Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Siuil a Ruin  (Read 13629 times)
L.A. Girl

« on: March 31, 2007, 07:50PM »

I would love to hear Orla sing the entire version of Siuil a ruin like Moya Brennan does. Have any of you ever heard her sing the entire song? I know that she would do a fantastic job!

Dianne
Sassy

Ni Caoim

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 02:56AM »

This is a bit off topic, but not much.  I typed in Maire Brennan to see if I could find a version of her singing the entire song on You Tube.  Couldn't find it, so I thought I'd try typing in Clannad to find it instead.  What I got when I clicked on the Clannad Siuil A Run was some young lady singing it a cappella and she's pretty darn good and sings a long version of it. 

Thought others might enjoy hearing it too!  I normally don't listen to amateurs singing on You Tube, but this one caught my attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N558g38XbeM
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 03:10AM by Sassy » Logged
L.A. Girl

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 04:14PM »

Sassy,

Maire Ni Bhrennain sings the entire song on the Clannad "Dulaman" CD. Next to Orla's version, I  like hers the best.  Thanks for the link, however.

Dianne Smiley
Stu Mostinsky
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 07:54PM »

I have several versions of "Siuil a Run" and I personally prefer the version that Órlagh sings on her solo cd "The Water is Wide"  She does a fantastic job on that song whether it be her solo effort or with CW.
Kelsey

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 06:15PM »

I think that Siuil a Ruin is a beautiful and haunting song.  Orlagh's voice is so different from anything I've ever heard-her voice seems very Irish and magical. 

Kelsey

CWFan2
Total Fanatic

Love You Always Lisa!!

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 11:12AM »

I too am in love with Orla's voice. It is indeed a hauntingly beautiful voice. Needless to say, every single one of the CW ladies possesses an incredibly beautiful voice, beyond what I had ever imagined possible in fact. But, it may be in fact Orla's voice which tugs at my own heart strings the most. So soft and so smooth and yes, so magical.

Peace to all ... Bill

Still And Forever ... Our Angel From Heaven
Texas Chava

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 05:32PM »

There was an hour long program on TG4 Online (Gaelic televison) that had a wonderful showing of Clannad's recent reunion concert in Glasgow.  They did Siuil A Run and many others.  They don't have a full length version of Moya singing Siuil A Run, but you can see Harry's Game on You Tube at the recent Metoyer Awards.  They are great.  I really don't know if I lilke Moya's or Orla's versions better.  I'd love to hear them sing together.

Also, on The Water is Wide, Orla sings all the verses of Siuil A Run.

Banner by Scott
Celtic_Kit

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 09:12PM »

So does anyone have the lyrics to the full song? I have only heard Orlagh's version.

Kit
Texas Chava

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 05:08AM »

Do a search and look for Siuil A Run lyrics by Clannad.  You will get all the verses.

Banner by Scott
Western_Rose
Total Fanatic

A Dark Haired Girl

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 01:43PM »

Also, on The Water is Wide, Orla sings all the verses of Siuil A Run.

Actually I believe there is a verse missing on her version.

But now my love has gone to France
To try his fortune to advance
If he e'er comes back, 'tis but a chance   
Is go dté tú mo mhúirnín slán

"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord all the earth" Psalm 100:1
Sassy

Ni Caoim

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 05:45PM »

http://www.geocities.com/celticlyricscorner/songlist.htm

Click on the S - you'll see 5 different entries for the song.

Anuna
Clannad
2 from Orlagh
Mary Black
Texas Chava

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 05:11PM »

If you ever get a chance to see the video of Michael Flatley's "Lord of the Dance", there is a singer who does Siuil A Run.

I also listen to AccuRadio/Radio Celt at school and I don't know how many different version so Siuil A Run I've heard.  It appears to be a very very popular traditional song.  I still love Orlagh's and Moya's the best!

Banner by Scott
ferngully
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 03:33AM »

i like her album version best i think
rodzilla

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 10:46PM »

When I saw her perform it live on tour...her voice was truly haunting...I also loved how she moved her arms when she performed it...it showed her enthusiasm for performing it.

"Nil Se'n La"--Seize the Day!
Starrgurl

All the things she said running through my head...

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 06:49PM »

I love Siul a Ruin too! But does anyone know what the gaelic lyrics mean?

If we all will dare to dream dreams
Of a new and brighter day
If we work to make them come true
We will surely find a way
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: