Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy Birthday, Oscar Wilde!  (Read 11474 times)
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« on: October 16, 2015, 06:53AM »

Oscar Wilde was born on this day - the 16th of October - in 1854. He was not only the best writer (poet, playwright, novelist, storyteller) of his time (or rather, the whole world) and a fantastic activist and political thinker aswell as a talented photographer, editor, painter and designer, a superb fashionisto, the most quotable author of all time, the most famous Irishman of all time and a brilliant person overall, NO he was also the perfect lookalike of Lisa Lambe (oddly enough...) and the son and husband of the two women who were the first to sign a petition for women to be allowed to study at the Trinity College in Dublin, where several CWuties went to.

So, Happy Birthday, Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde! And if you didn't die so young you... probably wouldn't be alive now anyways, but I am still very sad about it.

Please note, the birth of Oscar Wilde is an INCREDIBLY important part of Celtic Culture.

The public have an insatiable curiosity to know everything, except what is worth knowing.

Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

A map of the world that does not include Utopia is not worth even glancing at, for it leaves out the one country at which Humanity is always landing. And when Humanity lands there, it looks out, and, seeing a better country, sets sail. Progress is the realisation of Utopias.

The true perfection of man lies not in what man has, but in what man is.

The note of the perfect personality is not rebellion, but peace.

Starvation, and not sin, is the parent of modern crime.

Who, being loved, is poor?

You can never be overdressed or overeducated.

The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.

The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 07:01AM by ShiningBright » Logged

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 03:53PM »

The 16th is nearly over here, but I have just made a graphic:

Very simple, I know.

Here's some Oscar trivia for you:

Full name: Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde
Nicknames: Ossie, Hosky, Grey Crow
Other names: Sebastian Melmoth (in Exile in Paris; based on his favourite saint and the protagonist of his uncle's novel)
Born: 16th October 1854 in Dublin
Died: 30th November 1900 in Paris
Nationality: Irish, later English and French by choice
Religion: Anglican; Roman Catholic
Languages: English, French, Irish, Italian, Ancient Greek, Latin, German (at least)
University: Trinity College, Dublin; Magdalen College, Oxford
Ancestry: Italian, English (maternal) and very distantly Dutch (paternal)
Parents: Sir William Robert Wills Wilde (doctor, writer); Lady Francesca Jane Wilde (née Elgee)
Siblings: William Charles Kingsbury Wilde (elder brother; bad relationship), Isola Francesca Wilde (younger sister; died early, he loved her immensly); Henry Wilson, Emily and Mary Wilde (half-siblings by his father)
Wife: Constance Mary Wilde (née Lloyd; 2 January 1859 in Dublin - 7 April 1898 in Genua)
Other romantic or erotic interests of note: Florence Stoker (née Balcome; ex-fiancee later married Bram Stoker who was older and had more money), Violet Hunt (rumour), Charlotte Montefiore, Robert Ross (life long friend and part-time romantic interest), Lord Alfred Douglas (did not end well for Oscar), Lily Langtry (he slept a night in the snow in her door until her husband sent him away; played in many of his plays), Walt Whitman (rumour)
Children: Cyril Wilde (5 June 1885 – 9 May 1915), Vyvyan Oscar Beresford Wilde, OBE (3 November 1886 – 10 October 1967); both sons later named Holland
Grandson: Merlin Holland (born 1945)
Great-grandson: Lucian Holland (born 1979)
Niece: Dorothy Ierne Wilde (July 11 1895 – April 10 1941) by his brother William ("Willie")
Favourite colour: Green
Favourite drink: Champagne or absinthe
Favourite country: Greece, Italy, France or Egypt (difficult to say)
Hair colour: Brown
Eye colour: Grey
Skin colour: Light (slightly freckled)
Height: 6'3"
Hobbies: Writing, bathing, drinking, reading, riding, playing with his children, telling stories, photographing, painting, drawing, talking
Handedness: Cross-handed (not ambidextrous, he used different hands for different things)
Favourite brand of underwear: Dr Jaeger's (his wife wore them too!)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:01PM by ShiningBright » Logged

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 06:42PM »

Thank  yuo  for  all  the  work  you  put  into  the  research  of  this  and  the  time  it  ook  to  post it. Impressive !     Cool

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 02:31AM »

Aah Grin No problem, I knew these things anyways. It was just too late (almost midnight) to put up more on his birthday.

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 11:32AM »

This might be of interest, too:

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 07:08PM »

Cool  !    Cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print