Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Trip home..  (Read 8745 times)
Magic~5

CELTIC WOMAN + MUSIC = love for a lifetime!!!!!!!!

« on: December 22, 2011, 12:24AM »

Hi all, 
Would there be a way of knowing if the Ladies got home okay?    The weather the last 7 days has not been helpful for
flights or for driving.   Just wondering so that everyone got home safe for the holidays and spend time with family.
(WHICH THEY ALL DESERVE)

that would be My Christmas wish for the rest of this month.   

Magic~5       Happy Holidays
 Cheesy
bobh56
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 01:34PM »

According to several of their "tweets", it sounds like the Ladies flew out of Denver last night after the Concert.  That was very smart because Denver got 12+ inches of snow last night and this morning.

Unfortunately, I wasn't that lucky.  My flight back to New York was delayed an hour because of the weather.  Now, we're still sitting at the gate for at least another hour waiting for a "FAA mandated" trash bin (whatever that is).

Here's hoping the Ladies and my Fellow Forumites have more success with your Holiday travel plans.  More importantly, I'd like to wish you all a happy and safe Holiday Season and New Year.

Be well,

Bob

P.S.  Last night's Concert was fantastic; I hope to provide more on that later.
LISAFAN4EVER
Choir Member

Lisa's my hero!

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 04:36PM »

Lisa K. is home. According to Mairead, she went from Denver to Boston & then will be heading to Ireland from Boston.

IloveyouSarahBurke!! <3
Choir Member

When You Believe~ Chloe:"that was for you" 5/15/15

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 06:08PM »

Lisa Kelly is home with her family.  She posted on her FB status that she's home "safe and sound and in the arms of those she loves."

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lisa-Kelly-Singer/137984096246027
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 06:10PM by IloveyouSarahBurke!! <3 » Logged

Thanks Scott! 
I MET CHLOE (6X),LIL' LAMBE (4X)MAIREAD NESBITT(6X)AND SUSAN(6X) MAIREAD CARLIN(4X) ALEX SHARPE,and EABHA!!!!!!!!!!
MarcusWongAUS
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 06:56PM »

Lisa Kelly and Mairead went home first. Lisa Lambe and Chloe stayed back in Denver overnight.

26/6/10 Westfield Penrith
23/10/10 Sydney Entertainment Centre
21/12/11 Boettcher Concert Hall
18/8/12 Macquarie Centre
17/1/14 Sydney Entertainment Centre
9/2/18 Darling Harbour Theatre
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 07:42PM »

Sounds like our forum here was well-represented at the Denver Christmas show!  Please all of you post some of your experiences and impressions for us here!  Smiley

MarcusWongAUS
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 07:51PM »

They cut "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas", "Don Oiche Ud I Mbeithil" and "Spanish Lady" but overall it was awesome. The audience was a bit quiet in general. I was further back (Row T-best seats I could get) and I noticed (as did the girls) that the front row was definitely louder and more spirited. Some of the audience didn't show up (I'm assuming because of the weather). Well worth the trip from Australia to see if that gives a hint.

Overall the concert was impossible to describe in a few words. I'll probably add a full review later (more about the actual songs as opposed to the audience.)

18/8/12 Macquarie Centre
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 09:48PM »

Thanks Marc!  Having seen the show in Pittsburgh, I was more interested in the info you posted about the Denver show specifically!  Did you tell Lisa L and Chloe that you had come all the way from Australia?  If, what was their reaction?  Smiley

MarcusWongAUS
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 10:41PM »

They were quite surprised. Chloë then realised we'd met before (last year), because she couldn't quite place me. I'm hoping next year they'll be back in Australia.

Well the Denver audience was quite subdued for most of the time but at some points they did get involved for example when Lisa L introduced Auld Lang Syne as being Scottish there were quite a few cheers. The front row was the liveliest but there were other members of the audience who were just as active but more spread out. The woman sitting next to me didn't join in very much. The reaction to Green The Whole Year 'Round was pretty decent. The audience gave half standing ovations to O Holy Night and Ave Maria but You Raise Me Up onwards was better received, everyone standing for YRMU, OCAYF and LIS.

At some points the girls voices got too loud for the speaker to handle and I thought I heard some crackling. (Chloë did say they only had a fifteen minute soundcheck.) The orchestra did overpower the girls voices at some points but overall it was pretty good. The girls themselves were their usual fantastic selves and showed no signs of exhaustion (especially Mairead).

I have a feeling we're getting off topic now. So back to the point, Chloe and Lisa L stayed behind last night while Lisa K and Mairead left earlier.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:03PM by MarcusWongAUS » Logged

18/8/12 Macquarie Centre
Magic~5

CELTIC WOMAN + MUSIC = love for a lifetime!!!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 11:36PM »

quick thanks to those who found out about the Ladies.     I am happy now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Cheesy   

Happy Christmas and Happy Holidays to every one here at the Forum!!

Magic~5
David Knisely

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 05:09AM »

Sounds like our forum here was well-represented at the Denver Christmas show!  Please all of you post some of your experiences and impressions for us here!  Smiley

Yup, there were probably a lot of forum people (I should have worn a "Fiddler Crossing" patch on my coat).  I saw several first-row audience members with Santa hats and cards for Lisa K.  One major problem that raised uncertainty in the hours before the performance was a rapidly developing major winter storm which probably scared a lot of people away.  I had driven in from Nebraska under clear skies for almost the entire 8-hour 480 mile drive only to be greeted as I approached Denver by the low clouds which I recognized as the precursors to a lot of snow.  I had a late lunch and checked into my hotel room (Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown) in the afternoon.  I quickly got on-line and checked the weather service and the local TV stations.  The news wasn't good, as the National Weather Service had issued a Winter Storm Warning.  They were predicting a major snowfall event (six to 12 inches) with wind for the night and into the following day, so it definitely had an affect on attendance (the seat next to me was vacant during the performance despite the show being sold out).   After a short nap, I left the hotel and walked the 0.9 miles to the performance hall (a very easy walk for me, as for exercise, I usually walk four miles per day five days a week to get to work).  It was a very pleasant walk through a few crowds of Christmas shoppers under light snow (kind of reminded me of the lyrics to the song "Silver Bells"), so it didn't look that bad to me.  Denver at night is very pretty, and the snow just added to the Christmas feeling.  I too got to the performance hall well ahead of time, so I picked up a big chocolate chip cookie from the vendors and a copy of the Symphony Tour program and settled down to wait for the ushers to open the doors to the interior of the Boettcher Concert Hall.

I had waited until the last minute to get my ticket, so I was seated way up in the towering "Ring-4" high above the stage (almost at the ceiling of the hall).  All I can say is that the uppermost ring is *not* a great place to hear a concert, although it isn't exactly awful either.  There were times when I couldn't catch quite all of Chloe's or Lisa's (both) words when they were speaking to the audience, so the acoustics of the hall up-high aren't the best (I probably have gotten a little spoiled by the wonderful acoustics of the Great Hall at Washington Pavilion in Sioux Falls where I have heard Celtic Woman perform twice).  The girls all used hand mics and Lisa Kelly generated a little howl of feedback when she exited the stage past David Downes' piano and its live mic (take THAT you lip-syncing claim makers!).  Sometimes I think the girls didn't talk into the mics all that loudly because they were afraid that they might get a little overloaded by the audio.  We couldn't stand up much for the standing ovations, as right in front of us was probably at least a 60 foot drop to the floor of the hall!  I had picked up a small pair of binoculars for the concert and I used them quite a bit to get a close up look at the performer's faces.  The binoculars did come in handy, as they revealed that David was wearing a pair of brown horn-rim glasses (didn't know he wore glasses at all).  Next time (if they come back to Boettcher Hall), I will definitely make sure to get a seat that is lower down.

Overall, the concert was great.  The girls were fantastic as always.  I just about jumped out of my seat when Lisa K. started "The Christmas Song", as that was the one piece I really hoped they would do.  Lisa absolutely nailed it!  Lisa L's wonderful rendition of "Away in a Manger" was definitely different from the older Celtic Woman treatment, and she continues to put her own unique style into songs.   Mairead's starting "Shenandoah" was a bit unexpected, as it wasn't listed in the  program, but when she stomped on the stage floor twice as she just about finished it, I knew that she would soon enter her "reel" mode.  Sure enough, here came our hand-held drum player marching out on-stage and the crowd immediately got into it as Mairead just about sawed "her baby" in half with what sounded like at least a part of "The Contradiction".   When she did "Granuaile's Dance", she didn't fly across the stage as much as at other venues, but she did her usual nine "spins" while playing (wonder if she just explodes if she does more than nine? Smiley ).  Hearing Chloe do "Ave Maria" was stunning, and again, I had to stand and applaud hard despite the risk of falling overboard.

They did do "You Raise Me Up" at the end, perhaps for the last time to let Lisa do her usual "Thank You very much, you've been a wonderful audience".  That one got the loudest ovation, other than for the encore of "Let It Snow".  And YES, this time, Mairead did whisper "let it snow" at the end!  The one little problem I had with the concert (other than the weather) was the Colorado Symphony Orchestra itself.  Most of the time, they were fine, but occasionally they just didn't seem to quite be together for some reason.  I don't know if they didn't get in any practice time for the Celtic Woman arrangements, but sometimes things just didn't seem to go quite right.  This was most apparent during "Let It Snow", as the trumpet player missed the highest notes twice, almost ruining that part of the song.   Still, it was nice to hear Celtic Woman with the full backing of an orchestra, as it definitely gave a different feel to many of the songs.

I got back to my hotel with the snow picking up a bit, but woke the next morning to EIGHT INCHES of the stuff.  The Denver Airport remained open, but things were delayed, so I don't know if any of the CW company got stuck in the city for an extra day.  I managed to get home, but it took me over an hour of white-knuckle driving just to get out of Denver in the snow and ice and back onto the Interstate.  Still, Denver does a good job in their snow clearing, as at home, eight inches would bring my little town to a complete standstill.  Hopefully if Celtic Woman visits Denver again, it will be under better weather conditions.             
MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 10:31PM »

Nice review, David! I'm glad the snow wasn't enough to keep you away and that you had a good time!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: