Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Artists  (Read 482551 times)
Cherany

« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2007, 01:56PM »

Ah, so this thread is where I should've been all along.  I asked for recommendations on another thread before seeing this one, but it looks like there are many more suggestions here.  I will have to find some time to check out some of these artists.

The one recommendation I give to everyone is Josh Groban.  Words cannot describe how amazing he is (except when sang by him).  Smiley

SusanZ
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2007, 02:02PM »

I have really gotten into listening to Loreena McKennitt lately! Never heard of her before Celtic Woman and joining the forum. Now I am hooked! What a fantastic songwriter/performer. Her voice is mezmerizing.

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Cherany

« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2007, 09:07AM »

I have really gotten into listening to Loreena McKennitt lately!

The really funny thing about that is that I've been listening to her for a while, thinking I was listening to a song sang by Orla.   Shocked

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2007, 12:50PM »

Maverick Magazine has done a terrific article on Luan Parle - http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2349/1774237697_2d8717b9a6_b.jpg.  (Maverick is one of Europe's most prestigious Country / Roots Magazines.)

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2007, 07:31PM »

MySpace update from Amy Rivard:

Hi Everyone,

I know, I know you haven't heard from me in a while! Sorry mom and dad, I will call home soon! I have been extremely busy and cannot respond to all of your wonderful emails of support. Therefore, I just wanted to send out a quick bulletin to thank all of you for your support and kind words. It really means a lot to me. I will post another bulletin sometime near Christmas and let you know how things are going. Although, I haven't been writing emails much these days, the good news is I have been writing lots of new songs and hope to record a new album sometime next year!
All the best!
Amy

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2007, 01:36PM »

Marina V has posted news and a video blog at http://www.myspace.com/MarinaV.

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2007, 10:04PM »

Rich - Thanks for the Amy update.  I am a big Moody Blues fan; have many cd's and dvd's.  They were #1 for me until CW came along.  Another singer I like is Dido.  Her video of "White Flag" was on youtube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-fWDrZSiZs)   Like the CW ladies, she is also very beautiful and can sing!  Loreena McKennitt and Enya are great, too, as others have said.  I like a lot of Elton John's songs, but not all.  Of course, The Beatles, Arnold Dorsey (anyone know his stage name?), and several others are on my list, too.  Oh, yeah, almost forgot the Carpenters.  I could go on for hours with names.  There are many good ones out there.  Some are "one hit wonders" but none have grabbed me like the ladies of CW.  I'm glad I found them!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:06AM by Jim M. » Logged
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2007, 10:10PM »

Another singer I like is Dido.  Her video of "White Flag" was on youtube.  Like the CW ladies, she is also very beautiful and can sing! 

I have her cds and she does have a great voice!

Thanks Lindsey
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2007, 10:13PM »

Arnold Dorsey
Engelbert!

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2007, 10:36PM »

Right you are, Rich!  I will send the prize patrol to your house!
melle mel

« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2007, 11:06PM »

I mentioned Sigur Ros many times here, but I can't express enough love for this band and probably go-on about them for hours.

They just a double-EP "Harvf-Heim" and like all of their previous records, it is epic, stunning, and beautiful. It is a companion CD to their new and first-ever concert film DVD, "Heima", due on 11/20 in the US. The film chronicles the band's concert performances in their native Iceland, and from the reviews it has been already been deemed one of the best music films ever produced.

Solid five-stars across the board. Go check them out.

Sigur Ros' MySpace
Official site
Heima film trailer
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2007, 11:22PM »

Many of our young members may never have listened to some of the greats -
Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Frankie Laine (heard him on the radio yesterday), Dean Martin, Steve Lawrence, Jack Jones, Mel Torme, Robert Goulet (r.i.p.) and many others.
Rosemary Clooney (George's aunt), Doris Day, Peggy Lee, and many other ladies, also.

If you don't know who these people are/were, you owe it to yourself to find some of their songs and see what you think.

Bet you all think I'm really OLD, now.
ferngully
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2007, 06:22AM »

lucky for me, i know half of those people. and like them Tongue *sinatra and lee especially*
Inga
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2007, 01:49AM »

Helen Sjöholm from Sweden

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ridUqEFixQ0&feature=related
Maggie
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2007, 02:52PM »

His real name was Arnold George Dorsey, but he changed it to Gerry Dorsey, that was the name he was know by when he first started singing in England.

I met him when he was on the same circuit as my brother, singing in the clubs of Yorkshire and the Manchester area.
Both he and my brother were conscripted into the British Military at the same time.

When Gerry Dorsey came back on the Club Circuit, he got ill with TB.
Then he changed his image, and his name to Englebert Humperdinck.

Even though my brother Peter Ryan (aka onstage as Peter King) was a far better singer, (totally biased view by a loyal sister!) it was Dorsey who got the breaks, and the rest is history.

We were in total disbelief as his voice is not that great, and his personality, in his early days at least, was non-existent. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: