Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mairead ‘thrilled’ to join Celtic Woman - Article in the Derry Journal  (Read 17381 times)
urbanracer34
Bodhrán Player

« on: September 03, 2013, 04:04PM »

2013 will certainly be a year to remember for Derry-born singer Mairead Carlin, who has recently been announced as the newest member of smash-hit US phenomenon, Celtic Woman.

The meteoric rise to join Celtic Woman is just the latest in a long line of achievements for this inspired local woman. Although still in her early 20s, Mairead hit the headlines late last year when she was announced as the latest signing to legendary music label Decca Records - the label who so famously turned down The Beatles back in the day!

Mairead also wowed audiences all over the UK when she was chosen to support legendary ‘American Pie’ singer Don McLean on the extensive UK leg of his World Tour, including a sell-out concert at the Royal Albert Hall.

From there, she performed at the first City of Culture concert in her hometown of Derry, taking to the stage at Ebrington’s Venue during ‘Sons & Daughters’ alongside fellow US singing sensation and Glee star, Damian McGinty.

Speaking of her move to Celtic Woman, Mairead told the Journal; “I am thrilled and honoured to join Celtic Woman, particularly as I’m the first girl from the North of Ireland. I’m humbled to be able to continue on their musical journey alongside Susan, Lisa and Mairead.”

Celtic Woman is the all-female Irish musical ensemble conceived and assembled by Sharon Browne, who also helped create Celtic Thunder, and David Downes, a former musical director of the Irish stage show Riverdance.

Derry producer Frank Gallagher revealed: “The Celtic Woman offer came from a recent meeting I had with their record company in New York. They got in touch with me soon after and expressed interest.I jumped at the chance as it’s a wonderful platform for Mairead to propel her career.”

To date, Celtic Woman has sold six million albums and now, with Mairead alongside, they’ll tour Europe, Australia and the USA.

In coming weeks, Mairead will release a single of ‘Let The River Run’ with Damian McGinty. The song notably features in the current City of Culture promotional video ‘Silver Cities Rise’.

US megastar Carly Simon, who wrote the song, emailed Mairead’s producer Frank Gallagher, to say; “I just played it and cried my eyes out and am still crying. It’s absolutely stunningly wonderful.”

After what’s sure to be an exhaustive few months, Mairead will then turn her attentions to her own debut album, Songbook, due out next year on Decca Records.

All in a day’s work, as they say!

http://www.derryjournal.com/what-s-on/arts-culture/mairead-thrilled-to-join-celtic-woman-1-5448771

I'm Jerad. Smiley
CWazy since 2012!
CompTIA A+ certified, Long time Apple product user.

Banner by Kirstie. Thanks! Smiley
leighlam
Featured Soloist

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 04:13PM »

Awesome find!  Thanks for sharing Jerad
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:26PM by leighlam » Logged

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 06:25PM »

Yes...thank  you  Jerad !   Smiley    I'm  excited  too. 

IloveyouSarahBurke!! <3
Choir Member

When You Believe~ Chloe:"that was for you" 5/15/15

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 06:50AM »

This is way too cool!!
Thanks for posting! Smiley

Thanks Scott! 
I MET CHLOE (6X),LIL' LAMBE (4X)MAIREAD NESBITT(6X)AND SUSAN(6X) MAIREAD CARLIN(4X) ALEX SHARPE,and EABHA!!!!!!!!!!
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 06:12PM »

Mairead  C.   is   our    LONDONDERRY    DEARY     Cheesy 

oregongirl29
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 09:02PM »

So is she leaving CW after the tour or is she just working on her album?

(After what’s sure to be an exhaustive few months, Mairead will then turn her attentions to her own debut album, Songbook, due out next year on Decca Records.)
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 09:08PM »

(After what’s sure to be an exhaustive few months, Mairead will then turn her attentions to her own debut album, Songbook, due out next year on Decca Records.)
Good  question ... maybe  that  just  means  she will work  on  her  personal  projects  while  not  on tour  ....  Undecided 

Celtic Chan
Bodhrán Player

Queen Méav

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 09:52PM »

Now I'm curious. I wonder what that means. Undecided
AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 10:11PM »

Well she's clearly committed until at least June.  No way David would pick someone who couldn't at least through the already scheduled tours.  Hopefully he planned ahead and asked what is the minimum amount of time she'll be with the group.

I would say it probably means that once they're done here in the US, she'll go to work on finishing up her own album.  The girls have done plenty of their own projects when not on tour.  Sometimes I think we (speaking of people in general) always assume the worst.

Truly, I'd be more worried about Susan leaving next year since she's getting married in the summer.

As long as Celtic Woman is successful, it will likely continue despite the rotation of members.
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 06:27AM »

Do you really think Susan would leave?  Huh I hope not. Sad  But apart form that: Marriage made none of the girls leave so far.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: