Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home For Christmas DVD Reviews  (Read 40207 times)
AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« on: October 29, 2013, 06:08PM »

I don't start a lot of threads, but I thought it would be good to have for everyone to post their reviews/opinions of the HFC DVD.  I don't have the Blu-Ray version yet (long story as to why) but it will be here later.

Obviously if you don't want to be spoiled and haven't seen it yet, don't read beyond the first post.  Pretty sure I noticed several former choir members there again, although only one with absolute certainty.

I only saw Kirstie clearly once, at the 31:34-36 mark.  Way too much focus on the little kids in the audience than the adults.  One question I do have for her, were the 1st and 2nd halves of the show about equal lengths or was one much longer than the other?

I've got some stuff to do, but will work on my actual thoughts on the DVD later this evening.

But one tidbit before I depart for a while.

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 06:12PM »

To  paraphrase  something  my  dad  would  have  said...   "Hubba  hubba  ding  ding , baby  they  got  everything !    Grin   I  will  be getting my  DVD   about  a week later  than  some, so  I will have  to  resist the  temptation  of  seeing  this  thread again  until  mine  comes. But  it's  a good  idea,  though .   Cool

The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 06:42PM »

I got my dvd today and it's simply divine

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
CelticWomanAddict
Total Fanatic

You'll Never Walk Alone

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 07:32PM »

Just one minor thing for me,I woulda preferred it came in a regular standard DVD case so I could put in on the shelf with my other Celtic DVD's,mine has a sorta of a CD jewel case instead.I have the regular DVD edition.

AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 08:11PM »

Just one minor thing for me,I woulda preferred it came in a regular standard DVD case so I could put in on the shelf with my other Celtic DVD's,mine has a sorta of a CD jewel case instead.I have the regular DVD edition.

Mine is the DVD/CD and it is also in a single jewel case, the kind that hold two discs.  Perhaps the Blu-Ray will be a regular DVD type case.
AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 09:17PM »

A few thoughts because I suck at writing long reviews, at least quickly.  One thing, I am very opinionated when it comes to Christmas music so there are some songs I just do not like and I don't care who sings them.  I'm only going to mention some on this post.  I'll probably comment on others as the threads goes along.

While I don't know if the 1st half was longer than the 2nd during the live show, on the DVD it surely was.  The 2nd half only made up about 20 minutes, the 1st was the other 40.  Kirstie will have to tell us exactly how long each segment was.

It was so good to see Meav back, even if it was just for this DVD.  The way she just stepped right back in is like she never really left.  As we say, once a CW, always a CW.

Lisa gets the duet with David for I'll Be Home For Christmas.  I always loved seeing Lisa Kelly and David (mostly LK lol) duets, so it was really nice to see Lisa L and David have one.

Hark The Herald Angels Sing- One of my top five favorite Christmas songs and the girls knock it out of the park.  One of the most beautiful renditions of it I have heard in a very long time.

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town- Meh, not a song I care for, not even when I was a kid; nor do I care for all the kiddies.

We Three Kings- It's not CW without Anthony (or as Lisa Kelly called him, "The 5th Celtic Woman").  This is another song I've always loved and and am so glad they covered it this time.  It is one song I missed not having in ACC.

Carol of the Bells- I think this was one of the best songs for Mairead to have as a solo.  It works well instrumental or vocal.

O Tannenbaum- I wish I had learned German from my family who still spoke it when I was a kid.

Silent Night- Of all the girls, this one should only be sung by Meav.  She was perfect in ACC, and she is still perfect.  I think James will probably break his DVD watching it over and over... and over.  Cheesy

It s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas- Finally a switch to Act 2, but another meh song to me.  It seems that Susan is really enjoying this one though.  I think she really enjoys the songs that are more for the kids.

The Light of Christmas Morn- I don't think I've ever heard this song, so it was nice for there to be one which I didn't already have an opinion of.  How many ways can we say the girls are simply angelic?

It Came Upon A Midnight Clear- I didn't much care for the choir on this song, but it's Susan who makes the song and does so wonderfully.  I truly hope she stays around because she brings a very unique, almost childlike enthusiasm to the show, and I mean that in a good way.

Auld Lang Syne- The audience response to Lisa was not that enthusiastic.  Chloe would not have been very happy.  Nice that Lisa get another duet with David.  I'll play this song on New Years Eve for sure since it's such a great rendition and of course, it's CW so what could be better?

Joy To The World- Another song I missed not being on ACC so was very glad to have it here.

I am disappointed that we did not see Mairead say "Let it Snow" so they clearly used the 1st recording for the end as it was just a little Let it Snow on the fiddle before fading to black.  I also would have liked to see a Mairead solo in the 2nd half.  Oh, and I am going to be a guy for a minute and say that Mairead has very beautiful legs.

I'm still debating exactly where I'd rate this DVD compared to all of the other CW productions.
littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

Mairead and Misha- Pixies!

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 10:14PM »

/rant

Wow. I will happily say that I got my DVD this afternoon. I have not yet watched the show in full, but some glaring issues technical wise stood out to me. (aka James, who is on a skype call with me at the moment, heard me swear VERY colorfully.)

1. No subtitles on the DVD- Really? This is 2013 for crying out loud. And if they are making the assumption that subtitles are only used by those who are deaf...um...HARD OF HEARING? Not to mention people who might be inspired to learn the songs (if they don't know them all) and choose to do so by watching the DVD... over and over and over.

2. NO credit given to the girls on the DVD- the girls are never introduced via text/video montage as they were on other DVDs. The opening acknowledgements on the bottom left of the screen in small white text only acknowledge David and a selection of businesspeople. There are NO closing credits, either. The girls are strictly mentioned in the paper insert in the DVD case, and then not even prominently.

3. NO musician credit (except David. who did fantastic) either- see above.

/endrant

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:18PM by littlecubspirit » Logged

MY REVIEW OF MY THIRD SHOW IS UP!

I MET LISA L, CHLOE, MAIREAD N, SUSAN,  MAIREAD C, LYNN, EABHA,  DAVID, SARAH/EDEL, CRAIG, NICK, RAY, ANTHONY!
kirstie_x
Bodhrán Player

Fill the glasses one more time!

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 05:34AM »

I only saw Kirstie clearly once, at the 31:34-36 mark.  Way too much focus on the little kids in the audience than the adults.  One question I do have for her, were the 1st and 2nd halves of the show about equal lengths or was one much longer than the other?

I'm almost certain one half was longer than the other, but it seemed longer on the night because there was retake of one song, plus some of camera stuff Smiley

Also, I'm sure I heard Máiréad say her 'let it snow' little bit disappointed if that's been cut, it makes the song.

All I ask is that you want me as a friend  Kiss
Celtic Woman Home For Christmas August 7th 2013-best night of my life Smiley

Thanks, ShiningBright Smiley
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 09:54AM »

Why didn't you review the songs "Winter WOnderland", "What Child Is This" and "We Wish You A Merry Christmas"? Are they not on the DVD?  Huh

Apart form that, thank you for the review! I'm SO exited!

AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 10:54AM »

Why didn't you review the songs "Winter WOnderland", "What Child Is This" and "We Wish You A Merry Christmas"? Are they not on the DVD?  Huh

Apart form that, thank you for the review! I'm SO exited!

I was being lazy.  Cheesy  Some songs I just couldn't think of what to say @ the time so I figured it was better to say nothing @ the moment than just babble more than I already was.
AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 10:55AM »

Gotta agree with Misha, whoever did the post production needs a swift kick in the butt.

All three oversights are glaring failures in whoever did the post production.  Sure they only had a few months, but it cannot be that hard to at least add credits.

Also, I wonder if the PBS version that they'll be selling as part of the pledge drive might be different than the one we can purchase right now.
Gribblie24

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 12:15PM »

The credits are there.  They are given as a menu choice.
tchristina23

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 02:44PM »

I got my DVD at 2:20 yesterday afternoon and had to be to work at 3, so I had just enough time to get it into the dvd player and watch 3 songs. Not enough to get me through an 8 hour shift.
Went home and watched it once, then a 2nd time.
The credits are there, but they have put them in a separate areas. I do agree that I like each of the girls named as the appear on stage. Just a cool thing. I was also upset with no subtitles. How am us supposed to memorize them before concert date if I can't read the words.

Did anyone watch the bonus songs? I kind of liked the relaxed feeling of that even though you know it was rehearsed. Susan was Joseph? how dare they do that to her.

Okay, my favorites..
The light of Christmas Morn....Don't know why, but it just catches me. I couldn't take my eyes off the tv, not even to wonder to my drink. I REALLY hope they keep that one with Lisa and Mairead singing it.
It Came Upon A Midnight Clear....I love Susans voice in it. A different arrangement I wasn't sure about, but she shows her powerhouse voice in it.
O' Christmas Tree, probably because of the 3 languages they use. I hope they keep this one in the show.
Santa Clause Is Coming To Town...I like the mingling with the kids. christmas is for kids so it took me back.
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 03:57PM »

literelly just got mine!  I was supposed to get it on the day it came out but then at night last night I got the message it was on the carrier! So I really hate waiting and 2 days had passed then I get a message from ups since they had a ton of deliveries that they were having an issue getting it to me which they eventually re messaged me saying I was gonna get it by tonight! So when I got home from admitting my grandma into my nursing home It was there! I freaked out though because I didn't know there was 2 discs in the one disc case! Not cool!  I was gonna wait for the dvd tomorrow and then message them but I opened it and they were both there and scared me!  I love the pink to though! Since I am off tomorrow I will definitely be watching it excitedly!  And I also got 2 e-mails about the promo codes the other day!  But I am going directly through pbs since I do not trust my computer or card and would definitely mess up!

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
Gribblie24

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 05:50PM »

Just a few comments about the DVDs:

I'll leave the music critiques to others, 'nuff said though, it's another amazing performance.

I have both the standard and Blu-ray discs.  If you have the equipment, get the Blu-ray, it's incredible! I took the standard version to work to watch on my laptop when I could, but watched the Blu-ray when I got home-no comparison!

It was great to see new videos of Meav.  I was a fan when she was a member, but didn't start going to concerts until after she had left.  I hate that...

First time I ever saw Ray in a shirt with sleeves.

I truly missed the "Making of the DVD" segment included in most past efforts, but the bonus material with the girls around David on the piano was a good substitute.

No Chloe, but that is her father on oboe, correct?

And...Lisa Lambe-back as a redhead...Yesssss.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 06:36PM by Gribblie24 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: