Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For The Birds...Literally  (Read 32376 times)
bobh56
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 07:22PM »

In early April, I found a robin's nest under my front porch, which had to be from last year because, at that point, the robins had not returned to my area of northern Vermont.  To my surprise (because of all the predators up here) the nest still had an unhatched egg and one that had hatched.  I guess they like my front porch because they're back there again this year.  Also, I have another robin's nest, complete with at least one hatchling in my wood shed.  

Speaking of predators, last Saturday, I saw a red fox carting off one of the ruffed grouse that live on my property.  The grouse was almost as big as the fox, so I'm sure the fox family dined well that night.  BTW, although they take the occasional grouse, I like to have the foxes around because:  1) they're beautiful animals; and 2) they help keep other less desireable species (e.g., raccoons, groundhogs, and skunks) under control.

I'm very pleased to see the hummingbirds have returned.  I had them around last year when the hostas were in bloom, and was concerned that I wouldn't see them again until the hostas bloomed this year - in another 4 - 6 weeks.  But, the hummers have taken a shine to the fuchsias I have hanging on my front porch, so (hopefully) they'll be around for the entire summer.    
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 08:08PM by bobh56 » Logged
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2012, 06:29PM »

Hey thanks... Wink   

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 06:08PM »

I walk to work on Saturdays because of the different bus schedule.  The last few weeks there have been a "murder of crows"  (yes...that's what a group of these birds  are called )  who looked liked they wanted to target me as I passed them bye.  They are always in the same spot on the road. They are so raucous and aggressive looking.  I thought they were trying to live up to their group name!  I have just kept a low profile and so far it has been okay. But I have heard of crows "dive-bombing people before.    Roll Eyes   

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2012, 03:17PM »

Hey...Thanks for the link.  Smiley  I had not heard of this bird before. The link provides some interesting info. That sure is a good size brood  "mama"  is leading about.

Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2012, 05:23PM »

my neighbors niece from Ireland  is visiting and saw the squirrels and blue jays on my deck and thought they were LOOOOOOVELY...she talks like Chloe...I `m completelely ENCHANTED!  I loooooove girls with accents!!!  Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2012, 05:35PM »

my neighbors niece from Ireland  is visiting and saw the squirrels and blue jays on my deck and thought they were LOOOOOOVELY...she talks like Chloe...I `m completelely ENCHANTED!  I loooooove girls with accents!!!  Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss
   Maybe if a mockingbird comes into your neighborhood, you can teach it an Irish accent.  Wink   

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 07:23PM »

Wow...she is one busy mama!    Grin    I'm glad they are wily and elusive.

Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2012, 06:11AM »

my neighbor`s niece from Ireland was here this past weekend. She came over to use my computer and saw the squirrels and blue jays. Apparently they don`t have jays in County Langford and Diane thought they were " quite looooovely" in her Chloe accent.  Wink  " ahnd what are they, then???  jays???  the cooooolor is soooo looooovely"
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:21AM by Kevin R.I. » Logged

thanks EVI

Love, Evi.
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 06:30PM »

my neighbor`s niece from Ireland was here this past weekend. She came over to use my computer and saw the squirrels and blue jays. Apparently they don`t have jays in County Langford and Diane thought they were " quite looooovely" in her Chloe accent.  Wink  " ahnd what are they, then???  jays???  the cooooolor is soooo looooovely"
  Did she say what kind of birds they DO  have in Ireland?    Undecided   

Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2012, 05:15AM »

well, we know they have songbirds  Roll Eyes

thanks EVI

Love, Evi.
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2012, 07:21PM »

...and so many varieties- blond, redheaded, brunette, brown....etc.   Grin   

Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2012, 03:56PM »

...and so many varieties- blond, redheaded, brunette, brown....etc.   Grin   
I have to agree with that!!!!!look , there`s a blonde headed fiddler!

thanks EVI

Love, Evi.
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2012, 04:28PM »

Otherwise known as the  "Pileated Pixie"     Cheesy 

Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 05:52AM »

is that a ruby throated Irish worbbler???

thanks EVI

Love, Evi.
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2012, 05:08PM »

Nice shot.  Smiley  I wonder how widespread these birds are?   Undecided

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: