Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question About "Galway Bay"  (Read 7321 times)
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« on: June 17, 2012, 05:07PM »

There is much about Irish history I don't know.  In  SFTH, in which Chloe sings "Galway Bay", there is a reference to  "the strangers who scorned us just for being what we are". So just  WHO  are these strangers that the song is referring to? 

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 05:07PM »

For that matter,  what are  "praties"  ? 

TheWhite~Rose
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 05:55PM »

There is much about Irish history I don't know.  In  SFTH, in which Chloe sings "Galway Bay", there is a reference to  "the strangers who scorned us just for being what we are". So just  WHO  are these strangers that the song is referring to?  
The strangers are the English.  I'll admit that I don't know all the details, but I do know that the English were in control of Ireland for a very long time before they achieved independance (I want to say it started around the reign of Henry VIII).  They basically forbid the Irish to be...well, Irish.  They weren't allowed to speak their language, practice their religion (Ireland was Catholic, England was Protestant), and many other things for fear of persecution.  Those are of course just the basics of the situtation.  Someone else could probably do a much better job at explaining it than I. Cheesy  Having that knowledge though makes the song much more powerful to listen to, hence why it is one of my favorite Celtic Woman songs. Smiley

EDIT: After searching around on the forum (others have asked the same question Wink ), "praties" are what the Irish call potatoes. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:58AM by Tuatha Dé Danann » Logged
greenfire6
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 06:19PM »

LOL! The Praties is a Trad Irish band based in Los Angeles, California.  Wink http://thepraties.com/

Just kidding... praties is slang for potatos.  Cheesy

I think Tuatha Dé Danann is right... the strangers that scorned must have been the English. But I'm not sure.

I don't think the strangers that scorned would be the Spanish. For centuries Spanish merchant and fishing ships made port calls along the west coast of Ireland. I believe, for the most part these were friendly port calls. These Spanish sailors influenced the Irish culture in ports like Galway and Sligo in some positive ways that can be seen today.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 06:23PM by greenfire6 » Logged
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 06:31PM »

There is much about Irish history I don't know.  In  SFTH, in which Chloe sings "Galway Bay", there is a reference to  "the strangers who scorned us just for being what we are". So just  WHO  are these strangers that the song is referring to?  
The strangers are the English.  I'll admit that I don't know all the details, but I do know that the English were in control of Ireland for a very long time before they achieved independance (I want to say it started around the reign of Henry VIII).  They basically forbid the Irish to be...well, Irish.  They weren't allowed to speak their language, practice their religion (Ireland was Catholic, England was Protestant), and many other things without fear of persecution.  Those are of course just the basics of the situation.  Someone could probably do a much better job at explaining it than I am. Cheesy  Having that knowledge though makes the song much more powerful to listen to, hence why it is one of my favorite Celtic Woman songs. Smiley   Thank you... Smiley Smiley Smiley   That makes a lot of sense and explains a lot of things.  I too, like songs that refer to history. This is why I also like "Isle Of Hope And Tears" as well.  And it DOES help to know more about what is being sung to better appreciate it.  Thanks again... Wink  I DO know that this song has been  performed by a number of famous people-not the least of which is the late great Bing Crosby himself.   (off topic side note....Lisa K. being called "The Voice" puts her in excellent company with Bing who I believe was also known by that moniker.) 

EDIT: After searching around on the forum (others have asked the same question Wink ), "praties" are what the Irish call potatoes. Smiley

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 06:32PM »

LOL! The Praties is a Trad Irish band based in Los Angeles, California.  Wink http://thepraties.com/

Just kidding... praties is slang for potatos.  Cheesy

I think Tuatha Dé Danann is right... the strangers that scorned must have been the English. But I'm not sure.

I don't think the strangers that scorned would be the Spanish. For centuries Spanish merchant and fishing ships made port calls along the west coast of Ireland. I believe, for the most part these were friendly port calls. These Spanish sailors influenced the Irish culture in ports like Galway and Sligo in some positive ways that can be seen today.
  thanks for your input too!   Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: