Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Way of the Rain - Voices of Hope  (Read 6507 times)
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

One CWazy Canadian! Chlovër for life!

« on: October 18, 2017, 11:07PM »

Mairead will be performing at Carnegie Hall with ...

Lynn Hilary!  Shocked

Video:
https://www.facebook.com/maireadnesbittcelticviolinist/videos/1998773510401921/

I'm so very excited to be returning to Carnegie Hall, this time for the collaboration of the brilliant Enviromental Artist Sibylle Szaggars Redford & Tim Janis for the world premiere "The Way of the Rain - Voices of Hope" concert December 1st 8pm. I'm honored to share the stage with Robert Redford Al Gore, N. Scott Momaday, Loreena McKennitt, Robert Mirabal, Lynn Hilary Alex Boye' Laura Dias Chesapeake Youth Symphony Orchestra, conductor Julien Benichou & The Way of the Rain - Voices of Hope Choir, choir master Matt Vancini. In custom Synan O Mahony Designer.
Tickets go on sale THIS FRIDAY through Carnegie Hall Box Office at goo.gl/U416er or (212) 247-7800 with a special fan 30% discount code FAN27828 starting at 11am EST to Oct 23rd 11.59pm EST.
A Music, Art & Film Experience- An Homage to Planet Earth. See you there!

Tara Forum (@TaraMcNeilForum)
http://www.taramcneillforum.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TaraMcNeillForum/

CaraNua Fans (@CaraNuaFans)

Candy Canadiana (@candycanfans)
https://www.facebook.com/CandyCanFans
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 04:13AM »

Mairead will be performing at Carnegie Hall with ...

Lynn Hilary!  Shocked

Video:
https://www.facebook.com/maireadnesbittcelticviolinist/videos/1998773510401921/

I'm so very excited to be returning to Carnegie Hall, this time for the collaboration of the brilliant Enviromental Artist Sibylle Szaggars Redford & Tim Janis for the world premiere "The Way of the Rain - Voices of Hope" concert December 1st 8pm. I'm honored to share the stage with Robert Redford Al Gore, N. Scott Momaday, Loreena McKennitt, Robert Mirabal, Lynn Hilary Alex Boye' Laura Dias Chesapeake Youth Symphony Orchestra, conductor Julien Benichou & The Way of the Rain - Voices of Hope Choir, choir master Matt Vancini. In custom Synan O Mahony Designer.
Tickets go on sale THIS FRIDAY through Carnegie Hall Box Office at goo.gl/U416er or (212) 247-7800 with a special fan 30% discount code FAN27828 starting at 11am EST to Oct 23rd 11.59pm EST.
A Music, Art & Film Experience- An Homage to Planet Earth. See you there!

Wow !  Great  find  Tom.   Shocked

rfcw
Honorary Roadie

Alex Lynn as next guest DVD, Susan LL next Castle

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 10:36AM »

Mairead alongside Lynn Hilary Shocked Time Again! They certainly don't disappear these member exits.

Down the winding road where my Caranua\'s/CW GEMS are!<br /><br /><br />[img]https://thumb.ibb.co/d0ovKv/FB_IMG_15025
The Quiet Man

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 10:38AM »

This is almost a month after the fact, but, for those who wondered what happened and couldn't make it:

More often than not I try to make it to Maine composer Tim Janis's Carnegie Hall show around Christmas. He always puts on a good show, and always pulls in great talent, often including crossover favorites. This year he was doing an environmental concert called "The Way of the Rain - Voices of Hope." Although environmentalism isn't really my cup of tea, I very much wanted to see Celtic Woman alumnae fiddler Mairead Nesbitt and soprano Lynn Hilary. I broke away from work early and made it to Rosie O'Grady's just south of Carnegie Hall at about 5, where I met two other fans for dinner. After an excellent meal of filet mignon medallions, we went over to Carnegie Hall, where the stage door is the only way in or out for the artists, hoping to say hello to a few. We did see Mairead, who appeared almost out of nowhere, still very high energy, and hugged all of us, saying she could only say a quick hello, but to enjoy the show.

The show itself is a little hard to describe. I had bought a box seat so I had a very good view of the stage, occupied by a good 500 members of the Chesapeake Youth Symphony and six youth choirs from the area, all of them dressed "in white for hope," and the back wall, where they projected several nature films as the program progressed. The first portion of it broke down into three distinct sections dealing with, respectively, the cosmic origins of earth, the four elements, and the earth itself. Mairead, in a peach/gold costume by CW's dress designer Synan O'Mahony, stood mostly off to the right of the conductor, and played throughout. Unfortunately a lot of the lighting was very dim so the films would dominate what you saw, which made a good shot of her hard to get. The first part, dealing with the formation of the earth, would not have sounded out of place as the score to a science fiction movie, although it did not surpass Haydn's "The Creation." The "Milky Way" sequence, featuring NJ vocalist Devlin Stark, who strongly resembles a younger Hayley Westenra, was particularly impressive.

The four elements sequence was mostly impressive in that it featured great talent - AGT winner Alex Boye singing his Swahili "Baba Yetu," which is a version of the Lord's Prayer, pop vocalist Laura Dias' "Song to the Moon," and Lynn Hilary, looking like an angel in white, providing vocals for Tim Janis' "Air" sequence. Kiowa performer Robert Mirabal, in full regalia, was the featured performer in the "Fire" sequence.

Probably the most appealing of the three initial sections to me was the earth section, which heavily featured Canadian Celtic performer Loreena McKennit, performing four of her own pieces: "To the Fairies they Draw Near," "Two Trees," "The Old Ways," and "Dante's Prayer" together with Tim Janis' "Fall of the Great Forest." Her mystic lyrics and haunting vocals were in a lot of ways the highlight of the show.

After that was where things got a little odd, as actor Robert Redford and wheelchair-bound poet N. Scott Momaday engaged in a dialogue about their views on environmentalism and their lives vis-à-vis the planet over subdued piano masic by Tim. Frankly I found some of it a little much, as each praised the other heavily and they spoke as though they alone had some special insight into environmentalism, but I suppose it's no different than veterans telling their stories in a similar fashion. A film called "The Arrival of Rain" followed than, and then the last sequence, called simply "Hope," began, with a speech by former Vice President Al Gore, which I will say little about, to keep it non-partisan.

Much of the final sequence was dominated by Robert Mirabal and his daughters, vocalists Aspen, Kona, and Masa, with assistance by colorfully costumed Indian dancer Evan Trujillo. Although the vocals and dancing were certainly talented, I have to say that, as someone of a decidedly different view on life, I found some of Mirabal's faux-profound chatter about the earth and his thoughts on man's relationship to it to be tedious rather than inspiring, just as I'm sure some people attending the VA International Tattoo back in April probably found the host's telling of the story of the last American veteran of World War I over the chorus' rendition of "Hector the Hero" pompous rather than heroic. What you hear and how you hear it often depends on where you are listening from. The show finished with the singing of The Wailin' Jennys' "One Voice" by all performers.

Since you can slip out more quickly from the box seats, I was one of the first people to make it to the stage door, in the hopes of saying hi again to Mairead, and also hi to Lynn, who we hadn't noticed on the way in. I chatted a bit with Deviln Stark and her family and wished them a safe journey back to Red Bank, and then the other fans joined me, or I should say joined the crowd. It was probably a good hour before they managed to move all the kids out of the theater, match them up with their parents, chaperones, etc, and get them on their way. We persisted long after almost everyone else had gone, and did get to say goodnight to Tim and his wife, as well as pay our compliments to Robert and his daughters and also to Laura. They actually turned off the hall lights at the stage door, but we didn't despair, no one was staying overnight at Carnegie Hall and we knew it. Finally Mairead and Lynn came down, with a few remaining staffers, Jim Masters had hosted an afterparty and they had spent a fair amount of time schmoozing with Robert Redford. Nonetheless, Mairead had time for a much bigger hug for me and a happy birthday to another fan, as well as a few pictures. The real miracle of the evening was Lynn, normally shy and reserved, having not only plenty to say, but giving each of us a white rose from a bouquet she'd been given. Normally the fans give the performers flowers, not the other way around, so each of us, as we finally made our way off into the night, left with what might be considered a "relic" of Celtic Woman. How often does that happen?
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

One CWazy Canadian! Chlovër for life!

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 06:54PM »

Great recap!

To meet Lynn in such a way is a rare and beautiful gift indeed!

Tara Forum (@TaraMcNeilForum)
http://www.taramcneillforum.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TaraMcNeillForum/

CaraNua Fans (@CaraNuaFans)

Candy Canadiana (@candycanfans)
https://www.facebook.com/CandyCanFans
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: