Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portland Review 3/28/15  (Read 2554 times)
Dan

Éireannach

« on: April 03, 2015, 11:35AM »

So as I listen back over the show and try to write a review, all I can initially say is WOW. Over the past couple of years, while I still love CW it seems that in some ways they haven't been their old selves--we haven't had any new music since 2011, and Lord only knows when that'll come about again. However, this Ten Year Anniversary Tour is just the kind of show that we, the fans, have been wanting for! When it was announced that Méav would be joining the tour for the first month of the American leg, we all knew immediately just how amazing it would be. For a woman who hasn't toured with the group since 2007, you would never know it; vocally and personality wise she blends in seamlessly with the Mairead's and Susan. Their sound together made me and my Gran say "they've still got it!" among other accolades throughout the show. I only wish that Meav (as well as Lynn and Alex) would be regular fixtures with CW again. They were back at the Merrill Auditorium in Portland this year, which is a much better venue for them. Last year, they played the Bangor Waterfront, and it was so freezing they had to cut the show short. When I talked to Sarah before the show, she remembered it well and had a wee shiver at the memory.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, here's a song by song of my thoughts on the show:

Act One
Costume: golden gowns

The Sky and the Dawn and the Sun: Standard opener, but a strong one nonetheless. I knew from the seamless vocal harmonies blending that we were all in for a great show.
Newgrange: Órlagh's version was incredible, but Mairead definitely keeps the wow-factor alive and well in her rendition. Compared to last year, she seems much more comfortable with this song as well as her unique role in CW.
The Butterfly: As always, MaireadN never ceases to amaze. I remember back to my first ever CW when Lisa Kelly finished "Caledonia" and Mairead chased her off stage whilst playing her violin. I was kind of hoping for something like this to happen again, but alas it didn't. Her playful energy was very evident in this song as always. I love her interactions with the band, and this evening didn't disappoint.
Isle of Hope: While I wish that Susan had been able to keep "Here to Stay" or another solo that was specifically a Susan solo, she did an amazing job in this. I've always thought her voice and style to be a great mix of Lisa Kelly and Alex, and my views on that were proved right in this number. Susan is able to put so much emotion and tenderness into a song like IOH, and even though it isn't an original solo of hers per se, I hope that this is kept for future shows.
Danny Boy: No CW would be complete without Danny Boy as Susan said! Having Méav back made this all the more special. Her high note at the end sent a chill throughout the theatre.
Si Do Mhaimeo: I loved Lynn and Mairead's rendition of this last year, but Méav and Mairead had a very special bond and sound as they did this. Meav, Mairead, and Susan have a sublime blended sound; even without Susan the M's pull it off fabulously.
After Hours: As always, a bit of fun. I don't know as if Chris is fully comfortable in his role yet--he's incredibly talented but Craig's dance banter with Nick was missed. I definitely can see Nick as a more commanding presence in his second year with CW compared to his first tour.
Dulaman: Oh. my. GOSH. I'm pretty sure that every woman who has sung Dulaman with the show has done a superb take and made a ubiquitous song their own, and I've even come to love Lisa Lambe's edition the most. However, the Queen was reigning supreme again, singing the solo that started it all. While Méav isn't as energetic physically compared to Lisa Lambe or even Lynn, you wouldn't notice it. She has such a commanding presence that is conveyed through subtlety you can't take your eyes off of her as she flirts with Ray (come to think of it, when I think back to my visual memories or as I listen to an ensemble number again, all I can picture is Meav. Pretty sure I was captivated the whole night).

Her rendition of An Cailin Alainn was haunting to say the least. I can't say much else but that. There's no mistaking Méav's voice and the amazing, distinct sound she brings to everything she does.

Teir Abhaile Riu: The roles were switched round a wee bit, with Susan starting off in place of Lynn in the crowd, followed by a bossier, mocking Mairead Carlin. As Mairead Carlin now seems taken with the idea of going after a lad on her own, big sister Méav immediately enters and yet again takes control of the situation. Their acapella arguing blends amazingly. Méav's take on TAR is one that, as I've mentioned in describing her before, is dominated by that subtle power and presence. Hand on my heart, probably my favorite rendition of this when compared to the original with Lisa Lambe, then followed by Lynn's. It's not that LL and Lynn aren't good because they are, but what more can I say than "It's freaking Méav!"

Intermission
By the end of the first act, I found myself kind of blinking and bemused. Wait a second, Act 1 is already over?! I went out into the lobby to stretch my legs where I met Edel and had a great chat. She complimented my bow tie (from TieTheKnot.org) and we talked a bit about Modern Family (Jesse Tyler Ferguson, who plays Mitchell Pritchett on MF, designed my bow tie with his husband, Justin Mikita and some other celebs and designers also got in on it all). She made this ally very happy!

Act Two
Costume: Gowns in darker shades of blue/black

Orinoco Flow: If you do a YouTube search for clips and snippets of any CW shows, this is the one that you come across the most. There isn't much to say about OF except that it was wonderfully done as always.
Amazing Grace: As always, this song never disappoints. There's a reason that the clip of this from Songs from the Heart has over 20 million views on YouTube! While this song is one of the most widely known in the world, it can be easily cheapened by over harmonization or not enough emotion. Thankfully, CW has always done an amazing job with it and this lineup was no exception. I'll be really interested to hear the Lynn/Alex/Susan and MaireadC/Alex/Susan versions of this--Alex's connection and emotion when performing this song has always struck me. As a Christian, every time I listen to the girls sing it I get taken back to the moment I believed for the first time, and the overwhelming joy and tangible feeling of Love that Christ has for me. Anyway, I could go on, but y'all get how special this song is, and how it's made even more so by CW.
Caledonia: I loved Susan's version of this on Emerald, but her slowed down, more intimate version is definitely a keeper. I said this earlier in the review, but keeping this in the show (even if it means waiting for a Susan solo longer) is fine by me!
Somewhere Over the Rainbow: To quote every teenage girl on social media, "I can't even." I'm thinking this may be exclusive to Méav's run on the show, and I hope that's the case. This version is right on par with Judy Garland's. I get chills just thinking about it.
Nil Sé'n Lá: Ray and MaireadN's duelling music is always fun. I think it's a newer thing this tour, but as Ray is doing his goofing-off bodrhán playing, he pretends like he's throwing the sound to other musicians. When he did this to Brian, it apparently didn't go the way Ray wanted, so he went over, slammed on the highest piano keys, and went on his way!

The choir didn't come down into the audience for this one (we had a matinee show earlier in the day here, maybe they did for that one and decided to change it up for the evening showing?), but it was evident that they were enjoying themselves. When the girls came on stage to sass, you wouldn't believe the amount of chiding they got! Méav was incredibly stern, MaireadC kind of joking scolding, and Susan definitely scolding. This has become a CW show standard, so apart from the physical performing bits, it's mostly stayed the same.
Granuaile's Dance: I love this song, and given that it's in every single CW show, I'm guessing Mairead does too! She does an incredible, bewitching job as always with this. I really wish that there would be some space or time set aside for her to create a new arrangement of an old standard or for her to compose an original piece. She's such an incredible musician that I'd hate to see the composing side of her talent be underutilized!
Nella Fantasia: We knew early on from different clips of MaireadC online that girl. could. SING. When it was first made public that she was joining the group, the folk tunes that were easily found were all excellent; I figured that she would be more of an Órlagh style singer in the group, and possibly Lisa Lambe (at the time) would move into the more belting, classical style roles that Chloë used to do. Then came Mairead Carlin's first Christmas Tour. Um, "O Tannenbaum" anyone? Her intimate, stripped down version of "Nella Fantasia" is amazing. For someone with such a powerful voice, she manages to sing it with such tenderness and feeling...until the end of the song. Her operatic belt is amazing. As she hit those notes, there were audible "wows" and "whoas" all throughout the Merrill. Brava, Mairead!
--Costume Change: pastel gowns (MaireadN in green, Meav in a greyish purple, Susan in a peach, MaireadC in a blue)--
The Voice: Now, I know that this has always been a Lisa Kelly song. I remember her being referred to as "the voice" by her devotees. There was always talk of Méav originally doing this solo during the New Journey recording session days. I'm wondering if this was added so Méav would have her opportunity to do it, and then Alex would pick it up when she joins in May. Either way, her version was off the wall amazing, incredible, stupendous, superb, powerful. Her diction and intonation was more in line with the original recording of the song (see YouTube if you haven't heard it). Where Susan and Lisa were more theatrical and belting in their take, Méav stuck with a belting, traditional Irish style overall.
Mo Ghile Mear: Another that's been with the group since the beginning. I definitely think this (as well as other group numbers) are somewhat lacking with three vocalists, and they try to make up for the power factor by really emphasizing the choir, as well as Ray, Brian, and Ewan joining in on vocals. It's definitely powerful, but I think it drowns the girls out and makes it a wee bit bottom heavy. Okay, music nerd lingo done.
You Raise Me Up: Susan and Méav switched solo parts; something that I'm yet again wondering will be to get the ensemble/Susan ready for the lineup switches over the remainder of the tour.
The Parting Glass: Méav introduced this one, and her comfort an Gaeilge was on full display here. This has replaced Mo Ghile Mear as my favorite group number, and tonight certainly didn't disappoint!

Overall, this was one of my favorite CW shows that I've been to. I mean, every CW show is always incredible, but this one was right on part with the 2007 show I saw with all five original members on their last tour together. Sorry for my rambling about things, but I took it song by song so I could relive the amazing night. I really hope all of you who get to see the next lineup changes share your thoughts on it all. I think that we are so lucky to have the lineup changes we do this tour so that we can experience CW past and present. I know that some people on social media have been trash talking Maggie and CW Ltd for this, and it gets so agitating. These women who aren't full time members are taking time out of their schedules to do this, and people should be grateful! Oh well, some people are going to complain no matter what. If any CW member or management read this, thank you! Keep it up.

20 June 2007-Portland, ME
22 March 2012-Manchester, NH
2 March 2013-Portland, ME
30 May 2014-Bangor, ME
28 March 2015-Portland, ME
28 June 2016-Lowell, MA
9 April 2017-Portland, ME
4 April 2018-Portland, ME
Texan

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 07:04PM »

Excellent review Dan

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: it makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.

Thanks for all of your wonderful music Deirdre
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 07:17PM »

Enjoyed  it  Dan...especially  your  accounting  of  Meav !    Smiley  After  having  seen her  myself  a few  weekend  ago,  I  totally  agree with everything  you said.     Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: