Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Columbia Review March 2nd  (Read 6402 times)
White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« on: March 03, 2014, 07:49AM »

So I'm trying to figure out my review and... first thing's first.

WOOHOO!

I was gifted a M&G ticket from someone, which was very much appreciated. It was fast, but for my first M&G, it was still pretty cool! From some people's reviews, it seems that SCETV is quite a lot nicer than some of the other PBS's. If I had the time to actually talk to the girls like I've read others used to get to do, I wouldn't have had a clue what to say! I enjoyed it anyway.

I'm really happy they went back to the older, more celtic stuff this tour. I've been missing that the last couple of shows I saw, particularly Believe. I was glad they sang a number of the older stuff, but they all sounded different, either just because of different girls singing them and therefore different interpretations or new arrangements.

First thing, The Sky, The Dawn, and the Sun. Wewt! I missed you a whole lot. I completely forgot that the tour version has the extra verse until they started singing it, so that was a pleasant surprise. (It's been 7 years okay!? Give me a break. Smiley)

Lisa came next with Dulaman, which was started with (I think) An Chailín Álainn, a lovely a capella song. Then she sang flirtatiously about seaweed.

Newgrange! Mairead's version sounds so much different than Orla's, but gorgeous nonetheless.

The Butterfly came next, with a different arrangement. The rest of the musicians got to show off, which was pretty cool!

The New Ground was next, and even though I knew IOH wasn't coming, my brain still expected it. Nope.

New version of Orinoco Flow! Can I tell you I absolutely love new arrangements? It keeps the music fresh.

Susan came out with The Moon's a Harsh Mistress. She introduced it as Jim Webb's, which promptly resulted in my dad mentioning Robert Heinlein. I had to tell him that Webb (probably) wrote the song, and confirmed it when I got home. She makes it her own wonderfully.

Then Amazing Grace. Oh highland bagpipes, I love you so. Then bam the singing of gorgeous cords. Everyone here knows how hard it is to imagine a new version of Amazing Grace, but we were pleasantly surprised by it in IOH.

Si Do Mhaimeo led by Mairead C, sounding quite different from Meav's. Oh harmonies.  

Then it turned into a percussion and dancing session, which was really different and interesting. A new idea to throw into the CW show, and I love it! I wonder how many times the kicking the box part had to be practiced before tour.

Then the TAR. The lovely TAR. The singing battle between Lisa and Mairead was as entertaining as it was when Chloe was still on board! Silliness is a good thing to throw into a show at times. Sadly at this venue the stage was up high, and no stairs going down so the girls didn't go down into the audience.

Intermission came too soon.

Mairead C. started the second half with I Know My Love where she could show off her voice in a solo of something that CW has never done before. The song itself is quite energetic.

Bridge Over Troubled Water came next. It was good until the very end. Lisa gave her thank you before the piano part was over! No!!!! Let the man finish first! Sad

Susan came next bringing on the new solo arrangement of The Call. Her powerhouse of a voice was a good choice for this one!

Nil Sen La starts differently with the percussionists and the choir doing their own thing before the girls come out. There always needs to be a partying song in a CW show, and this is a good one!

Granuaile's Dance came next, with Mairead running around like her normal energetic self. I still wonder how she does it without tripping to begin with, nevertheless with heels!

A new arrangement of Danny Boy came next. Still beautiful, but it didn't resonate with me like the other version.

Mo Ghile Mear started. I was rather disappointed, knowing that this meant the show was close to the end. I liked it more when this song ended the first act because I knew there was more to come.

You Raise Me Up was next. It had a really cool a capella bit in the beginning. Super bummed knowing the end was almost there.

The Parting Glass came next, which I think really is the best show ender. The bagpipe and singing ending were rather good.

The bagpipes didn't finish with The Parting Glass, but were joined by all of the musicians, including our lovely fiddler, who introduces them all. That was cool. I really wish they had done that for all of their shows. The dancers come out and Mairead introduces them too. Then the musicians start playing SDS/At the Ceili. It is sadly time for the bows.

As I always mention, the lighting was really, really cool. So CW was at The Township, and the other times they've been in Columbia it was at the Koger Center. Koger Center was always packed, but the Township wasn't. However, the Township has almost 2.76 times as many seats, so I'm pretty sure the audience was a lot larger than it could be at the Koger Center!  

The venue had floor seating and then it had balconies. I was glad I was in the balcony and I didn't have to spend the entire show leaning back to see the girls. It was a serious consideration when it came to getting tix. I am still in awe that Mairead N can play and dance around like she does, especially in heels. The venue had a decent amount of people in it, but it wasn't packed. The dancers and musicians really got to show off this time around. Yay!

I also miss having a capella songs, because none of them on this tour are a capella outside of what Lisa sang before going into Dulaman. The last time I saw CW live was during Believe, and Susan blends a lot better now than she did then. Everything I've heard out of Mairead C until yesterday was through youtube, and now I'm waiting for her to get a few brand new songs that will really fit her voice in future shows, and her CD! Mairead N was, as always, shocking to watch (in a good way). Seriously how in the world can she dance like that and still sound good playing?   Lisa's stage presence is as great as it has always been.
Ganconagh

Resistance is futile

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 07:08PM »

Dang!  What’d ya do:  take a pad and pen with ya to write down all the songs?  Cheesy  Excellent review, interesting perspective, and I agree:  that was just a great concert; and I really liked the blend of early and late material, too. 
  Did it seem to you as if the crowd needed a good dose of Geritol or something  Tongue ?  Responses were proper and appreciative; but there was no participation, clapping had to be prompted from the musicians on stage.  The ladies were working their bee-hinds off and never got more than a 5- or 6-person Standing-O until the end of the show (and then they seemed shocked  Shocked when so many did stand).  Well, a good thing about being one of the few who stood was being seen by the performer – and they do keep up with who responds  Wink
  I would like to have seen Lynn again; but Lisa Lambe is so special and has such a stage presence, I forgot about Lynn for a while.  I would like to hear Lynn sing “Bridge Over Troubled Water” though; and I hope she is practicing her spoons -- Lisa almost makes her spoons talk. 
  Susan has one of the smoothest voices I’ve ever heard, like honey.
  MaireadC is a fine addition and the more you hear, the more you wanna hear.
  MaireadN -- well, you already said it.
  Thanks for posting!

"Face piles of trials with smiles.  It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free."
littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

Mairead and Misha- Pixies!

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 01:39PM »

Thank you for a wonderful review . Hopefully I am able to do my show as much justice

MY REVIEW OF MY THIRD SHOW IS UP!

I MET LISA L, CHLOE, MAIREAD N, SUSAN,  MAIREAD C, LYNN, EABHA,  DAVID, SARAH/EDEL, CRAIG, NICK, RAY, ANTHONY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: