Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St Pete Florida December 17, 2015  (Read 3062 times)
dbbii

« on: December 17, 2015, 08:03AM »

Some observations on December 17th Christmas show.

Show was at the Mahaffey Theatre in St Petersburg, FL.   Old saying in the area is St Pete is “God’s Waiting Room”.   The crowd seemed to be representative of that.  I was in Row 10.  The Theatre is one of those venues that reserve the best tickets for their members, not the general public.  Seats about 2500 – it was mostly full.

Not sure exactly where the orchestra came from – I wasn’t impressed.  Part of that also may have been related to the sound system.  I had trouble hearing the girls – the orchestra overwhelmed them.

As mentioned on other threads Mairead C sang Silent Night.  This ranks right up there with her version of Nella Fanasia.  She has an absolutely beautiful voice and range.

Eabha’s voice is just perfect for Auld Lang Syne. 

You can really see Susan’s theatre background in her solos, especially We Three Kings with intro by Anthony.

On a somewhat related note, why bring Anthony on the tour when he only is in one song?

One drawback to a show with orchestra is the lack of space on the stage.  For those of us who have seen Mairead N on other shows, the tight conditions make it hard for her to do her usual high octane performance.  Her music however is still magical.

I am always amazed at how they do the show night after night and it’s always a great show.  I was at the Lisa Kelly show last Sunday in Atlanta.  While they were both Christmas shows, and had some of the same numbers, they were totally different.  Somehow, I just don’t see Celtic Woman doing Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.  Lisa and Chloe however could, and did, pull it off.   Lisa’s show was fun.  The symphony show was more sitting back and enjoying the music.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: