Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jenny's Recipe Corner  (Read 32283 times)
Celtic Jenny
« on: March 31, 2007, 10:14PM »

I wanted to start this thread to see if we could maybe gather up some recipes.  Yes, I'm a recipe hound and proud of it!  Between Brian and myself, we cook some pretty mean vittles around our house.  I'm particularly interested in collecting some good Irish Recipes (Maggie where are you?).  I'm looking for a good Irish soda bread that includes some raisins in the recipe as well as an Irish stew, potato dishes etc.. whatever is traditional fare in Ireland.

However, that stated I wouldn't mind collecting some other recipes here... Maybe we could collect enough recipes to put together our own cook book!

Let's get cooking! -- Bon Appetite!!

Celtic Jenny xxxx
Elizabeth

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 02:00AM »

THANKS for this section, and the Irish recipe collection especially! I'm looking forward to trying out some new dishes!! Cheesy

One of my favorite sections on one of the older forums was the Irish/Gaelic section -- I was heartbroken to lose the vast wealth of information and links that Maggie and others had so kindly posted for all of us. Cry

Thanks for starting it up again. I love reading about the history, culture, language -- and recipes! -- of Ireland!

Elizabeth
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 02:04AM by Elizabeth » Logged

MEAV:  FOREVER IN OUR HEARTS A CELTIC WOMAN
Sassy

Ni Caoim

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 02:21AM »

My Mom used to make Irish Soda bread, I'll have to remember to ask her for the recipe for you, when I go visit them next time.  I do think she did put raisins in it, if I'm not mistaken.  My mother did all her own baking at one time, so we always had great meals with homemade bread/rolls and awesome desserts too!
Celtic Jenny
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 08:08AM »

Can't wait to try them... We'll have to see how many recipes we can conjure up!  I have to look through mine and try to post a few as well.

Jenny x
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 09:38AM »

Sausage and mushroom pie:

Ingredients
    * 1lb Bangers (sausage)
    * 2 oz butter
    * 2 onions sliced
    * 1/2 lb small button mushrooms
    * 1 1/2 oz plain flour
    * 1/2 pt milk
    * 1/2 pt chicken stock
    * Salt and pepper to taste
    * 1/2 lb puff pastry
    * 1 egg beaten or a little milk

Method
Pre-heat the oven to hot, 200 C (~400 F), putting in the sausages on a roasting tin to cook. Remove in about 20 minutes and leave to cool. Soften the onions in the melted butter over a low heat. Add the mushrooms and stir for 1 or 2 minutes. Sieve the flour over the mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock and milk gradually, stirring continuously. Bring to boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Season to taste, and leave to cool. Roll out the pastry thinly on a floured board, and line a deep pie dish. Put the sausages into the dish, pour the sauce over them and cover with the remaining pastry. Press the edges well together. Brush over with remaining egg or milk. Make one or two small holes in the pastry lid with a skewer. Bake in the pre- heated oven for about 40 minutes, and serve hot.
Serves 4 to 6.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Sassy

Ni Caoim

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 12:28PM »

Ohhhhhh that recipe sounds so yummy!
Thomas
Total Fanatic

I am The Voice - I will remain (Thank You CC)

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 01:06PM »

Unless it involves a microwave, you better leave me out.

Banner by Scott

IDIC - Live long and prosper
Meldy

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 06:26PM »

Cool, I looove cooking especially new stuff.  Thanks!

Banner by:  Scott
Maggie
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 10:19PM »

Unless it involves a microwave, you better leave me out.

No Irish cook would dream of using a microwave for cooking, maybe to defrost or warm up something.

I have eaten tons of soda bread in every part of Ireland, and none of it had raisins or fruit in it.

When the members of our Irish club bring soda bread to the meetings, you can tell the cooks born in the USA - they put fruit in it, the Irish-born cooks don't.

Here is a traditional recipe:

The original recipe for Irish soda bread uses only four ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, and buttermilk or sour milk. Soda bread is best when fresh, the same day as
it is baked.

Ingredients

4 cups      wholemeal flour    
4 cups      white flour    
2 tsp            salt    
2 tsp            baking soda    
3½ cups        buttermilk

If you can't get buttermilk, use fresh milk soured with a tablespoon of lemon juice.

Method:
 Mix together all the dry ingredients.
 Create a well in the center and pour in half of the buttermilk. Mix carefully and slowly add just enough buttermilk to make a soft dough. You may not need to use all of the buttermilk. Add fruit if desired.
 Turn dough out on a floured surface. Do not knead or handle dough too much, this could cause the bread to toughen. Seperate the dough into 2 loaves and quickly shape into 2 circles.
  Place the loaves on a baking sheet, or in a greased 7 inch pie pan and cut a deep cross onto the top with a knife. Let it rest about 30 minutes, covered by a clean cloth.
# Bake at 450° F (230 ° C) for 15 minutes, then reduce to 400° F (200 ° C) and bake for an additional 25 minutes. The bread will be a light brown. Turn out onto a rack to cool.

Tomorrow: My specialty - Beef in Guinness!
(My Priest is from Ireland and loves this one)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 10:25PM by Maggie » Logged
aislin
Administrator
Total Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 11:47PM »

Bailey’s Irish Cream Chocolate Chip Cheesecake

Must be made at least 1 day in advance!

Ingredients:

Crust:
2 c. Oreo cookie crumbs (kinda hard to find)
1/4 c. sugar
6 tbs. melted butter

or

Crust:
2 packets of Oreo crumbs from 2 boxes of Jell-o No Bake Oreo Pie (the sugars already in there)
8 tbs. melted butter

Filling:
2 1/4 lbs. (4 1/2 packages) cream cheese at room temp
1 2/3 c. sugar
5 eggs at room temperature
1 c. Bailey’s Irish Cream
1 tbs. Vanilla
1 c. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Recipe:

Crust:
1.   Mix all ingredients
2.   Press into a 10" (or nearly 10") spring form pan and up ths sides one inch
3.   Bake at 325° for 7-10 minutes

Filling:
1.   Beat cream cheese with electric mixer until smooth
2.   Beat sugar in gradually
3.   And eggs one at a time
4.   Blend in Bailey’s and vanilla
5.   Sprinkle half of chocolate chips over crust
6.   Spoon in filling
7.   Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips
8.   Bake at 325° degrees approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes or until puffed, springy in the center and golden brown
9.   Cool cake completely
10.   Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve (1 to 2 days)
Elizabeth

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 02:50AM »

Our very first recipes!!  Cheesy  Thanks everyone!! I've already printed these out so I can make a shopping list. Please keep them coming!

Btw, what is served on traditional holidays such as Christmas and St. Patrick's Day, which I've heard is celebrated with a big family meal somewhat like our Thanksgiving? I know on the Martha Stewart episode they prepared a Fish and Chips meal, but that's not what would have been served in most homes, to my understanding.

MEAV:  FOREVER IN OUR HEARTS A CELTIC WOMAN
Anderpaw
Total Fanatic

Love the pipes!

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 11:50AM »

I'm not much of a cook, but I can't wait to try these recipes. My family will have to let me work on them for a couple of hours, though. My 2 year old has a habit of pulling my shorts down and running away laughing! That just won't work while I'm cooking! Cheesy Cheesy

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 07:18AM »

Steak and Guiness Pie

Ingredients

12 inch Pie pastry
1 or 2 pounds of Round steak
1 tablespoon of Flour
1 tablespoon of Brown sugar
1 tablespoon of Raisins
5 medium size onions
1 bottle of Guinness stout (not the 'draught' variety)
8 slices of bacon
3 tablespoon of shortening/butter
Chopped parsley

Method

Dice the steak, cover with flour and brown, with the bacon, on a medium heat using the butter. Peel and chop the onions and brown over a good heat. Add to the meat in a caserole dish. Add raisins and brown sugar and Guinness. Cover the dish, simmer and cook over a lowish heat for 2.5 hours. Add water if the gravy mixuture starts to thicken excessively. Coat a pie dish with half of the pastry and bake. Add the Meat and Gravy mix when cooked and place the remaining pastry on top and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with potatoes and vegetables.  Makes 1 pie - 4 servings.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Hannahlmatt
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 08:49AM »

I have a recipe, but it's not Irish

Snappy Bites

1 c. butter or margarine
2 c. flour
3 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. crispy rice cereal

Combine all ingredients, mix well. Pinch off small pieces of dough and shape into balls. Place on baking sheet. Bake in 350 degree (F) oven for 15 minutes. Makes about 8 dozen. Snappy bites freeze well.

My great aunt makes this recipe for just about any get together.

Hannahlmatt
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 10:46AM »

I have another easy recipe that no one can mess up!!

A little water (H20) makes a little ice, and a lot of water (H20) makes a lot of ice!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: