Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Call is Calling Strong... Chicago IL 3-16-14  (Read 10459 times)
littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

Mairead and Misha- Pixies!

« on: March 19, 2014, 06:24PM »

Pre-Show

Anyone who has followed closely my association with Celtic Woman knows that the Emerald tour was something I highly anticipated, due in part to an incredible stage door meeting following my very first concert on the last tour. That said, at first I thought the show was something that was not going to happen as the scheduled tour stop for Chicago mysteriously disappeared off of the published tour itinerary a few weeks after being announced. Later, I would learn that the reason for this is because Chicago's PBS station, WTTW, had initially reserved the entire theater's worth of tickets to use as pledge incentives for the spring pledge drive, with plans to release any unpledged for seats back to the Chicago Theatre for regular sale purposes. As soon as I figured out what had occurred, I pledged for a ticket but was not lucky enough to get an official meet and greet. Regardless, I knew that amazing things had a possibility of happening especially when Celtic Woman was involved.

Fast-forward four months from my pledge date to early March 2014. My ticket from PBS arrived, and I was irritated to learn that despite asking for an accessible seat from which to see the show, PBS had not paid attention or honored the request as promised. That being said, I had a fantastic seat assigned to me, a left side aisle seat three rows back in the main floor section. I wasn't quite sure how to resolve the accessibility issue, or even if I wanted to, given that I know in most theaters handicap seats tend to be very far back from the stage. With the way the Chicago Theatre is laid out, unlike the theater in Springfield I was at for the last tour, this would have made it very difficult for me to see. Despite some agonizing over this on my part, I eventually decided to compromise and take my manual chair to see the show, with my crutches attached to the back just in case I had to transfer and walk to my seat should they be unable to change my ticket.

The morning of my show started very early for me, as just like last year I was unable to sleep from excitement. I talked to Kevin via Skype for a couple of hours as he tried to calm me down and quell the anxiety that had risen along with my excitement, as I thought about the difficult logistical issue I would have to navigate. Adding to this anxiety was the fact that for the first time I was seeing a Celtic Woman concert independently, and not with a companion as I had last year. While I certainly didn't mind seeing the show independently, it made certain aspects of the event more challenging, such as transportation. Thankfully, I had thought ahead and scheduled cab rides the night before, being fully aware that it was St. Patrick's Day weekend after all, and Chicago takes this holiday extremely seriously. I showered and dressed in a light green T-shirt, black cardigan, black skirt, and comfortable black flats. I ran into CVS to get a few items such as a spare pair of gloves, and a couple Sharpies so that I would be prepared in the event that I was in a situation where an autograph was a possibility. I came home, transferred into my manual chair, made sure my purse was ready and had a quick breakfast of French toast hash browns and coffee before heading out.

Thankfully, I am lucky enough that Roosevelt University is only a few blocks from the Chicago Theatre and the cab ride was extremely short. The only downside to this was that the doors to the venue were not yet open when I arrived and so people were crammed into the foyer and waiting quite impatiently. It was here that I met up with Patricia and her sister, which turned out to be both pleasant and fortuitous. She readily agreed to assist me with navigation, and negotiating the ticket issue. A discussion with a house manager yielded a seat upgrade for me as they were able to pull removable chair out of the pit and place me front row on the left side of the stage. I was very excited about this, particularly because I had tweeted the girls the night before that I would be at the show and now not only would I get to see them, but I would be able to be seen in the audience despite the bright lights due to the closeness of my seat. Once I got settled, I was very impatient for the show to begin, and glad I had purchased a show program with which to occupy my attention so that the weight did not drive me insane. It wasn't long before the announcements with regard to theater safety and etiquette were broadcast and the lights dimmed. The show I had anticipated for so long was about to begin.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:55PM by littlecubspirit » Logged

MY REVIEW OF MY THIRD SHOW IS UP!

I MET LISA L, CHLOE, MAIREAD N, SUSAN,  MAIREAD C, LYNN, EABHA,  DAVID, SARAH/EDEL, CRAIG, NICK, RAY, ANTHONY!
littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 06:25PM »

Act I
As with every Celtic Woman concert, the lovely Mairead Nesbitt opened the show by appearing in shadow and playing the first few strains of what would become The Sky, the Dawn, and the Sun. For those wondering, there was no spoken intro as compared to past tour renditions of this number, which came as a bit of a surprise. Another slightly unexpected change was that this was revealed to be Lynn Hilary's first show back with Celtic Woman. At first, I was somewhat disappointed as I could've sworn Lisa had said she would be in Chicago, but just as I had kept an open mind with regard to Susan during the previous tour, I vowed to do so both with Lynn and the lovely Mairead Carlin. Surprisingly, it was Mairead Carlin's voice that I could hear most clearly during this number and for those of us who are concerned with her potential ability to fill Chloe's role as a power singer for the group, no longer need to worry. I really enjoyed getting to hear this song, though due to the stage designs the girls encounter on tour the choreography used was reminiscent of Awakening from last year's tour.

For the majority of the first act, the girls wore dresses in satin type fabric, with appropriately Emerald hues. As with the majority of the dress designs utilized, Mairead Nesbitt is the one whose dress deviated from the pattern displayed in the others. As pictures that have surfaced on the Internet have revealed, her dress was in a lighter shade of green and as usual had a thin skirt with a slit in the sides that facilitates for movement as well as a corset top. For anyone who knows Mairead’s history well, this can be taken as a visual pun, and a nod to her participation in providing the music for the Tinkerbell films. Each of the dresses that Lynn, Mairead Carlin, and Susan wore were similar in color and fabric as mentioned above, but embellished uniquely. For those that have seen the Emerald DVD, or saw last year’s tour, the veils that were attached to the dresses for the majority of the first act are also used in the show, and just as they were a purplish blue to complement last years dresses the veils have been remade out of the same gauzy material but using a green/Emerald palette.

Before I move on to the next song in my review, I think it appropriate to mention staging. Gone are the high risers and long staircases of past set designs, for a more minimalist approach. There are a variety of small platforms, some of which serve simply to ensure the musicians who back up the girls are visible to the audience. All of these platforms are covered in silvery gray material of a crushed velvet type of appearance, and if you have seen velvet you know that it has a natural grain meaning that it appears to have variances in shade between light and dark. This made for a wonderful affect when colored spotlights were projected onto the set. They were also hanging draperies of the same material used as a backdrop. Each of these draperies had a hole cut out of it the perfect size for a spotlight beam to be projected through and this effect was used several times in the show.

An Chailín Álainn/Dulaman- An Chailín Álainn is the name of the song which was placed as Dulaman's intro on the last tour. As this was Lynn's very first show in a long time, she was understandably nervous but once she got through the first few sentences of Dulaman, she seemed to settle into it nicely and begin to enjoy herself. I noticed that Lynn's version is definitely more toned down in terms of the flirtation aspect, and her interpretation of the choreography was not nearly as bouncy, or energetic, as Lisa's. That said, the song is certainly technically sound, the interpretation is simply just a little bit different. Lynn did engage with the audience while singing, and the tone of the song came across almost as conversational, though her attitude was more one of calm dignity, as befits a woman concerned with honoring suitors and deciding who to marry. Instead of playing the spoons as Lisa does during this number, Lynn simply leaned on Ray's shoulder as he drummed with his hands on the rim of his bodhran, using it almost like bongos. It was so interesting to be able to sit in the audience and compare and contrast the two versions of Dulaman I have been lucky enough to see.

Newgrange- Similar to Chloe's prolonged welcome that preceded Nocturne during last year's tour, Mairead Carlin welcomed the audience before beginning her very first solo number. Just as Chloe did, she thanked us for joining the performers to share a concert experience and commented on the fact that several of the numbers in the show are ones we might have heard before but that had a very different feel to them as they had been rearranged. Also true to form, she did ask if we were ready to have a good time, and surprisingly got a moderately enthusiastic response from the audience upon doing so. I only comment that I was surprised because up until this point, the audience seemed mostly lukewarm toward the production. Then Mairead C invited us on a journey back in time, 5000 years ago, to ancient Ireland. She painted an absolutely beautiful word picture of the sacred burial ground of Newgrange, just as light from the heavens on the winter solstice illuminated the inside of the structure. Of course, this is exactly the scene that the lyrics of the song also evoke, but by describing it beforehand she made sure that those in the audience who were not familiar with the significance of the monument understood the lyrics to the song and were able to establish a connection to it. Mairead's interpretation of this song is vastly different than Orla's. Orla's quiet, eerily ethereal rendition of the song aptly conveyed the mystery associated with the monument and the times in which it held great significance in Ireland. Mairead C used the strength of her voice to embody the magical power which was believed to permeate Newgrange. Once the lyrics concerning the beam of light had been spoken, a spotlight shone through several of the circular cutouts in the tapestries which served as the backdrop, helping to further set the scene.

The choreography here was extremely interesting to me, not to mention exciting. As some of you know on this forum, I am Wiccan. Wicca, and druidism, which the song refers to are closely related in that in fact the ancient faith of druidism influenced some of the practices used in modern Wicca. One of the ways a ritual is begun in my faith is to walk in a circle, around the projected beams of light, delineating sacred space. When Mairead C referred to the Druids, the choir responded by walking in a circle as though initiating the druidic ritual on the winter solstice that the song refers to. To put the style of this number simply, Mairead C narrated the scene portrayed in the song's lyrics, and the choir "acted it out" so to speak. It was visually stunning, technically sound, and extremely entertaining not to mention a beautiful and captivating rendition.

The Butterfly- I honestly wasn't sure how I was going to like this song when I found out that it was included in the set list. It's one that I've heard performed by Mairead so many times, via CD and DVD that I wasn't sure it would hold very much excitement for me. However, it has been rearranged just for the Emerald tour. The tune is still very much recognizable as The Butterfly, but Mairead has played around with the phrasing of the piece and improvised within the traditional melody. As I mentioned above, this was an incredibly reserved audience. Even with Mairead's encouragement to clap, they were hesitant. I felt so badly for Mairead who was trying to get us all to enjoy ourselves and have a good time, so I began clapping loudly and visibly in encouragement. Imagine my surprise when Mairead noticed, and when she realized it was me she immediately bent down the next time she came near and acknowledged my participation with a delightful little yelp of joy, a wink and a huge smile. One of the things that I love best about the way this number was choreographed is that it took advantage of Mairead's natural tendency and desire to move as she plays. There were little solos from the other musicians on stage during natural phrasing breaks in the song, and every time this occurred Mairead would flit over to the musician who had picked up the tune and join in for a moment before moving away again. In other words, Mairead became the titular butterfly. Clever pixie!

The New Ground-this particular performance is left largely unchanged from last year's tour. A lone spotlight illuminated Tommy on an otherwise empty and dark stage. Last year at my show Tommy seemed to be having an off day when it came to this number, but this year it was done flawlessly and the only word I feel can adequately describe the performance is haunting. Obviously, as most of us are aware this is an instrumental piece, and without lyrics to clarify its intended meaning and interpretation, it is difficult to know what the original composer intended audiences to take away from the piece when it was performed. However, this song not only sent chills up my spine, but I felt strong emotions/impressions rising within me as I listened to it. The most poignant of these was hope, which likely is a good indicator of why it was originally used by Celtic Woman as the lead in to Isle of Hope, Isle of Tears. But it was hope dampened with sadness, or perhaps more accurately the melancholy and weariness that accompany a long and difficult journey at the end of which the traveler only faces more uncertainty. Nevertheless, so beautiful!

Orinoco Flow- The thunder sound effect was muted/absent and I believe it was Ray and Andy that opened this one using drums and cymbals to great effect. As with last year, the choir sang the opening, followed by the girls' entrances. As the flight of steps on stage is noticeably shorter/less steep/less of a central piece of the set, all three girls came down enough for Craig and Nick to lift them the rest of the way, kicking prettily in midair as Susan did last time. Choreography for this number is pretty much unchanged from last year. The girls, Lynn included, looked really comfortable doing this number and gave themselves permission to just enjoy it.  Looks like that approach paid off, as this is one of the numbers that actually got a decent audience reaction. (Still wishing copyright issues hadn't prevented this from being released on the Emerald DVD)

The Moon's a Harsh Mistress- Susan gracefully made her way to the piano side of the stage. (Right in front of me!!!) There was what looked like a wooden barstool, painted black, which she pulled over to sit on. There was actually a small hiccup where the stool got caught on something as she pulled it over and she had to adjust it as it wasn't sturdy to sit on. Because the issue had been noticeable Susan laughed and said "My chair's gotten stuck, sorry". Having had a similar incident during a play I did in high school, I felt for her, though the gentle laughter from the audience seemed to put her at ease and make her smile and we applauded once she managed to get situated.  As per her usual, before beginning she expressed her gratitude to us for coming to the show and expressed her fondness for the song she was about to sing for us, while giving us a little bit of its history- a mention of original composer Jimmy Webb. I was absolutely mesmerized from the moment Susan began to sing. The rest of the stage was dim, the main lighting being spotlights which illuminated Brian and Susan beautifully. There was also a spotlight projected into one of the circular tapestry openings, to cause it to glow in such a way that it became a clear representation of the moon. The atmosphere was almost that of an upscale 1920's nightclub. It suited Susan's powerful and sultry rendition of this number amazingly well. It was performed with the some sort of power as Susan's "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" on the Home For Christmas DVD. I very much appreciated the difference in tone from Lisa Kelly's performance on the SFTH DVD. Firstly, once again it is nice to see an artist make a piece their own, secondly to be completely honest I simply didn't enjoy the song when Lisa did it. (Nothing against Lisa, the song itself simply didn’t evoke any sort of connection or particular enjoyment) Susan's version changed my perspective however and I was totally in awe by the end, so much so I was sitting there with a goofy grin on my face and it took me a minute to remember to start clapping. But clap I did!

Amazing Grace- not much has changed with this beautiful number and that's okay by me. I was just glad that unlike last year I was not sitting directly adjacent to where Anthony entered from, so my ears had a chance to adjust the sound of the bagpipes as he approached the stage and it wasn't nearly as overwhelming as it had been on last year’s tour. I was definitely disappointed in the audience when there was no applause for Anthony as he reached the stage because he definitely deserved it. It was absolutely breathtaking to be seated in the front of the theater and be able to turn around and watch Anthony's entire procession to the stage. As usual he was lit by a spotlight so that people could see what was going on and because I was looking back at him he seemed to almost be haloed by the light.  When the girls came onstage and began to sing, I almost instantly wanted to cry. I noticed the first verses being very gently intoned, which made the crescendo to the final verse even more majestic and breathtaking. It was absolutely beautiful. Being that this was a song that almost everyone in the audience at least knew, if not was able to have a personal relationship to, there was a significantly noticeable increase in applause at the end of this particular number.

Si Do Mhameo I- this was a duet between our two "new" girls, Mairead C and Lynn. The result was getting to see Mairead C playful and enthusiastic as she is in the music video for Let the River Run. Her Gaelic is incredibly crisp and clear, with pronunciation reminiscent of Lisa Lambe's, though the difference in her accent due to being from Northern Ireland became very apparent when her voice was paired with Lynn's. I LOVE her accent though. Both performers seem to really enjoy performing in Gaelic and it shows. It was interesting to have the element of harmony come into play as this was originally a Meav solo. Despite the addition of another voice on the melody, the back up from the male choir was loud and clear and deep and just…wow. The choreography was pretty static here, mostly just swaying in place. But it looked and sounded wonderful.

Drums and Dance - this was a new and exciting addition to the show and I was pleased to see that our newest choir member Nicholas Yenson is a worthy complement for Craig's skill. Craig began with a short segment of Irish dance, and then Nick came out to “challenge” him, and they traded off bits for a time, trying to one up each other. Eventually the number morphed into what I might call Riverdance meets Stomp, as Ray, Andy and Anthony brought out three boxes to sit on and drum a rhythm for Nick and Craig to dance to. Andy, interestingly, was playing bongos during this part, to provide another dimension to the rhythm. Then Craig and Nick incorporated the sides of the boxes as surfaces for which to tap off of and create a rhythm, before finishing the number with a show of synchronized speed, and bowing to thunderous applause. I think this was a fantastic new addition to the show, and represents a more thorough incorporation for various artistic methods of expression which are commonly associated around the world with the Emerald Isle. Thus, we continue to see the evolution of Celtic Woman offerings continue along the concert-show-spectacular spectrum so to speak. Well done to the creative team and performers for embracing such ideas.

Teir Abhaile Riu- There was a somewhat awkward and elongated pause in the program here as the girls underwent a costume change, in prep for TAR. Based on what I could overhear coming from backstage, there were problems with some of the microphones the girls were wearing, and they needed to get those resolved before continuing. The dresses for TAR were black, and still of the satin material utilized earlier. Around each of the girls’ waists was a sash of a different color, with a spiderlike black scrollwork/calligraphy pattern for embellishment. Sometimes simple and understated costuming is the best possible choice.

For those wondering how the interactive and improvisational part of TAR would look once Lynn took over for Lisa, here’s the rundown. The singing fight certainly still occurs, though in my venue the side aisles were not usable so the girls adapted by doing all of it on stage so that the audience could see and participate. Mairead Carlin is just as passionate of an actress when it comes to the singing fight, as Chloe was and her facial expressions are just as indicative of what is going on though as most of us know no lyrics are used other than what some might call a form of scat singing. Lynn, by contrast gives a very different performance as the errant sister than Lisa Lambe does. Rather than Lisa’s exaggeratedly in-your-face impossible to ignore rebuttals, Lynn’s portrayal is of someone who is steadfastly determined to do as she pleases, and demonstrates a dogged resistance to the idea of correction of her ways. She presents her characterization as someone who might choose her words wisely when speaking up, yet is no less vocal than anyone else when doing what she believes she should, regardless of what others may think of her motivations.

This was one song where Lynn’s inexperience with the material showed just a little, but it was clear that she was having fun from the very beginning. Once they reach the first chorus and the other girls were there to support her so to speak, she settled in and got caught up in the storytelling of the song, finishing a quite triumphantly by the very end. The onstage choreography, as far as the choir, Mairead, Craig, and the finishing pose of the song remains the same from last year’s tour/South Bend. The only noticeable switch is that on the verse where playing the spoons is mentioned, rather than Lynn doing so, Edel does. I was so glad they hadn’t made any major changes to the song for the tour, and was concerned there might have been in light of Lynn needing to step in for Lisa. I have a feeling this will be a favorite of Celtic woman fans for a long time to come.

Intermission

I meant to go out and get myself a shirt during intermission, as I had done last year but looking at the way they set up the majority of the merchandise in the lobby of the venue, made me realize that leaving my seat and pushing all the way uphill in my chair would be difficult to do in 20 minutes let alone wait in a line which had been set up in a largely inaccessible manner. Therefore, I remained in my seat during intermission and took a moment to tweet Mairead and thank her for the very obvious acknowledgment during The Butterfly. Patricia also came over to check on me and make sure I was okay, and we discussed how much we enjoyed the first half of the show. Once that was done I knew it would not be long until the show started again.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:26PM by littlecubspirit » Logged

I MET LISA L, CHLOE, MAIREAD N, SUSAN,  MAIREAD C, LYNN, EABHA,  DAVID, SARAH/EDEL, CRAIG, NICK, RAY, ANTHONY!
littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 06:26PM »

Act II

I Know My Love- To be completely honest, I was a little caught off guard when the show resumed as Act II began by jumping immediately into I Know My Love. This song was a solo for Mairead Carlin, and a new addition to the Celtic Woman repertoire. For those who are unfamiliar with the song, it is reminiscent in style of Lynn’s Carolina Rua. In fact, it could almost be seen as a mirror for it, as the lyrics concern a young woman, who believes her suitor has grown tired of her and wonders how to (re)kindle their love, with a profession of uncertainty over how to move on should he choose to leave her. There are moments in the song where the rhythm is accentuated through rhythmic clapping, and this is something the choir helped Mairead with. Everybody seemed to really have a wonderful time doing the song. And this song contained a special moment for me as well. On the fourth repetition of the chorus, Mairead C danced her way over to my area of the stage, and sang the chorus directly to me as though seeking my advice and counsel. When the chorus finished, she twirled away with a wink.

My Lagan Love-Initially, when it was announced that Lynn was taking over for Lisa, there was speculation over whether Lynn would be given Bridge Over Troubled Water as a solo, or if it would be substituted for something different. I am able to report that it was in fact substituted, using Lynn’s solo from Songs From The Heart, My Lagan Love. This song has never been a great favorite of mine, although just as in other instances, I found myself enjoying it in live performance. Perhaps it is because live performance makes songs come alive and seem organic, and the experience of sharing a song between performer and observer is an intimate and organic one as well. There was not really much choreography for this song, though Lynn Incorporated movement in order to better engage the audience and keep us a part of the performance. I thought the result was astoundingly beautiful and well-delivered, and I had chills rush up my spine at the final note.

The Call- The Call has become Susan’s second solo number for this tour. And she does a fantastic job. Susan introduced this song by giving the audience a brief idea of the message that the lyrics seek to convey, and it almost seemed rushed. Not rushed as in getting the words out so that you don’t forget them sort of rushed, but getting the words out so that you can move on to doing something which holds great excitement for you. It is clear that Susan feels strong connection with this song, as any performer might, since the lyrics describe the drive and motivation to pursue something which is fueled in different ways and for different purposes in all of us. The life of someone who chooses to make a career out of the arts may seem glamorous, but it is harder than it looks. It is not something to be undertaken frivolously and requires dedication and commitment. In other words, the person must feel that pursuing that life in those dreams is their calling. I would bet that this is Susan’s connection, and clearly she and the other artists associated with Celtic Woman have followed their callings admirably, even those who pursued it for a time but felt eventually called to other things.

I find that this song benefits from being rearranged as a solo piece. Especially as the lyrics are written in singular present tense. Susan does a fantastic job of setting a scene when she sings a song whose lyrics tell a story, and drawing the audience in so that we can visualize what she is. Her rendition started out timid, but as the drive to follow the titular call seemed to grow, her voice crescendoed as well and the end of the song seemed to represent the release and fulfillment which many people feel once they do in fact answer that call and engage with whatever ignites their passion. Once again seasons acting skills are at play, and they serve her wonderfully. Mairead accompanied Susan on violin during this piece, and enthusiastically led the applause following its conclusion. Once again, it is very apparent how deep the bond between the girls runs, and the lengths to which they will go to support one another are incredible.

Bodhran Solo- I was very pleased to see Ray appear alone on stage holding his bodhran, and begin to play. Though I know instrumental solos aren’t everyone’s thing, there is a reason I have fallen in love with this instrument. It becomes apparent when it is heard playing alone. To me, the bodhran’s sound is comforting, staccato and low like a heartbeat. Played quickly, it becomes apparent why its rhythm is the driving force for a lot of Irish music. Ray greeted each section of the audience and encourage us to clap along as he played, as well as doing his comedic bit where he makes the tipper seem to play the drum, though it is off the skin. In reality he’s striking the fingers of his other hand against the inside of the drum skin using symbols taped to his fingers to create the sound effect. The whole thing was received quite enthusiastically until he was interrupted by Mairead, signaling that it was time to begin…

Nil S’en La- The introduction here is unaltered from the Emerald DVD/last year’s tour, except for some small changes mostly related to incidental circumstances within the particular venue in which the performance was being held. As mentioned above, only the center aisle provided a route from stage to audience, so this is where the choir congregated to begin the number. Nicholas also joined Craig in dancing in the aisles, which was cool. Ray and Mairead were interrupted by Mairead Carlin, and it was Lynn who approached the edge of the stage to chastise the errant choir. Once they were back on stage, and had received the typical scolding the song began in earnest. The choreography and costuming were identical to what is seen on the Emerald DVD, though of course with the absence of Lisa Lambe, and substitution of Lynn, and the addition of Mairead Carlin rather than Chloe, the sound of the piece was slightly different.  That’s not to say that it sounded bad at all, and I couldn’t help thinking how fortuitous it was for Lynn that the year she chose to come back and fill in for a member who needed a break, a good chunk of the tour set list is lifted from what used to be Songs from the Heart/Isle of Hope. She seemed pretty comfortable despite slight changes to arrangement and choreography. She took Lisa’s solo bits, while Mairead took the lines that used to belong to Chloe. Everyone seemed to really have a great time with the song, and the level of enthusiasm made it sound even better. I was a bit surprised (I think the two Maireads may be trying to outdo each other in terms of energy level, and it becomes apparent in this song) The audience even managed to be roused out of their stupor enough to clap along.

Granuaile’s Dance- MY FAVORITE! From the time I discovered CW, this song has been my absolute favorite one, and Mairead KNOWS it (I told her last tour). Mairead did a bit of conducting with her bow in the beginning to signal the musicians to start things off, and to all appearances she could have been waving a magic wand to cast a spell. She moved among the musicians and played with them for a bit, and as she settled into the song, she focused on engaging the audience as she moved. It wasn’t long before her infamous impish look surfaced, and hyper drive was engaged. This is where the concert gets special for me again. Mairead raced over toward my side of the stage and found me in the first row as I was clapping enthusiastically, and knelt to acknowledge me with a huge smile and a nod. Then she seemed to start to spin away but chose to double back, where I spontaneously blew her a kiss which she acknowledged by winking and mouthing “Awww!” Then she raced back to center stage to finish the song, bow held triumphantly in the air as she did. And it was SHREDDED. Due to the size of the stage, Mairead could not do her customary leap at the end and chose to spin instead. For those who speculate that Mairead reacts to the energy and enthusiasm of the crowd as she performs, here’s your proof!

Danny Boy- Mairead Carlin’s voice led off a new a capella version of Danny Boy, with no preceding introduction. The girls came back on stage single file, almost in reverent poses, to gather at the center of the stage. The lighting was dim, with a wide spotlight illuminating the group, and the “complete package” of the staging, lighting, and music moved me to tears. There was an air of peace and respect that settled over the venue as they sang this well-loved ballad, and you could tell the act of performing this had definitely struck a chord with the girls as well. I absolutely love the purity and simplicity of this new arrangement, which highlights each of the girls’ talents admirably.

Mo Ghile Mear- This was a bit of a jarring shift after Danny Boy, though perhaps necessary to keep the melancholy from settling in too deep, and it seemed they were reiterating that there can be not only great sorrow, but also great hope and great joy. Not much of an intro, except the choir’s first lines, but the song was instantly recognizable. The long steep staircase being gone means that the girls simply stepped forward to sing when the choir parted. Imagine my surprise when during Susan’s line “Now the time has come to leave/Keep the flame and still believe” she sang right to me with a smile. Shortly after, Lynn was near me for the line “Know that I will sing to you/Each night as I dream of you” and this was also directed at me. Mairead directed the drum duet with her bow, and then launched enthusiastically into her own solo, for which I was surprised to see the other girls leave the stage. However this may be a result of this instrumental being so lengthy, and wanting the audience to know where to focus their attention (not that Mairead Nesbitt ever has trouble getting our attention). The girls came back for the final verses, sung triumphantly. But as this now very special song was concluded, I felt myself saddened by what I knew was the approaching end of the show.

You Raise Me Up- Similar to last year’s tour, there was an intro beforehand except that Mairead Carlin was the one who started it off, commenting about the strong connections Celtic Woman has to certain songs. Then Lynn took over and explained that this next song was written by an Irishman, but has since become well known and loved internationally, and Celtic Woman has been fortunate enough to perform it around the world. It was Mairead who took over then, and said that the girls felt lucky to have had that opportunity, and lucky to be able to sing it for us, finally introducing You Raise Me Up. This song was SO emotionally charged, despite the beginning starting off with little to no instrumentation but Mairead’s fiddle. All I can describe the sentiment as is humble or grateful, and that gratitude certainly became fervent when the second to last chorus was delivered in powerful crescendo. The lighting matched, dim at first, but then blossoming to fully lit, before reverting at the end.  I got chills when the final lines were sung, reverently and quietly. For once, the audience reacted with thunderous applause, and it took a few tries for Susan to settle us down and ask if we’d like one more song.

The Parting Glass-This song also had a lengthy intro as Lynn explained the history and traditions associated with it, and thanked us for being a wonderful audience. She then explained that they were singing this to send us on our way and wish us “goodnight and joy be to you all” although she flubbed the line and needed to ask Susan to help her, with an apology of “I’m new” (to which someone called out to welcome her back, and this only seemed to embarrass her further). She then spoke the first line of the old Irish blessing in both Gaelic and English: “May the road rise up to meet you” This song’s arrangement has been unchanged and that second verse with the bagpipes…just wow…. Unfortunately, it came to an end much too soon and the girls left the stage.

Encore- Then the musicians encouraged us to clap as they played an upbeat melody and after a few moments, Mairead rejoined us. She thanked us for coming, and played as she raced around the stage introducing the musicians with enthusiasm befitting something like a sports announcer. Quite funny.  As each musician was introduced they played a short phrase or two of music on their instrument, joined by Mairead. Then she introduced the choir members who came onstage one by one, followed by the girls, who took individual bows, and thanked us, wishing us a good night. Mairead Nesbitt then asked the musicians to “Take it away gentlemen!” The music morphed into SDS/At the Ceili, and there was a celebration of a show well done for a few moments, with waving, clapping, and kisses blown, before the final moments came to an end. Standing Ovation, the only one of the night except for a few brief ones that didn’t reach past the first two rows and then only in the center section.

With the exception of Nil S’en La, the girls were in the following outfits for the second act. Susan and Mairead Nesbitt both wore the dresses seen in the second act of the Emerald DVD. Mairead Carlin wore a dress of vibrant light green, almost an olive tone. The dress was simply embellished with beads in the bodice area. Lynn’s dress was of a coral color, cut to flatter her shape, with very few embellishments. All of the girls’ dresses stopped just above the ankle. For Mairead Carlin and Lynn, the dresses were of a light fabric which was thin, almost like you would see used for summer dresses for little girls.

After the show, Patricia came over to me, where I was sitting speechless just as I had been following my concert last spring. She showed me that during the very end of the show, Ray had given her his snare sticks! I expressed admiration (and a little jealousy) and she gave me one to keep, that even has his signature carved into it! Then she and her sister helped me get out of the theatre, and after a quick repositioning break I headed out a side exit to directly in front of the buses.

Before I get to that, I want to give my thoughts on the show as a whole. At first, the show was really disorienting, because I had been watching Emerald so much. However, once I reminded myself that this was a different show, and thus would be a different experience, I had a wonderful time. The music, of course, was outstanding and I am lucky that both of my shows have had such diverse set lists which have allowed me to experience live songs I’ve fallen in love with through the DVDs. Now I feel like I have a better frame of reference to comment on the DVD performances and understand the differences between what was taped, and how it looks live.

Now I can understand why diehard Celtic Woman fans are so excited when they manage to score front row seats. Not only could I see everything, just as I could last year, but the girls could see me and were close enough to interact. I also enjoyed being close enough to see and hear little nuances of the show that would be missed if you were sitting farther back. For example I could hear the performers’ singing/playing/dancing before the sound was picked up by the mics and projected through the speakers. In addition, I was able to hear what was going on backstage during breaks in the show, and see little things such as nonverbal encouragement the girls gave each other, and Mairead preparing herself to play after having a break. Getting that kind of acknowledgment and love was incredible, and people around me seemed almost to be jealous. Even though going to the show independently was a little scary, I am so glad I did. After last year, people wondered how I would top such a wonderful first concert experience. There’s no question, this blew it out of the water!

Mairead N- Lovely to see you again as always. Thank you for your energy, your love, your talent, and your friendship. You are truly one-of-a-kind and I’m so grateful that our paths crossed. I love you! I am still completely in awe of all you do, and you never cease to surprise and amaze me. Mischievous pixie!

Susan-The more I hear your voice, the more I fall in love with it. Once again, you took fan favorites which were originally performed by another artist, and made them your own. Thank you for being so kind, loving, and supportive of your fans. It’s obvious when I watch you perform that you love what you do. I admire your passion and your dedication. You’re incredible and I can’t wait to see you again soon.

Lynn- Welcome back, at least for a time, to Celtic Woman. I am so excited that I have finally gotten a chance to see you perform live. It was everything I thought it would be and more. You have a quiet strength and a beautiful rich voice which make your performances singularly unique, and enchanting to witness. Thank you for your grace, your talent, and your very endearing sense of humor. I wish you nothing but the best and continued success on every journey you embark upon.

Mairead C- Welcome to Celtic Woman. I have loved your voice ever since I heard it on YouTube and it was even more incredible live. Your youthful exuberance and passion for your craft are so very apparent, and I hope you remain with the group for a long time. Your fan base has already begun to grow, and having watched you perform, I can state with confidence that it is only going to get bigger. I hope you’re ready, for its sure to be a wild ride.

(Lisa- although you are currently not performing with the group I felt it necessary to include a message for you here. Firstly, safe travels to Ireland. Secondly, thank you for your incredible dedication, your wonderful hugs, your talent, and your love. So many who saw you perform on this tour were amazed by your performances and it is easy to see why. Your passion and unique brand of sparkle shine through in everything, and will continue to be a part of the spiritual tapestry of this tour in your absence. Come back to us safely and soon, dear Lisa. We miss and love you so.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:18PM by littlecubspirit » Logged

littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 06:26PM »

Stage Door

Thankfully, the exit I went out of to get to the buses was already at ground-level preventing the stair challenge that had made last year so difficult. As it was extremely cold, at around 20°F, I was one of the only fans out there. This made me feel incredibly awkward about choosing to go to the buses, but I had a feeling that if I abandoned the idea now, I would be kicking myself for the rest of the night.

The first person I actually saw was Sarah Gannon, walking with new choir member Nick and I called out to them. I explained to Sarah that I had enjoyed the show immensely and wanted to introduce myself. As soon as I did, she recognized me, commenting that we had communicated back and forth quite a bit via twitter. She also associated me with the cover of Galway Bay that I did about a year ago, and said she was glad to finally meet me and get to tell me that she listens to it, and thinks my voice is absolutely gorgeous. She made me promise to never stop singing. She seemed a bit surprised when I asked her to sign my program, but did so graciously. She gave me a quick hug, and then dashed off to presumably get something to eat with Nick. Before she left though, she advised me to wait if I wanted to say hi to the girls, as she thought they would be excited to see me.

Shortly after her, Edel was the next person I saw, and when I called out to her she came over immediately. I introduce myself, and she too recognized me. We talked for a moment about how much I had enjoyed the show, (once she got over being surprised that I was willing to wait in that sort of cold weather to see everyone) and I thanked her for taking the time to talk with me, getting a hug from her before she went inside the bus to get out of the cold.

There was a bit of a delay as activity outside the buses slowed for a time, and I allowed my thoughts to wander while I waited. All of a sudden, a soft masculine Irish lilt pulled me out of my thoughts. The first thing that occurred to me was, “hey, I know that voice” and I looked up in surprise to see none other than David Downes. He asked me if I was waiting for someone, and I explained that I was hoping to see and congratulate the girls on a wonderful performance. He cautioned me that they could be inside a while, particularly because the preshow meet and greet had been moved to after the show due to a scheduling conflict with the venue. He seemed very concerned about me waiting outside in such cold weather given that I was rather inadequately dressed. However, I assured him that I am a Chicagoan and barely felt the cold. He smiled at that, and introduced himself, as did I. I told him I was very excited to have met him, and wanted to thank him and tell him how much I appreciate the hard work that he does, and the music he creates for all of us. I let him know briefly that the songs have gotten me through some very difficult times and been a lifeline for me when I needed them. Not only did David listened intently, he told me explicitly that it had meant a lot to him that I thanked him and told him how I felt. After ensuring one last time that I was all right, he disappeared into the bus, but not before telling me to enjoy seeing the girls. To be honest, before this moment I had felt a little strange waiting alone by the buses and wondered if it might seem like I was asking too much. I felt much better once David made it clear that he understood what I was doing, and that I had his approval.

A few minutes later, the girls finally emerged. First came Mairead and Susan. Susan smiled at me but seemed to be extremely cold, and was rushing to get into the warm bus. I returned her smile and decided I would simply tweet her when I got home.

Mairead on the other hand, was who I called out to as they approached, and she responded with an enthusiastic cry of my name. She dropped the suitcase she was dragging and ran over to give me a hug. She, like just about everybody else, was extremely concerned about me sitting outside that long in the cold but I reassured her quickly. She then disappeared inside the bus to put her stuff down.

I wondered who would come next, and was rewarded not long after by the appearance of Mairead Carlin. I called out to her and she came over to say hi, asking me if I enjoyed the show. I told her I had and she waved the choir members who were with her on and knelt down to talk to me. I introduced myself, and she remembered our brief conversation on Twitter a few months before, commenting that she was grateful for my kind words, and that she knew who I was. She expressed her surprise over seeing me waiting for them, and I explained in detail about the promise I had made the previous year. Her eyes filled with concern, as a told her all I had been through. However she lit up like a Christmas tree when I was able to tell her that meeting the girls last year, combined with the promise that was established between us had helped me to heal immensely. I told her specifically that I had not self-harmed since the promise was made, had been eating regularly, and had got my ticket to see the girls again as promised as soon as they had become available at the end of last year. She smiled, and told me she was proud of me for being so strong. Then she was kind enough to sign my program, and actually told me that she wanted me to renew the promise, this time with her inclusion in the deal. ? I agreed, and promised to tweet her, since I had already told her that tweets from the girls have helped during the times I am not able to see them/they are not in the United States. When we finished talking she went over to the best to put her stuff away.

The next person to emerge was actually someone I did not expect to see at all. It was LISA LAMBE! She was already turned toward me when she came out of the stage door and we made eye contact right away. I called out her name excitedly, and she responded with mine. She rushed over and wrapped me in the biggest hug so far, commenting on how cold I was. She revealed that she had in fact gotten to watch the show from up in the sound booth, and instantly I felt much better. Lisa had been close to me the whole time and I hadn’t even known it, but it brought me comfort in hindsight. It was really cool to think that we had in fact seen the same show from the same perspective, a little bit of a blurring of the line that typically exists between artist and fan. She had enjoyed the show just as much as I had. She asked what I was doing there, though not unkindly, as she was concerned about me. I told her simply that I had no intention of breaking my promise to her and the others, cold weather or not. She asked how I was doing, and he gave her an update including my regular eating, and lack of self-harm in addition to filling her in on the fact that I have gotten back to attending college full-time and am doing very well. Moments later, Maggie came out and called Lisa’s attention to two other fans that were waiting to speak with her and present her with gifts. I was pleased to note that Maggie did not seem to mind at all that I had waited to visit with the cast and crew. As soon as their interaction began, I backed away to give them at least for some privacy but as soon as Lisa saw the movement out of the corner of her eye she brought me closer again and insisted I join the conversation, holding my hand.

After a few moments, the other fans asked her about her break from Celtic Woman, and what she thought the future looked like. She was very quick to set the record straight officially as to the reason for her departure. She said she could understand how the fans might think it was the new play she was cast in that caused her to need to take a break, but that in reality she felt the need to return home to Ireland to spend some time with her parents who are in their 70s. It’s clear that family is very important to Lisa. She also highlighted the need to spend some time with Simon, her wonderful husband. She said that her new play is simply something she is doing to ensure she has some source of income while she is home in Ireland, and because she feels the need to keep busy. In other words, she said, she can’t keep away from the arts for long. The next logical question was whether or not Lisa will be returning, and she answered that with a resounding yes. She told us in no uncertain terms that her heart lies firmly with Celtic Woman and its fans, and she has absolutely no plans to leave the group on a permanent sort of basis. This is in fact why she made the deal she did with Celtic Woman Limited to allow her to take breaks as necessary so that she would not become so overwhelmed and burnt out that she needed to permanently leave the group. Perhaps it is just Lisa’s bouncy, energetic nature, but I think it might be entirely possible that she is as excited about the future of Celtic Woman as we are! We asked her when she was leaving for Ireland, and she indicated that her plans were to get one last dinner with the girls before they left for St. Paul that evening leaving her in Chicago to catch her flight out of O’Hare the following morning. Of course, we all hugged her and wished her safe travels

As Lisa began to turn away, I got her attention and told her there was something I wanted to show her. She had a very expectant, mischievous look and I pulled my Celtic Blessing Tipper out of my bag. I explained that it had been made for me just after my very first Celtic Woman concert, where I had met her the previous year, and that it had been inspired by her introduction to The Parting Glass. She smiled and asked me whether I wanted her to sign it for me, and when I said yes she did so excitedly. After that, she bent down and took my hands and told me how proud she was that I had managed to keep my promise, she reminded me how strong and how beautiful she thought I was. She squeezed my hands and told me I had to make the promise again, just as I had last year. She also told me to make sure I tweeted her because she wanted to know how I was doing. Then she said that as soon as I was done seeing everyone, she wanted me to promise that I would go and get warm. I did, and she gave me one last hug before hurrying to the tour bus.

Lynn had come out of the stage door while I was talking to Lisa, but was greeting people who she knew professionally, so I did not want to interrupt. She saw that I was waiting and said hello, and once her friends had left, she came over and I told her that I had been hoping to meet her. I introduced myself, and she clasped my hand in greeting, and then I told her how very much I loved both of her CDs, particularly Saturn Return and how excited I had been to get her newest effort on iTunes a few days earlier. I was shocked to hear her genuinely seem surprised that my praise for the album, and she stated that she was very grateful to give me say I enjoyed it, as she hadn’t thought anyone would actually bother buying it, and had questioned whether she should make it at all. She also pointed out that it is very different from her largely Traditional/Celtic offerings on Take Me with You. I told her that even though it was different, I didn’t see that as a bad thing and honestly had loved the album. She explained to me that she had wanted to do something different, and more pop oriented. I reiterated that it hadn’t bothered me for the second album to be different, and in fact I respected that choice as it showed her desire to grow as an artist. I also pointed out that the fact that she had done so well with the album and it was so enjoyable, meant that she was a versatile artist, and that is something to be proud of rather than apologizing for it. I commented to her that I often used her music as a welcome distraction as I walked to class in the mornings, and she smiled. I told her that if I’m not listening to that, it is typically something Celtic Woman related. At this point in the conversation we were interrupted briefly by Craig, who wanted to say hello, and Lynn introduced me. I said hello back and told him how much I enjoyed the show, for which he thanked me. Then, once he realized we had not finished talking, he told Lynn that he would be in the bus and just to come over when she was ready.

Once Lynn turned back to me, I also revealed that I had occasionally set her songs as alarms and she was interested to know which ones I have used. When I told her, she commented that it sounded like I was using songs whose rhythms, lyrics, or just overall feel would be enough to catch my attention right away. (The example song I had given her was Wasteland, a song from Saturn Return which is rhythm heavy, and also rather aesthetically different from the other offerings on that particular CD) Also mentioned where songs like Dulaman, Awakening, The Call, and Sky Dawn Sun. Then, believe it or not she shared a few artists that she enjoyed listening to… We may have been artist and fan, but in that moment we were simply two people sharing our love of music. It was an absolutely wonderful feeling. Lynn asked me if I would be coming to another show this tour, and I told her that unfortunately it didn’t look like that would be possible due to the fact that travel is very difficult for me as a disabled person. She said she understood, but hoped that we might cross paths in the future, and I expressed the same hope. Then, she went into the bus to get out of the cold.

By this point, I thought I had finished seeing everyone, and turned to make my way back to the front of the theater, where my taxi cab would pick me up. I heard a noise behind me, in the direction of the buses and turned to see what it was, only to realize that it had been Mairead Nesbitt closing the door of the bus, and heading presumably to get something to eat or drink. She was walking in my direction, and as she saw me she called out my name, and then yelled “BYE MISHA!!!” Realizing she might want to say a proper goodbye for now, I stopped to let her catch up. She wrapped me in yet another hug, very tight. She knelt down next to my chair and took my hands, telling me that she was so glad I had come to the show and that it had been lovely to see me. When I again responded simply with, “I wanted to keep my promise”, she smiled. She asked me specifically whether I had self-harmed, and whether or not I was eating. When I told her that I had kept the promise by ceasing my self-harm, and eating regularly she told me she was very proud of me and commented on how wonderful it was to see me looking, in her words, well and healthy. I thanked her and she told me that since I had done so well, she was renewing the promise with me as of that moment. I told her I understood and we hugged once more. Just before she walked away I told her how grateful I was that she had taken the time to keep in contact with me via Twitter. She smiled and when I asked if I should tweet her, her response was please do. She told me she loved me and to stay strong before walking away, but calling over her shoulder. “Bye darling, mind yourself love!”

It was at this point that my impromptu meet and greet ended, as I walked away to wait for my taxi. Once again I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of love and support I was given. Certainly, it was extremely cold outside and the girls could have told me they weren’t able to talk. I chose not to ask any of the girls to take pictures with me because I understood that they were already going well above and beyond. After all, I don’t think even pictures would do this experience justice, as they can only capture fixed moments and only show visuals. This ran so much deeper than anything that a picture could have encapsulated.

If you’ve actually managed to read this entire review, kudos. I thought about condensing it, but wanted to give as complete and detailed an account of what occurred on this incredibly magical day as I could. I also find myself going back and reading my reviews and stories of interactions with the girls when my anxiety and depression threaten to take hold. I wanted to make sure every last moment was written down to allow me to slipas seamlessly into this wonderful memory as possible whenever I need to.

As always, I am incredibly grateful to the cast and crew/creative team of Celtic Woman. You put on an incredible show as always. Thank you for all the love and support you’ve shown me. Thank you once again for treating me with the utmost dignity and respect. I appreciate the time you allowed me to share with you on this very special occasion.  Rest assured I will continue to support you in every way I can, including keeping my newly renewed promise.

“May the road rise up to meet you,
May the wind always be at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
And the rain fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand”

“So fill to me the parting glass,
And drink a health, whatever befalls.
I’ll gently rise and softly call,
Good night and joy be to you all”
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:25PM by littlecubspirit » Logged

littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 06:27PM »

My direct view of the stage- no zoom used.

My view of the stage, with audience to provide reference

View of the vacant Emerald Set

View of the vacant Emerald Set again

The souvenirs

The Emerald Show Program

Sarah Gannon’s signature: “Lovely to meet you Love, Sarah xxx”

The inside cover of the Show Program

Mairead Carlin’s signature: “Slainte Mairead Carlin”

Celtic Blessing Tipper signed by Lisa Lambe: “<3 Lisa Lambe xxx”

Ray Fean’s drumstick with his signature carved into it

Tweet sent to the girls the night before my show

Official tweet about the Chicago show sent out by Celtic Woman Ltd.

Tweet I sent to Mairead Nesbitt at intermission. Retweeted and favorited!

Thank you tweet sent to Mairead Nesbitt

Thank you tweet sent to Lisa Lambe

Thank you tweet sent to Lynn Hilary

Thank you tweet sent to Susan Mc Fadden

Thank you tweet sent to Mairead Carlin

Thank you tweet sent to David Downes

Thank you tweet sent to Sarah Gannon

Thank you tweet sent to Edel

Thank you tweet sent to Craig Ashurst and Nicholas Yenson
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:58PM by littlecubspirit » Logged

AggieGuy
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 06:52PM »

Misha, I will read and respond to this, but right now, I am trying very hard not to spoil myself until my show next month.  Other than the set lists, I have tried to avoid all spoilers.  Plus, once I've seen the show, I can make a much more informed reply.

I did read the "after the show" part and I am very glad you had such a good time.
White Rose
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 07:19PM »

Way better than my review.  Grin

Glad you had a blast! I noticed the choreography bit in New Grange too, but I didn't mention it in my review.
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 07:29PM »

Great review, Misha--and yes I did read it all-- you sound almost as surprised that someone would as Lynn was to hear someone had bought her new album!  That does sound very "Lynn".

You answered all my questions about how the show would be conducted with Lynn's introduction into the cast at this point, which was my major interest.  I've seen Emerald three times and wondered how it would now differ with Lynn in it. 

You did a far better job in describing the dresses than I could do--I guess I takes a woman to do justice to the topic!  Cheesy I felt it was important to describe just how beautiful their show dresses are in Emerald, but I couldn't really do it!  Embarrassed

My reaction was the same as yours in being a bit taken about the strength of Mairead C's vocals--not the least bit tentative.  Her acting in TAR was very impressive too, I thought.

I'm glad you got such a great post-show experience with so many of the cast!  It does make the wait in the cold worthwhile!  The girls certainly recognized you from Twitter!

It will be a few more weeks before my next shows which will include some M&Gs with Lynn, whom I have not seen or spoken to since October 2010.  I will be able to see first hand the imprint of her style on the show which you so ably described.  I do believe the exchange Lynn had with you put her much at ease following her first show back with Celtic Woman, making the subsequent shows come with less anxiety, I'm guessing.

Great job!  Thanks for sharing this experience and your impressive insights with us!  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 07:39PM »

Great job!  Thanks for sharing this experience and your impressive insights with us!  Smiley Smiley Smiley
I'll second that.  Great job!  I KNEW you would have a good time. Wink
John910

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 09:00PM »

Great review!!!!

I especially liked the stage door part.

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 09:20PM »

Brilliant   recounting !    TY  for  taking  the  time.   Cool

urbanracer34
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 09:40PM »

Great review Misha. Yes, I read it all, and thanks for taking the time to make it so detailed. Wink

Mine will follow in a few days, albeit not as detailed. Cheesy

I'm Jerad. Smiley
CWazy since 2012!
CompTIA A+ certified, Long time Apple product user.

Banner by Kirstie. Thanks! Smiley
Bagboy

Gee, I wish I was Irish!

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 10:10PM »

Misha, I thought your review of the Springfield show last year was an excellent effort for a first-timer, but this one  just blew me away!!! Your perception is super, and your ability to recall and convey your thoughts is outstanding. I'm so happy that your second show was even better than your first, but I have found that every one I've attended has been better than the one before. 

I was lucky enough to be with you at the informal post-show M&G last year at the stage-door, and thought that wouldn't  soon be duplicated, but your perseverance at trying again sure paid off big time! You were rewarded for keeping your promise by meeting almost everyone in the cast, and even David Downes! Lisa Lambes appearance  must have been the frosting on the cake!  Once again, thank you for your excellent presentation of your second concert and post-show experience, and I know you will have the warm memories of that to keep you strong to allow you to keep your promise until you see them again.

Take care and stay strong,  Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin   

Anyone who loves Celtic Woman and Meat Loaf can't be all bad!
Banner by MLB! Thank you Smiley
Traveling Spaceman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 10:49PM »

Great review, Misha. Thanks for all the time, effort and obvious passion you put into it. Made it come alive.

I just don't know how you remember all those details. When I'm at a show, I'm in such an awed trance, that it's hard for me to remember my name afterward.  Cheesy

Thank you Chiara for my beautiful banner. Smiley
Tiffany Gray
Honorary Roadie

I love Celtic Woman and soft sweaters.

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 11:24PM »

That is awesome Misha! I'm so glad you had fun. They are awesome people, the whole CW team! And I'm so glad you kept your promise, and renewed it! Just so awesome! And I never met Lynn but wow she seems sooooooooo sweet!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: