Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Woman at the Grammy's!!!  (Read 8734 times)
avalonfreak06

« on: February 09, 2017, 12:35PM »

Anyone else besides me think that Celtic Woman should get the opportunity to perform at the Grammy's? They are not on TV as much as they should be Smiley
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 12:45PM »

It would be nice if CW could perform but I don't think they are wacko enough for the audience and producers. Sad

Ref:  Lady Gaga at the Super Bowl.  This is apparently what passes for entertainment now.  Really loud bad music, unintelligible lyrics and dozens of spastic dancers for some reason. Sad Sad Sad  (and lip synching -- yes, she did)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 12:50PM by Jim M. » Logged
Maloney
Featured Soloist

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 03:19PM »

I would love it !  I might even watch the grammys.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 10:37AM by Maloney » Logged

=)  yes!! We got to go ! 
Then there was Atlanta !
avalonfreak06

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 04:28PM »

It would be nice if CW could perform but I don't think they are wacko enough for the audience and producers. Sad

Ref:  Lady Gaga at the Super Bowl.  This is apparently what passes for entertainment now.  Really loud bad music, unintelligible lyrics and dozens of spastic dancers for some reason. Sad Sad Sad  (and lip synching -- yes, she did)

Celtic Woman for next years Superbowl Halftime Show!!! Smiley
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 04:34PM »

I'll vote for that! Wink
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 06:55PM »

I'll vote for that! Wink
  Same  here !    Cool

CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

One CWazy Canadian! Chlovër for life!

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 10:22PM »

I would LOVE it if they could perform at the Grammy Awards or the Super Bowl!

I would be really excited for them if they went mainstream! But I'd also be worried. Here's why:

1. Mainstream music could come at the expense of the identity we know and love. What if the mainstream audience values different things than we do? What would that do to our Celtic Woman? How would the product change and would we still love it as much if it did?

2. From the opposite perspective, how would mainstream audiences change how Celtic Woman feels about their fans. I honestly think we're one of the most special fan bases in the world. I think we share a special connection with Celtic Woman that a mainstream audience by and large wouldn't. Would a mainstream audience be as supportive of our girls? It would be a very, very different experience for them.

I'll give you an example to illustrate my point. My singer-friend Kate did a live stream on Periscope last year. For those who don't know, Periscope basically lets random people beam into your broadcast. It can be good for expanding your audience, but most of the people tuning in know nothing about the performer and may not even be interested in music. It was kind of traumatic for her because instead of her usual supportive fan base, she had random people being rude to her or to each other.

Celtic Woman is very sheltered from that kind of thing because of the way we are as fans and how much they mean to us. A general audience that doesn't connect with them as deeply would treat them very differently.

3. It honestly annoys me when I go to a concert and people are being disrespectful or just don't care. I know everyone's not going to love them as much as we do, but with a mainstream audience, the proportion of those less-interested fans would be MUCH higher.

Anyways, I wish nothing but the best for our girls. I just wanted to share sort of a different perspective for the sake of interest.

Tara Forum (@TaraMcNeilForum)
http://www.taramcneillforum.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TaraMcNeillForum/

CaraNua Fans (@CaraNuaFans)

Candy Canadiana (@candycanfans)
https://www.facebook.com/CandyCanFans
BlueAquaOcean

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 10:07AM »

Do we know what time they'll announce the World Music category?
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 11:25AM »

I  haven't  heard  an  exact  time  for  that,  but I'm  guessing  it  might  be  within  the  1st  hour of  events  since  "Best International Album"  is  probably  not considered  one  of  the  "major"  categories.   This  will  mark  the  1st  time  I  will have  ever  watched  the Grammys. 

CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 11:37AM »

I  haven't  heard  an  exact  time  for  that,  but I'm  guessing  it  might  be  within  the  1st  hour of  events  since  "Best International Album"  is  probably  not considered  one  of  the  "major"  categories.   This  will  mark  the  1st  time  I  will have  ever  watched  the Grammys. 

Yeah, haven't heard an exact time.

I just have the general times:
- Red carpet at 3:00 PM ET
- Pre-show awards stream 3:30 PM ~ 6:30 PM ET

I'm going to try to record it from the Grammy.com stream (I don't have CBS all access so I'm not sure I can even stream it from CBS).

My efforts to capture live video and system audio in the past have met with mixed results. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. So if anyone else wants to try capturing the video/audio of the World Music part, that would increase our chances of having at least one viable copy.

I use Movavi Video Suite. I had to disable 5.1 sound and fall back to just good old stereo speaker configuration to get it to pick up 2 channels. If I ran in 5.1 configuration, it collapsed the captured audio into a single channel and severely diminished the captured volume as well.

I tried WM Capture, but with that application, I also had to drop to stereo configuration to capture system audio properly. Also, it insisted on picking up Microphone audio and I couldn't find an easy way to configure it to only pick up system audio in the time I allocated for testing. Rather than unplug or disable my microphone and webcam too, I'm just going to go with Movavi today.

hkfan

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 03:48PM »

The winner of the category was Yo-Yo Ma & the Silk Road ensemble.
Hopefully they will get another chance.
Just announced around 4:35p (eastern time)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:52PM by hkfan » Logged
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 06:34PM »

We had a discussion on Mairead Nesbitt's forum about the Grammys and the voting process:

http://maireadforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6805.0

The conclusion was that as much as the Recording Academy wants to you believe they're choosing the best in each category based on their expert opinions, it's basically a glorified "insider" popularity contest. Lots of the people that vote on a nominee to win a particular category haven't even listen to some of the other work (maybe haven't even listened to the work they voted for).

Oh well. It would have been nice to win, but at the end of the day, they don't need the nod of the Recording Academy to validate the quality of their work and neither do I.  Wink

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 07:21PM »

We had a discussion on Mairead Nesbitt's forum about the Grammys and the voting process:

http://maireadforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6805.0

The conclusion was that as much as the Recording Academy wants to you believe they're choosing the best in each category based on their expert opinions, it's basically a glorified "insider" popularity contest. Lots of the people that vote on a nominee to win a particular category haven't even listen to some of the other work (maybe haven't even listened to the work they voted for).

Oh well. It would have been nice to win, but at the end of the day, they don't need the nod of the Recording Academy to validate the quality of their work and neither do I.  Wink

Ditto....    Wink  ...  and  neither  do  I    Cool

Ganconagh

Resistance is futile

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 02:29PM »

The Grammy Awards really have become just another popularity contest for the recording industry; and the show itself has become too much of a display of who can be the flashiest/who can be the most outrageous/who can be the most emotional performer or speaker/who can be the most politically concerned...  This sounds like a case of sour grapes, but winning an award from this crowd is not what it used to be, and I'm glad that Celtic Woman is not in that "circle".  Yeah, Yo-Yo Ma is great and deserves any award he receives; and yeah, it's still an honor to be nominated.  That said, it's obvious that the Celtic Woman nomination is way overdue and probably comes from the industry offering a "hat-tip" after finally noticing that all of their music releases debut at #1 on the World Music Chart (and rightly so) and remain there for weeks and weeks.  The people with clout don't even know what they're voting for so they vote for any artist they've heard of.  (I would bet that there were voters who got to Celtic Woman on the ballot and said "Who's she?")         
  Well, anyway... I needed to vent somewhere...  Congratulations to Celtic Woman for the Grammy Award nomination, and I hope y'all left LA before ya got any stank on ya!  ...see ya next month!

"Face piles of trials with smiles.  It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free."
Jim M.
Choir Member

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 03:13PM »

The Grammy Awards show has become a "freak show".  (I would like to have one percent of the money spent on drugs or MRIs by some of those people.  I'm sure some were dropped on their heads as children.)  I'm glad the top awards were won by a non-freak, Adele.
(I wouldn't go to a Beyonce concert if you paid me.)  (Well, maybe if you paid me A LOT, but I would use earplugs and wouldn't watch.) Wink
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 03:15PM by Jim M. » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: