Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Destiny Audience  (Read 12650 times)
rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 10:22AM »

My Observation would be if Tir Na Nog is the only big hit group moving song, then CW will be back to less thrilling like before during ANJ periods. SDS, and Níl would exit since they both returned for Emerald & stayed along for CWX. TAR would stay on a bit more since it proceeded after Níl so Níl would be off completely as At the Ceili did after 2011. I'm surprised ATC didn't even make it at least for a part of the tenth tour. Mo Ghile Mear is important and one of my favorites, it's been there since almost always. The Parting Glass is considered a big finale song so if it remains and Westering Home doesn't replace it, then YRMP would be a new staple like Amazing Grace and not like a finale giant as it use to be otherwise they'll be 3 big finale numbers! TAR's meaning is too well fit for ending a live evening concert so can't tell if TAR would be the last one of the night or a bonus end like Spanish Lady was, or Westering Home will do that conclusion be the last song of the night.

Yep  Wink

I will agree that some of the Destiny songs, in particular the solo numbers and Ride On, are a bit slow and can be somewhat difficult to enjoy, especially if one were to be new to Celtic Woman. The group songs are, for the most part, fun and fast numbers (When You Gor, Tir Na Nog) or slower but powerful numbers (My Land, Westering Home).

With all of that being said, I do wonder, particularly with the new Celtic Woman management and production team, if any of the old songs are gonna be included on tour. I mean, obviously, certain songs such as Danny Boy and YRMU are cornerstones for Celtic Woman. But I wonder if other favorites, such as The Parting Glass, TAR or Nil, and (my particular favorite) Mo Ghile Mear will be returning.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:37AM by rfcw » Logged

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
Jonas

GO Celtic Woman

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 01:58PM »

I will agree that some of the Destiny songs, in particular the solo numbers and Ride On, are a bit slow and can be somewhat difficult to enjoy, especially if one were to be new to Celtic Woman. The group songs are, for the most part, fun and fast numbers (When You Gor, Tir Na Nog) or slower but powerful numbers (My Land, Westering Home).

With all of that being said, I do wonder, particularly with the new Celtic Woman management and production team, if any of the old songs are gonna be included on tour. I mean, obviously, certain songs such as Danny Boy and YRMU are cornerstones for Celtic Woman. But I wonder if other favorites, such as The Parting Glass, TAR or Nil, and (my particular favorite) Mo Ghile Mear will be returning.

Mo Ghile Mear will probably remain on tour since they've first done it since the 2006 tour if I remember correctly which was before they even filmed ANJ.  I'd be shocked if it's not part of the Destiny tour.  I think TAR will remain as well since they kept At the Ceili for the SFTH tour which was a surprise to many of us.  I sadly doubt that the other two songs you hoped for will be part of the tour.

pammy314

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 11:56AM »

Think CW needs to film in the USA. Have the DVD and the audience looked like they were sleeping.  Embarrassed for the CW girls.  Also, who is the older man with longer hair--they keep going to him throughout the entire show.  Strange. 
CelticWomanFan425
Honorary Roadie

I saw Meav perform for the 1st time on 3/10/15

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 03:20PM »

Think CW needs to film in the USA. Have the DVD and the audience looked like they were sleeping.  Embarrassed for the CW girls.  Also, who is the older man with longer hair--they keep going to him throughout the entire show.  Strange. 

Thats Eabhas Dad

I met David Downes,Susan McFadden, Lynn, Lisa K(2x), Eabha, Mairead N, Mairead C, Chloe(2x), Lisa Lambe(2x), Orla, Anthony Byrne & Sarah Gannon, Edel Chan Murphy, Ewan Cowley (2x) & Roisin Dempsey.
Eric90

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 03:27PM »

well you see in Ireland They're not really anything special because over there everyone knows those songs they're traditional so to them it's just like going to a pub and Celtic Woman happen to be entertainers for the night. But in America Celtic Woman is a big deal because we're not used to all the tradition and Gaelic songs and whatnot and it fascinates people, and makes them want to learn more about Ireland and Celtic Mythology and hear more traditional songs and many are descended from Irish roots so it has a special place in our hearts cause it feels like home.

roy

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 06:57PM »

The Irish audience was just reacting to the disappointment of what they were seeing as I was upon watching the dvd for the first time last weekend.The material was flat,even though the girls voices sounded great.Even one of Mairead's new solo's sounded just like Granuilles Dance.No David Downes involvement was VERY recognizable.The audience for ANJ taping was much smaller,yet they were enthusiastic because of the quality of the song writing,production,and performance.If this would have been CW's beginning cd/dvd,they surely would not have lasted ten years with an international fan base.Sad to say this,but if this is all that's left,it's time to close up shop for CW.
CelticWomanFan425
Honorary Roadie

I saw Meav perform for the 1st time on 3/10/15

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 08:26PM »

The Irish audience was just reacting to the disappointment of what they were seeing as I was upon watching the dvd for the first time last weekend.The material was flat,even though the girls voices sounded great.Even one of Mairead's new solo's sounded just like Granuilles Dance.No David Downes involvement was VERY recognizable.The audience for ANJ taping was much smaller,yet they were enthusiastic because of the quality of the song writing,production,and performance.If this would have been CW's beginning cd/dvd,they surely would not have lasted ten years with an international fan base.Sad to say this,but if this is all that's left,it's time to close up shop for CW.

Are you going by the PBS special or the DVD because there are spoken things in the DVD that you really need to hear before you make comments like that.  If you are going by the dvd, then.....I disagree. I have to point out a few factors here 1. Meav was heavily involved in picking out the songs for this DVD & for the most part they were absolutely fantastic..there were only 2 songs on the entire DVD that i did not care for. Another thing..Mairead pointed out right then and there that her one solo was going to sound like Granuailles Dance, because i think it was written about the person she named when talking about the tune when she was about to play it.

I met David Downes,Susan McFadden, Lynn, Lisa K(2x), Eabha, Mairead N, Mairead C, Chloe(2x), Lisa Lambe(2x), Orla, Anthony Byrne & Sarah Gannon, Edel Chan Murphy, Ewan Cowley (2x) & Roisin Dempsey.
pammy314

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 04:48PM »

Oh, Eabha's dad. He was on camera a lot as well as Niamh Caitriona O'Sullivan (??girlfriend of Shane Barriscale of Crux and 4inabar)??
ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 05:03AM »

The fact that it dounds so similar is this: Máiréad and David wrote Granuaile's Dance together, partly using some traditional elements from older songs. This, for example. It's just natural. If CW were to sing Going Home then it would also sound like Non C'ie Piu, because it's based on the same melody by Dvorák! And Last Rose Fantasia does sound a lot like The Last Rose of Summer, because it's based on it! And on, and on, and on!

If the audience was not excited, then possibly because 1. the material of Destiny is not nearly as accessible as that of most other shows. The only one similar would be Songs From The Heart. It's lovely if you listen to it several times and get "into" it, but it's just not as easy as, for example, the mega hit A New Journey. Also, most songs are not nearly as well-known and yes, the arrangements are not as perfect. Méav did a great job, but in the end it's this: the arrangements are beautiful. And they fit the girls. And they are very good. But no one but David Downes is able to arrange songs in such a manner, that it seems he had written the song for each individual girl.He made each cover sound like an original meant for no one else but that performer. The Destiny arrangements sound like covers - but still like very good covers. The next thing is, many people have still not noticed that some members left years ago. I still see posts like "where is Chloe?" or "where is Lisa Kelly?" all over the internet and it's very likely that many audience members expected girls they have already seen on DVDs or tv shows and where disappointed by the completely different girls. Not because they were bad, but because they were unexpected.

Destiny has many great sides: It has brilliant guest stars, a beautiful staging, very good songs (most of them) and the best harmony since the original five. Yes, it's true. While every Celtic Woman is individually fabulous, not all line ups worked equally well and most in the last few years lacked a lot of harmony and equality. The way each voices work together and the way no girl has a kind of lead position, the current line up is most similar to the first one.

Excalibur

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 05:39AM »

Actually I think that in the last few years - let's call it the Lisa Lambe era) the girls used TOO MUCH harmonies instead, and that doesn't work too well in my opinion when you have only three vocalists and each one does her own harmony - especially when there is no choir or big orchestral arrangement. It worked beautifully from the beginning until Alex left, because there always were one or two girls doing the main melody as a background, to sustain the harmony without having it sound like a 50's vintage girl band.
Oddly enough, it seems to work a little better now that Eabha is in, bu I attribute that to the fact that she has a very deep, Orla-like voice. I assume it could have worked beautifully with three vocalists even in the past if one of them had been Orla or Eabha, but we will never know.
Anyway I agree about the equality: Emerald, for instance, always gave me the impression of giving more space to Lisa L and Chloe than Susan -perhaps because it was going to be the last DVD for them? Now Susan almost steals the scene in Destiny, being the main vocalist in two of the biggest songs on the DVD and having the most lively solos.
The problem of equality (which also gives us variety) is the reason why they chose to have Méav, Rebecca and Oonagh as guests. An easier way to make the show less boring without re-arranging everything. Alas, the audience is not always that naive.
As for variety, though I LOVED Méav's numbers, I have to say that if I were an Irish audience member I would be veeeeeery tired of hearing songs like Si Do Mhaimeo I, Oro Se Do Bheatha Bhaile, Danny Boy and so on. Try to make me listen to O Sole Mio for the 1000th time, I may still love it but it's not to exciting to my Italian ears. Here's the thing: no one is prophet in his own country, and so is Celtc Woman. They work better for the US and rest of the world.

All these factors may have led the Irish audience to not be too excited about Destiny compared to previous shows - oh and let's not forget that their last Irish show was HFC, with the most beautiful arrangements ever, with Méav as a prominent soloist and Christmas songs that everyone knows and loves.

ShiningBright
Honorary Roadie

let it carry me through darkest night

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 08:06AM »

By harmony, I didn't mean the style. I meant... you know... balance... how each fit to each other.

Yes, that was the problem with Susan. And the problem with equality: The original line up, also with Deirdre and Hayley, all were equals. But when Lynn and Alex came, they were in the background of Lisa and Chloe, at least when it came to attention. Lisa and Chloe were simply more dominant, but the sound was still great and it was a lovely line up. Then Lisa L came and was very dominant, so all three were equals. But when Lisa K left and Susan came, Chloe and Lisa were constantly clashing (musically, of course!), while Susan who had much less experience and was hardly accepted by most "fans" was simply lost. Also, at that time, the vocal harmonies were by far the worst, it sounded like three girls singing at the same time, but there was no true fit. All three girls would have worked much better in combination with an entirely different line up. There were two "fighting" (of course, they did not really fight, as no girl wanted to be the boss, it was simply their voices and the arrangements) lead singers and one normal member who was simply overlooked. Then, when Chloe left and Mai C came, it got different again. Susan had more experience at that time and got herself a place, while Mai worked herself into it very fast. Still, Lisa Lambe was in a way the "lead singer" and that didn't work out either, and Lisa herself grew out of Celtic Woman, as she is too much of a soloist. It's her charisma, she is naturally the center of attention, without wanting it. Then the returns of Lynn, Méav and Alex worked musically perfect with Susan and Mairéad, but of course, the "old" girls were the stars. Now, with Éabha, they have returned to the original kind of line up: all three equal in their position with no girl dominating the others and with no girl being lost in her position, at the same time voices that work perfectly together. They can sound like one, but you can also hear every single voice at once just at will, a harmony only the original five were to archieve until now. While I love all these women equally, I don't think all line-ups worked equally well, simply because of how dominant the singer naturally is. And it's much more difficult with three singers, because, like the EMG line up, two dominant and one recessive singer don't make a good line up, no matter how wonderful they individually are and no matter hoe much they like each other. It's also a matter of age - younger Chloe and younger Lisa would have harmonied better with Susan. And a fourth girl could have actually made it a really good line up. But then, there were also no new songs in the Believe 2.0/EMG time, so it was certainly the poorest era for CW. Destiny is a great comeback.

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2016, 03:06PM »

They're all respected equally, Lynn had 1 DVD so Did Alex, but Alex is in a way other than CWX on the sidelines for PBS material whereas Susan & Lisa L are now Dominant equally now that Susan's on Destiny.

Well I see every Celtic Woman is significant but at various times.
For instance, starting with SFTH, Lynn was well represented as a next official CW - The same as for Eabha & Lisa L.
As for Alex it suppose to be the exact same for her for a fact she has become a full time member with CW since Orla's
departing, to keep her was well accepted appreciative had it had not been so to Deirdre. Lynn may not have been as dominant as Chloe or Lisa K but was significant, she appeared on way more than Alex in Pie Jesu & group number's like GBMA. Alex was respected in start beginnings to songs like The Call, and Amazing Grace however, where Lynn stepped in later on AG. Alex I would say was example like Orla in the very first show.
Orla because of her voice, didn't appear on some group songs and appeared at the final big part of YRMP. Orla became the most dominant with all the member's on ANJ.

As for Deirdre/Hayley for ANJ  Plus Deirdre & Alex Difference's
If Hayley wasn't a guest, Deirdre could well have
been made sixth member or even guest, but Hayley was a true phenomenon needed to kick CW to the next level. Although at the time CW never planned about introducing new member's in. So whether Hayley was first called in as Guest or for a new member I don't know what to say. She did tour and was invited along, to stay wow would been a success even more.x Perhaps had Lisa K been on maternity at the time instead of Meav & Alex was in instead of Deirdre, had Alex's continuance may of been the same result as Deirdre.

SFTH was a refreshing new/ yet with some of your most favorites proving that CW can still be the same it has been but giving chances for new artists
to be discovered like Lynn & Alex. I am satisfied so grateful for Alex able to be respected as a CW member too. I'm very sure Alex would had
the same as Lynn had if they respected the two equally in same amount of participation in songs, and all. I feel they missed a Chloe & Alex duet
or have an extra song with only Alex, Chloe & Lisa K to sum it up equal.

Smiley Alex- All she needed extra for SFTH!
Alex was just missing in more material to be recorded. SFTH should of had Walking The Night, at least with Lynn & Alex or Chloe & Alex.
plus My Heart Was Home Again was great heart material for Alex. She could of duet it with Lisa K or had as an extra solo
figuring Lynn had Pie Jesu!

Alex would have been dominant had she remained member for Believe. Broadway was great for her similar to Susan also.
Alex was great to have on CW on a DVD, but wish she was featured focused more like Eabha, Lynn, Lisa L, & Susan.
This is Mairead C's first DVD but she is presented as equally as Lynn perhaps a bit more since the three member platform.

Alex, Lynn, Mairead C & Eabha what ever is left would indeed benefit a 3rd Holiday special if possible!

That's my conclusion Smiley
Do you Agree?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:26PM by rfcw » Logged

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
rfcw
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 08:54AM »

- I Do have to say of all pairing's that appeared too dominant:
 I'd say Lisa K, Lisa L & Chloe combination as well as Lisa K, Lynn & Chloe those 2 separately were among
the most beautiful trio's in lineup.

How Lisa L's similar character of confidence & bravery stamina as Chloe & Lisa K fitted them 3 so well for a production as titled BELIEVING.
-Whereas Lynn's heavenly soul pure sound along Chloe & Lisa K these 3 fitted so well for a titled production being Lullaby.

A lot of people loved the Susan, Chloe & Lil Lambe pairing, though to me it didn't quite feel complete..
as the other two above.  Maybe Alex, Susan & Lisa L as a broadway formation would that click tremendously Well!

Mairead C, Susan & Lynn was however an iconic and heroric lineup of friendship like we'd known Lisa K & Chloe for so Long..

Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:58AM by rfcw » Logged

Jonas

GO Celtic Woman

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 06:57AM »

Update: I just found out that "I See Fire" got cheers from the audience.  I wonder if it's only because of how popular the song is due to it being from the second Hobbit movie.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: