Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sacramento Thoughts  (Read 2564 times)
tchristina23

« on: April 06, 2014, 06:17AM »

Thoughts on Celtic Woman show in Sacramento CA
March 28, 2014

When the tickets came on sale back in November I asked my niece about a deal if I bought us ticket so attend the concert in her city. I think she jumped at the chance cuz NO ONE ever comes to visit her. So tickets were purchased in November and the countdown begun. Row C, isle on right side. I was happy with that.  Weeks before the concert I communicated with two other people that said they would be attending the concert and made dinner reservations at DeVere’s Irish Pub for 5 of us.

Day before the concert we drove by the venue atleast 3 times, just getting our grip on how far away the Pub was, where we could park and if the busses had arrived yet.

Concert morning was spent at the zoo with little Lu. Perfect activity. After picking Moe up from work we drove by the venue one more time (it is only 3 blocks away so why not) Yes busses had arrived. Was sad to see that the busses nor the trucks had a Celtic Woman sign on them.  Then lunch back at the apartment(homemade mac-n-cheese…YUMMY)

Left for dinner about 5:15. We were the first to arrive at Pub. Waited just a few minutes for the other 3 to arrive. None of us had met each other so it would be all new friends for all of us. Shortly after I approached a couple, and yes it was them, and just behind them was Dan. So now seated at our table were Dan, Steve & Linda Maloney, Amber and myself. It was a pub and therefore noisy, but service was good. Actually the waiter knew which concert we were attending, we probably weren’t the only ones there for it. I thought the food was very good. Dan and Steve and Linda are all from parts of CA so I was the only “out-of-stater” there. We had nice conversation learning that they had went to Ireland and seen the filming at Powers Court. Linda even shared her scrapbook of the trip, which I love because I too am an avid scrapbooker. Oh the damage we could do on Celtic Woman concert pages for our books. None of them had been reading reviews so I had to keep my mouth shut on feelings and what I had heard would be happening. Finished dinner close to 6:30 and all went out own ways to walk up to the venue. The venue, Memorial Auditorium, was only about 3 blocks for the pub, so that worked out perfectly.  Steve and Linda had M&G’s.  We didn’t have to wait very long before the doors opened. We went in and just to the right was the merchandise table, so we stopped. I was glad to see they had about 3 shirts to offer people and not just the one I had seen pictures of. I purchased a program and the CD/DVD combo. The theatre it quite pretty. Floor seats didn’t go all the way back because those people wouldn’t be able to see over anyones head. We had one photo taken from the back with the stage and theatre arch behind us. We found our seats and waited. After I saw Steve in the front row I went up to see how the M&G went. They were very pleased with it. He showed me one photo they took with a cell phone and it turned out really nice.

Okay have to tell you that I was having apprehensions about this concert. My heart belongs to Chloe, so this would be the first concert I was attending without her there. I DID NOT like the thought. I wanted to go in giving Mairead a fair chance, but I don’t think I did.
I was excited to see Lynn perform live because I had seen her on the DVD’s but never live.  Not going to go through every song because I can’t remember my thoughts  and feelings on all of them.
And this was Amber’s first CW concert. She knew I was a big fan and I had sent her youtube clips before of different things, but I need you to remember her spectrum of music is all over the place and does not focus on one type of music. She did say she was looking forward to watching Mairead play the violin the most.

The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun…. I like this one. I am glad they brought it back because it has a very catchy tune and I had never seen it performed live. (yes, I did sing the ladadada…….. parts where Hayley would normally come it because you CAN NOT help but sing that line)

Dulaman….People were wondering if Lynn would be able to shine with this song after Lisas rendition of it, but I quite liked Lynns interpretation of it.

Amazing Grace…… normally this song is just a so-so song for me, but this night it really tugged at my heart. Not to make me emotional, but usually I try mouthing all the words to it and tonight I was just mesmerized and had to watch and listen. I think that could have been listening to the different harmonies on it, but not sure, but I think it ended up being my favorite song of the night.

The Butterfly……Mairead was shoeless, and it was nice how she showcased each musician. (kind of went up and played close to each of them)

Ray’s special…… I think this got the most audience participation. He even came down off the stage and asked each section how we were, then went back up on stage and asked the balcony “How ya doin way up there?”.

The Call……Susan put her own take on this song. Not sure I loved it, but it is probably just that we need to get used to her interpretation of it. Was not bad, but I usually mouth the words with Lisa K and not knowing how Susan sang it I couldn’t do that. (it frustrates me when I can’t  mouth words. It is the only way I get to be a star)

Nil Sen La…… Was fun. I had read reviews so I knew a little what to expect.

Craig & Nick Dance off……… the audience seemed confused on this. They clapped after every tap stop, like they thought it was the end of the duel. Personally I like Craig better because I think he can get higher. Those are some FAST  FEET!

Pre La-da-dee of Teir Abhaile Riu……reading reviews ahead of time I had an indication that Lynn and Mairead would start in the audience. I had read that Lynn was a little “shy” about her part of this. Well one guy in the audience changed that. We hear the La-da-dees and turn around to find this guy walking down the aisle with his child (guess he had to take the 3 year old out to the restroom or something). This was the aisle that Lynn would walk down. She kind of followed him down, stopped at the row he scooted in and La-da-deeeeeeeed him the entire time. (more like a scolding, not a pick you up and take you to the pub tonight kind of a thing.) Those of us that understood the purpose of the La-da-dees found it kind of funny. Wonder if he will take his child out and come back in during a song again.

Amber’s favorite part was the 2nd act song of Mairead N when she goes “wilde” and breaks the bow strings.

Glad I have a 2nd concert this month so I can listen better and maybe not get distracted by all the “other” stuff happening on stage. And so I can focus more on Lynn’s voice instead of her actions and movements during her solo songs. Maybe it will also allow me to give Mairead C. a fair shot at this thing. (I love her youtube of Scarlet Ribbons, so I know she has a great voice)
Maloney
Featured Soloist

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 09:58AM »

We had such a good time.  Thanks for sharing the night and your thoughts.

=)  yes!! We got to go ! 
Then there was Atlanta !
Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 11:09AM »

Thanks for the nice review.  This just adds to my anticipation of my upcoming shows.

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
Traveling Spaceman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 08:04PM »

Loved the story about Lynn "scolding" the guy walking down the aisle. That's awesome. Wish I could have seen it. Those one-time occurrences are what makes a particular show special.  Smiley

Thank you Chiara for my beautiful banner. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: