Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charleston WV -- May 16  (Read 2880 times)
dbbii

« on: May 18, 2014, 06:57PM »

Since I was going to head South on I-77 from Akron, I thought I would consider stopping in Charley West (as Air Tran called it).  Checking with the venues web site revealed a seat in Row D on the end on the piano side.  Hum, maybe a Lynn encounter?

Got a room in an unbranded hotel across the street from the venue.  It was mostly clean, although some smoke smell even though it's noted as non-smoking.  (it may be now, but it was at one time).  It's only for a night.

Since it's across the street, decided to go over around 6 to get my ticket at will call.  The web site showed a 7:00 pm show time.  Oops.  Tickets said 7:30.  Since I was early, thought I'd run back to the hotel, get my Akron M&G pass and try a sneak and greet.

The Clay Center is a really nice, fairly new facility.  There's a museum complex on one side of the lobby and the performance hall on the other.  At about 6:15 I saw some people start to enter into the hall lobby.  I held up my pass and joined them.

We wondered around for at least another 20 minutes until someone from the venue showed up.  He said he was there to take us to the M&G.  While I'm assuming you had to get M&G tickets thru PBS, there was no PBS rep around.  Nice guy from the venue, but didn't know anything specific.  It's my understanding that CW was in Charleston for last years Christmas tour, and that was the first time they have been here.  I was apparently the only one who had ever been to a M&G before.  Showed some photos, explained Chloe and Lisa had both left.  One lady was a little irate about "false advertising". 

The M&G was held in a small lobby that is the entrance to the facilities Black Box theatre.  Nothing special, but it beats the #$%& out of the stairwell the Akron M&G was in!  Only about 15 people, but the guy from CW still pushed everyone through.  Usual 1 minute per person.  First good picture I got this year.

The crowd seemed very appreciative of the show.  Not a full house.  One center section, two aisles.  My end seat was just that -- up against the outside wall.  Noticed the tape on the aisle next to my row noting "LYNN".  During TAR, she did sit on the guy's lap who was sitting on the aisle.  The crowd was generally enthusiastic.  One thing I don't like about the way CW now does a show is they don't allow it to flow depending on how the crowd reacts.  The crowd is still applauding; the performer doesn't stay to acknowledge; and it just goes right into the next song.

As we noted in Akron, they are having some issues balancing the sound.  A couple of time you could hear individual voices of the choir.  They didn't blend.

Standing O at the end of Mo Ghile Mear, but not (well, except for me) after YRMU.  The girls did seem to appreciate the crowd.

Back to the hotel by 10; a drink or two in the room to unwind; then 14 hours on the road home.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: