Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Here I Stand" song lyrics  (Read 11055 times)
greenfire6
« on: September 20, 2007, 03:47PM »

I am hoping someone can help me learn/correct the complete lyrics to the song “Here I Stand”.

I have placed this topic in Celtic Culture in the event that a discussion follows regarding what the song is about. (I assume the song is in the context of the Irish men that left Ireland, beginning in 1691 and never returned from war on the continent.) Please forgive me if I should have placed it in General Discussion.

This song is not listed in the geocities.com celticlyricscorner web place. What I do know is it was written by Joanna Hogg and produced by Dave Bainbridge. My understanding is it was first released on the 1990 ForeFront Records/Word (UK) release, Iona.

Unfortunately, I don’t own that album. I listen to this beautiful song on a Christian, Celtic music, two disc compilation called Celtic  The Ultimate Collection.

Here is what I have for its lyrics:

Here I stand
Looking out to sea
Where a thousand souls have prayed
And a thousand ____?______  were laid on the sand
Were laid on the sand
Years have passed
Since they have died
And the word shall last
And the wild goose shall fly
Shall fly
Here I stand
Looking out to sea
And I say a prayer
That the wild goose will come to me
That the wild goose will come to me

Thanks for any help.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 04:53PM »

HERE I STAND

Here I stand, looking out to sea
Where a thousand souls have prayed
And a thousand lives were laid on the sand
Were laid on the sand
Years have passed, since they have died
And The Word shall last
And the Wild Goose shall fly
Shall fly
Here I stand, looking out to sea
And I say a prayer
That the Wild Goose will come to me
That the Wild Goose will come to me

Note: I have the complete lyrics from the Iona album in a PDF file.  I can email it to you if you like.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
greenfire6
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 11:17PM »

Thanks for the rapid and complete reply Rich! I don’t think I need your generous offer of the PDF file.

Except for the one missing word and some mistakes with capitalization, etc. I was surprisingly close? However, that one word brings the song into a whole new historical vision for me.

This song is performed with stunning beauty on the album Celtic  The Ultimate Collection. An “irk” I have with compilation CD’s is the literature that comes with same tends to be somewhat lacking. On that album I believe this song is sung by Sarah Lacy, I think her name is now Sarah Lacy Bird and the album is traditional and contemporary Christian, mostly Celtic songs performed by a talented outfit called Straightway but, apparently, now called Eden’s Bridge. I have no connection with Straightway/Eden’s Bridge so this isn’t an ad but Ms Lacy Bird and Straightway/Eden’s Bridge make some very beautiful music indeed!

I am not even sure if these gifted people are Irish, or Scottish, or?

Regardless- Long Live Celtic Music!
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 03:07PM »

Where did it come from?

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
greenfire6
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 06:27PM »

It came from a little Christian bookstore in Carson City, Nevada, USA.

Just kidding KAJ! I guess because it’s a compilation the literature doesn’t say where the 24 songs were originally recorded/released. However, there is information that for the US and Canada it was put together by a concern called EMI, Christian Music Group (CMG) out of Brentwood, Tennessee, USA in 2006.

It’s a load of good music for under $11.00!

I have another Eden’s Bridge album (featuring many of the same artist) called Celtic Psalms that has this message in the literature that will sort of get me back on topic in an interesting way:

A NOTE FROM EDEN’S BRIDGE
It is our deepest hope that CELTIC PSALMS…. will help to inspire you towards a place of spiritual renewal and refreshment, and help ease the stress of life’s busyness and concerns. We hope you enjoy the music as well! The Celtic stylings are derived from our heritage. The sounds of Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England, can all be heard in Celtic music. Almost fifteen hundred years ago, the Celtic Christian missionary, Columba, left Ireland and established a missionary training center just off the west coast of the Scottish highlands. It was from there that Christianity was transported to Scotland, England and western Europe. The legacy of Celtic Christians is very strong. They have left us stories and songs, prayers and examples of Spirit filled lives. Our songs contain this influence, as well as our testimonies. We’ve purposed to compose lyrics that communicate with our holy God, give Him praise, and encourage you in your daily walk.
EDEN’S BRIDGE, WEST YORKSHIRE, ENGLAND   1 SEPTEMBER 1997

I hope I can find the Iona album someday as well.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 06:37PM »

I hope I can find the Iona album someday as well.
The album was re-released in 2004 and is available in their web store.  https://theh2.co.uk/iona/store/The_Iona_Store.htm - scroll to the bottom of the page.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
poohbear
Honorary Roadie

funcle

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 07:53PM »

I swear Rich, you seem to know or be able to find everything.   You ever think of trying out for Jepordy?   
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 08:50PM »

Just trying to keep everyone happy.  The secret to looking smart is knowing where to look up the answers.   Grin

greenfire6
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 11:59PM »

Thanks for the Iona Store link Rich.

At the moment it isn't working. I will try again later.

From the little I know sometimes later is better with internet science. (Similair to cell phone science.)

It's a brave new world, or so I've heard!
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 04:34AM »

It seems so pretty sweet.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
greenfire6
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 11:17AM »

Thanks again Rich. The link to “Iona_Store” worked this morning.
You’re much more than the Administrator here-

You’re the Patriarch!

And I mean that in every complimentary way.

KAJ, I hope you get to hear the song someday soon!
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 03:27PM »

Really? As I do, I need any performer to fill in the blanks of this song.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: