Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happiness, feels and complete mindfcuk - Saskatoon, Canada - March 19, 2014  (Read 32562 times)
urbanracer34
Bodhrán Player

« on: March 26, 2014, 06:59PM »

Admins: Please DO NOT censor this post, I want all the anger and frustration inside intact... Jerad

First off, I would like to thank everyone who made me get off my lazy bloody ass to write this review. Especially Misha, your words really got me thinking and convinced me to do this. Kiss

Pre-show:

Let me just say first off that this has been years in the making. I missed CW coming through my city back in 2010 on the SftH tour and I made it my personal mission to see them.

When I started on this journey what feels like ages ago, I wanted to see them in Vancouver (keep in mind this when Chloe was still with the group). Unfortunately, due to money complications and the timing of everything going on in our lives, I could not go. Sad

I missed my chance to see Chloe, EVER, at the only window I had. Cry

I then started a campaign to get CW to come to Saskatoon again. I started posting on their Facebook page to “Come back to Saskatoon on their next Tour”, “We LOVE Celtic Music” and “TCU Place would be perfect!” The reason I said this is we hosted Riverdance and “The Rankin Family” at this exact same venue, both smash hits. It took maybe 2-3 postings on their Facebook page.

Then that fateful day came… When they announced the Emerald Tour stops, I was ecstatic to see “Saskatoon, Canada” on the list and that the venue was “TCU Place.” MY PLAN WORKED! Grin Grin Grin (happiness)

I “requested” my Mom snatch up tickets ASAP. She got on the horn (read: phone) with the TCU ticket office and requested tickets. “How about front row?” the girl said that took the call. Mom took 3 tickets on the far left side in row A. (This comes into play later) Made my Day, we had secured our chance to see CW.

My mom was really looking forward to seeing “the redhead” (Lisa Lambe) and when I told her a couple days before the concert that she would not be there, she asked why. “She’s performing in a play in Dublin” I said, which was the truth at the time. “Oh well, I was looking forward to seeing her” Mom said. “Me too, Mom, me too.” Sad (feels)

(Keep also in mind that this was before I had read Misha’s review, which clarified Lisa Lambe’s reason for the break)

The day of the concert, we drove to the road behind TCU Place, which is also the same road you have to go to get to a local “Sears” parking lot. One way street here. No parking near TCU Place where we usually park. Derp, some of the space was taken up by Semis and busses for CW, some by patrons parking for the concert (assumed). We made our way onto a street near where we eat for the concerts. Parking spot, BINGO! We snagged it, even though it was a couple block walk to TCUP.

We then walked to Chanti’s, a local pasta place and where we go to eat when we go to TCUP concerts. Even at Chanti’s it was horrendously busy, luckily we came prepared with a reservation Wink. Even our waiter had asked, “Is there a show in town tonight, it’s really busy”, to which we said “Yes, Celtic Woman at TCU Place.”

After eating our fill of Pasta, we walked down to TCUP. We got into the main door. Terribly many people were here in the doorway. I looked up at one of the numerous video screens above us and there were a ton of events happening IN ADDITION to the Celtic Woman concert. We then got our tickets scanned. A bit of trouble with their scanner later, we were in.

We went to the merchandise table, or as they called it, the “Celtic Woman Shop.” I was counting on there being Emerald CD’s and the Blu-ray. We asked, we got told there was no Emerald CDs or “video discs.” Derp, this was the reason I was going to get them at the concert and I did not order them from Amazon.com or other retailer. “Oh well, I guess I’ll get them from HMV and Target” I thought.

We bought a souvenir program and then Dad said “any CDs here of interest Jerad?” “Yeah, buy [Raining Up]” I said, knowing that some people on here enjoy it. Thanks for the (indirect) idea Sarah! Kiss

We went and got some DRINK!!! Well, at least Dad did. Tongue

We went and sat down in our seats. “perfect, right near the piano” I thought. “this might come in handy later on.” It did. Wink

ACT 1;

I can’t really remember the order in which some songs were sung, but I’ll do my best.

First off, was The Sky and The dawn and The Sun. Mairead N. started it off instrumentally, Lynn started it off vocally, then Susan and then Mairead C. I noticed right away that MC was quite the powerhouse in terms of vocals, just like Chloe was in the Emerald Special I watched on TV the week or two before (we get PBS WGBH through our TV provider, SaskTel, the best in the province). No need to worry here that MC is inferior to Chloe,, I see them about the same. *gets the fire extinguisher ready in case of flame wars* Cheesy

Then was Dulaman, and the preceding vocal before it, which was called An Chailín Álainn (Thanks Misha for this detail). Lynn did this song, and it seemed that she felt right at home singing it. Lynn’s version seemed quite a bit more “calmer” and less “playful” than LL’s, sadly.

Newgrange was up next. MC’s first solo number. She then introduced the theme for the song, about the Sacred Burial Ground, 5000 years ago. Mom asked after this “Did she just say [Burial ground]?” “Yes” I said, still trying to absorb what was happening. She did a wonderful job, yet it was incredibly different from Orla’s on the ANJ DVD.

The Butterfly was next. It sounded different from the one on the Original Show DVD, but in a good way. Mairead N. really was moving fast and well with this one, just like a Pixie! Grin

The New Ground seems largely unchanged from the version on SftH. As this song was without words, it was hard to understand what the original composer meant by it. Part of me was hoping Isle of Hope, Isle of Tears would be next, but alas it was not.

Orinoco Flow, cue thunderclap. The choir sang the opening, followed by the girls’ entrances. Sounds great as always.

The Moon’s a Harsh Mistress - Susan gracefully made her way to the piano side of the stage which coincidentally was right front of me!!!!!!!!! She pulled out a wooden barstool, which looked like it was painted black, and sat down on it. She then thanked us all for coming, and expressed how fond she was with this song. As luck would also have it, she seemed to be singing the song RIGHT AT ME. Grin This was because the seat I had had a direct sightline to Susan. It made me smile the whole time as she sung. And clap we did. (feels)

Amazing Grace - Not much changed since the SftH or Emerald versions. Anthony entered to the left of us, which I was not expecting. He played right in behind us and walked right past us, with the spotlight on him at all times till he came onto the stage.

Si Do Mhameo I - This was a duet with the two “new” girls, MC and Lynn. Mairead C looked so adorable and playful here, She fit right in! andddddddd I’m smitten. *blushes* (feels, again)

What followed was some drumming and dancing. I agree with Misha here: Riverdance meets Stomp.

Teir Abhaile Riu - Lynn entered the auditorium on our side, and the singing fight began. Lynn sat near someone about 6-10 rows back (Lucky Barstid!) and then Mairead C entered in the Auditorium. The fight continued as MC and Lynn walked up to and onto the stage. And then Susan stopped MC and Lynn from fighting. All and all, a great song and one I think CW fans will cherish forever (and hopefully stay in the show for some time.)

Intermission;

We went to go get drinks, Mom got Wine, dad got Beer, and me Bottled water. We also strolled back by the merchandise booth and I asked Mom and Dad for a t-shirt, the one with Lynn, LL, Susan, MC and Mairead Nesbitt on it. My request was denied. Angry

While Dad got the drinks, Mom and I were looking at the program. She looked at the programs last back page where pictures of all the girls past and present were, and asked “who they all are.” I rattled all of them off in order and with a few pauses later, (Making sure to pronounce Meav’s last name correctly), she asked bewildered “How do you know all this?” I attributed it to “Research” with a wink at the end. Grin The wink was meant for you guys! Cheesy

ACT II;

I Know My Love - As if I wasn’t smitten enough over MC already, this one made me love her even more! Smiley Sigh. Kiss I don’t exactly understand why myself, but MC’s voice made me feel safe, warm and cozy inside. The only other voices of CW that have given me this reaction are Alex and LL’s. (MOAR FEELS)

My Lagan Love - I always enjoyed this solo from SftH of Lynn’s, and this performance was no exception. It sounded very much the same as on the SftH DVD.

The Call - Susan did a wonderful as this was her Solo number. She did a phenomenal job.

Bodhran Solo - Funny as heck at the end when Mairead Nesbitt interrupted Ray playing the bodhran, which leaded into…

Nil S’en La - Choir entered both entrances to the auditorium. Sarah Gannon even went past our seats! Grin The rest of the girls sounded wonderfully.

Granuaile’s Dance - One of my favorites. After the end of this song, you could see easily that Mairead N’s bow was shredded! Grin Grin Grin

Danny Boy - One of CW’s more beautiful renditions of this classic. I love the arrangement.

You Raise Me Up - I really enjoyed this one, but it did make me sad since it was signaling close to the end of the show. Cue standing O’

The Parting Glass - Signaling the end of the show, this was one of the better versions of The Parting Glass I’ve heard CW do, mainly by the DVDs, seeing as this is my first live show I’ve been to. the Believe DVD version is still the top one in my opinion.

Encore - No explanation necessary, it was amazing and The girls wished us a wonderful night. I even got the odd kiss and a few waves in my direction. Grin Grin Grin Yes the crowd went wild.

After the show;

Well, this is the un-eventful part of the review, even though it was going to be wonderful! Why? Because my parents decided to NOT let me go to the stage door and try to meet them! Angry Angry  Cry Cry Holy **** I was pissed. (mindfcuk)

This was the most frustrating part of the night. I asked them repeatedly to let me go TRY. They still said NO, even after we were out the door of TCU Place. (more mindfcuk) After the concert and days later at home, I finally backed them into a corner (theoretically, not literally) and asked WHY. “We’ve never done such a thing,” “that’s more for heavy metal bands” and “we don’t support it either.” (COMPLETE MINDFCUK)

Sorry guys… I thought I would come out of the concert meeting them, with pictures, signatures on the program and the whole shebang. Cry I’m hoping to change their mind… for the NEXT time CW comes to Saskatoon, and believe me, If I have any say, they will! Grin Grin Grin

Let’s finish this review off, shall we? I was amazed by the power Mairead Carlin had in her voice. I fell in love with her voice as soon as I heard it that night. Her fan-base will get bigger as more people see her and fall in love just as I have. Cheesy I will be buying her album whenever it comes out. Susan sounded amazing live, just as I thought she would. Lynn brought a touch to the music that no one else could. Mairead N did the fiddle playing as masterful and like a pixie as always.

So with the regret that I couldn’t go to the stage door like “Those Who Came Before” did, I would say the show was a smash success!

Songs/tunes listened to while I was writing this review (and an example of my music taste);

Chiptunes/Tracker Music:
The Blue Valley - Karsten Koch
Plug’n fuk - Dma Sc / Sector 1
Deep In Her Eyes (Remake Version) - Skaven

Regular Songs:
Rasputin - Boney M (THERE AIN’T NO DISPUTIN’ RASPUTIN! Tongue Tongue Tongue) (THANKS JAMES! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes)
One Night in Bangkok - Murray Head
We Built This City - Starship
Lay All Your Love On Me - ABBA
All Too Well - Taylor Swift
Tusk - Fleetwood Mac
What If I Do - Mindy McCready
Yasashii Yoake - See-Saw (.HACK//SIGN OST)
Radar Love - Golden Earring
Holding Out For a Hero - Bonnie Tyler
Runaway - The Corrs
Harder Better Faster Stronger (Alive 2007) (Radio Edit) - Daft Punk
Civilization - Justice
Funkytown - Lipps, Inc
Love on My Mind - Freemasons
Don’t Let Go (Vena Cava Remix) - Swiss American Federation
Key of the Twilight - Yuki Kaijura
Gonna Be a Hot One - Kira Isabella
Don’t Wanna Fall In Love - Jane Child
Light a Fire - Chris de Burgh
Live to Win - Paul Stanley
Caledonia - Celtic Woman (Emerald Musical Gems)

Remixes:
Upstream - random youtube remixer
Pop Danthology 2010 - Daniel Kim
Teenage Wasteland (Baba O'Riley) - Snouz

I'm Jerad. Smiley
CWazy since 2012!
CompTIA A+ certified, Long time Apple product user.

Banner by Kirstie. Thanks! Smiley
littlecubspirit
Honorary Roadie

Mairead and Misha- Pixies!

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 07:11PM »

Jerad...this was by far the most entertaining review I have EVER  read....you and I are so on the same wavelength with so many things. I am sorry you did not get to see the girls... your parents don't sound too up to speed. The girls would have fallen in love with you, just like I have. *****HUGS******

Misha

MY REVIEW OF MY THIRD SHOW IS UP!

I MET LISA L, CHLOE, MAIREAD N, SUSAN,  MAIREAD C, LYNN, EABHA,  DAVID, SARAH/EDEL, CRAIG, NICK, RAY, ANTHONY!
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:38PM »

I'm  glad  you  took  the   time  and  effort  to  place  this  review.  It  was  quite  descriptive .   I  hope  the  gals  come  to  your  neck  of  the woods  next  time  too.   Thank  you  for  this  fun  review.    Smiley   

Hubert
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:40AM »

Thanks, Jerad.  That was a great job.  It makes me anticipate my coming concerts even more.  As for your parents not allowing you to go to the stage door just have them read Misha's reviews from this year and last year (the parts about her stage door experiences).  These girls are angels not some stupid heavy metal band.  If your parents do read her reviews they should be embarrassed and ashamed.  Thanks again for a great review and your honest thoughts.

There is no Lambe like our Lil' Lambe.  Mairead Carlin is the real deal.
urbanracer34
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:41AM »

Misha: Thanks for the kind words regarding my review, It means a lot to me! Yes, My parents are most certainly NOT up to speed. It seems they don't understand how much I care about them, just as we do. I know the girls would've fallen in love with me, just as you have! Grin Grin Grin Maybe if they asked to watch more of the DVDs I have A LOT more often, maybe they would understand... Thanks for the hugs, they mean the world to me just as you do. Wink

James: No problem.

Hubert: I agree with you, these are angels, not some st00pid heavy metal band! (my apologies to any fans of the sort) I'm scared of bringing up Misha's reviews about the stage door to them, I don't want them trying to destroy what has taken me the last two years to create on one of their (very misunderstanding) whims.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 11:00AM by urbanracer34 » Logged

I'm Jerad. Smiley
CWazy since 2012!

Traveling Spaceman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 03:05PM »

Jerad, I think you captured the raw emotion of a CW show perfectly.   Cheesy

So happy for you, buddy. Glad they came to your town.

Thank you Chiara for my beautiful banner. Smiley
urbanracer34
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 11:20AM »

Thanks Rob. I hope they come again. Cheesy Our city is actually pretty big actually.

I'm Jerad. Smiley
CWazy since 2012!

Traveling Spaceman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 03:25PM »

Thanks Rob. I hope they come again. Cheesy Our city is actually pretty big actually.

True - ours is kind of small. I knew when they came here last year, that they probably wouldn't come again this year. But Syracuse is the next best thing.  Grin  Looking forward to returning the favor, and writing a review that you can read. But you and Misha have set the bar pretty high.    Smiley

Thank you Chiara for my beautiful banner. Smiley
urbanracer34
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 04:03PM »

True - ours is kind of small. I knew when they came here last year, that they probably wouldn't come again this year. But Syracuse is the next best thing.  Grin  Looking forward to returning the favor, and writing a review that you can read. But you and Misha have set the bar pretty high.    Smiley

I agree, you should write a review after the Syracuse show. Sorry about setting the bar high. I didn't mean to. Tongue

I'm Jerad. Smiley
CWazy since 2012!

mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

Oh you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 05:59PM »

I can't wait for Dayton! I'm totally gonna have to do a review... One to rival both Misha AND Jerad! Mwah ha ha! Jk!
urbanracer34
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 08:06PM »

One year later, and the rage continues...

I have been mad for the last year as a result of me not meeting Mairead's, Susan and Lynn, and it has taken a toll on us all.

I picked supper time to tell them of my plan that happened over a year ago, to get them to come to Saskatoon, to see, and to meet them (of course not telling them of Misha's or Sarah's stage door encounters, as that would open up a new can of worms. Go figure....)

They were enraged. I told them what they said at the time. No recollection. The Facebook posts? Didn't believe me. They also didn't think I could get to the stage door with security!!! Tongue I was enraged as a result. I told them this was one of my dreams, to see and meet them. I had told mom of this dream, and I expected her photographic memory to help me out. It failed.

I supposed this is the end to this review, for now that is.

I'm Jerad. Smiley
CWazy since 2012!

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 09:56AM »

I feel for you,

I always wanted to see the Emerald Tour myself, they stopped coming to mine
but by surprise their back on the 10th Anniv. I was so lucky with all the changes coming in
by Meav & Alex this year, with also in May Mairead stepping off for a slot of the tour, My date falls in April.
All of April will be the only month outside Europe & Dublin of course to cast
the 2 Maireads, Susan & Lynn.

This is the same line-up as did last year at Emerald. so I am very honored but lucky I didn't expect I would ever get the chance
with Lynn that she had come on board last year.

The April Emerald Lineup is during most all of April.
The locations are in Florida and more states etc but it be far for you idk

I don't know if they have open Meet & Greets still available, they play PBS this month!

Just thought I let you try another possibility. Although I just saw it's in Canada, I'm positive they'll be back there over the next years Wink

I would love to Meet & Greet also but it's only on PBS, and March is to close to April to miss good seats if I don't pledge or get it.

xxxxx
You Deserve what you got...
so they  didn't want you go to the stage door?
why didn't you just go that you wanted even if they didn't want you>? was it because you didn't have m&g tickets as you were planned to want.

To Saskatoon for CW's next endeavors Smiley
realfancw
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:03AM by RealFan c-w » Logged

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
urbanracer34
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 04:04PM »

No they didn't want me to go to the stage door for the reasons I listed above. Saskatoon didn't have M&G AFAIK, Only PBS does, and I can't travel outside of Canada because it's too costly, i don't have my passport and I also have a disability.

I'm Jerad. Smiley
CWazy since 2012!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: