Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlanta, GA | Woodruff Center for the Arts | 12.22.13  (Read 5213 times)
Traveling Spaceman
Honorary Roadie

« on: December 24, 2013, 10:20PM »

It’s hard to express how much attending this concert meant to me without telling the strange story of how I wound up there in the first place. That, in itself, is a pre-Christmas miracle.

The sorrow.
As many of you know, I lost my Mom in April. When I thought ahead to Dec. 25th, I cringed imagining my first Christmas without her. There were dark times where I hoped it would just pass me by.

When the Symphony Tour schedule came out, there was nothing within driving distance – but there was Atlanta, GA, just three days before Christmas. I thought it might be a sign: I know people in Atlanta, and if I could somehow get seats, I could actually have something to look forward to this Christmas. So I told my friends that if they would let me stay with them, the tickets were on me.

The day that Atlanta went on sale, I was delayed a couple of hours before I could get online, and everything close to the stage was gone. Admittedly, I reacted like a little kid – I could have bought tickets to just be in the building, but I had my heart set on being close. I pouted. I gave up on going.

But I did tell my friends to watch for HFC to air around Thanksgiving. I figured they would be offering tickets, and that would be our last chance. And then, since it was only September, I forgot about it and started to dread the holidays again.

The miracle.
Then, on a random Sunday afternoon in October, it all changed in a heartbeat. My buddy fell asleep watching football. When he woke up, the game was over - so he started flipping channels, and just happened to land on the local PBS station. They were showing the millionth repeat of Believe – and offering pit seats for Symphony.

He tried to call me, but I was playing tennis and had my phone in my bag. He left a voice mail, sent a text, and an email. I didn’t answer. Still groggy, he went in and woke up his napping wife. She made the executive decision to order the tickets, and hope that my offer still stood. God bless her forever.

There’s no way on earth I would have told my friends to look for a membership drive on a Sunday afternoon in October – so the fact that he happened to land on PBS at the exact right time led me to believe that God was smiling on me. It was like someone flipped a switch and the sun came out. I was going to be “home” (with the girls) for Christmas.

The show.
When the usher pointed out our seats, I nearly lost my breath. I knew we were in the 2nd pit row, but you don’t realize how close it is until you see it. And in this pit, the rows are curved, so the 2nd row actually wraps beyond the 1st – and since I had seat 1, there would be no one in front of me. My heart started pounding right about then, and the show hadn’t started yet. I’d been thinking about this for months, but only now did it feel like it was really happening. I can’t even imagine what it feels like moments before a meet and greet.

From my spot I had a great view backstage, with all the preparations going on. Mostly it was stage hands and orchestra members, but as I was looking at my program, every once in awhile I’d hear someone whisper behind me, “There they are!” and I’d look up and see one or two of the girls go by. Even from 100 feet away, they still take your breath away. The first time I saw them, I fanned myself with the program, which cracked up my friends.

The house lights went down, and the conductor came out and led the orchestra in an outstanding holiday instrumental medley. Afterward, David came out and thanked everyone behind the scenes, since this was the last Symphony Tour stop. I still can’t get used to his beard, but it was great to see him live for the first time. He really deserves a lot of credit for keeping the quality of the music so high through all the cast changes. It can’t be easy to put voices together so that they work seamlessly, then have to do it all over again when someone leaves. Since I was sitting smack in front of the piano, I had a great vantage point to watch David perform all night.

He did a brief introduction that was similar to what he says at the beginning of the “Bonus Material” on the HFC DVD about how the music of Christmas binds us together like no other time of the year. Then he introduced “who you have all come to see,” and out came the girls – Lisa and Mairéad C from my side, and Susan and Mairéad N from the other. They stopped in the middle of the stage, right near the edge.

In the moment just after, when all was quiet as the conductor was raising his arms, I said a brief prayer of thanks. I know somewhere in heaven, Mom was smiling knowing her son could be happy. And she loved Christmas music.

I won’t go through each number, as previous reviewers have done more skillfully than I could, but there are a number of things that stood out…

The memories.
…At my first show, when the lights came up and I saw the girls live for the first time (it was Lisa, Chloe, Susan, and Mairéad at the time), I said to myself: “My goodness, they’re even more beautiful in person.” I had the same reaction Sunday seeing Mairéad C for the first time. She is stunning, and hearing her speak about her favorite Christmas memories, she seems very sweet as well. From what she’s said, she seems to be genuinely humble and honored to be a Celtic Woman. During the show, she even thanked everyone for giving her such a warm welcome.

As for her performance, it left no doubt that she is another perfect fit for the group, and triumph for David. The bar for “Silent Night” was set very high, having been recorded for DVD by the incomparable Méav, but Mairéad did it justice. Even the high notes seemed fairly effortless. Can’t wait to hear the result when she gets her own songs on the upcoming Emerald tour. She has great range.

…For “Danny Boy” and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,” all the girls gathered in front of the piano. To have everyone, including David, no more than a few feet away performing, was a thrill I’ll never forget. Before, “Have Yourself…”, the girls shared a little of what Christmas means to them. It reminded me of the intimate setting of the “Bonus Material” on the DVD, only it was happening live in front of my eyes. Incredible.

…I’m glad they gave Mairéad N more solos. One of the only mild disappointments I had with HFC was that Mairéad only had Carol of the Bells. But Sunday, she played Shenandoah/The Butterfly, “In the Bleak Midwinter,” and “The Coast of Galicia”. During Galicia, she ran over and stopped right in front of me and launched into one of her trademark whirlwind riffs. I felt like I was hallucinating or something. She was magnificent, and had the crowd rocking the house. When someone throws that much energy into a performance, it’s hard not to get caught up in it. How she has maintained that energy over nearly a decade of constant touring is amazing. The one funny part was when she ran over to the lead violinist in the orchestra and tried to get him to react to her. He just looked at his music and didn't even acknowledge her. Now that is concentration - I can't imagine anyone ignoring Mairéad.

…I’ve said this before so I won’t belabor it, but I adore Lisa’s version of “Auld Lang Syne”. And before I heard her sing it, I didn’t even like it that much. There’s just something about the way she sings it that elevates it. I’ve heard versions that sound sappy and depressing - but when Lisa sings it, it seems so hopeful that your heart soars. That lovely Irish lilt of hers is perfect for the song. She’s so good at bringing the best out of the material she's given.

…Susan was powerful as usual, especially during my favorite of hers from HFC, “It Came Upon a Midnight Clear.” It was very different without the gospel choir - but it seemed that she tried to compensate for the lack of vocal accompaniment by making her delivery even bigger and more powerful. She pulled it off, too. Most people were standing after that one.

…“Carol of the Bells” (done here as a vocal, not an instrumental as in HFC) and “Ding Dong Merrily on High” showcase the girls’ breathtaking harmonies and David’s flawless arrangements. I could listen to those two songs over and over again.

...It really hit me just how close our seats were after Mairéad came out after intermission and played "Midwinter" to open the second half. As she finished up, the rest of the girls came walking out and I could actually hear the "clip clop" of their shoes on the stage, even over the music. Funny what sticks in your mind.

…Great to see and hear Anthony. In the previous show I saw, there wasn’t a dry eye in the house when he came down the center aisle in a spotlight playing the opening to “Amazing Grace.” His opening on Sunday for “We Three Kings” was equally stirring. I missed hearing Tommy, but relieved that he’s going to be OK and will be on the Emerald Tour.

…Hearing David talk about how this was the last show, and how everyone would be traveling thousands of miles to enjoy Christmas with their families, only reminded me how difficult constant touring must be. I’m grateful that the performers share their considerable gifts with us during the Christmas season.

And grateful for all my forum friends who “get” why this concert meant so much to me. If you haven't already, I hope you all get a chance to experience a Symphony Tour show for yourself. It's very different than a regular tour stop - a more intimate setting, with less elaborate stage decoration and no chorus. During their talk, the girls asked us to imagine ourselves in our living rooms at home near a crackling fire, surrounded by ones we love. Considering the girls were just a few feet away, that's exactly what it felt like.  Smiley

Thank you Chiara for my beautiful banner. Smiley
urbanracer34
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 10:41PM »

Thanks for the great review Rob. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom passing in April. Sad

I'm Jerad. Smiley
CWazy since 2012!
CompTIA A+ certified, Long time Apple product user.

Banner by Kirstie. Thanks! Smiley
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 12:03AM »

Thank  you  for  all  the  thoughtfulness  that you put  into  relating  your  experience Rob.   I  have  been to  one Symphony tour  show-that was  before  the infamous  dispute  between MnOrchestra  management  and  the musicians. I won't get into  that  much, but I understand  the excitement.  I  had  front  row pit  seats for last  years Spring  tour and know what that's  about.  Keep  it  up Rob.  and  thanks  again  for  your  review.   Cool

AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 12:18AM »

It's always amazing to hear how something special happens when it comes to CW.  There always seems to be something magical about them.

Since I was sitting smack in front of the piano, I had a great vantage point to watch David perform all night.

David is as much fun as the girls.  He gets into it just as much as they do.  He's as much of a member of CW as the girls are.  The beard just doesn't fit him, although he still looks like a kid.

I said to myself: “My goodness, they’re even more beautiful in person.” I had the same reaction Sunday seeing Mairéad C for the first time. She is stunning...

I've always said that no picture or video can do the girls justice.

…For “Danny Boy” and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,” all the girls gathered in front of the piano. To have everyone, including David, no more than a few feet away performing, was a thrill I’ll never forget. Before, “Have Yourself…”, the girls shared a little of what Christmas means to them. It reminded me of the intimate setting of the “Bonus Material” on the DVD, only it was happening live in front of my eyes. Incredible.

That would have been the best part.  For me, that occurred on the opposite end of the stage.

Now that is concentration - I can't imagine anyone ignoring Mairéad.

Doing so can be hazardous to one's health.  Cheesy

...It really hit me just how close our seats were after Mairéad came out after intermission and played "Midwinter" to open the second half. As she finished up, the rest of the girls came walking out and I could actually hear the "clip clop" of their shoes on the stage, even over the music. Funny what sticks in your mind.

I noticed that as well, even over the orchestra; and it wasn't because the mics picked it up; just because they were so close.  Also thought it was cool how we could smell Mairead's perfume.

And grateful for all my forum friends who “get” why this concert meant so much to me. If you haven't already, I hope you all get a chance to experience a Symphony Tour show for yourself. It's very different than a regular tour stop - a more intimate setting, with less elaborate stage decoration and no chorus.

The Symphony Tour truly is a completely different experience from the normal show.  Even if one is not a fan of Christmas music, it is still worth it to go simply because of how enjoyable the girls make it.
Traveling Spaceman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 10:21AM »

Thanks everyone for your replies. It was hard to write, because it's difficult to put into words just how much it meant to me.

Agreed about David, Eric. It was great to see him perform for the first time. He puts a lot of passion into his work as well. And the interactions the girls have with him are great. Once, Susan sat next to him on the piano seat and made like she was going to bump him off while he was playing. That was funny.

Also should mention that during intermission, a PBS Atlanta representative came down and talked to us, thanking us for our support and asking us what we thought about the show, specifically Mairéad C. I thought that was really nice. I got the tickets for my March show through PBS here, but no representative came down to thank us.

A couple of other things that occurred to me since: I really liked that they devoted a full page in the program to a montage of pictures of all the girls, past and present. I'm hoping to get it scanned, it's very nice. And in reading Lisa's page in the program, she notes that "A Spaceman Came Traveling" is one of her favorites, so naturally that made me smile.   Grin

Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 10:23AM »

Thanks for a great review to greet us this Christmas Day!  The tour made our Christmas memories this year much brighter, didn't it?  Smiley

Jack

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 12:20PM »

Thanks for the great review, Rob.  My wife and I were just up the row from you (Row BB, 9 and 10) along with Ganconagh in 8.  Sorry we didn't meet and perhaps chat a little.  The PBA representative was probably Alicia Steele.  She is a real sweetheart and makes it a point to personally greet and thank everyone. 

Mairead C was truly a stunning surprise!  After watching some of her Youtube videos with that beautiful gentle voice, I was totally blown away by the power and range that she has.  She also has great stage presence to go with a great personality and a willingness to interact with the audience.  Her enthusiasm is contagious and it brings out the best in the other girls.  She is and will be a great Celtic Woman.  Those who haven't seen her in person are definitely in for a treat.  David "done good" and we can't wait for the Spring tour! Smiley

Mairead N was as great as ever and seemed a bit more intense on the "serious" pieces.  I happened to look up at the symphony conductor while Mairead played "Shenandoah" and caught him wiping away tears from both cheeks.  What a beautiful, wonderful talent we have in this lady!

Susan has spread her wings and is now a full fledged Celtic Woman!  The girl has it all and impresses more and more each time we see her.  She is definitely growing on me! Cheesy

Lisa Lambe.  Dream girl, magical onstage, wonderful voice, unlimited talent, huge heart, very special lady, proud to call her friend.  We love you, Lisa!!

The symphony orchestra was superb.  If we lived a little closer, we would definitely attend their concerts.

Downers: 
For us the sound system was not the greatest and it detracted from the girls' performances.  It may have been caused by the speaker placements in relation to our location.

Second, the atmosphere of the venue left a lot to be desired.  Last year they were all decked out for Christmas with a huge lighted wreath at the back of the sound stage, lighted garlands all around and everything to make it "a lot like Christmas".  This year total bare bones, not even a sprig of holly----nothing.  What's going on?  Hopefully it wasn't some PC thing.

As usual, the Symphony Tour is a wonderful experience and we look forward to it each year.  Again, nice review.

Traveling Spaceman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 12:53PM »

Thanks, Jack and Starman. I too noticed the general lack of Christmas decorations, and found it a little odd. But I was so busy being carried away by the performances, I quickly forgot it. The girls definitely filled the theater with the Christmas spirit. It's a night I'll remember forever.   Smiley

AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 01:05PM »

Agreed about David, Eric. It was great to see him perform for the first time. He puts a lot of passion into his work as well. And the interactions the girls have with him are great. Once, Susan sat next to him on the piano seat and made like she was going to bump him off while he was playing. That was funny.

Susan did that too at the Dallas show.

Second, the atmosphere of the venue left a lot to be desired.  Last year they were all decked out for Christmas with a huge lighted wreath at the back of the sound stage, lighted garlands all around and everything to make it "a lot like Christmas".  This year total bare bones, not even a sprig of holly----nothing.  What's going on?  Hopefully it wasn't some PC thing.

Clearly it was a venue decision.  Other ones had tons of Christmas stuff.
Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 03:13PM »

Nice review, Rob.  You seem to have a knack for verbalizing what you see and hear that makes it meaningful to everyone.  I saw the same HFC show in Dallas and can follow your description quite easily.  I look forward to more reviews from you in the future.

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
Traveling Spaceman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 03:35PM »

Very kind of you to say, Hubert. I'm already looking forward to Williamsport, PA in May.   Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: