Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Destiny Audience  (Read 12296 times)
Jonas

GO Celtic Woman

« on: January 07, 2016, 10:35PM »

I heard a rumor that the audience for the Destiny recording wasn't as enthusiastic compared to the past.  I am aware that after Amazing Grace, they were really enthusiastic, but that's been a CW classic ever since SFTH when they first did that song.  I heard that a lot of their new songs got only a tepid and lukewarm response from the audience.  I would like to know if this is true?

dbbii

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 09:57AM »

I've listened to the CD a couple times and would comment that, while I like SOME of the songs, they are not the big, uplifting, group songs that typically get people excited.  Think something like TAR, Mo Ghile Mear, etc.

Will these, or something similar, be on the tour?  We will have to wait and see.

Sorator

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 04:36PM »

What little I've seen of the DVD on Youtube seemed to have incredibly lackluster staging compared to what we're used to. Like... it's just a stage, with the screen for a background, and a bit sticking out into the audience. That's it. Compared to the usual lights and set pieces. Even the simpler shows like Believe and the original Helix DVD had a lot of set work. By comparison, this was... well, incredibly disappointing. I think it's almost certainly a consequence of David not being involved in this one.

We're also missing a good ceili piece, too; Tir Na Nog isn't really the same, though it is upbeat, and neither is Oro se so bheatha 'bhaile. Again, I think that's a consequence of David not being involved (and maybe Brendan Graham as well).

Not having a good set to work with makes the choreography and showmanship in general fall rather flat - it makes a pretty big difference, even if the music is good as ever. I'd be surprised if the audience were as enthusiastic as in the past.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:39PM by Sorator » Logged
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 05:48AM »

I think Bean Phaidin is a ceili piece - though sadly, without ceili dresses. I hope that will be different on tour.

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 10:50AM »

Though the staging is a factor, if the audience had more favorites involved in Guests it wouldn't matter even more. Had Lil Lambe been in or Lynn Hilary as her first guest appearance alongside Meav would been grandor to watch. No one knows Rebecca other than outside of CW. I can imagine a new style of bringing Alex and Meav's tone in together even for one song. Having the ten year participants would been an added acknowledgement. A Wow factor of new, present, past with never before formers were among one another together and certainly would of made at least a ten year mark too to the CWX rotation after the tenth tour for audiences less confusing. No one would care about the set then. I understand Rebecca was for the harp. Eep

What little I've seen of the DVD on Youtube seemed to have incredibly lackluster staging compared to what we're used to. Like... it's just a stage, with the screen for a background, and a bit sticking out into the audience. That's it. Compared to the usual lights and set pieces. Even the simpler shows like Believe and the original Helix DVD had a lot of set work. By comparison, this was... well, incredibly disappointing. I think it's almost certainly a consequence of David not being involved in this one.

We're also missing a good ceili piece, too; Tir Na Nog isn't really the same, though it is upbeat, and neither is Oro se so bheatha 'bhaile. Again, I think that's a consequence of David not being involved (and maybe Brendan Graham as well).

Not having a good set to work with makes the choreography and showmanship in general fall rather flat - it makes a pretty big difference, even if the music is good as ever. I'd be surprised if the audience were as enthusiastic as in the past.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:59AM by rfcw » Logged

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
rolokav

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 10:07AM »

I was in the audience for the dvd recording. The audience were very appreciative of the girls. Why it seems less enthusiastic than previous dvds is because it was recorded in Dublin. The majority of the other dvds were recorded in the States where the girls are most well known and American audiences go wild for them. Irish audiences are more relaxed. Saying that throughout the show there was a number of standing ovations eg Amazing Grace. Its a different kind of show than before but no less incredible.   
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 04:37PM »

Hmmmm interesting... I am shocked that they weren't a little more excited but yet not so shocked. Since they are used to thensame old songs and arrangements the last few yearsaybe that's what they were expecting and kinda were just their?? But it was announced later that it was all new so maybe they didn't know what to expect? I like most of the cd and it can get you moving but there are a few songs that are a little heavier and not so jumping around more listening. Just like the other concerts you have some upbeat and some not... And yet they were in Ireland so there audience is a little different than american audiences. They are a little more used to being at shows and behaving different were Americans are more upbeat. And not many Americans had a chance last minute to go either just like sfth.

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 07:24PM »

I was in the audience for the dvd recording. The audience were very appreciative of the girls. Why it seems less enthusiastic than previous dvds is because it was recorded in Dublin. The majority of the other dvds were recorded in the States where the girls are most well known and American audiences go wild for them. Irish audiences are more relaxed. Saying that throughout the show there was a number of standing ovations eg Amazing Grace. Its a different kind of show than before but no less incredible.   
Actually.....  "Believe"  was  the  only   CW  DVD  recorded  in   the  States  here.  All  the  others  were  recorded  in  Ireland.   Cool

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 09:27AM »

wonder which songs are heavier and less jumpy
I thought Destiny was too jumpy, When You Go, etc.

I like most of the cd and it can get you moving but there are a few songs that are a little heavier and not so jumping around more listening.

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 06:50PM »

Actually.....  "Believe"  was  the  only   CW  DVD  recorded  in   the  States  here.  All  the  others  were  recorded  in  Ireland.   Cool
emerald was too 2 days after I saw them in Cle!!

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 07:02PM »

wonder which songs are heavier and less jumpy
I thought Destiny was too jumpy, When You Go, etc.

I like most of the cd and it can get you moving but there are a few songs that are a little heavier and not so jumping around more listening.
the heavier ones were like an angel passing my room, how can I keep from singing,( I actually haven't gottenused to theses songs just yet)  I see fire (I actually like this one though), walk beside me is more gospel but very pretty, and you can kind of add oro si do beatha bhaille to that to as even though it has a fast pace it's meaning is actually a rebellion song ( lisa and emmett in the bloody irish singing it makes more sense!) sometimes a prayer will do is not fast but if I have a bad day or in a rough predicament I listen to it or sing it to myself and it is a great song.
When you go is a fast jumpy one that's cute bean phaidin is fast and cute and Gaelic  which I think they were aiming for and needed and I can see them having fun w it on stage! Weathering home is in between I like it but its not very fast. And the whole of the moon is cute and can't get it out of my head and has a good beat and quite a catchy tune!! But it's better than hearing the same songs at a concert or on cd though so I am glad they changed it up a bit!!

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 05:32AM »

Yes, but Emerald is not a real CW special, more of a normal show that was recorded.

barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 03:34PM »

Yes, but Emerald is not a real CW special, more of a normal show that was recorded.
ah true plus a cd!  but thank you for making me feel better about it though!  It was not easy listening and seeing emerald since I knew 78 hours prior I  had seen them and they could have taped in Cleveland and did something to start off there 10 year anniversary (Even though for that too they used the same songs etc till now!)

Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 03:58PM »

Gonna see them in June...GONNA SEE MAIREAD...GONNA SEE MAIREAD!.....but looking forward to AWESOME EABHA, too. Now if I could only get a hold a a nice plastic "Fiddler Crossing" sign  Roll Eyes since I have front row.  Tongue

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
mattycakes
Honorary Roadie

Oh you have made me very angry, very angry indeed!

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 09:21AM »

I will agree that some of the Destiny songs, in particular the solo numbers and Ride On, are a bit slow and can be somewhat difficult to enjoy, especially if one were to be new to Celtic Woman. The group songs are, for the most part, fun and fast numbers (When You Gor, Tir Na Nog) or slower but powerful numbers (My Land, Westering Home).

With all of that being said, I do wonder, particularly with the new Celtic Woman management and production team, if any of the old songs are gonna be included on tour. I mean, obviously, certain songs such as Danny Boy and YRMU are cornerstones for Celtic Woman. But I wonder if other favorites, such as The Parting Glass, TAR or Nil, and (my particular favorite) Mo Ghile Mear will be returning.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: