Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Sweetheart" 1911 grips.  (Read 9231 times)
RickOShea

« on: November 10, 2011, 02:44PM »

I had these custom 1911 pistol grips made awhile back. I've been a little leery about posting pics of them, because I'm not sure what type of responses I'll get.

But they turned out very nice. So I figure "what the heck", let the chips fall where they may.

The fellow who made them is in Istanbul, Turkey. I found his work while researching WWII  "sweetheart" grips that G.I.s would make out of pieces of clear plexiglass from aircraft windows and canopies.

Some original WWII sweetheart grips.

They turned out so well, I might see about having a set made for each the CW ladies. Cool
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:11PM by RickOShea » Logged
Hannahlmatt
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 02:52PM »

Nice! Cheesy

aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 02:53PM »

Well hmmmm. Those may be the most interesting CW thing ever posted to the forum. They did come out rather nicely though, I must say. Do you actually have a gun to go with them or did you just want them for the art?

aislin
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:36PM by aislin » Logged
RickOShea

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 03:09PM »

Yeah, I kinda collect 1911s. But these are too nice for shooters. I'll have to put them on a couple of my "safe queens".
greenfire6
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 11:51AM »

These are amazing! I've heard of sweetheart grips but never saw any until I stumbled into this topic. Lisa and Máiréad are lookin' good!

I also had no idea the originals looked this good. There seems to be no limit to mankind's ability to create art.

Off topic: Did this art form start during WWII or does it go back further? I have a Colt 45 DA, with holster, that my departed grandfather carried in WWI*. Of course it's a safe queen and would be even if they still made commercially available ammo for it, which they don't. (Yes, I do have the little "C" clips for using 45 ACP... but that is so wrong!)

If correct to history I could consider having a set made with my departed grandmother's youthful image.  Wink

*US Army teamster, Panama Canal Zone.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:30PM by greenfire6 » Logged
RickOShea

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 10:39PM »

As far as I know, the sweetheart grips originated in WWII. The G.I.s would carve tem out of plexiglass which, IIRC, wasn't a material available in WWI.

If yours is a M1917 Colt, it might be possible for a custom grip maker to make a set. But most of the revolver types they list are the Victorian-era single-actions or modern DA S&Ws and Rugers.
hayleynibhaoleafh<3'scelticwoman!
Honorary Roadie

U can have my <3, if U don't mind broken things...

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 05:21PM »

That's pretty cool! Smiley

Loooooove Hayley xxx
~~~~~~~Maybe it's not about the happy endings... maybe it's about the story...~~~~~~
Friend are angels ~*~ Cherish them
RoAR
Honorary Roadie

It's far beyond the stars...

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 11:52PM »

Cool!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: