Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jenny's Recipe Corner  (Read 32285 times)
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 05:36PM »

There's about 50 different versions of shepherd's pie.  The Basque region of Spain has its own, there's an Alaskan recipe using salmon, etc., etc., etc.  But here's a standard recipe that works:

Ingredients
1-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled
1 pound roast lamb or mutton, minced
3 ounces butter
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 pint lamb stock (made from drippings of the roast with the fat taken off)
Salt and pepper
1/4 pint (approximately) milk

Instructions
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/375 degrees F. Fry the onion in 1 ounce of the butter until lightly browned. Stir the onion into the minced meat and season well with salt and pepper. Add the stock until the mince has a soft, moist consistency. Put into an oven-proof dish and leave to form a skin.

Meanwhile, boil and drain the potatoes. Mash them with at least 1 ounce of butter and enough milk to make them creamy. Season them well. Spread the potatoes over the minced meat, roughen the top with a fork, and dot with the remaining butter. Bake for 30 minutes at the top of the oven so the potato is well browned.

Variations
Worcestershire sauce or cayenne pepper can be added for a hotter flavor. The top can be glazed with beaten egg if a crisper top is desired.

Yield: 6 servings

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
<3 Lauren
Total Fanatic

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 05:40PM »

THANK YOU RICH!! <3

<3 Lauren

<3
Sorgi

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2007, 03:18PM »

Attempting the Beef and Guinness pie tonight.  Going with Green Beans fresh from the garden and Champ

-Dan

jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2007, 04:36PM »

I just found this sight full of Irish recipes. I hope that the link works. Smiley

http://fp.enter.net/~rburk/stpatricksday/stpatrick'sdayrecipes.htm

Enjoy!
Jammalot
Honorary Roadie

Finally back!

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2007, 03:35AM »

I hope this is any help:

www.joyofbaking.com ! Grin Loads of yummy things there ! Grin

Wel, here's a map and here's a bible, if you ever lose your way

By Scott

Ty Rich! Grin
Maggie
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2007, 02:10PM »

I just found this sight full of Irish recipes. I hope that the link works. Smiley

Enjoy!

These might be very good recipes, but they're not from Ireland.
One clue is it has corned beef and cabbage, which I had never tasted until I came to the US, and you won't find in Ireland unless they get an influx of American Tourists demanding it.
Another test for me is to look at the soda bread recipe......my Mum and Aunts made soda bread to die for, and never put raisins, caraway seeds or other gunk in there.
They never had a written recipe either. My Mum had one of those old brass weigh scales with the individual weights, but never used it!

Here are recipes from Ireland:

http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/culture/recipes/index.shtm
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2007, 07:29PM »

My mother used to make corned beef that she learned from my Grandmother (who was German) and was supposed to have been a favorite of my Grandfathers. However since they were divorced and my grandfather died in the mid 50s at 75 I can't verify it.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
KiernanKate
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2007, 07:30PM »

My mother makes the best potato dumplings.... and sadly enough.....

none of my friends even know what they are.
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2007, 10:17PM »

Enjoy!

These might be very good recipes, but they're not from Ireland.
One clue is it has corned beef and cabbage, which I had never tasted until I came to the US, and you won't find in Ireland unless they get an influx of American Tourists demanding it.
Another test for me is to look at the soda bread recipe......my Mum and Aunts made soda bread to die for, and never put raisins, caraway seeds or other gunk in there.
They never had a written recipe either. My Mum had one of those old brass weigh scales with the individual weights, but never used it!

Here are recipes from Ireland:

http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/culture/recipes/index.shtm

Oops sorry! Embarrassed So everyone enjoy the recipes and forget the Irish part. Wink  Cheesy Cheesy
Thanks Maggie for letting us know!
Maggie
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2007, 11:05PM »

My mother makes the best potato dumplings.... and sadly enough.....

none of my friends even know what they are.

Well Erin, that's your opportunity to educate them! Wink
KiernanKate
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2007, 11:06PM »

Trust me..... I love educating them on the good things in life. Cheesy
Maggie
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2007, 11:10PM »

Oops sorry! Embarrassed So everyone enjoy the recipes and forget the Irish part. Wink  Cheesy Cheesy

It's understandable that they are in a "Saint Patrick's Day" section, because they are the American version of what they think Irish people eat.

Yes, shepherd's pie was originally meant to be made from sheep, hence the name, but my family and most Irish Pubs make it from ground beef these days.
I think it's because we can't bear the thought of those poor little baa-lambs going through the mincer!!! Cry
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2008, 10:18PM »

Here is a recipe for Orange Spice Bread for your bread maker. I just made it and YUMMY! Smiley

Orange Spice Bread

2 tsp yeast
3 C bread flour (I used all-purpose and it came out fine)
3 TBL sugar
1 tsp salt
peel from 1 large or 2 med oranges, grated
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
5 TBL butter
2 eggs
2/3 C milk
1/2 C raisins (optional)

Bake on light setting if available. Let cool.

In a bowl combine 1/4 powdered sugar and enough orange juice to make a glaze. Pour on top if desired.
I made the glaze and put some in a little bowl and dipped pieces of my bread in it. That way you can put your own desired amount on and for those who don't want any can have some too. ENJOY! Cheesy
Anderpaw
Total Fanatic

Love the pipes!

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2008, 06:17PM »

I realize it has been a while since anyone has posted on this thread, but I am looking for a good recipe for Irish Potato Soup. It needs to serve about a dozen people. We are a having a Soup and Games night for the church choir next weekend, and I may have to double the recipe.

donnis

Kelly Family Crest

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2008, 12:39AM »

this serves about 8 people  Cooking time is about 1 hour or so.
2 lbs of potatoes
2 onions  (can be any variety you wish)
1 small carrot
bayleaf, parsley and thyme  (use the fresh stuff instead of the dried, it's better)
salt and pepper
2 pints of chicken stock  (you can make it yourself or use the ready stuff)
1 pint of milk
2 oz of butter
peel and slice the potatoes, onions and carrot.  Melt the butter in a large saucepan and put the onions in keep stirring to get them soft but not brown.  (I think my mom said this was sweating them)  Add potatoes and carrot.  Stir in the stock and milk.  Tie the bayleaf, thyme and parsley together and add with pepper and salt to taste. (I like a lot of pepper)  Simmer gently for about an hour and then pour through a sieve or use a food processor to liquify it.  Add some cream before serving and sprinkle top with chives. 

This will be just like mum used to make...because she did.  But I have not made it since she passed away.  She used to pressure cook chickens to make the stock and that is too much trouble for me.  So I don't know if that is what you want or not.  But it tastes good. 

Now I'm hungry.

Donnis

L isa  I s  S imply  A wesome

Meallan muilte Dé go mall ach meallan siad go mion.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: