songs. One was “Emmanuel” Then came the speeches about their charity work and their pitch to get donations. Then intermission. Crew started changing the stage while they talked, removing Amy’s band’s stuff and putting Michael’s stuff up there.
   The second act started with Smitty all alone with his keyboard, located dead center stage now. He started with a medley of old songs, starting with “My Place in this World” and included others I don’t know the names of. I thought to myself “Why do all those songs in a quick medley like that? “ But later I could see why. This show did have a LOT of content and would have lasted forever if he did the whole versions. He has 22 cds so that’s a LOT of material.
   Then he did an instrumental piece from his instrumental cd that was a showstopper. WOW! He said that he originally did that song in Dublin with a 65 piece orchestra, then he looked around on stage and being all alone, people laughed. He told us to imagine one, and that he would tell us when to do so. He made a motion like fiddle playing at the appropriate time and people laughed. As I left, I forgot to check the merchandise table for that cd. I may buy it from Amazon.
   He did a number of solo songs, as well as having Amy come out and join him on a few. I think some of the solos were called “Angels watching over me”, then “Faithless Heart”  Then he gave his speech about his daughter moving off to college at Pepperdine and how sad it was to see her leave. Amy came back out for that song about kids leaving the nest and said how choked up she gets singing it. (“How to say goodbye“) They did the song for the troops that I mentioned earlier. Then Amy exited stage and Smitty did more of his solo stuff, including “Secret Ambition”.
   Smitty did 2 more songs that I would call showstoppers. “Welcome Home” a song from his new cd “Wonder”, is a great one. About losing friends and death. This song reminded me a bit of Carrie Underwood’s “Temporary Home”. Then he sang “Majesty” and just left the whole crowd silent.
   Then Amy came back out for a song called “Heaven’s Rain,  They eventually did 2 encore songs together.
   Amy did a good job and put on a great show. But I must say that Smitty ruled this night. He had several show stopper type songs and had the crowd listening to his every word. He seems to be a bit of a paradox. He isn’t a very flashy kind of guy, but he really connects to the crowd with his stage presence, music, and humor,  and puts on a very entertaining and meaningful show!

Go see this show if you can!

Newspaper’s review can be found at http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11064/1129850-388stm

Michael W. Smith happens to be one of my mom's favorite artists, I pratically grew up with his music playing all the time, and hs music is linked to alot of memories of mine!! I hope I can get to one of his shows, we have one on VHS and he's just phenomenal, Amy Grant is really cool too!
CelticWomanAddict
Total Fanatic

You'll Never Walk Alone

« Reply #498 on: March 06, 2011, 12:29AM »

I love both amy grant and Michael W Smith

Sorgi

« Reply #499 on: March 07, 2011, 08:48PM »

Random surfing on YouTube reminded me of Lothlorien.  I think they've been around since the mid 90's, came across them about 10 or 11 years ago (again by random) and the sound stuck with me.   Probably what kindled an interest that never let go. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T92Er46xkCo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ss0ooGNExQ&feature=related

-Dan

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #500 on: March 10, 2011, 02:38PM »

The incredible Tommy Fleming - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzoKoy-o7XY

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #501 on: March 10, 2011, 06:54PM »

Frankie Laine:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-HRbsejTyw
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #502 on: March 11, 2011, 01:53PM »

Altan  Byham Pittsburgh March 10, 2011

The Irish group Altan came to town and brought the rains of Ireland with them!  The weather report called for the rain to change to snow and eventually drop 3-6 inches of the white stuff by some time the following day, which was a Friday. Then of course our large St Patrick’s Day parade scheduled for that Saturday. Seems we often get snow close to parade time. We have also had a lot of flooding here. Rivers continue to rise with all the rain and snow. When the snow melts next week, the flooding will get worse. But at least the rain didn’t change over to snow until well after the show ended. I was a bit concerned that if the temps dropped that night, I might be coming home on freezing sidewalks and roads.
   Potholes are another problem. As I took my short bus trip to the Byham, the driver slowed to a near stop at this one point. I wondered why, until I felt the “boom” as the front wheels hit the HUGE hole. Then the back wheels produced another “boom” as the bus shook. The driver laughed and said “that’s a BIG one!”
   So I get to the venue and get to my seat. Second row right, on the aisle though. Only a few seats to my right, then the wall. The actual front row right, as well as front row left, were empty. It appeared that those seats were not sold, possibly  because large speakers were positioned close. So in substance I was front row right. Had an excellent view of the stage. With speakers so close though, I thought that I might get blown away with the sound. But that didn’t happen.  Other seats were also empty. Ones WAY up in back seemed to be unsold, while others up front went empty probably because some people were scared off by the bad weather forecast. Still had a decent sized crowd though.
   The group entered the stage and took their positions. The one guitar guy was sitting on stage right in front of me, not to far away at all. Then the one fiddle / whistle guy was just left of him, but back several feet. Then the group’s lady fiddler / vocalist was left of him, and back a bit more. The accordian player sat left of her, but closer to the front of the stage. Then the other guitar guy stood left of him, on the far left of the stage, but a few feet closer to the crowd. So the 5 group members positioned themselves in an arc kind of formation, with the guitar guys on the ends close to the edge of the stage, and the lady fiddler / vocalist in the center, farthest away from the stage edge.
   Mairead, the lady fiddler / vocalist, wore a black dress that had a dark red pattern on part of it. Plus she had bracelets on each arm and some type of necklace. She looked very classy and attractive. The 4 men all wore a sort of gray-green shirt. They clearly wanted a look of uniformity.
   All 5 of them had some type of speaker thing positioned in front of them. But before the show started, some stage guy came out and inspected those things. They had foot peddles that, when toggled, appeared to switch lights or some type of screen. Not sure what those things were, maybe some type of tv screen with the music on them? Or speakers so the musicians could hear what they were doing?
   The group performed many songs with upbeat, energetic fiddle parts. The crowd though seemed a bit quiet. That did not surprise me, as it was a performing arts type of crowd. If this band were to play their music at a festival with a party type crowd, esp. if the crowd had a few drinks in them, it would be a real hoot-n-annie. There was a little bit of clapping along. I clearly heard the “stomp stomp stomp” of toe tapping feet at times. We were prompted to clap at times, but it didn’t last long. We were also prompted to dance, but only a few did that. Everyone did get up for a nice standing O at the end.
   The vocal pieces were sung in Gaelic. So I am clueless on names of songs or lyrics. The band did give names and explain a bit about the history of some of the songs. I didn’t take notes though, and the program they handed out did not provide a set list. The program was one of those  theatre free ones that provided only minimal info about the group.
   Celtic Woman fans would certainly associate a blonde fiddler named Mairead with Mairead Nesbitt. But Altan’s Mairead made me think more about Orla Fallon. It’s the combination of her voice and the traditional Irish songs. Plus, she didn’t dance as she fiddled.
   The group did a nice job interacting with the crowd. Many jokes and laughs. Perhaps a few too many “we brought rain with us from Ireland” type jokes, but those seem somewhat obligatory when Irish and rain arrive in town together. They did do a signing after the show.
   It ended up being a very nice evening. This is a very talented group.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
MaryNorth93
« Reply #503 on: March 11, 2011, 03:54PM »

The incredible Tommy Fleming - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzoKoy-o7XY

I love Tommy! It's great that he teamed up with Órlagh for her cd. Such a passionate and strong voice.
LISAFAN4EVER
Choir Member

Lisa's my hero!

« Reply #504 on: March 11, 2011, 05:39PM »

Frankie Laine and Doris Day with How Lovely Cooks The Meat..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v-6LRGVvus  Cheesy

Also, just listened to The High King's Memory Lane CD. It's fantastic.

TheWhite~Rose
« Reply #505 on: March 22, 2011, 12:49PM »

Jillian Aversa is a singer worth listening to: http://jillianaversa.com/
Anyone who's really into video games might know her as she's provided some vocals for their soundtracks.  However, she's also done a lot of original work.  Check out her 'Origins' CD.  I really like her. Smiley
LISAFAN4EVER
Choir Member

Lisa's my hero!

« Reply #506 on: March 23, 2011, 04:40PM »

I recently learned about an incredible flutist, Laura Stincer.  She's brand new to the music world as an artist.  Love her music.  Her website has clips, and she's also on youtube, facebook, and twitter.  Here's her website: http://laurastincer.com
I also recently came across Laura Stincer and her music is beautiful. Her CD, Sacrifice of Love, is available as an MP3 download on Amazon or as a hard copy thru her website. She also has a MySpace page.

Inga
« Reply #507 on: April 08, 2011, 09:43AM »

For David Garrett fans & friends:

On Dancing with the Stars on April 11th and April 12th with orchestra and band.

And on LIVE! With Regis & Kelly on April 13th.
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #508 on: April 08, 2011, 11:47AM »

Tarja ex singer for Nightwish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GufDgFq54TY&feature=related
LISAFAN4EVER
Choir Member

Lisa's my hero!

« Reply #509 on: April 10, 2011, 03:44PM »

Laura Stincer's "New Found Freedom": http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/8085747

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: