Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Christmas Celebration DVD - Let's hear the reviews  (Read 60164 times)
KiernanKate
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2007, 06:36PM »

This just in............

I HAVE MY DVD!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Siobhan
Total Fanatic

Everywhere you go, let your dreams surround you

« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2007, 06:37PM »

YAY Erin!! Have you watched it yet!?

When you think of me
sing a heart-spun song
When it's over,
sing it once more.
When you dream of me
dream when I'll meet you
on that distant shore.
KiernanKate
« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2007, 08:12PM »

OMG I have never enjoyed a DVD more than the one I just saw tonight...... can you guess which one?Huh

CW Christmas!!!!!  Let it Snow........ Ive never laughed so hard in my life!!!!

I almost made it through the song but .....yea not quite after that one spoken line!
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2007, 11:00AM »

I think the first day ...I watched it 4 times. I even took the portable dvd player in the car wtih me. Grin

JamieLew

« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2007, 08:31PM »

I just watched it!  Smiley

Everything was beautiful and wonderful but here are some notes:
- Lisa is so tiny!
- I love all the shots of Helen and Lisa together.
- I love how the solo cello player looks like Severus Snape from the Harry Potter series.
- I love all the extra shots of the musicians in this production... and I love the greater usage of melodic percussion instruments.
- The cinematography was great- I especially loved that shot of Lisa in the reflection of the piano.
- The really large chorus kind of scared me... they popped out of no where!

It's such an amazing concert! My favorite song is Let It Snow. Smiley

Maggie
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2007, 11:27PM »

I watched it again a couple of hours ago.

Of course each time you watch, you notice more little things.

The first time I saw it, I thought Lisa looked particularly happy and radiant.....now we now why.
I am full of admiration for her.....remembering how I felt the first few weeks of pregnancy.....I went off coffee, couldn't even stand the smell of it..... I hope Lisa doesn't go off her Starbucks!

Little Drummer Boy is still one of my favourites......the men in the chorus are brilliant....they sound like the Monks of Glenstall Abbey. They are chanting in Latin "Puer natus est nobis filius Dominum est."
(A boy is born to us, and a son is given to us, who is the Lord.)
That may not be exactly right, but those are the words I recognized.
Ray Fean is awesome! Love the way he smiles when Chloe sings "Then he smiled at me....."

« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 11:14AM by Maggie » Logged
penguin laminating device

« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2007, 10:45AM »

I was recently able to watch the Christmas Celebration DVD for the first time after a delay caused by a clerical error at the Glosybardfark Indoor Dryer Vent Lint Installation Company and Christmas DVD Emporium. This error resulted in my DVD being delivered to the Cochranese Pleateau located deep in the heart of the Amazon Rain Forest. Their customer service folks were able to trace the package but were unable to send another DVD as they were all sold out.

Determined to get the precious musical treasure, I visited every adventurer and survival expert I could think of, but none were willing to venture into that particularly remote area of the Amazon jungle. A brainstorm hit me as I was driving home from work one day. I saw that Zarnynoble's, the local ice cream and frozen dessert makers were having a clearance sale on dulaman flavored popsicles. I bought all 6,000 and ate them over the course of several days. I thought they actually weren't bad, but not quite as good as Zarnynoble's rutabaga or turnip ripple.

I lashed the popsicle stick into a huge diving board affair and took it to the highest mountain in New England, Mount Washington. I secured it to a ledge about halfway up the mountain side then proceeded to the summit. Once there, I jumped down on to the huge diving board, which then catapulted me on my to the Amazon jungle and my copy of the Christmas DVD.

Unfortunately, I began to loose altitude off the South Florida coast. I thought what a way end up..."catch of the day" at a hammerhead shark's version of Denny's...without ever seeing that new Celtic Woman musical masterpiece. Fortunately I fell into a flock of parrots which had escaped from their rich collector owners. I informed the parrots of my plight. Luckily for me the parrots were also devoted Celtic Woman fans. They had all seen the first two specials on their owners' televisions and knew all the songs by heart. It was thus that I came to complete my journey to the remote reaches of the Amazon jungle accompanied by 65 parrots singing "Panis Angelicus" in harmony. It would be more than a slight understatement to say that their rendition came no where near matching Chloe's moving performance of the song on the Christmas DVD.

We were soon sucked into a temporal vortex while flying through the Bermuda Triangle. We found found ourselves outside a theater in Ireland just as the Celtic Woman cast was entering for rehearsal of some songs that were new at the time including "Spanish Lady." The parrots, being great fans of the ladies, decided to smuggle themselves into the rehearsal inside some of the instruments.

The parrots were able to restrain their enthusiasm until the group began singing "Spanish Lady."  The ladies, being consummate professionals, continued singing while "AWCK  Spanish Lady, AWCK ," "AWCK, Wash those feet baby, AWCK" could be heard emanating from inside several cellos, and a french horn exclaimed  "AWCK, look that bassoonist has a box of crackers!"  The choreographer came into the theater just in time to see the baffled  ladies making shrugging motions to David and the orchestra while singing and shouted "I LOVE IT!!!" This is how I came to witness the origins of the now-famous "Spanish Lady" shoulder move.

Just then there was a loud thunder clap and suddenly the parrots and I found ourselves returned to our own time and our journey to the Amazon. Several days later we spied a parachute tangled in a tree. Attached to the parachute was the long sought after Christmas Celebration DVD!!! We wandered through the jungle many days until coming upon a large, rude hut which, upon further inspection, turned out to a Best Buy store! The parrots and I disguised ourselves as a door-to-door nature documentary and proceeded to the home theater section where we watched the DVD on a large, rude large screen TV with Surroundsound. 

The parrots and I looked at each other and said "who's choppin' onions!" during "Don Oiche Ud i Mbeithil"  and "Christmas Pipes." We all enjoyed the new song "Green the Whole Year Round." Watching and listening to Meav during "Let it Snow" we all ended up hoping she does a CD of Jazz tunes at some point. The other ladies were great too, epecially Chloe dance and the "Mairead speaks"monet at the very end!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 11:12AM by penguin laminating device » Logged
celticdreamer00
Choir Member

Dreaming of Celtic Woman (Thank You CC)

« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2007, 12:11PM »

Bravo Bob!  I laughed so hard I have tears rolling down my cheeks. Thank you for a very entertaining tale. Grin

Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult.
                               Charlotte Whitten
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2007, 12:24PM »

Lester, I played drums for over 20 years. And sill have drum sticks and keep the body memories going. Known as muscle memory we have. It is is personal choice on the grips and if taking lessons when starting it depends who is teaching you and there style and music preference.
If you look at old photos epesocaily the one of the two drummers and piper for 1776 is "traditional"grip. Jazz drummers from the 30's,40's,50's etc..... use the traditioanl or jazz grip. I used that grip just for different feel and break the routine at times. Yes most drummers use mathc group. You can use either grip if the drum(s) are tilted or not!!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 07:50PM by wolf pup » Logged
CTofer

« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2007, 02:22PM »

Personally, I loved The Little Drummer Boy. I am not catholic, but the chanting choir was kind of cool. Thank you Maggie, for filling me in on what the latin words mean, I was really wondering that myself! If you didn't already, turn the closed caption on, then you can read them for yourself nice and clear Smiley ..a brief side note...over the past year or two, something about that song has struck home with me, as far as us as human beings standing before a holy God and bringing to Him whatever gifts we can give Him. And something about that act of giving to Him what we have to bring and offer Him and to give it the best way we can or to perform for Him our very best is just moving beyond words. Within the song, to think of a little boy bringing his little worn drum and to offer to play for the Lord there in the manger is just so powerful and precious. It has become one of my favorite Christmas songs of all.

O Holy Night - up till now, Martina McBride's version of this song was my favorite, but CW's is right up there now. It is a sweeping and majestic song and when it is done right, it is, in my honest opinioni, the best Christmas song of all. The girls did a fantastic job with it, and I wouldn't expect anything less with a song like this with David Downes involved Smiley

Let It Snow - Wow, the girls really got a bit sassy with this!  I love big band music anyways and this was fantastic. The girls all really got into it quite a bit and it was a lot of fun. And Mairead's little breathy 'let it snow' was fun and flirtatious and cute at the end.

All in all, a fantastic addition to the concert dvd's!

Chris
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2007, 07:54PM »

Hi Lester, Ray is left handed as other known drummers as Ian Pace and Phi Collins Smiley And for this show my guess Ray decided to us this grip. I did for my elemantry school bicentential parade as I was one of the drummers at 10 years old. I miss those years when I was young....er.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2007, 07:58PM »

Guys, your conversation on drums is fascinating, but please take it to the General Discussion board.  Thanks.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2007, 09:09PM »

Bob,
Have I told you how much I've missed your stories?  Very, very, very much!  I'm so glad you and the parrots had a lovely review of the Christmas DVD.  Like Maggie, each time I see it I notice something different. 

Did you all notice the affectionate wink Lisa gives David after they bow for The Christmas Song?  I enjoy seeing the obvious affection between those two.

Kelli

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2007, 04:35PM »

I just realized after just finishing up watching The First Noel,

That since I have had this DVD, I have not once sang with any of the songs, not even Let It Snow.

For some reason I just sit in utter silence, and I guess just plain AWE of this DVD.

kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2007, 04:47PM »

I was singing Let It Snow while cooking dinner last night. Even the dog looked at me funny. I don't think it was the choice of song...as much as the bad singer singing! Grin

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: