Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Former Celtic Woman star helps students find their voice in Peachtree City  (Read 6714 times)
AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« on: April 29, 2013, 09:58PM »

The first thing that strikes you about Lisa Kelly is her eyes — sparkling and smiling and focused on every word in a conversation.

Then come the lighthearted laugh and delightful Irish accent that color her sentences. On some people, these melodic accessories might come off as affectations, but with Kelly, everything oozes authenticity.

For nearly a decade, Kelly supplied those attributes, as well as her angelic soprano voice, to Celtic Woman, the international Irish phenomenon that is a favorite of PBS watchers and fans of lilting Celtic folk-pop.

But when the group visits the Fox Theatre on Tuesday, Kelly won’t be with them. Instead, she’ll be teaching a class at the Lisa Kelly Voice Academy, her recently opened singing school in Peachtree City.

In January, Kelly officially departed Celtic Woman to concentrate on the academy — which she runs with her husband, former Riverdance star and Celtic Woman CEO Scott Porter — and raise their four children in the golf-cart-loving enclave about 40 minutes south of Atlanta.

It’s obvious to wonder how a Dublin-raised lass in a massively popular, relentlessly touring group with a penchant for lush vocal stylings wound up in Peachtree City. The answer is a bit less obvious.

“I Googled the best places to live in America and (Peachtree City) kept coming up. I honestly thought it was a joke. I sat Scott down one weekend and said, ‘You’ve got to go look.’ So he came down here and said, ‘You’re going to love this place.’ I decided I wanted to live here before I even came,” Kelly, 35, said.

The city, which the family moved to two years ago, also provided the suburban amenities that they couldn’t indulge in during a stint living in Manhattan — solid public schools, neighborhoods where the kids could play in the streets and a sense of community.

Being in proximity to Atlanta — Kelly is a fan of Buckhead and Fogo de Chao restaurant — and within reasonable flying time to her homeland also factored into the decision.

“It’s nice to see people leave work at 5 o’clock,” Kelly said of her living environs. “Family is completely prioritized.”

http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/atlanta-music-scene/2013/apr/29/former-celtic-woman-star-helps-students-find-their/
oregongirl29
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 07:39PM »

Awesome Thanks for posting.
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 05:43AM »

Thanks for posting here!  I thought it was a great article on Lisa.  We are certainly always hungry for news of her.  Cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: