Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home for Christmas tour: Newport News, VA, December 1, 2013  (Read 4849 times)
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« on: December 04, 2013, 06:51PM »

I was fortunate enough, along with some other forum members, to see the show from the front row at the Fergueson Center in Newport News, VA on December 1, 2013.  Present were Tomtom, Daniel, Mark, Mike (Mr. Peabody) and myself, all on the front row with my fortuitous purchase of a ticket from Tom at dinner.

The now-familiar convention of David Downes and Celtic Woman being joined by the local philharmonic was observed at this show.  Joining David and soloists Lisa, Susan McFaddin and Mairead Nesbitt was new addition Mairead Carlin!  Andy Reilly on percussion and Anthony Byrne on bagpipes marked the CW instrumentalists present.  Piper Tommy Martin was slated to appear, but illness overtook him in Las Vegas and he was not present for this show.  I spoke with Anthony after the show, who gave us the encouraging news that Tommy is alright and will be rejoining the tour.

Our fabulous Lisa Lambe is now the senior vocalist of the group!  Lisa was in tremendous form this night, totally at ease and in great voice. A full house was present to see the nearly flawless performance of songs from the DVD/CD.  She spotted me during the first song and gave me a couple of winks, which needless  to say, was a thrill!  Grin

Borrowing from the method by which the Spice Girls distinguished two "Mels" as "Mel B" and "Mel C", I will likewise distinguish the Maireads of Celtic Woman as "Mairead N" and "Mairead C".  Grin
A distinction being that these soloists of Celtic Woman are just as beautiful, but possessed of more talent!  Cool

As we suspected, Mairead C sang the songs from the DVD/CD which were sung by Meav.  She  remarkably seems to possess the same vocal range as Meav, as was demonstrated in several songs such as Silent Night.

Lisa shone in her numbers such as I'll Be Home for Christmas and my favorite, Auld Lang Syne.  I'll not be present where that song is sung by her and not stand for an ovation, as I did this night.

Each of the girls did marvelously in the introduction of their numbers and in reminiscing about past Christmases.  That Lisa, Susan and Mairead N did so was not surprising to me.  That Mairead C did was a bit unexpected, as I did not expect so much so quickly from her!  She was not the least bit nervous or apprehensive in her presentation.  As such, she has proved David has not lost his touch in the selection of  superb soloists for the group.

The crowd progressively enjoyed themselves and by the end of the show, would not let them leave without an encore.  Lisa held the microphone for Mairead N as she ended the show with her seductive utterance of "Let it Snow".

Celtic Woman fans should make every effort to attend one or more of these fabulous Christmas shows.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 08:29AM by Starman » Logged

Traveling Spaceman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 08:30PM »

Thanks Starman - that's fantastic news about Tommy. I had heard that he was sick and left the tour, but hadn't heard an update. I was worried about him. Thanks for the good news!  Smiley

Thank you Chiara for my beautiful banner. Smiley
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:38PM »

Yes, thank you for another fine review, John.  Good to know Tommy is better. Smiley
There have been a lot of people getting sick in Vegas lately. 
Some were at the Rio hotel -- a youth football group -- 80 to 90 sick. Sad
Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 11:28AM »

Thanks, John.  I saw HFC on my local PBS station last night and am ready to see it live on Dec. 15.  A few of us forum members will be there.  I will definitely give a standing O during Auld Lang Syne and probably several other songs.

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 05:20PM »

Thanks, John.  I saw HFC on my local PBS station last night and am ready to see it live on Dec. 15.  A few of us forum members will be there.  I will definitely give a standing O during Auld Lang Syne and probably several other songs.

That's the spirit Hubert!  I know that these forum members and yourself will love the show!  Show the rest of the audience that these wonderful performers from Celtic Woman have some eager fans there!  Wink Cool

Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 05:32PM »

Yes, thank you for another fine review, John.  Good to know Tommy is better. Smiley
There have been a lot of people getting sick in Vegas lately. 
Some were at the Rio hotel -- a youth football group -- 80 to 90 sick. Sad

Legionnaire's disease?  I didn't get to ask Anthony what it was and I know he wouldn't have wanted to shout it out for everyone to hear anyway.  Cheesy

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:24PM »

Legionnaire's disease?  I didn't get to ask Anthony what it was and I know he wouldn't have wanted to shout it out for everyone to hear anyway.  Cheesy
No, they say it was highly contagious Norovirus.  At least 13 kids (ages 7-9) and 5 adults were hospitalized. Sad
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 06:33PM »

No, they say it was highly contagious Norovirus.  At least 13 kids (ages 7-9) and 5 adults were hospitalized. Sad

Good lord!  I thought it was probably food poisoning.  Anthony didn't say exactly when Tommy would rejoin the tour.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: