Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My review of Destiny  (Read 22089 times)
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« on: October 23, 2015, 04:55AM »

I couldn't resist ^_^ Just to explain the rating:
ONE STAR - the lowest rating - means "This is a beautiful song, but I need to have a rating spectrum from very good to fantastic, because I can't rate all songs with five stars as that would make me need more stars for the especially fabulous songs"
FIVE STARS -the highest rating - means "This is one of the best Celtic Woman songs of all time!"
In other words: The lowest rating is still fabulous and outside of the rating spectrum of this review, I would rate all songs five stars!

My Land
The harmony of this song is outstanding. I never heard such a fantastic harmony since the original line up. It's a beautiful, comforting and simply elegant song. All voices harmonize, all tunes fit, it's a great pleasure and the ideal way to start an album. While being gentle, the second half is also very powerful, but it all fits well. Definitely my favourite group song on the album!
FIVE STARS

Siúlil A Rún
The only song on the album Celtic Woman has performed before. However, this version is completely new and original. The voices harmonize perfectly, yet you still hear every girl. It also features Máiréad's violin, which makes it perfect. Éabha's part is outstanding, reminiscent of Órlagh, yet original. Mairéad C's voice sounds very sweet and gentle and it's brilliant to hear Susan sing with a more Celtic style voice, as it suits her perfectly.
FIVE STARS

Ride On
Now we have the first song I worried about. I wondered how they would perform Ride On in a Celtic Woman style. I was positively surprised, as it's beautiful. Unexpectedly, the song was started by Máiréad. Nesbitt, not Carlin. Her fiddle gave the song a pretty Celtic touch. Mairéad (Carlin) and Éabha sang it as a beautiful duet, with great harmony. Their voices are very suited as they don't sound too similar, yet harmonize enough. The mood of the song is melancholic and dark, probably the saddest on the album.
THREE STARS

The Whole Of The Moon
The second song I worried a bit about. I am still not sure if I find it very suitung, apart form the instrumentals. Nontheless, it's a very pretty song and Susan does a fantastic job on it. It's definitely new for Celtic Woman, but they always did a fantastic job on older pop songs and they did now. It's energetic and I really like the mood of the song. It's really pretty.
THREE STARS

Dragonborn
The third song of that kind. I really had no idea how they would integrate this song into the Celtic Woman style. but it turned out perfect. I don't know the video game even though it seems interesting (I love old papers and dragons...), but the music is fantastic! Máiréad's fiddling is brilliant as always and it's very fascinating to have the choir sing such an epic sounding song. It's also a great way to give them some spotlight, which they definitely deserve! I always loved Máiréad fiddling with the choir in the background!
THREE STARS

How Can I Keep From Singing
Oh, sweetness, how I longed to hear this song! And how beautiful it is! It's really lovely. However, it did fill, but not succeed my (rather high) expectations. I'm not sure wether they've changed the lyrics to a more... wordly version, but it does not sound like Enya's lyrics either. I prefer the originals, but that doesn't matter right now. Éabha's voice is brilliant, she's a fantastic addition to Celtic Woman. There is something magical and calming about her voice. I also love her technique. I did not expect her to end the words the way she does in this song, but I really like it. The arrangement is beautiful and simple, as I've expected it to be and as I've hoped it to be.
FOUR STARS

I See Fire
This is a nice song. I did not really "get" into it yet. I probably will, when I listen to it more, like I did with some other songs (took me a while to appreciate Send Me A Song the way I do now!) Celtic Woman performed May It Be from The Lord of the Rings in 2004, about two years after the movies. Now Celtic Woman did the same with a song from The Hobbit. It is a nice, modern tribute to the original concert. I would have chosen a song to show off more of Mai C's range, but I am very happy the way it is.
TWO STARS (remember, this is a good rating!)

Tír Na nÓg
I still don't know what to think about this song. It does not fit my particular taste in music and I regard it as the weakest track on the whole album. However, it certainly is very catchy and accessible. They also seem to have had a great fun recording it, which is a good addition to the whole song.
ONE STAR (this is not a bad rating!)

Óró Sé Do Bheatha Abhaile
Méav! It's Méav! And she sounds fantastic as always! It definitely shows off her range, starting deep and getting high, like it's no effort at all! It's catchy, epic, a perfect group song. The choir does a great job and we have Máiréad fiddling. So, Méav, the other girls backing, the choir and Máiréad. What more could I want?
FOUR STARS

Sometimes A Prayer Will Do
Oh, what a nice song! I was so excited about it! And it's perfect for Susan, my favourite solo of hers so far. She is so powerful. And certainly among the most underrated members of Celtic Woman.
Her performances of It Came Upon A Midnight Clear and Here To Stay already proved that she is incredibly strong at gospel styled songs.
FOUR STARS

Bean Pháidín
What a nice-y happy pretty little-y song-y. All girls seem to have fun and that's a great promise for a song. The melody is catchy, Mái fiddles her way through the song and the girls sing very sweet sounding lines. The happiest and funniest song on the album with a very Celtic touch to it. Would be a great solo song, I hope it will be on tour.
FIVE STARS

Westering Home
Another song I was incredibly excited about and one of my favourites on this album! It's as beautiful as I've expected it to be and I am very happy. It's another fine example of the group's harmony, similar to My Land.
FIVE STARS

When You Go
I love this song, but I am a bit confused about some aspects of it. But It's so fun and cheerful and sweet! I just wonder what Terloc's Dream will be like, because without a mystical fiddle intro this is not very much a Celtic Woman opening. It's simply happy and sweet and entertaining.
THREE STARS

Like An Angel Passing Through
Mairéad's sweet and crystal clear voice is perfectly suited for this song! I absolutely adore it! It's incredibly beautiful. I don't have much else to say about it, it's not a particularly original arrangement, just think of the song as you know it featuring Mai's beautiful voice.
FOUR STARS

Walk Beside Me
My favourite solo on the cd! One of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard! I cannot really describe it. You have to hear it! It also features Máiréad's lovely fiddling and the choir in the end. Beautiful.
FIVE STARS

Hills Of Ireland
A classic Máiréad solo, very Irish and very pretty. The second part reminds me of Granuaile's Dance. It has a very pretty, magical intro. However, it is not particularly fast, which is nice but surprising, considering Máiréad usually has at least one very fast solo.
FOUR STARS

Skylands
I worried I wouldn't like this song from the sample. I shouldn't have, because it's very nice. Unusual, yes, but I like unusual things. The chorus may be a bit boring, but the instrumentals and main parts are very pretty and catchy and energetic.
TWO STARS

I LOVE THIS ALBUM! And remember. Every song got a very good rating! I just wanted to keep differences between the songs, because I like them all, but I don't like them all the same!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 05:55AM by ShiningBright » Logged

Breno

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 08:30AM »

Have no words for The Whole Of the Moon and Skylands. They're tragic. Poor Susan.   
I loved all the rest.

I give 5 stars for the CD in general, the best since A New Journey.
Dinozzzo
Honorary Roadie

The biggest French Fan

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 08:31AM »

The Hills of Ireland looks like a mashup of Granuaile's Dance and The Foxhunter Shocked

03/06/2010 : Wallingford, CT, United States
06/28/2011 : Hamburg, Deutschland
09/23/2011 : Paris, France
05/17/2012 : Dusseldorf, Deutschland
10/23/2013 : Amsterdam, The Netherlands
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 09:42AM »

Yes, reminds me of both, but a bit lower and gentler in tune. Sadly, in both of Máiréad's solos, the fiddling is hardly more prominent than tha background music and choir.

The Whole of the Moon and Skylands are not exactly tragic in my opinion, just a bit unexpected. Then again, The Whole of the Moon is an Irish rock/pop song which CW often covers (think of A Woman's Heart or Caledonia) and Skylands is an original. And When You Go, which was written by the same people, is pretty similar. Very upbeat. They are definitely not in my top favourite songs of Celtic Woman but don't hurt the overall quality of the album, in my opinion.

I found I See Fire a bit boring or rather bland and would have prefered to hear more of Mairéad's powerful high notes. Compared to the sizzle reel of the dvd, this studio recoridng is overally toned down and less powerful. But that's the same with all CW albums. The dvds are always better. Also, I found Ride On tobe slightly depressing, even though it's abeautiful rendition of an otherwise okay, but not too impressive song.

I consider it to be one of their strongest albums. Not as good as A New Journey, not even as Celtic Woman. But definitely as good as Songs From The Heart, if not better, and better than Believe. But I love all albums and they mostly share their place Grin

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 09:47AM »

What is it that's wrong about The Whole Of The Moon..
It's very Lisa K like and it's about the moon again Cheesy. The tempo feels like similar to the water is wide to me. I'm more sad for MC's solos than I am for Susan.

Both song's are, all the songs Susan sings are Lisa K like..basically your not liking it because all Susan is saying to us is that there is a whole, and that somehow or another a prayer will do to fix it Cheesy joke.

I'm surprised Eabha doesn't sound Orla at all..It's too sound as if Deirdre was invited ten year's later, especially
on Suil a Ruil. Eabha is unique, she can fool you, she is young very cute, but her voice will speak over her power that she can have
over her cuteness. Sounds similar to how we felt with Chloe, right? well this is even more!  Smiley Love Eabha I'm now a fan!  
Eabha by the way, the solo's, her's are extraordinary!

Ter Na nog is cool but it doesn't compete to CW level comparing it to
Princess Totoyami, or I'm counting on you if that's what they were trying to do with guests.

Have no words for The Whole Of the Moon and Skylands. They're tragic. Poor Susan.    
I loved all the rest.

I give 5 stars for the CD in general, the best since A New Journey.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 12:19PM by rfcw » Logged

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 10:30AM »

My Land
FIVE STARS Smiley

Siúil A Rún
THREE STARS - It's not really a new version.

Ride On
ONE STAR- Have not heard full version.

The Whole Of The Moon
FOUR STARS- Great for Susan! Cheesy

Skyrim Theme (Dragonborn)
THREE STARS- MN works the new theme like Lisa K on May It Be  Cool Roll Eyes

How Can I Keep Me From Singing
FOUR STARS- very Great  Tongue

I See Fire
ONE STAR --- too low, even compared to Lynn on My Lagon Love.

Tír Na Nóg
FIVE STARS - look at it as a next Nil Sen La, Tar was the next At the Ceili Cheesy Shocked

FIVE STARS The Best #1 current Celtic Woman for 2015, 2016 and Beyond to Date Grin Grin  Grin

FIVE STARS - I love the emotion feel in this. Kiss

Bean Pháidín
FOUR STARS- I like it, it's fun, but would been more fun with Meav or add Rebecca. Embarrassed Cheesy

Westering Home
FIVE STARS- CW's version simply Amazing Cheesy Grin Shocked   

When You Go
FOUR STARS- Five but I gave Four because it doesn't sound like a powerful opener like The Call, SDS & Awakening did, so 1 bump down. Cheesy Wink Smiley

Like An Angel Passing Through My Room
Two Stars- a new Lullaby addition.  Wink Undecided

Walk Beside Me
FIVE STARS-  just like Toy Story 2 Grin

The Hills Of Ireland
FIVE STARS- love songs that remind of past songs but new. Smiley Wink

Skylands
ONE STAR- No clue of words how I feel. Lips sealed
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 12:18PM by rfcw » Logged

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
Excalibur

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 11:25AM »

I'll put my review here too, to avoid another topic  Wink
Rating goes from 1 to 5 stars

The first thing I have to say about Destiny is that the change of the musical director sounds very clear: the arrangements are somehow simpler, without all the great, powerful orchestrations we were used to, except for a couple of songs. There's a sense of intimacy in this album, much like the original of 2005. We really hear Méav's influence here, and that is a most welcome thing. Along with this, something new also comes. Most of the original songs have a pop-ish, even rock-ish sound and that may seem veeery strange to our ears the first time, but just keep listening to them and you will end up loving the entire album.

My Land
I always wanted CW to cover this song, since the first time I heard Orla singing it in 2009 (only later I realized it was by Secret Garden). This is the classic CW anthem-ballad, and strangely enough for an opening track, it mainly focuses on Susan. Eabha provides harmony in the second part and Mairead C sings the higher notes towards the finale. I expected to hear Mairead N and her fiddle, but no trace of them, it's quite sad and I would have preferred to hear the fiddle instead of the bagpipes.

Siúil A Rún
I was not too keen with the idea of a past song in the new album, especially the idea of one of Orla's solos turned into a group number, but it turned out to be very very beautiful. It reminded a lot of Anùna's version, but the addition of the fiddle and the unexpected harmonies make it sublime.

Ride On
It was nice to have a duet+fiddle song, I think the last one may have been Pie Jesu on TGJ. Unfortunately this is less emotional and haunting, kind of predictable sometimes. Pity that a classic Irish song doesn't sound too fitting for CW. It probably would have worked better with a different arrangement, but still it has a sort of dramatic calm moment to the album. Lovely harmonies with the Eabha-Mairead blend.

The Whole Of The Moon
The arrangement of this song is really nice and new for CW, anyway I honestly think that Susan can do much better with a different kind of songs. Still, it is very interesting how the group is experimenting new sounds, and besides it would be boring to always have the same old things.

Skyrim (Dragonborn)
I think it's the first time CW records a song from a videogame and I totally love the idea: nowadays a lot of videogames have very beautiful soundtracks and themes, and it happens to be Skyrim's case. I loved Peter Hollens' rendition more than the original and it will probably remain my favourite, but this one also is absolutely delicious. I love/hate how the lyrics doesn't seem quite the same of the original, but Méav's voice in the choir makes me forget that Cheesy

How Can I Keep From Singing
Even if this is a traditional song, for me it has always been an Enya song. Enya is probably my favourite artist and I thought it would have been hard to love Eabha's rendition. With that premise, I was stunned when I heard it. It's so simple, calm, easy to listen, yet her voice just tears your heart. CW really needed this kind of deep, low and heart-breaking voice, and Eabha is that voice. I love her lament-like sound that becomes so light in the less-low notes. So celtic and emotional. Pure magic.

I See Fire
Another clever choice for the group. Every fan of The Hobbit trilogy and Ed Sheeran's fans will want to listen to it. I must say I'm not really into this particular song and I would have preferred at least one powerful song for Mairead, since she has all the skills to compete with past power-voices like Lisa and Chloe. I think is my less-favourite song on the album, but I understand the strategy behind the choice Smiley

Tír Na nÓg
Very little CW here, the song is totally Oonagh-style. Oddly enough, the video version has the fiddle sound in it while the album version does not - or at least the fiddle is covered by all the other sounds. The melody sounds almost the same as Oonagh's Avalon, they could have covered it -maybe with English lyrics- and it would have been the same, but I like it and again, it's nice to hear something a little bit different from the previous albums. Hopefully Susan will sing Oonagh's lines on tour.

Méav proves again that she is THE Celtic Woman. I can definitely hear her contribution on this arrangement, and I'm still amazed by her ability to steal the scene only with her voice. She has turned a simple traditional song into a beautiful upbeat anthem, and eved dared to go quite down her vocal extension. The choir lines during the instrumental interludes are brilliant. This has to be one of my absolute CW favourites.

Now THIS is the kind of song that does justice to Susan's voice. It's very reminiscent of the gospel atmosphere in her HFC solo and really showcases her powerful voice -which IMHO has the most powerful sound of all the girls in CW history, but a less precise vibrato.

Bean Pháidín
I love how Eabha's voice is in contrast with the other two voices but also blends beautifully with them. A céili song in this particular, less upbeat style will probably mean a simpler coreography on tour and I like the idea. Interesting choice to leave the choir out of it, again it makes the song very simple yet very funny and enjoyable.

Westering Home
I'm not sure I can hear Rebecca on this song, but then I can't even hear Méav even if we know they are in the DVD performance, so I assume that would be a nice difference. This is supposed to be a closing song for the show, like The Parting Glass, but with less power, more a march than a ballad-anthem. The good of this simple group arrangements is that we can easily sing along even if we are not professional singers Cheesy

When You Go
This is another pop-ish song, with strong percussions and catchy beat. Just like in My Land, Susan's voice is very prominent while the other girls mostly provide harmonies. The melody of the chorus is just lovely, too bad we can't hear more fiddling if not on the background.

Like An Angel Passing Through My Room
Another slow song for Mairead C, but this time we get to hear a little more of her beautiful upper register... If we stay awake Smiley Sorry to say, but even if the song is beautiful it is a little too lullaby-style for her. It's nice to have a piano-singer piece again, but I would have preferred something warmer, in the style of The Blessing or Follow On.

Walk Beside Me
Eabha's other solo is just stunning. Again, her voice is heart-breaking but in a good way. This is a beautiful hymn to friendship and brotherhood/sisterhood. Beautiful lyrics with just an hint of gospel mood. Straight to my CW favourites.

Hills Of Ireland
A classic CW fiddle solo for Mairead N, this time mixed with some reminiscences of her previous solos, in a nice blend of past and present. The second part is very catchy and light, it's probably going to be one of my instrumental favourites along with The Foxhunter.

Skylands
The real surprise of this album. I wasn't sure about it when I heard the preview and the drums could actuallyresult annoyng in some parts, but the pop/rock sound mixed with the girls' voices is a very interesting combination. The arrangement reminded me of Runrig, with their mix of rock and traditional celtic music. Skylands may require more than a play to get into your head, but it is a very nice song indeed.

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 11:37AM »

Love your review and agree to large parts!

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 12:00PM »

I simply don't know what he means by that. (?)  Smiley the topic is Destiny with Celtic Woman.

I'll put my review here too, to avoid another topic  Wink

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 12:34PM by rfcw » Logged

Excalibur

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 12:33PM »

I simply don't know what he means by that. (?)

I'll put my review here too, to avoid another topic  Wink

I didn't want to open another thread.

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 12:40PM »

You weren't the first to post it's ok, but Excalibur this is your thread.. when I saw "avoiding another topic" then I guessed it had to do to either ShiningBright but her's was just an added input to Destiny speaking and mine was only a response to her input.

My reply to Shiningbright I wanted to say what I didn't agree on SFTH and Believe not as strong
but based on Shiningbright's inputs, I opened a new thread to topic it up there. If the review is for Destiny
then it's fine, but comparisons to other albums I get what you mean another topic.

Destiny will go, if someone add's an input like Shiningbright, then it's great,if we decide to tackle that subject
we'll transfer just like the copyright segment under sizzle reels which we finished.>

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:08PM by rfcw » Logged

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 12:45PM »

Great Review's Both of You, I enjoyed Reading Them every detail and Agree about MC wanting a solo ranging her complete voice ability, I hope she does and doesn't come across like Alex did in a sense.Smiley
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 12:47PM by rfcw » Logged

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 12:46PM »

I never said SFTH and Believe were not as strong! I love them!

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 01:02PM »

Yes I want to apologize for that, I misread ShiningBright,..Here is what you said..

Definitely as good as Songs From The Heart, if not better, and better than Believe. But I love all albums and they mostly share their place Wink

I never said SFTH and Believe were not as strong! I love them!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:23PM by rfcw » Logged

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 01:09PM »

My reply to Shiningbright I wanted to say what I didn't agree it's really not so possible to compare SFTH and Believe to ANJ or Destiny.

You weren't the first to post it's ok, but Excalibur this is your thread.. when I saw "avoiding another topic" then I guessed it had to do to either ShiningBright but her's was just an added input to Destiny speaking and mine was only a response to her input.

My reply to Shiningbright I wanted to say what I didn't agree on SFTH and Believe not as strong
but based on Shiningbright's inputs, I opened a new thread to topic it up there. If the review is for Destiny
then it's fine, but comparisons to other albums I get what you mean another topic.

Destiny will go, if someone add's an input like Shiningbright, then it's great,if we decide to tackle that subject
we'll transfer just like the copyright segment under sizzle reels which we finished.>

The answer I want to say is for A New Journey you can compare and also Celtic Woman, but Song's From The Heart and especially Believe
it's a different atmosphere..even comparing Sfth to ANJ can't be done, because one will win for fireworks the other for sophistication, one for Irish celebrate, and the other hope for America from Ireland.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:23PM by rfcw » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: